Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
the 2002 He-Man was kinda interesting in how while a reboot, it also apparently has some hints of being a prequel to the original show, with the younger Adam and the burying of a macguffin that was dug up by Skeletor in one of the first episodes of the original.

I'm guessing with She-Ra they're deciding to try and kill two birds with one stone by getting the nostalgia hook and the non-stereotypical girl power hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The He-Man reboot/remake/pre-quel had so much potential, but sadly, it didn't live up to it. It seemed to have all the right ingredients to have been one of the greatest and memorable series ever. Great character designs, with beautiful animation (seriously, it probably had the best animation of any T.V. animated series), a A-list cast, and a kick soundtrack made by the guy who did motherluvin' Hercules and Xena! And yet despite all this, it was an utterly forgettable show. And despite all that, the show was just so...vanilla and bland. It wasn't insanely campy and cheesy like the original series, and clearly attempted to be a more serious undertaking, but it seemed to continuously pull its punches. Speaking of which, the fight scenes also left a lot to be desired. There was a lot of this obnoxious showboating that went on, particularly with the likes of Teela constantly spinning her staff, but not doing much actual fighting otherwise. Then we have the music, which, despite its pedigree was incredibly forgettable (I think this partly has to do with the mixing, which was way too subdued and consistently got overpowered by dialogue and SFX), with an unfortunately mediocre theme song.

It could have been a contender, I tell ya. :smith:

edit: also, there was another thing in particular that really soured me on the series. It's an admittedly petty reason, but still, I couldn't let it go. It was that episode where Skeletor and his minions got their hands on some special honey or some poo poo that was harvested by these weird bee people that enhances one's strength. This bothered me because in the first episode, He-Man was able to hurl a goddamned MOUNTAIN with barely any effort, yet he's getting thrown around like a ragdoll by Skeletor. It just seemed like a really dumb way for him to get THAT much of a power boost. If they were going to do that, then they shouldn't have made He-Man as strong as he appeared in the first episode.

Like I said, it's petty, but that's how I felt. :colbert:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 16, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I just caught up on Miraculous and Le... HIBOU! <dab> is the best character by a landslide.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Starting January, New New New New Fridays on CN will be Gumball, Unikitty, and We Bare Bears (and NOT TTG?!)

E: I don't know what's worse, that Unikitty is using music from TTG or that I've been aurally inundated with TTG so much that I can tell

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 18, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

what

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I was just about to post that, this definitely doesn't seem like a good idea, especially since what helped make Total Drama popular in the first place was 1) it was slightly edgier than most stuff Cartoon Network was airing at the time, and 2) the sheer amount of fuel for shippers it provided, both of which get thrown out when you do a "Babies" style spinoff

I will admit the style is cute though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I was just about to post that, this definitely doesn't seem like a good idea, especially since what helped make Total Drama popular in the first place was 1) it was slightly edgier than most stuff Cartoon Network was airing at the time, and 2) the sheer amount of fuel for shippers it provided, both of which get thrown out when you do a "Babies" style spinoff

I will admit the style is cute though

It's not as though the shipping would stop. It'd just take on a creepier undertone

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Heather North, the original voice actress for Daphne Blake in Scooby-Doo from 1969-2003 has died at 71.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/heather-north-dead-voice-daphne-scooby-doo-was-71-1069297

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbK_dbsCu0

"Oh so you don't like Teen Titans Go?" the network executive asks a gathering of angry YouTube critics. "NO" shouts Mr. Enter and company. A dark smile creeps across the exec's face as he says "Very well, we'll introduce another new cartoon" and cackles maniacally for several minutes

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Canada was a mistake.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oh COME THE gently caress ON

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm mad I can't even make a post about how Canadian animation is universally terrible, because Canada gave us Ed, Edd, n Eddy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The problem with Canadian animation is simply law of large numbers, since it's subsidized by the government and there's a lot more of it, probably coupled with the fact that the bad stuff is cheaper for CN to license as weekday afternoon filler.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Canadian animation is the karmic price they must pay for healthcare

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pakled posted:

I'm mad I can't even make a post about how Canadian animation is universally terrible, because Canada gave us Ed, Edd, n Eddy.

