Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Chicago's 3g is still trash, so I'm assuming that's due to the lack of backhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did you download GPS Status to get the aGPS data?

:wtc: That fixed it, somehow.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Initio posted:

I've recently got a new pair of phones through sprint, but when I activated the new phones on a new family plan I hadn't removed my old HTC Touch Pro 2 phone and old SERO 500 plan. This apparently updated my entire contract with Sprint.

Is there some way I can just get rid of the SERO plan without paying an ETF? I don't really want to be paying an extra $40 every month.

Thats not exactly how it works. Contracts are by line not account. If your contract on the sero line was renewed when you added the other two lines you need to call employee care to have them reverse the contract.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I did have them switch my old phone number to the new phone as well.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Initio posted:

I did have them switch my old phone number to the new phone as well.

I'm can't tell you exactly what happened without looking in your account. Just call employee care and have then look into it for you.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It looks like family share plans are going to be losing some of their discount potential (and right after I get on one too): http://www.landofdroid.com/2011/sprint-rumoured-to-be-adjusting-discount-rules-on-shared-accounts/

edit: Ignore, I'm retarded.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 22, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Posted 396 days ago.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Posted 396 days ago.

Oh yeah it's 2013 :doh:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Ender.uNF posted:

Chicago is an oddball; due to the handoff issues with the legacy equipment there, they raced ahead of the backhaul upgrades so some of the towers are sitting there with new equipment still connected to T1s. That should be resolved fairly soon.

Thanks, Ender. I guess I'll just have to try and be patient for another few months. When I switched to Sprint back in July, I was told that the NV upgrade would be complete by "December at the latest". It honestly feels like the entire thing is stalled, I haven't seen any significant improvement in months. I can't even stream Spotify on my commutes... But I didn't come here to complain, just frustrated.

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011
My mom and I are on SERO plans. Our 2 year upgrade is up right now. Is the best budget bang for the buck getting a 4S refurb for $50? Doesn't really seem like a lot of other options. We don't want to spend $200 to get a 5 as we'll both be happy with a 4S I'm sure. Or should we shell out the $$ for the 5 or some Android phone?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Dance The Mutation posted:

My mom and I are on SERO plans. Our 2 year upgrade is up right now. Is the best budget bang for the buck getting a 4S refurb for $50? Doesn't really seem like a lot of other options. We don't want to spend $200 to get a 5 as we'll both be happy with a 4S I'm sure. Or should we shell out the $$ for the 5 or some Android phone?

Get a phone that you would be happy with two years from now. You may be happy with the 4s now but will you be happy with it in 2015?

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've been out of the loop for awhile, but has there been any movement on the HTC 4G LTE regarding it's inability to properly connect to and hold LTE signals? I live in the Chicago suburbs and I'm still on 3G (if you can call 100-300kbps 3G) the vast majority of the time, despite the maps on Sensorly and S4GRU showing almost my entire living/working area being covered in 4G. It's really getting distressing because this phone needs to last me until 2014.

If I switch the phone to LTE/CDMA only it seems to hold 4G signals better, but the CDMA 1x is even more useless than the 3G so I just keep it on normal CDMA/EVDO/LTE auto.

The only thing I've seen about this is that if you flip in and out of airplane mode you'll pull back the LTE connection. Somewhere is an awesome screenshot of an entire screen full of airplane mode on/off buttons. My phone running the latest MeanBean rom still had this issue for the 20 minutes I was in a coverage area.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

If you live near any type of future LTE area you will want the 5.

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011

Giblet posted:

Get a phone that you would be happy with two years from now. You may be happy with the 4s now but will you be happy with it in 2015?

We don't really care about the latest technology. I use the Optima S still and didn't even realize my upgrade is up until my mom told me. I think I'll be fine with the 4S in 2 years. I have many friends that still use the iPhone 3GS or whatever it was before the 4S happily.

