Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strangelet Wave posted:

one girl in my class with 1-1/2” acrylics could expertly use every single device on campus except 1) the disc sander and 2) the parking meter, which was one of the ones that required you to fully insert your credit card lengthwise into a recessed slot

its a skill you definitely wonder if it needed to be honed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if i skip cutting my nails too long, typing on a keyboard sucks real bad & thats only up to maybe 4-5mm

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Carthag Tuek posted:

this is really cool

my parents have an egg boiler looks almost like this one
https://www.soft-electronics.com/object/philips_egg_boiler_1981?subcat=egg%20boiler&grid=

it didnt have a switch, it just went BRRRRRRRRRRRRR when the water boiled off and you had to pull the plug. so dad cut the cable and put a switch there, way less stresful. it still goes BRRRRRR but we can turn it off faster and still get perfect eggs

the cup there, it has three scales printed on it for hard medium & soft boiled depending on how many eggs (less water for more eggs, and less water for softer eggs, im guessing the BRR trigger is when the pan is dry?)

anyway we do itt perfect every time, even since the scales wore off and we just eyeball the water

Ours it slightly different looking but works exactly the same! It does a solidly consistent job and has for ages, to the point I'm not sure how I even got it (as a gift?), and the little metal plate is discolored but it still soldiers on making a half dozen eggs loudly

Zamujasa posted:

probably the same way rice cookers detect when the rice is "done"; water boiling off keeps it from heating up past a certain point, once the water's gone there's nothing stopping it so brrrrrrrrrr

That's really cool. I always wondered how it detected it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

Ours it slightly different looking but works exactly the same! It does a solidly consistent job and has for ages, to the point I'm not sure how I even got it (as a gift?), and the little metal plate is discolored but it still soldiers on making a half dozen eggs loudly

I know the World-Wide Web is full of completely bullshit "YOU CAN USE VINEGAR TO" but you actually probably can use vinegar to clean it. Worked for me. Just fill the base with vinegar and turn the cooker on. Boil for several minutes or until the machine turns itself off.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i got it

write a program that writes an image of the 5.25" floppy to one of the 3.5" disks. then insert a new 5.25" and write the image back

you could definitely do this in basic

ended up buying a 20 year old usb floppy drive. newer ones couldn't deal with a double density floppy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

outhole surfer posted:

ended up buying a 20 year old usb floppy drive. newer ones couldn't deal with a double density floppy

a usb 5.25" drive? where in the world

e: hmm i guess if you could find an IDE 5.25" drive, an old CD enclosure would work

on that note, funy tech poo poo i just remembered: external enclosures for IDE 5.25" CD/DVD drives, and then getting rid of it + the drive when SATA became a thing like two years later

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 27, 2024

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Agile Vector posted:

That's really cool. I always wondered how it detected it

I think this was posted before, but it was how I learned how a rice cooker works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
SCSI

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

I’d love a SCSI rice cooker to hook up to my Power Mac.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

yes, your scsi-ness is well known around here

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

echinopsis posted:

idk it wasn’t obvious to me when I learned water boils at 100C but you can’t heat water in a pot past 100c it’s impossible.

:eng101: Actually, it turns out that you c-

echinopsis posted:

strictly you can heat water above 100 or below 0 and keep it liquid, you can do it in a microwave and create a future steam explosion or a cool tiktok where someone taps a bottle of water and it freezes in front of you. which is why I said in a pot in case someone :actually: me

:eng99: Damnit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wait'll you find out what USB Mass Storage is...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can heat water to below 0?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You can heat water to below 0?

the actual reaction where the water molecules stack up into a crystal requires a nucleation point

normally they’re everywhere so water just freezes, but there’s a way to cool heat it below 0 without initiating this, idk how to do it, but then you can strike the vessel or whatever and watch the crystallisation form in front of your eyes

I haven’t watched this but it looks like this is what I am talking about

https://youtu.be/hd4Z86sIJGk?si=Uf83TQPoSYDdNudX

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

:eng101: Actually, it turns out that you c-

:eng99: Damnit.

lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the login to ibm's programs, where it would show a series of pictures as you type in your password

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The_Franz posted:

yes, your scsi-ness is well known around here

i'm too SCSI for my posts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
PCMCIA

no idea what that poo poo was

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
people can't memorize confusing industry acronyms

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
and yet, almost nobody wants to use the names cardbus or expresscard, despite them being way easier

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
mini sd cards

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
those rule tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had this drum machine thing and it was sweet that you could store samples and data on one, cheap and easy

now if we talking about funy : compact flash

wasn’t it literally ide??