They also gave us Wolverine & The X-Men which was taken from us before its time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Canadian animation is the karmic price they must pay for healthcare

Makes you wonder what Australia did to deserve Shezow.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Give them the Hanna Barbera license. Then they can pump out mediocre Laff-A-Lympics cartoons with characters people at least kind of resonate with.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

is she supposed to be the blind melon bee girl. is that a reference kids get

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's not a reference I get and I'm 28.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/SuperPRGuy/status/943891634399281152

Original Teen Titans is getting a BD release, it seems.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It would be nice if they'd stop not doing BD releases for their current shows. Last I checked Steven Universe and the last season of Adventure Time are DVD-only for no apparent reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

WB has no say in Blu-ray releases of Steven Universe and Adventure Time, though?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Waffleman_ posted:

WB has no say in Blu-ray releases of Steven Universe and Adventure Time, though?

Fair enough.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/SuperPRGuy/status/943891634399281152

Original Teen Titans is getting a BD release, it seems.

And of course they're not shipping to Canada AND it's not available on Canadian Amazon. What did Canada ever do to you, Warner Bros?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Unikitty was probably my favorite side character from the Lego Movie and I'm still not convinced she needed her own spinoff show

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They've done three preview episodes and each one has been more unremarkable than the last.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Benne posted:

Unikitty was probably my favorite side character from the Lego Movie and I'm still not convinced she needed her own spinoff show

Hell, even Lego Batman could just barely carry his own movie.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Waffleman_ posted:

They've done three preview episodes and each one has been more unremarkable than the last.

It doesn't look bad, but all signs point to 2018 being The Year of TTG Ripoffs and I'm not looking forward to that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Benne posted:

It doesn't look bad, but all signs point to 2018 being The Year of TTG Ripoffs and I'm not looking forward to that.

I've said this earlier, but I loving swear that WB is recycling music from TTG in Unikitty.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

I thought we were through with Total Drama Island; we were free from its curse. I was wrong.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was CN really in such a dark period that Total Drama was considered a height of that era? Do we really need to keep bringing it back?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Benne posted:

Was CN really in such a dark period that Total Drama was considered a height of that era? Do we really need to keep bringing it back?

Total Drama isn't even a CN show it's a Teletoon show (during the time of the original show CN got the rights to a lot of canadian shows, though they've kinda cut down on that over the years).

Honestly the height of that era was Chowder and Flapjack

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

Looking at Wikipedia it looks like... Yes, kinda? It started in '08, at the same time a lot of their other shows were wrapping up and/or getting cancelled. So Total Drama and the various Ben 10 series kind of happened to become the network's only programs that had premieres. Then they started doing their ill-fated push towards live-action stuff and... yeah. However in 2010, Adventure Time (and Regular Show) also started, and quickly became the hot new poo poo. So when CN Real died, AT became the backbone of the network and got all the promotion.

But for a solid few years there TDI was all they had and it got promoted like crazy. And I guess kids liked it well enough for it to keep running for a long time?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So the answer to my question is "yes"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Benne posted:

So the answer to my question is "yes"

With a "Yes, CN Real was that bad" added to it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Total Drama was the TTGo of the time, with a touch of Ben Ten; cheap, lowest-common-denominator, can throw in as many spinoffs as you want, because no one cares, and manages to attract enough obsessed fans anyway because teenagers will latch onto anything.

It's basically cartoon reality TV in more ways than one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Man, this Elf on the Shelf special is the most cynical and transparently advertising poo poo I've ever seen. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer is bad, but it's endearingly bad because at least it's sincere.

E: It's like staring into the eyes of a corpse for half an hour. A character gently poking the loving doll and knocking it off the table is presented as if the kid loving killed a person.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 23, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Total Drama was the TTGo of the time, with a touch of Ben Ten; cheap, lowest-common-denominator, can throw in as many spinoffs as you want, because no one cares, and manages to attract enough obsessed fans anyway because teenagers will latch onto anything.

It's basically cartoon reality TV in more ways than one.

Cept TTG is good.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, this Elf on the Shelf special is the most cynical and transparently advertising poo poo I've ever seen. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer is bad, but it's endearingly bad because at least it's sincere.

E: It's like staring into the eyes of a corpse for half an hour. A character gently poking the loving doll and knocking it off the table is presented as if the kid loving killed a person.

How in the hell is the EotS special not a Kraumpus/Gerimlins-esque horror-comedy? I feel like an opportunity was missed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Because it's just a commercial for the drat toy. It's blatant.