Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Pillman wasn't booked in the match, but supposedly Hogan tried to get him in it.

He was booked and advertised, WCW was trying to get him to agree to do it until the day of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MassRafTer posted:

He was booked and advertised, WCW was trying to get him to agree to do it until the day of the show.

So they booked and advertised a man who they knew had surgery planned for that weekend. And continued to try and bully him into doing the match?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

BrigadierSensible posted:

So they booked and advertised a man who they knew had surgery planned for that weekend. And continued to try and bully him into doing the match?

It was more that Pillman didn't fancy the Hogan treatment so booked his surgery as a good way to get out of having to do the match.

But WCW shouldn't have advertised him as being in the match for sure. Though many sentences can start with "but WCW shouldn't have ....."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

IIRC they didn't even know if he actually had a surgery that day.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pillman outsmarting everybody in WCW is still my favorite behind the scenes story from WCW.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pillman outsmarting everybody in WCW is still my favorite behind the scenes story from WCW.

Mine too, but only if you're including the 'Pillman calls everyone into the bathroom to show off his gigantic poop' incident in there.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Can we get more Brian Pillman stories because every single one I've heard has been fantastic

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

ParanoidInc posted:

Can we get more Brian Pillman stories because every single one I've heard has been fantastic

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.pro-wrestling/HPjXw87-dp4/farC1WnTeX0J

Meltzer writing about Pillman's life/career, a really good read.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do we know what Kevin Nash thinks of Brian Pillman? Apart from most likely calling him a vanilla midget.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I got WWE Network just to watch that period of WCW where it was still NWA and WCW was just the show or whatever, it's confusing. But the booking was terrible even back then. I just watched Halloween Havoc 1990; overall not too many bad matches, but Sting vs Sid ends up in a clusterfuck as Sting comes to the ring, tries to lift Sid, can't do it, falls over and is pinned losing the belt. Then Sting runs in, stinger splashes Sid and rolls him up for the win.

They completely forgot to film the part where 'Barry Windham acting as Sting' after getting pinned leaves the ring and runs into the actual Sting who does, I don't know, anything, like punching the fake Sting or something? Since Barry Windham left the same way Sting came in it just looked like Sting was upset he got clowned and was beating up Sid like a sore loser.

They seem to realise the mistake and cut to a still shot of the camera they should've cut to where Sting looks at faux-Sting during the recap and Jim Ross stumbles over himself trying to tell the story.

Now I'm onto Capital Combat 1990: Return of Robocop. God Help Me.

fakedit: Norman was really over, drat.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pathetic little tramp posted:

I got WWE Network just to watch that period of WCW where it was still NWA and WCW was just the show or whatever, it's confusing. But the booking was terrible even back then. I just watched Halloween Havoc 1990; overall not too many bad matches, but Sting vs Sid ends up in a clusterfuck as Sting comes to the ring, tries to lift Sid, can't do it, falls over and is pinned losing the belt. Then Sting runs in, stinger splashes Sid and rolls him up for the win.

They completely forgot to film the part where 'Barry Windham acting as Sting' after getting pinned leaves the ring and runs into the actual Sting who does, I don't know, anything, like punching the fake Sting or something? Since Barry Windham left the same way Sting came in it just looked like Sting was upset he got clowned and was beating up Sid like a sore loser.

They seem to realise the mistake and cut to a still shot of the camera they should've cut to where Sting looks at faux-Sting during the recap and Jim Ross stumbles over himself trying to tell the story.

Now I'm onto Capital Combat 1990: Return of Robocop. God Help Me.

fakedit: Norman was really over, drat.

Watch the "Timeline: WCW 1989" shoot with Jim Cornette - really good account of why WCW was a giant clusterfuck behind the scenes (hint: it's because they hired a manager from Pizza Hut to be their Vice President)

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
My favorite Jim Herd story, and there are tons, is Rip Rogers's account of the time Herd wanted to fire Bobby Eaton for not winning matches.

Also Cornette talking about how if Herd had a 6'6", 275lb man with one leg, he'd "have [his] Long John Silver." Because Herd's thing was giving guys gimmicks from movies, and he thinks Treasure Island is just a movie. And that a one-legged person could possibly weigh 275 lbs without being obese

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My favorite Jim Herd story is the one where he wanted to hire a hunchback wrestler. Cause that way he could never be pinned, he'd just roll around in the ring.

