Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
You may be thinking about that guy on the most recent tournament of champions. He spent most of his last DJ round pouting and rolling his eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Watching the current champ last night reminded me of something I heard and was wondering if it was true -- when Johnny GIlbert announces someone as "originally from" rather than "from," is that code for "they're actually from Southern California and we want the show to be more geographically diverse"? I used to think people requested it if they identified more with their hometown than with their current residence, but the current champ is an actor so he's almost certainly already living in LA

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Probably, though I think they give you a choice. I think that came up in my last audition, because I remember thinking I'd rather say "originally from New York" than "from Florida", since that has had far more influence on who I am.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was on in 2018 and at the time they specifically told us they were no longer doing the “originally from” and you had to go with where you currently lived, and I think they changed it back during Covid so that yeah it would hide a bit the fact that everyone came from SoCal

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
yeah, I was allowed to put my "home" town and not Ottawa, where I live... but they still said "From Sandspit, British Columbia, Canada." this was uh, 2015 I think?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I don't remember the exact details, but Hayes Davenport from Hollywood Handbook who was a contestant years ago once told the story of how he accidently ended up getting introduced as being originally from the city that his parents currently lived in that he had never even been to before and that ended up being used as a source for his Wikipedia entry.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You may be thinking about that guy on the most recent tournament of champions. He spent most of his last DJ round pouting and rolling his eyes.

there was a woman in the one before that too who was just tilting all over the place through DJ (which i get lol, losing sucks)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Matt would have totally said "What's Up?" :dadjoke:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Still cackling at Mayim's completely unimpressed reaction to the contestant with the WILD story about absorbing their twin in utero. She didn't bat an eye for even a second

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I bet if it was the other one who was born they'd have a better story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't she have some medical education? She's probably heard crazier stories than that before

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

haveblue posted:

Doesn't she have some medical education? She's probably heard crazier stories than that before

She has a doctorate.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Timby posted:

She has a doctorate.

As you can hear in her snake oil commercials!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

packetmantis posted:

That was a great "are you loving kidding me?" moment.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Timby posted:

She has a doctorate.

packetmantis posted:

In neuroscience, yeah. Which makes it even worse.

Is Johnathan now the most successful “giant-killer” contestant now? Emma might’ve won more money, but she only won, what, 3 games? Him and Matt are probably gonna meet again in the next ToC, now that his 5 game streak likely has him qualified for it, I think.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

and your final jeopardy topic will be "19th century supr-"

"dred scott"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

im sick of this guy way quicker than i was for any other champion

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i liked him in Walk Hard

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

i say swears online posted:

"dred scott"

When I heard the category I called out Dred Scott from the kitchen, then decided that that was too obvious and went for Amistad. Screwed myself out of a psychic win.

Also how do you pull Madison instead of Dred Scott?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also how do you pull Madison instead of Dred Scott?

secret brit

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

"dred scott"

Goddammit, I talked myself out of this one. Dred Scott instantly came to mind, but then I thought "Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness" were the self-evident truths they were referencing -- Life is the first of those, so who was famously executed in the 19th century?

I would have busted out of this one with a crossed-out Dred Scott and a hastily written John Wilkes Booth. Who, guess what, was not actually executed.

They shouldn't even let me watch this show. :doh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did the second-place winner today mess up her betting? i barely caught it but it seemed like she could have surpassed the champ if he had messed up or bet zero

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

did the second-place winner today mess up her betting? i barely caught it but it seemed like she could have surpassed the champ if he had messed up or bet zero
It looked like it. One could try to argue on assuming conservative betting but Hanlon's Razor works better here.

Moot point since she missed out as he got it. Who knew Dewey Cox was a dynamo on Jeopardy?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

He couldn't wager $0 because he had less than double her money.
He needed to (and did) wager $1500 in order to ensure if he was right that he had double her money + $100.

(He had $20,600, she had $11,000).

Her wager would have put her $100 ahead of him had he gotten it wrong and she gotten it right.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
"I was being a weird gatekeeping rear end in a top hat and this woman married me for some loving reason :smuggo:"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Wasted opportunity to use "Where's Waldo?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wanted to hear Lea say more things because her voice was interesting

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

AFewBricksShy posted:

He couldn't wager $0 because he had less than double her money.
He needed to (and did) wager $1500 in order to ensure if he was right that he had double her money + $100.

(He had $20,600, she had $11,000).

Her wager would have put her $100 ahead of him had he gotten it wrong and she gotten it right.

yeah it was "fine", especially with a superchamp that's likely to bet rationally

that said, you need to get it right to win, why not get yourself an extra $2800 if you do?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

CPColin posted:

I wanted to hear Lea say more things because her voice was interesting

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I couldn't pin down exactly what it was.

She seemed to be doing really well at first and just seemed confident (guy on the right sounded terrified to give responses by contrast). I thought she was gonna do it but missing that DD broke her.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd give up if I missed such a gimme too.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm honestly surprised Jonathan lasted as long as he did.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm honestly surprised Jonathan lasted as long as he did.

Yeah he was the least impressive long streak I've seen in a while.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Guess I should have mentioned NYC was prempted for the mayoral debate so hooray for spoilers.

On a personal sidenote, a movie I briefly worked on in 2017 turned out to have released only two months ago. As you would expect from a delay that long or desperate enough to hire me, it isn't great. It's only relevant since the news was reporting the debate (and preemption) while showing flooding from the trucking company I went to for the shoot at the time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't know if it's just ennui from another 10 games that were runaways, but while I didn't mind Jonathan, I'm kind of glad to see him gone and I hope there are a few more nail-biting/interesting games coming down the pipeline.

At least Matt would make big DD wagers.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I thought Jonathan was fun to watch, especially the little nod he did after every single correct answer. But yeah, he was never as dominant a player as Matt or James etc., he was a real cautious better and that was bound to bite him in the rear end eventually.

Credit where it's due though, he absolutely earned his spot in the record books as the most successful giant-killer ever. Looking forward to the Matt/Jonathan rematch in the TOC

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

My DVR didn't record yesterday's episode for some reason. Oh well, not a huge episode to miss, like if I had missed Matt losing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My prediction is that if they meet again in the ToC Matt will crush Jonathan.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That was the worst Daily Double betting I have ever seen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know. I've seen people bet $200 on a DD on the first clue of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

For once my absolute cluelessness when it comes to classic literature pays off: Would 100% have guessed the main character from Pride and Prejudice if I remembered what her name was, but I'm a big dumb idiot and saw a Russian name on the list so I blundered my way into Anna Karenina instead. :smuggo: