Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Also found out that Tychus is good now, if your opponents pick Garrosh Azmodan Muradin Butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

No Wave posted:

Man Alarak's so annoying to have around because I keep playing him and I have fun and also get extremely irritated. His mechanics are fantastic but he can't merc or wave clear which is a huge problem for a melee assassin. I'm shocked his win rate is as high as it is (48%).

You don't have to push very fast if you murder the other team every single team fight.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there something I'm missing about junkrat? He seems super squishy, has no sustain, loses lane to all the real laners, and gets smashed to bits by people like tracer or Lunara.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Toshimo posted:

Is there something I'm missing about junkrat? He seems super squishy, has no sustain, loses lane to all the real laners, and gets smashed to bits by people like tracer or Lunara.

His only real major benefit seems to be his mine displacement, and some other heroes can do that while being a better hero.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Toshimo posted:

He can take a minion wave which is neatly clumped up to be destroyed by a large aoe ability and spread it all over the entire lane, better even than ETC can. That's something?

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
Junkrat is like a harder to play Garrosh with an ok root and decent poke.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

tcjimbo posted:

I like trap build Junkrat, since with 3 homing indestructible traps and a mine you can just completely disorganize and frustrate an enemy team, leading to more situations where your team can pounce on an enemy that gets trapped or launched out of position. I also tend to grab the 3-grenade burst talent even if it's not technically as good as the other two, to improve his burst damage - it's pretty nice if you can nail enemies on the head straight on with it so they don't have much of a chance to dodge. Plus, giving a hearty 'gently caress you' when you're in danger of dying by getting a free hearth and killing or all-but-killing a squishy hero with rocket ride is fantastic. I'm always embarassed by other junkrats on QM who can't hit the broad side of a barn with rocket ride, yet alone a moving target, though.

His ability to poke from over terrain at a huge distance is really nice for getting those runners that would otherwise escape and for making it impossible for the enemy team to capture anything that requires channeling without actually putting yourself in danger (doubly so if you can scatter some traps between you and then and have an escape mine ready).

He's mediocre to bad as an assassin though, so it's weird that he's categorized as one. (though I do get top hero damage more often than I'd think, even if the actual amount of kills is lower than you'd think with very high damage)

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 23, 2017

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

junkrat is fun as hell but his skill ceiling is really high. once you have three large adult sons you can drop off he’s incredibly good at setting up kills

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Holy crap

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I want to get Valeera to 5 before the stealth changes make her even more trash. What's the least painful build to do that in QM?

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

tcjimbo posted:

You're not wrong - but his root and poke is great so long as you both A) know where and when to trap and B) land your goddamn grenades. He does have a very high skill ceiling and you can definitely tell the difference in a bad Junkrat and good one.

On another note: My wife and I are going to one of the Overwatch preseason games at the Blizz Arena on December the 6th. I'm rooting for the LA Glads and making a poster to brandish, but you drat well know I'm going to write "Don't play with tcjimbo" on the other side.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Put Some English On It > Taste For Explosions > Spread Volley > Cannonball! makes for some hilarious late-game nadespam. Probably not the most effective thing in the world, but it's chaos and chaos is good :brrring:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mierenneuker posted:

Put Some English On It > Taste For Explosions > Spread Volley > Cannonball! makes for some hilarious late-game nadespam. Probably not the most effective thing in the world, but it's chaos and chaos is good :brrring:

The biggest problem is that he's Old-School Kael bad pre-16, without being Old-School Kael busted post-16.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Looks like the next Brawl is something special: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21273593

quote:

Things aren’t looking great, soldier. You’re stranded on Braxis and the UED is overrun. The Omegaswarm has surrounded you on all sides, and your only shot at survival is to press through the onslaught, make it to the extraction point, and get off this forsaken rock. Will you fall victim to the Swarm, or can you work together and Escape from Braxis?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If you're losing lanes as junkrat you're not a good junkrat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've played quite a bit of junkrat since his release so I'll try to give some tips instead of just being snarky.

