Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah that's the classic breakdown: Hlaalu for thieves, Redoran for Warriors, Telvani for Mages. I also think Redoran tend to be interested in the day to day problems of their people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Poil posted:

But not quite as much?

If you ignore the imperialism, settler colonialsim and resource extraction and profiting from the slave labour they're ostensibly against, sure.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah that's the classic breakdown: Hlaalu for thieves, Redoran for Warriors, Telvani for Mages. I also think Redoran tend to be interested in the day to day problems of their people.

Hlaalu = Imperial collaborator mafiosos
Redoran = Depressed samurai
Telvanni = Ancap wizards

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 16, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

John F Bennett posted:

Who needs money when you have wealth beyond measure.

Work for free? I'm no argonian

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well it doesn't matter anymore. The game crashed so hard I had to reboot to get it to close. Right after I discovered I had somehow managed to break multiple quests (I couldn't fix it with the console). And after failing to locate some keys for quite a while I went to the uesp only to discover that those keys don't actually exist in the game. :sigh:

I've kinda lost all desire to keep playing.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 16, 2024

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The ultimate TES experience, as seen in real time

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Poil posted:

Well it doesn't matter anymore. The game crashed so hard I had to reboot to get it to close. Right after I discovered I had somehow managed to break multiple quests (I couldn't fix it with the console). And after failing to locate some keys for quite a while I went to the uesp only to discover that those keys don't actually exist in the game. :sigh:

I've kinda lost all desire to keep playing.

skill issue

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hlaalu are open and Imperial friendly on the surface because there's money to be made from it. But like half their members are in the pocket of the Camonna Tong which is the native thieves/smugglers/slavers guild and basically what would happen if the Cosa Nostra and the KKK were the same group.

Telvanni hate everybody including each other and are so classist that they don't put stairs in their house because anyone who can't levitate isn't worth talking to. Some of them are old enough to remember the time before the God-Kings so they don't respect the state religion and put the temple in the basement to avoid having to deal with them.

The Redoran are largely chill dudes but pretty useless and obsessed with honour and old fashioned values. Live almost exclusively in basically uninhabitable places.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
An immortal wizard made clones of himself, but turned the clones into women that he made into his daughter wives and keeps the last living dwemer in his leper colony in his basement and somehow he is not the weirdest Telvanni councilor says a lot about that house.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW, and I know it's not worth much in that situation, but I can always get a crashed Morrowind to finally shuffle off its mortal coil by starting to log out of windows then clicking cancel at the inevitable "you still have running programs I can't close, you dummy" screen. Even with moderns SSDs I find it's less annoying than a real reboot.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Hlaalu also run the abolitionist faction. In conclusion, Morrowind is a land of contrasts.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

7c Nickel posted:

The Hlaalu also run the abolitionist faction. In conclusion, Morrowind is a land of contrasts.

Also I think the faction that has the largest scale mission against slavery is actually House Redoran. Mostly out of spite but the result is the same.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I guess Hlaalu ended slavery sometime between the Nerevarine and the Red Year but I think that may be just from a Kirkbride forum post or something. Anyway they get absolutely bodied by the Argonians so that's pretty funny

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

7c Nickel posted:

No they don't. A Hlaalu does. Her uncle runs the largest slave plantation on Vvardenfell.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This underground railroad exists in slave states!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Like, the daughter of a duke is living in social housing provided by the temple presumably because she's been cut off from her family's wealth due to her agitation.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Play as Hlaalu but backstab the empire and your own house

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

It’s always bugged me that the Great Houses are tied to class archetypes rather than purely an ideological choice. It would make more sense to tie advancements in the guilds to skills & attributes (the guilds being professional organizations and all) while things like political and religious factions were tied purely to your actions.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

DaysBefore posted:

I guess Hlaalu ended slavery sometime between the Nerevarine and the Red Year but I think that may be just from a Kirkbride forum post or something. Anyway they get absolutely bodied by the Argonians so that's pretty funny

Slavery ended in Morrowind between TES 3 and TES 4. I think NPCs sometimes mention it in Oblivion's glorious random conversations, but the PGE that came with Oblivion's Collector's Edition confirmed that Helseth ended slavery and under his guidance Hlaalu and Dres teamed up to pick apart the rapidly imploding House Indoril after they fell apart with the fall of the Tribunal.

Of course after Oblivion, the Empire withdrew from Morrowind, the Red Year happened, the Argonians paid the Dunmer back for slavery, and everyone Hlaalu had pissed off during the Empire's reign took their chance to settle some scores, resulting in Hlaalu being demoted from Great House status.

Jimmy Noskill posted:

It’s always bugged me that the Great Houses are tied to class archetypes rather than purely an ideological choice. It would make more sense to tie advancements in the guilds to skills & attributes (the guilds being professional organizations and all) while things like political and religious factions were tied purely to your actions.