I think it was on Cornette's podcast episode with Sullivan where they just bullshitted for half an hour talking about what a train wreck Herd-era WCW was and all his bad ideas. Their business was completely dead between 1990 and 1995.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Luigi Thirty posted:

My favorite Jim Herd story is the one where he wanted to hire a hunchback wrestler. Cause that way he could never be pinned, he'd just roll around in the ring.

I think it was always implied but never stated that the Hunchbacks (he proposed it be a tag team for some reason) would be dudes with apparatuses strapped to their backs. This is another great example of how elusive Jim Herd's thought process is, because he thought a tag team that is unbeatable-by-birth-defect would be a big draw and that kids would love it. To be fair this was before people got tired of Hogan's unbeatable schtick. Anyway, Ole Anderson got him to drop the concept simply by pointing out that matches can also be won fairly by submission.

Apparently the idea was eventually negotiated down to the Ding Dongs, which, again, Herd thought would appeal greatly to kids. Because of the bells, which kids like or something?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Arachnaman was Herd's idea, wasn't it? Eight-year-old me thought Arachnaman sucked.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh, here's a perfect encapsulation of executive speak. So it's 1989 and Herd wants young fans. Focus groups say that the cool kid lingo travels from California to the east, and kids love skateboarding and extreme sports. Focus groups also say that the word "dynamic" is gonna be the next hot slang.

So he gets Johnny Ace and Shane Douglas, dresses them up like cool California guys (pink board shorts, neon shirts, mullets, knee pads), gives them skateboards, and calls them the Dynamic Dudes. Because that way when "dynamic" becomes cool in Atlanta in a few months, the kids will be all over it! Now, they're both pretty big guys pushing 30 and neither one can actually skate, and the whole thing came off as extremely, what's the word... flamboyant? to the Southern audience.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jim Herd's appearance on Wrestling Observer Live is really funny and you should all track it down on the board.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
World War 3 1995 Eric Bischoff warns us that it will be total chaos.

Can't say he didn't deliver!

HAHA They took The Yatay's toilet paper costume off and he is dressed like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. Super Assassin 1. Super Assassin 2. Bario Brother, and of course, #60, Hulk Hogan. What a crew!

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 19, 2015

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I'm still a little surprised that Hogan allowed Savage to go over at WW3 '95, didn't he have some provision, something he got in return for that?

Also "LAWL MEAN GENE CHECK OUT THIS RAGSHEET DUDE"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was Jim Herd around for the Black Scorpion angle? Because that totally sounds like a Jim Herd idea.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Benne posted:

Was Jim Herd around for the Black Scorpion angle? Because that totally sounds like a Jim Herd idea.

No, that was Ole Anderson, who had more than his fair share of horrible booking ideas.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

everyone who booked WCW had their fair share of horrible booking ideas

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Everyone who has ever written anything has had their fair share of horrible ideas.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Everyone has had their fair share of horrible ideas

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Benne posted:

I got to this blowoff at Starrcade. The crowd is just so... I don't know. There's this palpable feeling of "This went on for a year and now it's really really obvious that it's Ric Flair. Why did Ric Flair come to the ring in a spaceship. How much money did they spend on that stupid entrance. Why would the black scorpion have been from space. Life is pain."

Wasn't the original idea to make the Black Scorpion be some guy that Sting left in Vietnam back for revenge? Some guy named Craig I want to say?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That reminds me, what's the most ridiculous weapon ever brought out in a wrestling match? I suppose the answer is probably some insane thing from CZW, like that "devil's toothbrush" thing or the time they used a weedeater. I ask because I saw the Sid vs. Nightstalker match and him slapping Sid with the flat side of a giant battleaxe was the icing on the cake.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

A lollipop that Tommy Dreamer rubbed on his balls, next question.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

I got to this blowoff at Starrcade. The crowd is just so... I don't know. There's this palpable feeling of "This went on for a year and now it's really really obvious that it's Ric Flair. Why did Ric Flair come to the ring in a spaceship. How much money did they spend on that stupid entrance. Why would the black scorpion have been from space. Life is pain."

Wasn't the original idea to make the Black Scorpion be some guy that Sting left in Vietnam back for revenge? Some guy named Craig I want to say?

The Sgt. Craig Pittman thing that was suddenly changed from Vietnam to Desert Storm when they realized the demographics didn't make sense came later during the Nitro era and didn't involve Sting.