Seriously though, you shouldn't be losing lanes. He can wave-clear super easily and safely. If they're being super aggressive, punish them for it by mining them back towards your towers (or even over your gate if they make it all the way there.)

If you're going for your grenade quest (and most of the time I think you should) you need to be landing 95% of your grenades on enemy heroes, like Caeks said. Ideally on multiple heroes at a time. If you're wasting grenades you're going to be completely useless in teamfights and aren't going to keep up damage-wise into the late game. Don't rush, line your grenades up carefully to make sure you're getting those fat stacks. If you see a group of enemies who are paying attention to something else (such as clearing a wave), poke them a bit from a distance. They won't take enough damage to care, and even if they do it's nearly impossible to chase down junkrat, so it's free stacks.

Use your trap to deny bushes, flank routes, or even just throw it out into the lane during teamfights. Don't throw it in the middle of a lane though, or it'll probably just get wasted on a minion.

The mine is an extremely versatile displacement tool. It can throw squishies into your team, throw dive characters out of the fight, save your squishies who are trying to retreat, and a lot more. One thing I don't see it used much for: if your team is clearly losing a teamfight, throw one right in the middle of the enemy clump and detonate. You may or may not save your teammates, but at the very least it will disorient your opponents long enough to maybe survive.

Junkrat doesn't always get a lot of kills, but he can do a serious amount of hero damage. His purpose is to keep consistent dps out on the enemy team to force them to waste mana on heals and hopefully scare off their squishies.

Those are some quick ones. I could give more but I am tired of typing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ya, ok. I want to live in your world where Junkrat wins lanes vs Nazeebo/Xul/Zagara.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Taste for Explosions is great, but I find it very hard to stack, and it’s so hard to give up the talent for three traps at once. Especially once your traps are large, having three of them at once screws up the enemy team so, so badly. I suppose on maps like Tomb and Blackhearts it loses some utility, but on Shrines and other maps where you skirmish around an objective, you can create nightmarish engages for the enemy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Ya, ok. I want to live in your world where Junkrat wins lanes vs Nazeebo/Xul/Zagara.

You already do bud. Those are all strong laners but they don't have the ability to harass junkrat enough without wasting a ton of mana. Like I said, if they're just going for minion waves you're golden, junk can clear just as fast as any of them. If they're going for you instead, stay back and whittle them down with your superior poke.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Taste for Explosions is great, but I find it very hard to stack, and it’s so hard to give up the talent for three traps at once. Especially once your traps are large, having three of them at once screws up the enemy team so, so badly. I suppose on maps like Tomb and Blackhearts it loses some utility, but on Shrines and other maps where you skirmish around an objective, you can create nightmarish engages for the enemy.

I haven't tried the trap build but I can see it being good, especially if you've got enough damage on your team already.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PantsBandit posted:

I haven't tried the trap build but I can see it being good, especially if you've got enough damage on your team already.

I actually faced a Junkrat in a 4-stack today in QM that went full-on trap build on Towers and it was a loving nightmare to deal with. Like, the area denial was bonkers.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
DAMNIT BLIZZARD LET ME HANJO IN HOTS ALREADY

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

DAMNIT BLIZZARD LET ME HANJO IN HOTS ALREADY

So, basically:
- locked camera
- no quickcast, you can only use abilities by clicking on the HUD icons
- no attack-move, no stutter-stepping
- no shift-queuing

Any obvious handicaps I missed? (besides wild stuff like playing with a DDR pad or steering wheel) I'd add "never mount up" to the list, but there already are plenty of players who do that...

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

man i play with like half of those "handicaps" :(

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
The new brawl is pretty drat fun and gives decent exp to boot. About 118k for 8 minutes of playing. Should be even better with a full party and a stimpack.
I hope Blizzard is gonna make more PVE content like this in the future.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

man i play with like half of those "handicaps" :(

To be fair, "you can only use abilities by clicking on the HUD icons" is a far bigger handicap than the rest. I'd say it is the essence of "i hanjo" in this game.

