Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Klyith posted:

lol @ background check requirement prominently on the front page

your uber might be driven by a murderer/rapist, but by god your packages will be safe!
When Uber drivers are criminals, they harm customers.

When Amazon drivers are criminals, they steal from Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
As some of you may know, Uber pulled out of Denmark a few months ago. Before pulling out they had been hoping for the lolbertarian minister of transportation to push through Uber-friendly taxi legislation (but this did not ultimately happen). Meanwhile, Uber drivers were being prosecuted and Uber grandly promised to pay for their lawyers and any fines they might incur and that they should just keep driving.

Now Uber is long gone and the tax service has come to possess extensive records from Uber HQ in the Netherlands, detailing how much each driver has earned and how many trips they've driven, etc. It is expected that the drivers will be prosecuted and that the fines might come to ~$800 million in total (it will probably be somewhat less as each driver will most likely get a discount).

I wonder if Uber will keep their word and compensate the drivers...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In Sweden they just let the drivers they had conned into committing tax fraud for peanuts eat poo poo so I doubt it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It makes sense for the government to go after the drivers. They broke the law, obviously! - said probably some idiot on the internet.

Really lovely that these people are struggling to survive and getting hosed form both directions.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is there any English language source on why Danish Uber drivers would have committed tax fraud by driving for Uber?

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Randler posted:

Is there any English language source on why Danish Uber drivers would have committed tax fraud by driving for Uber?

I would assume it's how any contractor commits tax fraud. They just didn't report their income because they thought no one would know.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Per posted:

As some of you may know, Uber pulled out of Denmark a few months ago. Before pulling out they had been hoping for the lolbertarian minister of transportation to push through Uber-friendly taxi legislation (but this did not ultimately happen). Meanwhile, Uber drivers were being prosecuted and Uber grandly promised to pay for their lawyers and any fines they might incur and that they should just keep driving.

Now Uber is long gone and the tax service has come to possess extensive records from Uber HQ in the Netherlands, detailing how much each driver has earned and how many trips they've driven, etc. It is expected that the drivers will be prosecuted and that the fines might come to ~$800 million in total (it will probably be somewhat less as each driver will most likely get a discount).

MiddleOne posted:

In Sweden they just let the drivers they had conned into committing tax fraud for peanuts eat poo poo so I doubt it.

At work yesterday I had a guy come in and talk to us for a while (just a bored customer, we were slow so it was no problem). He's starting to lose his sight and so uses Uber to get around our midsize college town and mentioned that Lyft had finally come to town and I was really excited about that. He asked me why I hated Uber so much and I gave him a solid bunch of reasons ranging from "corporate culture of sexism/harassment" to "they give zero shits about their drivers" to "they probably jacked Google tech".

This will be a nice addition to that long list of reasons. gently caress Uber with the world's longest, sharpest stick.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People in the Bay Area (at least) have been getting shipments through Amazon Logistics for years. It sucks. No tracking numbers, no ability to track.

They've been delivering in my area (Philadelphia suburbs) for around a year, and do most Amazon deliveries for me now. They are terrible. I've had packages delivered to the wrong address, been called multiple times asking where my delivery address (a UPS store that I have an account with) is, packages lost, packages delivered late...

They do however have tracking numbers and you can sorta track via Amazon's order status page.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
From the r/relationships thread (?(!!)):

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

count the incredibly retarded decisions that lead to this thread existing:

[54 F] A loyal employee [41 F] played a "joke" on a long term intern. [21 M] He's seething and will not come back unless the employee is fired. My partner told me I need to find a way to keep both

"Hey so I run a startup of about 15 people with an old partner of mine.

About an hour ago a conflict happened that I don't know how to deal with.

Our summer intern for the last three years is very well liked. Jake (fake names) has a lot of leeway and we let him choose one day a week to work from home. He chooses Friday, which isn't an issue because he still completes his work and is available on Skype. The only drawback is sometimes he forgets to send his hours in and doesn't get paid until Monday. He never usually cares because "hey that's my fault" as he says.

So today, Jake was in the office. He submitted his hours to Jenna, however when everyone started printing their checks, Jake didn't have his to print.

He went to Jenna (Jenna's desk is next to mine) to ask where his check was. She told him she scheduled it to be sent on Monday as a joke. Jake kept his cool for a while until he realized that she had actually sent his check when he was in the office, and he absolutely lost his poo poo.

According to Jake, he has a lease he's supposed to sign today and now he can't. He flipped out on Jenna, screamed at her and stormed out to "to go get a loan because payroll is playing with my loving money".

