Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

It was very fun and entertaining, but unless he was putting on a bit for entertainment, I'm really glad this was a project for him and that he wasn't riding financially on it.

I would totally buy his honey though, just for the sticker with his face on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The thing with random water in bottles is perplexing, selling unfiltered water even in a podunk shop would have you sent to jail here.

Clarkson is having the time of his life, in his other specials you can see the facade while here he looks genuinely happy.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I also found it funny that he got kicked into knads twice, when he tried to do some sheering.

But yeah, very entertaining akin to "May does something" tv-series. Basically a season of Top Gear: Farm, but *actually* trying to do the farming stuff, not just playing farmer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the only way it'd be more enjoyable is if Hammond or May was there as a foil instead of Kaleb. Like I could imagine May going "you pillock!" Every time he fucks something up

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the only way it'd be more enjoyable is if Hammond or May was there as a foil instead of Kaleb. Like I could imagine May going "you pillock!" Every time he fucks something up

I’m fairly confident May and Hammond stuck a whole year with Clarkson would end up with casualties with the increased risk due to access to agricultural equipment to maim each other with. You could see that in the last specials that weren’t random fun times in places where there are fancy hotels, they would getting quickly pissed at each other, they are old and much easy to get their tempers hot.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

I’m fairly confident May and Hammond stuck a whole year with Clarkson would end up with casualties with the increased risk due to access to agricultural equipment to maim each other with. You could see that in the last specials that weren’t random fun times in places where there are fancy hotels, they would getting quickly pissed at each other, they are old and much easy to get their tempers hot.

And in real life Hammond is supposedly fairly good at this, and May is the nerdy guy who might find that stuff interesting if it weren't "for a show".

Interestingly, most "Top Gearish" stuff comes when Clarkson tries to do something, and it is nice change of pace that A) it seems he is really enjoying himself and B) he is truly trying to get this poo poo done properly.

EDIT: Clarkson also riffs a couple of times on his Top Gear persona, and seems much more genuine "Jeremy Clarkson the person" than the "Jeremy Clarkson the Top Gear over the top motorhead"

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 12, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My god this Kaleb guy, when I was 21 I wouldn’t have been able to even string together a sentence describing the stupid poo poo I thought was important in a given day, or so I can only think in retrospect

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Kaleb and the other actual professionals are there to show that farming with the modern equipment, regulations, soil management, and scheduling information is actually not a trivial thing to do, because it is not.

If Kaleb is not a production insert, it is a small miracle that Kaleb is actually *that* camera friendly because I know the type being raised in a small city around rural communities. He is very outspoken and literate compared against the stereotype of 21 yo. farmer in my head.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Der Kyhe posted:

because I know the type being raised in a small city around rural communities. He is very outspoken and literate compared against the stereotype of 21 yo. farmer in my head.

You know 21 y/o farmhands, not farmers. A farmhand is someone who does what they're told by a farmer and is trusted with exactly as much as their brain can handle. If it can handle alot, they'll eventually end up managing a farm if they can't afford their own.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Der Kyhe posted:

Kaleb and the other actual professionals are there to show that farming with the modern equipment, regulations, soil management, and scheduling information is actually not a trivial thing to do, because it is not.

If Kaleb is not a production insert, it is a small miracle that Kaleb is actually *that* camera friendly because I know the type being raised in a small city around rural communities. He is very outspoken and literate compared against the stereotype of 21 yo. farmer in my head.

He's not addressing the camera directly, so I imagine being told to ignore the camera and say what he really feels about Clarkson (who he's worked with for a while) goes a long way. A lot of farmers (and farmhands) can be pretty outspoken if you get them on the right subject (Ford vs Chevy, John Deere vs anybody, the opposing political party...).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just got to the one where he opens the shop. I guess it's easy to see why he's against all the left wing European regulations and whatnot seeing how every time he tries to do something, someone from the local government says no. I'm really enjoying this show. It's fun to see what Jeremy has to learn to get his farm going. It's also funny to see him getting excited about earning 3 pounds on selling potatoes from a box when he spent a quarter of a million getting everything going. Plus, all the random people get to have their own IMDB page now.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

We've enjoyed it through episode four and it's definitely feeling a bit more accurate for Jeremy than his TG/TGT persona

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
144 Quid. gently caress.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Cat Hatter posted:

He's not addressing the camera directly, so I imagine being told to ignore the camera and say what he really feels about Clarkson (who he's worked with for a while) goes a long way. A lot of farmers (and farmhands) can be pretty outspoken if you get them on the right subject (Ford vs Chevy, John Deere vs anybody, the opposing political party...).
Kaleb was still pretty good on the episode where he went to London.

I think he's just naturally extroverted.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Watching Clarkson's Farm now. It's basically Ruth Goodman meets Goofus and Gallant.

The story arc is identical to the Tudor/Edwardian/Victorian Farm series, but instead of just showing you how it's done with period-correct technology, Clarkson does his slapstick routine and then the real farmers come in and show how it's done right.

I'm enjoying it.

ETA: https://diddlysquatfarmshop.com/

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 15, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The best of both worlds then.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Clarkson definitely felt more genuine in this and I think he did a fair bit of actual work.

The breakout star though is Gerald.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Boat Stuck posted:

Kaleb was still pretty good on the episode where he went to London.

I think he's just naturally extroverted.

I have only just finished the first covid episode so I'll take your word for that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Clarkson definitely felt more genuine in this and I think he did a fair bit of actual work.

The breakout star though is Gerald.

Agreed. Gerald is awesome and steals every scene he's in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have no idea what Gerald says though.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

That's the appeal I think.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Did I imagine it, or did Gerald speak completely normally at the end of the last episode?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

gileadexile posted:

Did I imagine it, or did Gerald speak completely normally at the end of the last episode?

