Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Burnt ends turned out perfect yesterday, but the flat wasn't quite done by the time I was ready for bed. I pulled it at about 190, let it rest then stuck it in the fridge overnight. This morning I unwrapped, put it in a pan with a cup of broth and stuck it in the oven for a few hours. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It may used for humidity, but I use it solely for it's ability to smooth out temperature swings. If I could use something with more heat capacity I would. But nothing beats water, hence why it's used in power plants.

Edit: ^those look great

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

If there’s still Unburnt charcoal at the end of your cook, do you open all the vents and burn it up or close the vents to stop the cook?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I try to close mine. There's no reason you can't use the coals again assume it's not months between cooks. But, uh, I cant turn off my smoker because it leaks too badly currently. It was sitting at 200°F a full 24 hours after I lit it. I got a gasket kit simply because it's a safety issue at this point

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
For my smoker I burn it off since it very well could be months between smokes. For my kettle I close it off and keep for the next cook.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks. I’ll close the vents and kill it off. Based on the ribs I made today I’ll be smoking again very soon.

Easily the best ribs I’ve done. First time with the WSM compared to 4-5 times on my MES.

Only question was I got a little smoke ring but not a big one. Looking at the 2 chunks of wood I put in, it doesn’t look like they burned much. I’m used to using chips and pellets so I have no comparison. Any suggestions?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta eye it. The smoke ring is the result of a combination of two things: smoke and time. The ring is a Sodium Nitrite formation when the smoke interacts with the myoglobin of the meat, literally preserving it. Try making sure the wood chunks smolder for around two hours consistently.

Also make sure your silver skin is removed, smoke doesn't penetrate that well. Same with any fat on the convex side.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 19, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

um excuse me posted:

Gotta eye it. The smoke ring is the result of a combination of two things: smoke and time. The ring is a Sodium Nitrite formation when the smoke interacts with the myoglobin of the meat, literally preserving it. Try making sure the wood chunks smolder for around two hours consistently.

Also make sure your silver skin is removed, smoke doesn't penetrate that well. Same with any fat on the convex side.

Yeah silver skin was removed. I was trying not to peek at the window too much because I didn’t want the heat to jump.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Kalman posted:

Bit of both, I think. (And the humidity should in theory help to reduce stall duration, since stall is evaporative cooling and that’s in part a function of air humidity.)

Added benefit of a water pan for me is also to catch the drippings before they hit the coals. First few times I smoked, my meat was covered in a little layer of ash or something. It was very bitter and very weird. Never happened again after I started using the water pan.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So here are the results from yesterday:

So things went... OK. Started it at about 6:15am, and didn't hit 203 until about 10:45pm. So 16:30 total time. Would have been longer had I not let the temp boost to ~275 towards the end. I pulled it at 203 because I was exhausted. I didn't even bother spot checking other areas, I just pulled it.

Biggest issue is I think it was a bit dry. I don't know if it took too long and dried out, or if I pulled it early before all the fat could render. I always kept the water pan topped off, so I dunno. I definitely under-salted (and could have used more rub), but I'm not sure if that's related to under-salting or not. I just feel like it wasn't anywhere near as moist as the ones I've oven-cooked in the past. No smoke ring that I could really discern, so I dunno if I messed up there or not. Smoke flavor was there, but not obvious. The bark was VERY crunchy... not like burnt crunchy, though. So that's good, right?

I did snag one piece of bark (fresh off the cooker) that must have been on the fat cap... that was amazing. Maybe next time I'll just cut the whole fat cap side off and eat it separately... it was like the skin off a roast chicken, but better.

Here's the chart:

So basically from 8:30am to 18:30 it was between 215 and 235 for the vast majority of the time. Just after 16:00 was when the rain kicked in... all the wobbles after that were me fighting the wind/rain to try to keep the temp under control. Rain stopped around 18:30, and then soon after the coals nearly died so that was fun. As you can see, I got annoyed at how long it was taking so I boosted the temp, then added more coals and boosted the temp some more.

Also: do you guys keep the drippings? Seems like an awful waste not to, but I don't know if it gets contaminated with ash/whatever or if it's good to go. Could help with my moisture issues...

