Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Beachcomber posted:

Did pier 1 sell anything useful, or was it all boomer decorative crap?
I want one of those cocktail shakers that looks like a penguin.

They had some alright stuff, but like a lot of these stores, it was all overpriced until it was on clearance at 75% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
In the late 90's and early aughts Pier 1 filled a valuable place in the furniture and home decor biz. For a long while it was one of the few places you could still find affordable solid wood furniture. But the ascent of TJMaxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods and online retail like Wayfair, along with their own degredation in quality, has left them with no niche at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've learned never to buy a wooden bed frame. You have to spend big bucks to anything made out of actual wood.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah if you're going to buy wooden furniture just get it made. I priced out two pieces from Ikea that totaled over $800 when I could probably get one large piece to do the same thing for a little bit more if I went to an independent wood worker.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

Those big round chairs that looked like upturned mushroom caps.

Pier 1's greatest achievement, papasan

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Epitope posted:

My mother had one of those. drat, it was great to read in.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I dont get rhe loving point of gift shops sovanier shops etc. Why do i need shotglasses from dubai or hawaii all over my house.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I dont get rhe loving point of gift shops sovanier shops etc. Why do i need shotglasses from dubai* or hawaii* (made in a country foreign to where it's being sold, no less) all over my house.

Because the practice predates the smartphone camera.
They're for olds

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I dont get rhe loving point of gift shops sovanier shops etc. Why do i need shotglasses from dubai or hawaii all over my house.

I buy a refrigerator magnet everywhere i go v:shobon:v

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mister Facetious posted:

Because the practice predates the smartphone camera.
They're for olds
I like stupid tourist mugs :colbert:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Epitope posted:

How to murder an entire quadrant of a room in one easy item!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Not saying I haven't bought my share of t-shirts, or keychains and postcards myself too...

(but buy local art instead)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Weirdly shaped pintglasses are cool.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ReidRansom posted:

:hf:

It's a fun little way to do souvenirs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Epitope posted:

My grandparents started a small import business in the 80s after they retired and did a bunch of world traveling. Those chairs were one of their biggest sellers and I spent a large amount of my free time at the store napping on a giant stack up f them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I used to work for Pier1 and almost everything they sell is Chinese garbage.

The furniture from Vietnam was actually pretty decent for the price though.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rent-A-Cop posted:

HootTheOwl posted:

Weirdly shaped pintglasses are cool.

ReidRansom posted:

OK BOOMERS

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I buy shot glasses and I don't even drink

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Where do you put all of those magnets shaped like refrigerators?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Doctor Butts posted:

Where do you put all of those magnets shaped like refrigerators?

On a magnet shaped refrigerator, of course.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I used to work for Pier1 and almost everything they sell is Chinese garbage.

The furniture from Vietnam was actually pretty decent for the price though.

Vietnam's manufacturing niche is "Being better than Chinese quality."

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

BlueBlazer posted:

Vietnam's manufacturing niche is "Being better than Chinese quality."

They also are really, really good at rattan. Like notable worldwide for it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

idk maybe you can try to google "what is a souvenir?"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I moved into a new place with a nonmagnetic fridge, so what do I do with all these. :negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

idk maybe you can try to google "what is a souvenir?"

its that method of cooking food in a plastic bag immersed in heated water. :eng101:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
A nonmagnetic fridge? Such a thing exists?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

its that method of cooking food in a plastic bag immersed in heated water. :eng101:

That's sous vide.

This is saying goodbye in French.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

A nonmagnetic fridge? Such a thing exists?

They absolutely do, mine is non-magnetic as well (has a pressed wood panel in front to match the rest of the kitchen)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Strange, I find being able to put stuff on the front of the fridge is useful.

Didn't know this about Amazon: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2020/01/08/walmart-has-made-a-genius-move-to-beat-amazon/#406a54531119

quote:

According to The New York Times, the average Amazon order for one-day shipping is $8.32, which costs $10.59 for Amazon to fulfill. Because of shipping, Amazon’s megastore is losing money on most sales.
drat son. Wonder what they're planning to do about that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I’d imagine nothing. Surely small orders are a loss leader for amazon, allowing them to become more central to people’s lives, physical consumption, media consumption, and the functioning of the internet as a whole.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If they’re really that concerned they’ll just set more products as add ons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, you really need to check prices on Amazon. I recently got into knitting and I started out buying yarn and needles and poo poo on Amazon. The availability is poo poo, the filters are poo poo, the prices are anywhere from 150%-200% what they are at another site (which actually categorises things in a non-hateful way so you can find them!). The $6 shipping versus free Prime shipping doesn’t matter because you aren’t get hooped by the insane Amazon prices.