I had an older canon camera and let my son use it and somehow he bent one pin, and for all intents and purposes the camera was hosed

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

yes. i use passive adapters to put cf cards in old arcade games

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

I had this drum machine thing and it was sweet that you could store samples and data on one, cheap and easy

I had an older canon camera and let my son use it and somehow he bent one pin, and for all intents and purposes the camera was hosed

he probably tried to put the card in backwards and forced it when it didnt go. the edge keys on those aren't very robust

if people can fix bent cpu pins with no issue, surely you can fix one cf card pin?

get in there with some tweezers and a pick, i guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh I gave it a shot with the tools I had on hand, but couldn’t get it down that skinny slot

pulling apart the camera may have worked but I didn’t have the tools for that and by then it was decade plus old lowest model in the range, wasn’t worth persevering with, and tbh had a bit of fun breaking it apart and looking at all the bits

if the camera was worth more I would have been pissed lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

pcmcia cards in general but I'm pretty sure I remember one that was a gsm modem being for sale in the electronics shop I worked in

it probably had a box with a picture of a business guy in the move on it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I know the World-Wide Web is full of completely bullshit "YOU CAN USE VINEGAR TO" but you actually probably can use vinegar to clean it. Worked for me. Just fill the base with vinegar and turn the cooker on. Boil for several minutes or until the machine turns itself off.

ooo, thanks! I'm gonna try this next time. I've been unsure how to clean it, since I don't want to get he rest wet

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think this was posted before, but it was how I learned how a rice cooker works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

also thanks! I don't know how I missed this. gonna plop down to watch since his stuff is great

echinopsis posted:

eh I gave it a shot with the tools I had on hand, but couldn’t get it down that skinny slot

one of the best handy gifts I got was a pair of small needle nose pliers specifically because they've helped me straighten out hard-to-reach pins like that. I want to say it was an ide connector I had bent somehow in an old frankenstein parts machine?

anyways, they were usually for pulling jumpers and the long, narrow tip was perfect for gently correcting hasty error

I also flattened the thin video connector fins/pins on a laptop mobo once, which I stressfully corrected by slowly pushing into place with an exacto blade. the reason it was disassembled? repainting a worn silver laptop case black, literally fixing something that wasn't broken

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it may have been a carving blade, now that I think about it, since I was able to lift most of a row of fins at a time, but it wasn't any less stressful

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

PCMCIA

It was input-autput to connect your personnel computer to your McIntosh Apple.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

echinopsis posted:

PCMCIA

my tv still has a pcmcia card slot because some european cable operators used it for their account cards

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

njsykora posted:

my tv still has a pcmcia card slot because some european cable operators used it for their account cards

oh is that what that's for? I always wondered

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the US had cablecard which was some very funy tech poo poo https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CableCARD

quote:

The CableCARD was the outcome of a U.S. federal government objective, directed in the Telecommunications Act of 1996, to provide a robust competitive retail market for set-top boxes so consumers did not have to use proprietary equipment from the cable operators. It was believed that this would provide consumers with more choices and lower costs.

lol. lmao, too.

there was also something about having to put firewire ports on cable boxes. not sure if those were ever used by anyone for anything ever.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

people can't memorize confusing industry acronyms
technology without an interesting name

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

since we're on dumb connection stuff, dell d/bay, their attempt to have a proprietary connection for their external drives that could also just be a usb port on the laptop

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

more like dell d-bag

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
dell div d/voe

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

pulling apart the camera may have worked but I didn’t have the tools for that and by then it was decade plus old lowest model in the range, wasn’t worth persevering with, and tbh had a bit of fun breaking it apart and looking at all the bits

if the camera was worth more I would have been pissed lol

it's pretty easy to fix bent CF pins with a strong, thin tweezer. i've done it probably hundreds of times over the past 20 years

Raluek posted:

he probably tried to put the card in backwards and forced it when it didnt go. the edge keys on those aren't very robust

this was likely the exact problem. literally every time i'd bent a pin this was why. sometimes with really lovely cheap devices (readers, always be sure to get a decent one for CF) they break off, but a reader is way cheaper to replace than a camera

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
CF is still pretty good imo, it was also way faster than SD for a very long time (and still is really). i picked up a bunch of toshiba 32 gb CF cards on clearance for $15 each that do UDMA7 and they regularly hit a sustained 150 MB/sec, so i use them for storage

and because they're NOR flash they don't have the same problems with slow fragmented writes that SD cards do

echinopsis posted:

PCMCIA

fun fact, PCMCIA is pin-compatible with CF, so you just need a passive adapter, and boom, instant SSD for your old-rear end laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SO DEMANDING posted:

there was also something about having to put firewire ports on cable boxes. not sure if those were ever used by anyone for anything ever.

i used it to transfer recordings from a comcast dvr in like 2007. they didn't set the copyright flag (which was always easy to defeat anyway). slice out the commercials with ffmpeg and boom you got your own pirating material there

you could also use it to program the dvr, so being a tremendous nerd i wrote my own program to do that (but pretty much never used it). apple used to offer a framework for it