Edit: also on the subject of ash, good God briquettes produce a ton. I usually use lump when grilling (probably will still), but when I read that briquettes made more ash I thought people were just being whiney. But drat, that's a lot of ash.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 20, 2020

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So i bought an MES that arrived friday. Tonight i smoke boneless half chickens with an herb rub. Went in at 225 and it went much faster than i expected. I was expecting 2.5 or 3 hours and it was nearly done in an hour and a half. I finished them off under the broiler to crisp the skin a bit. I also smoked some corn on the cob to go with it. Turned out amazing. Meat was juicy and smokey throughout. No pics, because i was hungry.

Next meal might be tri tip or steak. Im lookin at the slow smoker attachment for the mes so i can do jerky.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

So here are the results from yesterday:

So things went... OK. Started it at about 6:15am, and didn't hit 203 until about 10:45pm. So 16:30 total time. Would have been longer had I not let the temp boost to ~275 towards the end. I pulled it at 203 because I was exhausted. I didn't even bother spot checking other areas, I just pulled it.

Biggest issue is I think it was a bit dry. I don't know if it took too long and dried out, or if I pulled it early before all the fat could render. I always kept the water pan topped off, so I dunno. I definitely under-salted (and could have used more rub), but I'm not sure if that's related to under-salting or not. I just feel like it wasn't anywhere near as moist as the ones I've oven-cooked in the past. No smoke ring that I could really discern, so I dunno if I messed up there or not. Smoke flavor was there, but not obvious. The bark was VERY crunchy... not like burnt crunchy, though. So that's good, right?

I did snag one piece of bark (fresh off the cooker) that must have been on the fat cap... that was amazing. Maybe next time I'll just cut the whole fat cap side off and eat it separately... it was like the skin off a roast chicken, but better.

Here's the chart:

So basically from 8:30am to 18:30 it was between 215 and 235 for the vast majority of the time. Just after 16:00 was when the rain kicked in... all the wobbles after that were me fighting the wind/rain to try to keep the temp under control. Rain stopped around 18:30, and then soon after the coals nearly died so that was fun. As you can see, I got annoyed at how long it was taking so I boosted the temp, then added more coals and boosted the temp some more.

Also: do you guys keep the drippings? Seems like an awful waste not to, but I don't know if it gets contaminated with ash/whatever or if it's good to go. Could help with my moisture issues...

Edit: also on the subject of ash, good God briquettes produce a ton. I usually use lump when grilling (probably will still), but when I read that briquettes made more ash I thought people were just being whiney. But drat, that's a lot of ash.

My guess is that bringing it to 203 May have been the reason for the dryness. Doneness for pulled pork is anywhere from 195-206ish. It just varies depending on the individual cut of meat.

I checked mine at 195 and it was completely fork tender and the probe slid right out. I pulled it off the smoker right then. After I let it rest, the meat fell right off the bone. If I’d taken to 200 it would have probably been a bit dry.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Adventures in how to smoke continue, we had a roast that was running out of time so went ahead and decided to smoke it today.

About an hour into the smoke we realized our Shishito plants had started producing

So we went ahead and tried smoking those too (Roast is about 2 hours in by this point)

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

M2tt posted:

Adventures in how to smoke continue, we had a roast that was running out of time so went ahead and decided to smoke it today.

About an hour into the smoke we realized our Shishito plants had started producing

So we went ahead and tried smoking those too (Roast is about 2 hours in by this point)

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster

Hmmm... I have a pork roast I threw in the freezer when the lockdowns started. Maybe it’s time to give it a second chance at life in the smoker.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Made a first attempt at pastrami this week. 4 pounder of corned beef smoked for 11 hours. Went with Meathead's recipe, although I forgot to add brown sugar to the rub.

Started stalling in the 160s, but I waited until 180 and wrapped in parchment paper. I ended up putting it on the lower rack for the last 30 minutes or so.

Here's the slice check I took before I put it in the fridge and went to bed:

I don't have a steaming basket, so I improvised with a colander atop a stockpot to steam it up for last night's dinner:

Instead of a sandwich I went with garlic parmesan rice/pasta:

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
That's an awfully nice looking pastrami.

Our roast is still in process but we pulled the Shishitos out after an hour or so and they turned out...alright. I think we're going to just turn them into a spice, hopefully it'll end up like a fancy smoked paprika.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Project roast was... pretty dry actually. We ran out of splits somewhere around 150 internal and finished in the oven. It also sort of inflated at some point? It's about twice as tall as it was when it went in, no idea if that's important or an indicator of what was done wrong? Either way the flavor was good at least, but there's more to learn.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is it rice or is it pasta they’re not the same thing

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

bird with big dick posted:

Clearly you have not heard of the rare delicacy that is Rice-a-Roni.