Duckman2008 posted:

Does it really matter that much? If I use the internet on my phone, it's pretty passive. It's not like I'll be using my phone to stream HD movies or something. I've not really had any complaints with 3G on my Optima S.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why bother upgrading then?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

Aren't pretty much all areas future LTE areas?
(Seriously I'm at the rural very-north end of the "North L.A." market and I'm hoping I get LTE one day.)

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

td4guy posted:

Aren't pretty much all areas future LTE areas?
(Seriously I'm at the rural very-north end of the "North L.A." market and I'm hoping I get LTE one day.)

100% are future LTE areas... Speaking of:

Approximately 715 updated sites today in: Chicago (78), Shentel (76), Atlanta/Athens (51), Arkansas (41), San Diego (34), Indianapolis (31), PR/VI (28), Baltimore (22), Kansas (21), New York City (21), Washington DC (21), Upstate NY Central (20), Austin (17), Boston (17), Nashville (16), LA Metro (14), Miami/West Palm (14), Minnesota (14), VT/NH/ME (12), Ft.Wayne/South Bend (11), Norfolk (11), SF Bay (11), DFW (10), Mississippi (10), North LA (9), Philadelphia Metro (9), Las Vegas (8), Tampa (8), Orange County (7), Upstate NY East (7), Orlando (6), Raleigh/Durham (6), Riverside/San Bernardino (6), Central Jersey (5), Charlotte (5), Houston (5), Memphis (4), Myrtle Beach (3), New Orleans (3), Northern Connecticut (3), Southern Connecticut (3), Jacksonville (2), Georgia (2), Delaware (1), Long Island (1), Northern Jersey (1), Oregon/SW Washington (1), Providence (1), San Antonio (1), South Carolina (1), Southern Jersey (1), West Michigan (1), West Washington (1).

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Why bother upgrading then?

The Optimus S is pretty much unusable these days due to lack of internal storage, even email can be a hassle.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Does it really matter that much? If I use the internet on my phone, it's pretty passive. It's not like I'll be using my phone to stream HD movies or something. I've not really had any complaints with 3G on my Optima S.

If you use the internet at all LTE is night and day different. LTE is probably faster than your home connection. In my case I have tested an LTE device in an area that has LTE and an area without LTE and the LTE connection is literally 100 times faster. I think there is a really bad problem with the 3G site to get .02mpbs, but it is a big deal. I didn't think it was till I saw it first hand.

Besides have faster throughput it also has much lower ping times resulting in small transactions starting much quicker.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For the idiots out there (like myself), does 4G = LTE?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

The Antipop posted:

For the idiots out there (like myself), does 4G = LTE?

Not necessarily.

In some markets, they are rolling out the actual LTE network. This is the list you see above.

Poor schmucks like myself are stuck with "4G" Wimax here in St. Louis.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Krime posted:

Not necessarily.

In some markets, they are rolling out the actual LTE network. This is the list you see above.

Poor schmucks like myself are stuck with "4G" Wimax here in St. Louis.

Are all 4G phones LTE compatible? This whole 4G/LTE thing is confusing.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

The Antipop posted:

No. There's basically 2 different versions of "4G" on the Sprint network Wimax and LTE

From what I understand Sprint had to either use the Wimax spectrum or lose it, so they half assed out the original "4G" networks that phones like the HTC EVO used. That's 4G Wimax and clocks in around DSL speeds (I think). That network is left behind and not currently being updated in some cities, like St. Louis/Pittsburgh. One of Wimax's biggest issues is building penetration. Decent connections outside do not equal decent connections inside buildings or in basements.

The flagship phones that are currently on the market are 4G LTE capable (Galaxy S3, Note 2, Iphone 5), the new and really really 4G Network. LTE Networks, from what I understand are probably faster than your home wifi connection. I'd love to speak more about the Sprint LTE network, but I've only been connected to it for 30 seconds as I drove through Indianapolis.