I reprimanded Jenna immediately. I told her that wasn't Acceptable, and she claimed she thought it was ok because of her joking relationship with Jake and his usual friendly nature.

I called Jake once he left, and he told me he couldn't talk because he was at the bank getting a loan. He called me back later and told me that he's not coming to our office BBQ tomorrow, and that if Jenna is there on Monday he's quitting immediately.

This is a huge problem. Jake isn't really just an intern. He handles a lot of major stuff for us because he's been here since the beginning. We are planning to offer Jake a full time offer at the end of the summer, and now that's up in smoke. Jenna, works for cheap and is really good at her job.

My partner (who was at a meeting during this) thinks there is a way to keep both. I disagree. I've never seen Jake this mad, and he hung up on me when I asked him if Jenna could speak to him to resolve it. Jenna has never made a mistake and those two were really close before today.

I kind of want to call Jake and tell him to take a few days to work from home so he can calm down, but I feel like he would see that as me taking her side.

My partner and I decided that we're going to pay the bank whatever Jake had to take out to sign his lease on Monday. We've texted Jake that, and his reply was "Thanks. I'm still quitting if she's there Monday. That's ridiculous. She can't arbitrarily decide to withhold my check for kicks."

Any idea how to handle this? We're a very close knit company so losing either would be a huge blow to morale.

Tl;dr woman who does payroll at my company decided to set our intern to be paid on Monday as joke. Our intern had to get a bank loan to sign his lease and we told him we'd cover that. He claims that he's quitting unless the woman that does payroll is fired. They were very close before this incident. My boss wants us to keep both because the intern has been with us for 3 years /we're going to offer full time and payroll has done a tremendous job. Any solutions?"

taking this issue to r/relationships of all places is the free square

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you can't move that; that's a load-bearing intern

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
3 year intern? :staredog:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Randler posted:

Look, we value you being here and you do tremendous work, but we can't give you even actual part time positioning and pay here at stark up jokes INC until you are pranked so hard you get into money trouble.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

He was the intern three summers in a row, he didn’t work there for three years straight.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Gmail is fine for personal use, but I had to switch to it recently for business and god is its functionality pathetic in many, many ways. Although I'm sure a good part of that is our incompetent IT. But ironically, gmail search is loving horrific.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Randler posted:

Not uncommon for alternating semester coops or just every summer starting as a sophomore.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Absurd Alhazred posted:

From the r/relationships thread (?(!!)):

Tell Jake, "Work it out with Jenna, and we will offer you a full time position. Otherwise, don't show up for the rest of the summer, and I would recommend not putting this company as a reference."

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

haha yeah no

jenna should have offered the money out of pocket until he could pay her back when his check came in

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
You know, people laugh at the bureaucratic horrors of the megacorp world (anti-harassment training slideshows, formal complaint policies, dress codes). I know I do.

Then you look at companies where they just wing everything and assume it's all fine because we're all pals here...

Large cap companies get good lawyers and eventually understand that they have to cover their asses 500 ways. Sure, the rules are different if you're privately held, but there are still good reasons why companies eventually have to become boring and bureaucratic if they want to survive.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neon Noodle posted:

You know, people laugh at the bureaucratic horrors of the megacorp world (anti-harassment training slideshows, formal complaint policies, dress codes). I know I do.

Then you look at companies where they just wing everything and assume it's all fine because we're all pals here...

Large cap companies get good lawyers and eventually understand that they have to cover their asses 500 ways. Sure, the rules are different if you're privately held, but there are still good reasons why companies eventually have to become boring and bureaucratic if they want to survive.

You can outsource most of your HR process, including payroll, to an outside company these days, even as a startup. They'll make sure to get those paychecks out for your on time, even if your money flow is a bit irregular, to a point. There's no excuse for handing that over to your pal, "person I know who will do it for peanuts."

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Kim Jong Il posted:

Gmail is fine for personal use, but I had to switch to it recently for business and god is its functionality pathetic in many, many ways. Although I'm sure a good part of that is our incompetent IT. But ironically, gmail search is loving horrific.

What did you switch from? We just went from gmail to Outlook, and it's loving terrible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You can outsource most of your HR process, including payroll, to an outside company these days, even as a startup. They'll make sure to get those paychecks out for your on time, even if your money flow is a bit irregular, to a point. There's no excuse for handing that over to your pal, "person I know who will do it for peanuts."