The other handicaps are purely to minimize efficiency, for both casual and veteran players alike. I don't think most players even do things like shift-queuing. It took me more than a year before I used it for anything but 'walk towards and use healing fountain > walk back to lane' myself.

MG42 posted:

The new brawl is pretty drat fun and gives decent exp to boot. About 118k for 8 minutes of playing. Should be even better with a full party and a stimpack.
I hope Blizzard is gonna make more PVE content like this in the future.

I wouldn't mind a monthly PvE Brawl either. Supports feel a bit iffy tho. Most of the time it seems like the healing globes and item pick-ups are enough to keep people healthy, so you mostly want to top people off with your heals. So heroes like Kharazim, Lucio and Brightwing and then I'd pick Kharazim every time since he can facetank Banelings all day if he takes the healing trait and never stops punching.

Edit: Twin Blades Varian is also a legitimate pick in this Brawl.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 24, 2017

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
More offensive supports like Rehgar (full lightning shield build) and Kharazim (insight + deadly reach build) are definitely more fun to play.
Especially since you can use builds you wouldn't during regular matches. All the enemies count as minions for quests like seasoned marksman, netting you a ridiculous amount of stacks. Super strong James Eugene "Jim" Raynor is pretty drat fun that way.

Hell, even Rain of Destruction is useful in this mode.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also regen globes drop like candy so you can generally complete or come close to completing any of those quests by the end of the first stage.

It's definitely a cool mode and the XP payout is nice, but it feels a little undercooked to me. Slightly too easy, slightly too repetitive. I think I like it better than any of League's PvE stuff though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The amount of XP you get is crazy but the game is like a bad SC2 custom map. PvE takes a ton of work... even this event was probably difficult to justify for a brawl in terms of hours spent.

As far as I can tell this brawl is unlosable (the only minion that does damage is the monstrosity on phase 2) so pick anyone.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I want to opt out of this so bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Needs a difficulty setting like Overwatch's PvE events.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I want this to be harder and more crazy. Like swarms of zerglings, not these handfuls of one-shot kill quest dummies.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

It's a neat event but I just got 3 teams of 4 wiped by Lucios that literally don't do anything, or run ahead and treat it like a speedrun. Actually trying to play well and win seems like a thing that's not well rewarded enough. I just wish there was a way to ask not to be queued with people you dislike and have reported for not trying to win.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

It's a neat event but I just got 3 teams of 4 wiped by Lucios that literally don't do anything, or run ahead and treat it like a speedrun. Actually trying to play well and win seems like a thing that's not well rewarded enough. I just wish there was a way to ask not to be queued with people you dislike and have reported for not trying to win.

Q U E U E W I T H G O O N S

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Toshimo posted:

Q U E U E W I T H G O O N S

why are you silenced

I need a 5th for TL right now :mad:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

A full on dow2 style the last stand mode would be a pretty fun addition but I can just imagine the nightmare in balancing it. It's fun how much the diablo monk is in the mode though.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

So, basically:
- locked camera
- no quickcast, you can only use abilities by clicking on the HUD icons
- no attack-move, no stutter-stepping
- no shift-queuing

Any obvious handicaps I missed? (besides wild stuff like playing with a DDR pad or steering wheel) I'd add "never mount up" to the list, but there already are plenty of players who do that...

Stutter-stepping is a really loving annoying to do and I hate it. Also I've never heard of "shift-queuing", what is that? Edit: googled it, didn't know HotS had that capability. Nice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Can you only brawl with heroes level 5+?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is the PvE brawl available on live servers, or only on PTR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SirSamVimes posted:

Is the PvE brawl available on live servers, or only on PTR?

Live, and it's a fixed 110k xp/run + Stimpack/Friend bonus. And sub-8 minute runs are easy if your group's not super dumb.