Krime fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 23, 2013

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Antipop posted:

No. In phone-marketing speak, "4G" can mean one of three things. Two of the three exist on Sprint. You only want one of them.

4G LTE is the "long term evolution" of the global GSM standard. It's the newest, fastest, lowest-latency, hottest poo poo on the market. Sprint is starting to build out their 4G LTE network in a few cities, and they're going to roll it out everywhere they have coverage under the "network vision" program. Sprint sites that get upgraded should see significantly better 3G speeds, as well, thanks to the new backhauls they're putting in (basically, from the tower to the rest of the internet). Right now, LTE is almost magical; it's like being connected to a fast Wifi connection. That will change as more people get LTE phones, and Sprint will probably start the same BS that Verizon did with, "sure, you can keep that crazy fast unlimited data plan - but no phone subsidies, and if you ever lose it for even a microsecond, it's gone forever."

WiMax was Sprint's early foray into the whole "what should we use to replace 3G technologies?" fight. It's fairly fast where the signal is good, but they never built it out all that well, and it's usually murder on your battery. Right now, Sprint is still selling these phones as "4G," but they're planning to phase out the WiMax hardware on the infrastructure side. When WiMax is dead, the phones that use it will be limited to plain old 3G.

3G HSPA+, "high speed packet access evolved," is something AT&T does; it's basically a supercharged GSM 3G technology. It can provide speeds comparable to LTE under some circumstances, so AT&T marketed it as a "4G" technology (although they're backing off on that now they have their own LTE network going up). You'll sometimes see it called things like "faux-G." It's not bad - an AT&T HSPA+ phone like the iPhone 4S is way faster than the Sprint version - but it's not as good as LTE.

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011

sanchez posted:

The Optimus S is pretty much unusable these days due to lack of internal storage, even email can be a hassle.

What this guy said. My mom and I have run out of memory and I haven't had fun with apps. Is there a way to find out if your area will have 4G or whatever? While this is tempting, I don't really have the money to get an iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3 or whatever. And I guess that is what will ultimately determine what I get.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

What this guy said. My mom and I have run out of memory and I haven't had fun with apps. Is there a way to find out if your area will have 4G or whatever? While this is tempting, I don't really have the money to get an iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3 or whatever. And I guess that is what will ultimately determine what I get.

Check amazon, they usually have the sprint S3 pretty cheap.

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Check amazon, they usually have the sprint S3 pretty cheap.

Can you go through Amazon if you have a SERO plan?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

No, SERO people can't use third party stores. Your only options are buying direct from Sprint, or buying used from Craigslist, eBay, etc.

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011

td4guy posted:

No, SERO people can't use third party stores. Your only options are buying direct from Sprint, or buying used from Craigslist, eBay, etc.

drat. Oh well. That basically means that we are stuck with Sprint for getting the latest phones as everything on eBay will be very expensive and unsubsidized I imagine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drat. Oh well. That basically means that we are stuck with Sprint for getting the latest phones as everything on eBay will be very expensive and unsubsidized I imagine.

The S3 and iPhone 5 are still $199 with an upgrade, which isn't bad. The 5 particularly is pretty expensive on eBay yet, although the S3 you can probably find a good deal on.

FYI I got a 4S for my wife off amazon warehouse deals for $320. Not the greatest pricing, but I kept having issues on Craigslist this time around so I just bit the bullet.

Oh, they are still exchanging Evo 3Ds for the Evo LTE if anyone is still stuck and can find a nice tech.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, they are still exchanging Evo 3Ds for the Evo LTE if anyone is still stuck and can find a nice tech.

Please elaborate, my EVO3D is horrible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wonderllama posted:

Sprint tech centers can swap phones for like models. In this case, the Evo LTE popped up as an option to swap for the 3D. Whether they don't or not is at the techs discretion. technically it has to be the 3rd swap, but most don't follow that rules to the letter.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint tech centers can swap phones for like models. In this case, the Evo LTE popped up as an option to swap for the 3D. Whether they don't or not is at the techs discretion. technically it has to be the 3rd swap, but most don't follow that rules to the letter.