This is always how I've thought of an 'idealized' faction system. Each of the 'skill-based' factions has a main story that can be completed by virtually anyone, but to advance the ranks, you need to not only go through that story, you need to show proficiency in skills, and even do some additional quests that are heavily tied in to that faction's mechanics (though that kind of shits on Fighters since 'can kill things' is perfectly capable by mages and stealth archers).

Meanwhile the Dark Brotherhood and/or a 'good' counterpoint faction don't really care about skills, but results, and as a result their ranks are directly tied to their storyline.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 19, 2024

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe advancement in whatever fighter's guild should involve winning one-on-one duels?

E: And attack/summoning magic (at least) are illegal in those duels.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Jimmy Noskill issue.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Book opening sound

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hlaalu are open and Imperial friendly on the surface because there's money to be made from it. But like half their members are in the pocket of the Camonna Tong which is the native thieves/smugglers/slavers guild and basically what would happen if the Cosa Nostra and the KKK were the same group.

Page turning sound

quote:

Telvanni hate everybody including each other and are so classist that they don't put stairs in their house because anyone who can't levitate isn't worth talking to. Some of them are old enough to remember the time before the God-Kings so they don't respect the state religion and put the temple in the basement to avoid having to deal with them.

Page turning sound

quote:

The Redoran are largely chill dudes but pretty useless and obsessed with honour and old fashioned values. Live almost exclusively in basically uninhabitable places.

Take book
Sounds of NPCs turning hostile

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

All You Can Eat posted:

Book opening sound

Page turning sound

Page turning sound

Take book
Sounds of NPCs turning hostile

Kirkbride's best work

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe advancement in whatever fighter's guild should involve winning one-on-one duels?

E: And attack/summoning magic (at least) are illegal in those duels.

Bethesda has neither the inclination nor the incentive to make guild advancement tied to specific play styles and making sure it isnt cheese-able by other classes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I always thought "Monks and druids have to win duels to level up" was a stupid idea in AD&D, but for a single player video game, sure.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I always thought "Monks and druids have to win duels to level up" was a stupid idea in AD&D, but for a single player video game, sure.

Even worse was the old rule that all druids were so fanatically devoted to the idea of balance that they would be compelled to commit evil to offset major acts of heroism.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Halloween Jack posted:

Also this isn't leveling up your character, it's for advancement in an organization which membership is an optional side-quest, and which should be logically tied to your ability in the skills the organization champions.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Rose to the rank of arch mage, the highest authority in the Mage's guild, over a playtime of labor and sacrifice. Expelled in an instant by clicking the wrong bed.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

All You Can Eat posted:

Rose to the rank of arch mage, the highest authority in the Mage's guild, over a playtime of labor and sacrifice. Expelled in an instant by clicking the wrong bed.

"Sex scandal in the mages guild"

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Savos Aren never sleeps because it guarantees he won't get canceled for sleeping around.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

All You Can Eat posted:

Never understood why stuff like this got past QA. You see things like this in every TES and Fallout 3/4.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Because people tolerated it as "quirky" and"charming". Things may be changing though as seemingly more and more customers are pissed off at Bethesda and tired of their formula.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

All You Can Eat posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. I've been drinking their blood night after night with no repercussions.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Because people tolerated it as "quirky" and"charming". Things may be changing though as seemingly more and more customers are pissed off at Bethesda and tired of their formula.

They just end up turn off the ability to sleep in beds because it's easiest.

Also ES6, they finally get around to doing what they've wanted to do for so long now and just make ever NPC unkillable. Just in case you mistake the for someone who could of possibly had a short side quest, maybe. If they weren't a bandit who started trying to killing you as soon as they saw you.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

dr_rat posted:

They just end up turn off the ability to sleep in beds because it's easiest.

Also ES6, they finally get around to doing what they've wanted to do for so long now and just make ever NPC unkillable. Just in case you mistake the for someone who could of possibly had a short side quest, maybe. If they weren't a bandit who started trying to killing you as soon as they saw you.

There is no point in doomsaying Elder Scrolls 6 because Elder Scrolls 6 will be worse than we can possibly imagine, in ways we can't properly articulate now, but will be glaringly obvious in hindsight. Buckle up, gamer! :D

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
There's a chance the music could still be quite good!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

There's a chance the music could still be quite good!

Didn't Soule end up being a scum bag and he quit or something? Hope you enjoy hearing Fallout's echoing warble horns in High Rock.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'll never forget the moment I entered my first town in TES6 and the Ink Spots started playing on the radio

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
at this point i think the most devastating thing tes 6 could turn out to be is good

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

One of the micro transactions will be a copy of Skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jack B Nimble posted:

Didn't Soule end up being a scum bag and he quit or something? Hope you enjoy hearing Fallout's echoing warble horns in High Rock.

There were some pretty severe accusations, and he then he disappeared entirely.

He wasn't involved at all with that decade-premature ES6 trailer, which was before any public accusation, and was even expressing interest in doing another Elder Scrolls game at that point.