I hear it's quite a phenomenon in the San Francisco region.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bird with big dick posted:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
5AM start to do 3 racks of ST Louis, 2 racks of back, and 2 butts. Gonna freeze over half of it. going to finally use the 22" WSM to capacity.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

M2tt posted:

Project roast was... pretty dry actually. We ran out of splits somewhere around 150 internal and finished in the oven. It also sort of inflated at some point? It's about twice as tall as it was when it went in, no idea if that's important or an indicator of what was done wrong? Either way the flavor was good at least, but there's more to learn.

Looks and sounds like it was just way overcooked. What kind of roast was that? What temp were you shooting for?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Anyone have a good pork belly burnt end recipe?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Anyone have a good pork belly burnt end recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

Made these a few times now to rave reviews

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A quick one before the lid goes on for no less than 4 hours. Don't have a rib rack? Nah gently caress that, a file organizer will do just fine.

Two pork butts on the level underneath.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Looks like you can fit two more racks on there

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
MY HONOR :negative:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

um excuse me posted:

A quick one before the lid goes on for no less than 4 hours. Don't have a rib rack? Nah gently caress that, a file organizer will do just fine.

There are some nifty improvised rib racks out there that will occasionally do the job better than purpose-designed, much more expensive stuff.
In 2005, my mother gave me an Ikea VARIERA collapsible dishrack along with a bunch of other stuff, and I never used it until I got a smoker in 2008, at which time it entered service as the perfect rib-rack.

Stainless steel, good material, durable joints and rivets, served me well for 8 years, cost my mom like 6,99.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I... would not use non-food grade anything for cooking, especially for food contact surfaces. Who knows what sort of paint is on that, which is now on your ribs.

I mean it's not HIGH heat, but still...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Slow smoking a chuck roast tomorrow.

Amazing ribs recommends 6 hours at 225 to an internal temp of 180.

Think that’s realistic? If it finishes early, what can I do?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DaveSauce posted:

I... would not use non-food grade anything for cooking, especially for food contact surfaces. Who knows what sort of paint is on that, which is now on your ribs.

I mean it's not HIGH heat, but still...

I just took it all off and cleaned it. No visible paint smear, melt, or chipping. Plus let's be fair we know there are carcinogens in smoke. I'm already actively poisoning my food.

nwin posted:

You can usually rest it a couple of hours at most to soften it up and keep it warm. But do not exceed four hours as I believe that's the FDAs recommendation for maximum time for a hot food to be left out without cooking or refrigeration.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nwin posted:

Wrap it in foil and place it in a cooler or insulated bag (put some towels down on the bottom to sop up any juices that escape.). That’ll help hold it at a safe temperature for an extended period of time.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

marshalljim posted:

Looks and sounds like it was just way overcooked. What kind of roast was that? What temp were you shooting for?

Yeah probably, it was just a 2lb chuck roast, took it to 190 in the oven and then let it rest for 15 or so. It also wasn't a particularly well marbled cut, but there was a nice 1/4" layer on the top that we kinda hoped would permeate a bit.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Money shot.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

um excuse me posted:

For a moment there I thought you found some porkasaurus bacon.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sanity check: My pork butts have been in the smoker at 225°F with no crutch for 14 hours and they read 176°F. Keep going right?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

um excuse me posted:

Sanity check: My pork butts have been in the smoker at 225°F with no crutch for 14 hours and they read 176°F. Keep going right?

Unless your goal is sliced pork, yes, keep going. You could always throw em in the oven at 300 or something at this point if you're getting anxious.

Edit: also, I assume they were right over the water pan when you had all the ribs on, did you move them up when the ribs were pulled? It is significantly cooler in my 22" on the lower grate - if you were measuring 225 on the upper grate you were probably around 200-210 on the lower.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 26, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've been nervous before, and I know waiting pays off, I just don't usually hear of butt taking this long. I also assume much longer and they start dying out right?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I've been nervous before, and I know waiting pays off, I just don't usually hear of butt taking this long. I also assume much longer and they start dying out right?

When you do the butt it can take a long time. I’ve done 16 hours more often than 8, and 18 at least once. I’ve found that time and dryness aren’t directly related. Temperature, resting, overall butt quality has more to do with it.

Give it time. Pull it based on temp. Let it rest. Shred like you are gleaming the cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

um excuse me posted:

They sound like you’re right at the end of a stall. I’ve had them take 18-20 hours. You’re fine.