Craig Pittman's wiki article posted:

Pittman feuded with Cobra in 1995.[1] According to the storyline, he had been Cobra's commanding officer during the Gulf War. During a mission, he left Cobra behind, which led to Cobra seeking revenge in WCW.[8] This feud led to a match at 1995's Fall Brawl, in which Pittman defeated Cobra by submission.[1][9] In November 1995, Pittman also appeared at WCW's first World War 3 pay-per-view. In a sixty-man battle royal, he became the forty-second wrestler eliminated when Hugh Morrus threw him over the top rope.[1] Following the pay-per-view, Pittman bagan a quest to find a manager to guide his career. After propositioning the likes of Jimmy Hart, Bobby Heenan, and Steve McMichael, Pittman connected with Teddy Long, turning face in the process.[1]

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Jim Herd's appearance on Wrestling Observer Live is really funny and you should all track it down on the board.

When was it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Srfi8ldAFk

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Thauros posted:

The Sgt. Craig Pittman thing that was suddenly changed from Vietnam to Desert Storm when they realized the demographics didn't make sense came later during the Nitro era and didn't involve Sting.

However, Cobra later became nWo Sting, so Sting is still involved.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Halloween Jack posted:

That reminds me, what's the most ridiculous weapon ever brought out in a wrestling match? I suppose the answer is probably some insane thing from CZW, like that "devil's toothbrush" thing or the time they used a weedeater. I ask because I saw the Sid vs. Nightstalker match and him slapping Sid with the flat side of a giant battleaxe was the icing on the cake.

In Mick Foley's first book, he said the ECW fans tried to give the wrestlers a two man canoe to hit each other with.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

In Mick Foley's first book, he said the ECW fans tried to give the wrestlers a two man canoe to hit each other with.

Someone brought a car door into the ECW Arena and gave it to someone I forget. They rolled down the window and hit Sandman with it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Animal-Mother posted:

Could be a good spot.

I always liked the Good Housekeeping match, especially the ending twist that the intercontinental title was NOT a household object.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Doomsday Jesus posted:

World War 3 1995 Eric Bischoff warns us that it will be total chaos.

Can't say he didn't deliver!

HAHA They took The Yatay's toilet paper costume off and he is dressed like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. Super Assassin 1. Super Assassin 2. Bario Brother, and of course, #60, Hulk Hogan. What a crew!
The Yeti was originally supposed to be some other big guy that they could never actually get signed, right? Which is why his appearances are so hilarious in retrospect.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The YET-TAY was Reese. It was supposed to be GIANT loving GONZALEZ according to him but Giant Gonzalez got really sick and had to fly back to Argentina.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someone brought a car door into the ECW Arena and gave it to someone I forget. They rolled down the window and hit Sandman with it.

There was a cool hardcore match on the Syfy version of ECW where Tommy Dreamer brought a hot dog cart and a bunch of weapons out and Christian came out with a car door. I have no clue when it was but I remember Christian won with a Killswitch on the door in the middle of the ring and that Tommy Dreamer randomly ate a hot dog at one part.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
The reason THE YETAY was wrapped up like a mummy was so he could later be unwrapped to reveal Giant Gonzalez, probably in some version of the Giant Gonzalez bodysuit that had white hair instead. For whatever reason WCW never got Gonzalez signed, so the YETAY character was dropped completely and Reese redebuted as the Super Giant Ninja at WW3

Incidentally part of the gimmick of WW3 is that the Dungeon of Doom would have a GIANT in each ring -- the Giant, THE YETAY, and the Super Giant Ninja (As it happens, it takes the air out of the Giant's gimmick to A. debut a guy taller than him in the same stable and plan to bring in another who is taller still and B. Give him a name that makes him seem obviously superior to any plain old no-adjective, non-ninja Giant).

What ended up happening was that the Super Giant Ninja had no affiliation with the DoD that I recall, and with no Gonzalez Yeti they promoted HULK HOGAN as the third giant even though, like, he's not that huge, especially compared to the other two.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

DynamiteKidd posted:

Super Giant Ninja
I thought this was some sort of joke name, but Google reveals that no, that's really what he was called. Oh WCW :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Finding out that the Yeti became tall, useless Scorpion was one of my favorite moments of watching random bullshit on the network.