If they’re making an extra $2-3/order because their poo poo is wildly overpriced, “losing” $1 on shipping still works out nicely for them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PT6A posted:

Also, you really need to check prices on Amazon. I recently got into knitting and I started out buying yarn and needles and poo poo on Amazon. The availability is poo poo, the filters are poo poo, the prices are anywhere from 150%-200% what they are at another site (which actually categorises things in a non-hateful way so you can find them!). The $6 shipping versus free Prime shipping doesn’t matter because you aren’t get hooped by the insane Amazon prices.

If they’re making an extra $2-3/order because their poo poo is wildly overpriced, “losing” $1 on shipping still works out nicely for them.

It's this, Amazon hasn't been price competitive for a number of years now (at best they'll just pricematch whatever brick and mortar has it on sale) and for a ton of stuff they're way more expensive. 3rd party reseller have taken advantage of our laziness and drop ship poo poo from Walmart or Ross or Dollar Tree at 500% markups because people don't know any better.

There's been a few articles out last year that were just like "I bought something on Amazon but then I discovered that it was drop shipped from somewhere cheaper! How not to get screwed!"

Like this idiot who overspent $20 (!!!) on buying tea

quote:

A few weeks ago, I added some chai tea to my cart on Amazon, clicked the buy button, and didn’t think anything more of it.

That is, until it arrived a couple days later in a Walmart box.

I looked on Walmart’s website and found that what I’d ordered was a whopping $19 cheaper from the retail giant than what I paid on Amazon (I’d ordered the tea in bulk). Since Walmart offers two-day free shipping on orders over $35, the seller pocketed almost $20 on a single transaction, making both me and Amazon look a bit foolish in the process.

Or this guy who spent 2x as much on diapers on Amazon that came from Walmart

quote:

When my wife and I shop together, that typically means that she sends me a link to buy something on Amazon. That was also the case with these pull ups that she wanted me to order for our two-year-old.

I ordered them on Amazon and was slightly surprised when a box from Walmart arrived. At first I thought maybe Walmart was also now shipping through Amazon. But according to a Recode article some online retailers offer a product on one site for one price and buy it on another for a cheaper price and then ship it to you directly.

As you can see in the picture below, the packaging is off. Instead of getting two boxes with 52 pull-ups we received one with 66 and one with 48.

I didn’t even notice until my wife told me that she was surprised that they came in different boxes. So I started inquiring some more and found the prices for those pull up counts on the Walmart site.

So basically I paid $80 for something this seller bought on Walmart for $40. As you might imagine I’m not so happy about my deal after all.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 9, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Amazon also has terrible quality control when it comes to inferior bootlegs. Never buy sex toys from Amazon.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I bought a manual coffee grinder from Amazon because I literally couldn't find one anywhere in the five department stores around me. I knew I was getting a good one because Amazon had at least half a dozen listings for identical products, only cheaper and each from a different manufacturer. One had photoshopped coffee beans into one of the product pictures, poorly. I figured if so many chinese scam e-stores were going to that kind of effort to rip it off it must be a good one.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Anyone who uses Amazon/thinks two packs of diapers is $80 deserves every single bad thing that is going to happen to them. :colbert:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

i am harry posted:

Anyone who uses Amazon/thinks two packs of diapers is $80 deserves every single bad thing that is going to happen to them. :colbert:

I have never had a child, but this seems high even to me.

I will say that I also have, in recent years, started making much broader searches for things rather than just going to Amazon unless I'm in a hurry. For example, when I want a physical copy of an old game I will check ebay, local game shops, this place in New Jersey that has its own site etc before I commit. 2-day shipping on many/most things is nice, but time is a luxury that I have - money isn't.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JustJeff88 posted:

I have never had a child, but this seems high even to me.

it is high

a months supply of infant diapers should be closer to $65

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

One thing that I'll say for Amazon is that when they say Free Shipping they really mean it, even to Hawaii. There have been a million times when I've been on some other site to buy some cart with a few nominal small things, such as tea, and the website advertises free shipping to the continental US and then at checkout it's like "UPS Ground Shipping - $76" for Hawaii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Macy's closing 28 more stores: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/macys-to-close-28-stores-2020-01-09?mod=mw_quote_news