It wasn't irregular cash flow though, it sounds like the intern was working for an hourly wage, and so he had to get timesheets in to get paid. That's not unreasonable, what's wrong is that their person who does payroll thought it would be funny to delay his pay, and happened to pick the absolute worst week to do it.

In that situation, the intern did nothing wrong until after his paycheck was delayed, and it sounds like the company is too small to keep them separated. This is the kind of call you have to make as an owner/manager, and it's the type of situation that you have to take as a learning experience to make sure it never happens again. There are about a dozen ways this could have been avoided, but now it's too late unless the dude changes his mind.

a foolish pianist posted:

What did you switch from? We just went from gmail to Outlook, and it's loving terrible.

Do you have an actual Exchange server, or are you using Office 365? Or are you just using Outlook as a front end e-mail client for a hosted e-mail?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kim Jong Il posted:

Gmail is very good (for my needs) except for the search. How could google gently caress that up, its amazing

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Per posted:

As a surprise to no one.
Denmark is actually rather highly regulated and one can just look at cross-border taxi travels, where Swedish taxi drivers are only allowed to pick up customers at a certain zone at Kastrup. There were occasions where Swedish taxi drivers tried to pick up customers in Copenhagen and were hunted by danish taxi drivers.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It makes sense for the government to go after the drivers. They broke the law, obviously! - said probably some idiot on the internet.

Really lovely that these people are struggling to survive and getting hosed form both directions.

I dunno. The sleaziness of Uber is very public. It's not like these drivers were blindsided. It's like taking a contract with Donald Trump at this point. If you're not getting your payment up front it's kinda your own fault when he inevitably stiffs you.

I mean, what were the driver's logic: Uber will gently caress everyone but me, the loyal contractor?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do you have an actual Exchange server, or are you using Office 365? Or are you just using Outlook as a front end e-mail client for a hosted e-mail?

It's Office 365. We were a startup using google stuff, but Nokia bought us in February. The change has been painful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cardiac posted:

As a surprise to no one.
Denmark is actually rather highly regulated and one can just look at cross-border taxi travels, where Swedish taxi drivers are only allowed to pick up customers at a certain zone at Kastrup. There were occasions where Swedish taxi drivers tried to pick up customers in Copenhagen and were hunted by danish taxi drivers.

Trans-Border Taxi Turf War, now on Steam Early Access.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Elias_Maluco posted:

Gmail is very good (for my needs) except for the search. How could google gently caress that up, its amazing

To be fair, search in Outlook is pretty bad too.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
i'll just shamelessly promote this here since someone else posted it in the trump thread

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/888815802450944000

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Trans-Border Taxi Turf War, now on Steam Early Access.

I would totally play this game.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Weatherman posted:

I would totally play this game.

Only if there are tire irons and the ability to put water in gastanks.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

Normal Outlook which had its flaws, it takes 10 years to load with my gigantic PST file. But search actually works, the calendar isn't a pathetic joke, and I could actually read my emails without having to deal with the idiotic trash security software our IT uses.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I dunno. The sleaziness of Uber is very public. It's not like these drivers were blindsided. It's like taking a contract with Donald Trump at this point. If you're not getting your payment up front it's kinda your own fault when he inevitably stiffs you.

I mean, what were the driver's logic: Uber will gently caress everyone but me, the loyal contractor?

Actually I imagine their logic was more like "well poo poo I can't find a job and this is better than being homeless" like a lot of people's logic when they end up doing shady poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Only if there are tire irons and the ability to put water in gastanks.

*takes out notepad* So I have you down for paid DLC tire irons and microtransaction water. Go on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

donoteat posted:

i'll just shamelessly promote this here since someone else posted it in the trump thread

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/888815802450944000

A good article as far as blowing up hyperloop on the capacity issue, which I don't think they've ever denied per se but they certainly don't advertise. I think how they'd frame it is that they're trying to compete with airplanes, not commuter trains.

Incredibly dumb to then draw the conclusion that philly and baltimore will be super gentrified by a wave of hyperloop commuters. You've just proven that the thing can only carry ten thousand people per day. A few thousand rich new yorkers are not gonna displace an entire city by themselves.

If hyperloop is built and is successful, it'll start out more like the concorde than anything else. The real question will be the operating and maintenance costs. The concorde was supposed to be the first wave of what would eventually be supersonic flight for everyone. Turned out the ongoing costs were too high and they couldn't make their money back even charging exorbitant prices. If hyperloop is the same, it'll fail.