I still couldn't understand him.

Listening to Gerald reminds me of being in Amsterdam--you're only like 25% away from being able to understand what they're saying, because it's pretty close to regular English, but it's just not quite there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Isn't Clarkson actually a resident of Isle of Wight to avoid taxes? Wonder how his Chipping Norton estate works w/r/t that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cojawfee posted:

I actually flipped on subtitles to see how it would handle him. It had them for most of what he said mixed in with some "indiscernible".

Show is better than I expected.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I mostly understood what he was saying while he was controlling the combine, though it definitely got harder when it was over the walkie-talkie.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This motherfucker is taking £85k in government subsidies for a vanity project WHILE attacking poor people for rightfully exposing that they're being taken advantage of over food hampers.

gently caress this loving ghoul

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's amusing that Clarkson hates on people for taking handouts when the British public have been paying his wages for decades through the BBC licensing fee which by all accounts is something a huge majority of people pay because they think they have to. Having a TV licensing person roll up to your door and demand to be let in to see if you have a TV, being threatened with court proceedings is fun, no wonder so many people just pay the loving thing.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's amusing that Clarkson hates on people for taking handouts when the British public have been paying his wages for decades through the BBC licensing fee which by all accounts is something a huge majority of people pay because they think they have to. Having a TV licensing person roll up to your door and demand to be let in to see if you have a TV, being threatened with court proceedings is fun, no wonder so many people just pay the loving thing.

Top Gear was produced by BBC Studios/BBC Worldwide, which is the commercial arm of the BBC.

He didn't get paid by the licence payer and the commercial division that produced Top Gear returns a profit to the BBC.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blunt posted:

Top Gear was produced by BBC Studios/BBC Worldwide, which is the commercial arm of the BBC.

He didn't get paid by the licence payer and the commercial division that produced Top Gear returns a profit to the BBC.

As contrived as you want to make it, Clarkson was paid by the people he looks down upon.

He makes good comedy, but he's an entitled, sanctimonious rear end in a top hat that absolutely loves to play martyr.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

blunt posted:

Question. Which company that's paid for by the license fee do you think is associated with BBC Studios/Worldwide who paid Clarkson a decent chunk of his wages for decades?

I recall at one point there was a scandal about BBC stars avoiding tax and the argument about Clarkson being "well not all of his pay comes from the license fee so it's fine". :v:

You're allowed to like the guy, his show, whatever but you absolutely cannot claim he's not a massive whiny loving hypocritical babyman who in most cases should just shut the gently caress up.

And I'm enjoying the farming show tbh, I've known a bunch of farmers over the years and some have absolutely 100% made bank off it and some of the smaller livestock farmers have basically never broke even despite it being the family business for hundreds of years.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 16, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Question. Which company that's paid for by the license fee do you think is associated with BBC Studios/Worldwide who paid Clarkson a decent chunk of his wages for decades?

That's not how it works

"Our licence fee paying _______ salary" is just culture war bullshit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

blunt posted:

That's not how it works

"Our licence fee paying _______ salary" is just culture war bullshit.

Keep going, please.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/jul/16/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson

quote:

BBC Worldwide owns 50% of Bedder 6 and an obscure note to its accounts disclosed that it received a £4.5m dividend in 2011/12 up from £3m a year ago – fuelled by Top Gear DVD sales and income from live shows.

Bedder 6 has not yet filed its own accounts with Companies House, but its figures for the year to 31 March 2011 showed it paid a total dividend of £5.95m – which would fit in with the £3m received by the BBC last year.

Clarkson owns 30% of the company – making his share £2.7m, up from £1.8m the year before. On top of that Clarkson has previous drawn a fee of £350,000 and is paid a separate "talent fee" from the BBC licence fee of widely believed to be just short of £500,000.

The BBC have for years tried to hide how much money they pay the talent purely because they know the proles will kick off about it. One Eastenders actress was being paid like half a mill a year for about 3 hours of screen time a year and then wittering on about having no money to retire despite having been in the show for 40 years at that point.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 16, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I was wrong, my bad.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Well in other “there is too much nanny state but I need the state payouts” news, Clarkson is having a press run with every farm outlets. This is farmers weekly

https://youtu.be/feivyZ7xQmQ

Where he tell us about frustration with paperwork and doomer thoughts about less state payouts

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Huh maybe the state should just be the primary if not sole payer for all farm produce.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hard to believe that rich faux right-wing tax dodgers on the public teat like Jeremy are entitled, it's true.

However Gerald and Caleb have the most understandable middle-english accents ever, they could have been on the BBC in 1970.

Try talking to a yorkshireman brickie if you want to try out 'smiling and nodding' as your main means of communicating with someone who is ostensibly speaking the same language as you.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Huh maybe the state should just be the primary if not sole payer for all farm produce.

It's what Vietnam does, iirc. The Government buys a quota of produce from each farm based on what and how much they grow. Initially, farmers weren't allowed to do anything with any excess other than use it or dispose of it so it created a weird black market of excess agricultural goods. Eventually, the gov't allowed them to sell the excess in normal markets to eliminate the black one.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Most of the farmers around where I live have very Jeremy Clarkson attitudes regarding "handouts" - It's all terrible and wrong except when it's to my benefit, in which it's okay because unlike everyone else I'm doing real work.

And most of these farmers make/made most of their money growing tobacco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Taerkar posted:

Most of the farmers around where I live have very Jeremy Clarkson attitudes regarding "handouts" - It's all terrible and wrong except when it's to my benefit, in which it's okay because unlike everyone else I'm doing real work.

And most of these farmers make/made most of their money growing tobacco.

For other people? It's a handout. For me? It's compensation (even if it's for literally doing no farming).