I guess what I'm asking is, what should I tell them to get them to consider swapping for me? I understand that it is at their discretion, but this phone freezes all the time, the digitizer gets ghost touches when I am holding the bottom edge, and sometimes when I press the power button the screen comes on - but is just black (doesnt show anything).

Unfortunately, these are all intermittent problems, and there's no guarantee I can replicate them at the store. And I don't want to embarrass myself there.

Should I just explain to them my issues and tell them I heard they can swap out for an Evo LTE?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Does it matter in what time span? I seem to be having the issue where the microphone chip or something acts up again with a second phone, and I had swapped once before so when I go in and they do swap, it'd be my 4th phone. Signal is perfect, they sound crystal clear to me, but I'm either not coming through or garbled beyond recognition randomly. And it's not the mic needing cleaning since it does it with BT headsets too.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My GF just dropped her iPhone 4S in a pool. She doesn't have apple care or TEP. She bought the phone October 2011. Assuming the phone won't work after it dries for a day what are our options for phones? Can you still buy our your ETF to upgrade early?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZeroAX posted:

My GF just dropped her iPhone 4S in a pool. She doesn't have apple care or TEP. She bought the phone October 2011. Assuming the phone won't work after it dries for a day what are our options for phones? Can you still buy our your ETF to upgrade early?

Call in and see about an early upgrade. If not, buy one used for a max of $320.

Apple repairs the 4S for $200, but I honestly do not know if they will do that for liquid damage. If anyone knows, post it and if not its worth checking with apple.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Wonderllama posted:

What's so bad about it? I'm thinking about getting the Virgin Mobile version (EVO V) for my dad as an MP3 and internet/e-mail device. No calls, so I don't really care about lovely mobile radios.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Call in and see about an early upgrade. If not, buy one used for a max of $320.

Apple repairs the 4S for $200, but I honestly do not know if they will do that for liquid damage. If anyone knows, post it and if not its worth checking with apple.

They do, of course when my wife (fiancé) dropped hers in the pool they were still giving out unofficial free replacements.

The rule is if the phone is still mostly in one piece they'll replace it for the 150/200/220 replacement cost, depending on how new the model is.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Back to the 4G/WiMAX/LTE chat for a second......this is why LTE and the Network Vision rollout are so awesome. I'm sitting in my apartment right now connected to an LTE tower with 1 bar of coverage, and according to the speedtest app I'm averaging 74ms pings, 3.9Mbit down and 312Kbit up. (I haven't done any tests recently, but for comparison the last time I ran speedtest when I had full LTE coverage I could consistently hit 20+Mbit down and 10+Mbit up.)

Granted, it's also 2AM, so I probably have the tower pretty much to myself, but still. Before the towers around me were upgraded, even voice coverage in my apartment was spotty sometimes, and data was pretty much nonexistant. If I even had 3G, it was too slow to actually be usable, and half the time I was stuck on 1xRTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chizad posted:

Back to the 4G/WiMAX/LTE chat for a second......this is why LTE and the Network Vision rollout are so awesome. I'm sitting in my apartment right now connected to an LTE tower with 1 bar of coverage, and according to the speedtest app I'm averaging 74ms pings, 3.9Mbit down and 312Kbit up. (I haven't done any tests recently, but for comparison the last time I ran speedtest when I had full LTE coverage I could consistently hit 20+Mbit down and 10+Mbit up.)

Granted, it's also 2AM, so I probably have the tower pretty much to myself, but still. Before the towers around me were upgraded, even voice coverage in my apartment was spotty sometimes, and data was pretty much nonexistant. If I even had 3G, it was too slow to actually be usable, and half the time I was stuck on 1xRTT.

Yeah yeah yeah, gently caress you. I'm jealous as poo poo and Sprint's probably going to get bought by Verizon before putting LTE in Omaha.