If it turns out to be sustainable, you can always dig more tunnels. Then your model is more like the japanese high-speed rail network, which also started out small and very expensive (it's still kinda expensive).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It only takes a few hundred people to gentrify the heck out of a neighborhood, let alone a few thousand.

But also the entire hyperloop concept is essentially impossible to build already over long distances, due to the extreme amount of power you need to expend to keep the partial vacuum throughout hundreds of miles of tubes, as well as the tons of maintenance that would need to be done to keep up the various related seals and poo poo. And that's to say nothing about the practically of the vehicles being powered, or keeping people from getting inured by the purported acceleration and deceleration involved, or tons of other things.

Anyway: "you can always dig more tunnels"? Really? We're talking tunnels that could likely take 20 years to excavate the first pair of tubes judging by recent high tech tunnel projects with similar constraints, like the Gotthard Base Tunnel. Plus it's not like there's infinite space on the reasonable paths between station locations, or infinite room to expand the stations and associated infrastructure. You might need to spend trillions just to boost potential ridership up to the actual capacity of existing infrastructure between all the construction, real estate costs, and maintenance.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 23, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The entire premise behind hyperloop and the ditch-digging company is that those costs can be reduced by several orders of magnitude.

Which I'm not saying I believe is true. SpaceX is in the process of overturning their industry, but it's not like there weren't plenty of other people looking at space launch circa 2005 and saying "this sucks". It was pretty obviously a cartel situation with a minimum of competition or innovation happening, and the world's biggest customer (the us gov't) totally captured by the lobby. Elon happened to have the money and chutzpah to do something about it. Good for him.

I don't know that there are a lot of geotechnical engineers sitting around bemoaning the state of tunnel boring at parties, and imagining how much better it would be if only Big Drill didn't have everyone over a barrel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Klyith posted:

The entire premise behind hyperloop and the ditch-digging company is that those costs can be reduced by several orders of magnitude.

Which I'm not saying I believe is true. SpaceX is in the process of overturning their industry, but it's not like there weren't plenty of other people looking at space launch circa 2005 and saying "this sucks". It was pretty obviously a cartel situation with a minimum of competition or innovation happening, and the world's biggest customer (the us gov't) totally captured by the lobby. Elon happened to have the money and chutzpah to do something about it. Good for him.

I don't know that there are a lot of geotechnical engineers sitting around bemoaning the state of tunnel boring at parties, and imagining how much better it would be if only Big Drill didn't have everyone over a barrel.

I can believe that a lot of geotechnical engineers can be boring at parties.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Klyith posted:

Incredibly dumb to then draw the conclusion that philly and baltimore will be super gentrified

Uhhh they already are getting super gentrified? Like Fishtown and Northern Liberties border the projects and they're basically just as expensive (if not moreso) than Center City at this point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

There's shitloads of competition for being able to build tunnels fast and cheap, it just doesn't work out. Actually moving hundreds of miles by a 5 meter diameter length of soil and rock is going to take time and money, there's no way around that.

Also I have no idea what you mean by no competition in space launches or overturning an industry. You could do cheap launches over at the former Soviet facilities and usually competitive priced launches from the ESA's bases. Rich people gave the Russians a cool few million and put themselves into an actual space station for days at a time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A big flaming stink posted:

Uhhh they already are getting super gentrified? Like Fishtown and Northern Liberties border the projects and they're basically just as expensive (if not moreso) than Center City at this point.

no this is gonna be ultra-secret double gentrfication! the pure and innocent native culture of Philladelphia and Baltimore will be driven out or appropriated by ravenous hyperlooping New Yorkers. The only place you'll be able to get a cheesesteak or crabcake will be in trendy NY-fusion restaurants, and it will be served by a guy with a brooklyn accent and a yankees hat!

fishmech posted:

Also I have no idea what you mean by no competition in space launches or overturning an industry. You could do cheap launches over at the former Soviet facilities and usually competitive priced launches from the ESA's bases. Rich people gave the Russians a cool few million and put themselves into an actual space station for days at a time.

Hahaha no you are talking out of your rear end. ESA launch was plenty expensive. Russian was cheaper but not that cheap. Offset by things like transport, higher insurance, and the fact that the US govt can't use a russian launch for most things.

The cost rich dudes paid to go to the ISS has zero bearing on any real costs. And that was $20-40 million btw.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Klyith posted:

Elon happened to have the money and chutzpah to do something about it. Good for him.

You know this guy personally or what?