Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I was only making GBS threads on the load times on the PS1 port of Chrono Trigger. Chrono is my modern day Jesus analogue risen from the dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Controversial opinion: Yuji Horii makes good games.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Code Jockey posted:

Totally agree with this post, but drat do I wish Emulationstation would get a port to PC / android, holy poo poo do I love that interface on my retropies

Emulationstation already exists for PC...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Another 30-year anniversay today.

https://twitter.com/nightygale/status/877392789503229952

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

What the gently caress?

First the thread shits on Super Mario World, now Chrono Trigger? This is some kinda ironic posting right. Tell me you're not being serious :ohdear:

Chrono Trigger does devolve into a bunch of boss fights after Zeal. Unless you talk to the old man to learn about the unfinished side quests the game's narrative halts completely right at the climax. And Super Mario World is visually bland and mechanically conservative compared to how pioneering Mario 3 was.

I don't think that's making GBS threads on them and no one is denying they're classics.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zaphod42 posted:

What does that have to do with chrono trigger

I'm unfunny and trying to say something contrarian like Sonic sucks.

I've barely played any Sonic games and it's the online fandom that probably drives my hatred toward it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey this thing is happening in a couple days: http://segabits.com/blog/2017/06/21/sega-forever-officially-revealed-and-detailed/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They actually managed to get Saturn games running on non-native hardware? :eyepop:

How did they manage it without appeasing the programmer's keyboard with the lifeblood of an intern?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Zaphod42 posted:

What the gently caress?

First the thread shits on Super Mario World, now Chrono Trigger? This is some kinda ironic posting right. Tell me you're not being serious :ohdear:

I'm not "the thread" I'm just one person. And I'm not really making GBS threads on it, I just don't like it that much. I really loved the first half of chrono trigger but I feel like it 100% put it's best foot forward, and that the rest is padding out a few story points with way too many fights.

Fighting wasn't the fun part of that game for me, but it's like they had to add another 10 hours onto the game so while a lot of the fights are avoidable in the beginning, there's a point where they aren't really.

There's also a few times where the game punishes you with boredom, which I'm really not a fan of.

All that said I think the story and aesthetic is rad, and Lucca is best girl.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They actually managed to get Saturn games running on non-native hardware? :eyepop:

How did they manage it without appeasing the programmer's keyboard with the lifeblood of an intern?

The trailer is very clear about how they did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPnCBe0cLos

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

I'm unfunny and trying to say something contrarian like Sonic sucks.

I've barely played any Sonic games and it's the online fandom that probably drives my hatred toward it

if you're younger than 30 you probably didn't enjoy the 3 or 4 good games that somehow gave the entire pile of poo poo all the unearned goodwill it has so we get it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Regular Nintendo posted:

if you're younger than 30 you probably didn't enjoy the 3 or 4 good games that somehow gave the entire pile of poo poo all the unearned goodwill it has so we get it

I am 30.

A lot of my disinterest in Sonic and pretty much anything from Sega is that my exposure to 16-bit consoles when they were contemporary was limited to my parents renting an SNES for a weekend for me and my sister or visiting someone that had an SNES

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All the fan projects have to figure out the weirdness on their own.

Sega's own emulator developers have full, legal, access to all the original documentation and source code where that's available, so it's much easier to emulate a complex system like the Saturn.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sega forever seems like it will own on android where there is good controller support. iOS seems like it will suck with touchscreen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

The trailer is very clear about how they did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPnCBe0cLos

Well okay then, seems perfectly straightforward and logical to me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sega forever seems like it will own on android where there is good controller support. iOS seems like it will suck with touchscreen

I just wish it was on a home console as well as a smartphone. Fingers crossed for a collection release, I guess.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
I will be surprised if we get Saturn games that were not part of Gametap or the original "Port Saturn games to PC" initiative. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy Virtual On, Bug, Daytona, and Panzer Dragoon, as much as the next guy, but we need more!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wish they would give us Sonic Jam again somewhere, but it's easier to just port the originals and not mess with the weird 3D lobby thing at all so they'll never bother

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It says original controller support in the video. Who the gently caress knows how though.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

fishmech posted:

All the fan projects have to figure out the weirdness on their own.

Sega's own emulator developers have full, legal, access to all the original documentation and source code where that's available, so it's much easier to emulate a complex system like the Saturn.

I wonder just how much of that stuff still exists. I hear about people buying old equipment used by the original programmers and finding the source code to some games still on the hard drive. Or that guy that bought a collection of PC games and one disc was a CD-R with the starcraft source on it. That Blizzard asked him to give back once they found out.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

That's kind of a bold statement.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And yet one I am not too inclined to dispute.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nullsmack posted:

I wonder just how much of that stuff still exists. I hear about people buying old equipment used by the original programmers and finding the source code to some games still on the hard drive. Or that guy that bought a collection of PC games and one disc was a CD-R with the starcraft source on it. That Blizzard asked him to give back once they found out.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Sega has both the original source code, probably, and at the very least the legal ability to copy off all the actual ROM data needed for the system's firmware and chips to run, as well as all the documentation of the system hardware. The games' source code wouldn't matter that much, though it's always nice if you can get it.

The unofficial emulator authors usually need to rely on reverse engineering all this stuff, or having their users hunt down some of that code from their own Saturns, to avoid legal issues. Essentially, it needs to operate like a clean room design, and it's easy to emulate things the wrong way or inefficiently when you do it that way

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

On the arcade front, this year has been a busy one - we've already had Contra, Flying Shark, 1943, and Rastan; Dragon Spirit was yesterday; R-Type, Double Dragon, Wonder Boy In Monster Land, Shinobi, Thunder Blade, and Kyukyoku Tiger are coming up later.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Gradius turned 32 this year :colbert:

Space Invaders turns 40 next year

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

fishmech posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Sega has both the original source code, probably, and at the very least the legal ability to copy off all the actual ROM data needed for the system's firmware and chips to run, as well as all the documentation of the system hardware. The games' source code wouldn't matter that much, though it's always nice if you can get it.
A lot less of the original source code still exists than you'd probably think.

I'm also pretty sure that at this point, due to various quirks of fate, more of the original programming manuals are in the community's possession than Sega's. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

A lot less of the original source code still exists than you'd probably think.

I'm also pretty sure that at this point, due to various quirks of fate, more of the original programming manuals are in the community's possession than Sega's. :v:

Essentially Nintendo is just about the only company that actually put effort into preserving and archiving documentation. I bet most of the Sega source code was in the dumpster within two years after a product's release and documentation was gone six months after it was discontinued. What little documentation and source code we have is usually because developers hung onto to something.

I'm super dubious about the Saturn products on the platform, too, and the reverse engineered back from the much easier to handle PC ports is a lot more likely than not. We won't even see Panzer Dragoon Zwei, let alone Saga.

Hell, I noticed that the only non-Genesis thing they show in the trailer is an icon that is swiped past for Crazy Taxi (yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah). Okay, they're launching with a selection of the biggest releases; that's an obvious choice. But for a project that promises the fully history of Sega, they're awfully focused on one platform.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Better release streets of rage 2 so I can buy it on yet another platform

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/877596180435185664

welp

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I can confirm this - Sonic 1 is a rebranded 2013 iOS release. Altered Beast and Phantasy Star II do not have iCade support, so using an 8bitdo to play either is not happening.

Do not download. Not worth your time. Same ol poo poo.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
That is real fuckin dumb especially considering the weird marketing push they've had for the Sega Forever brand. Like why go through the effort of sending out demo tapes of game music if you're going to half-rear end the release of the games themselves.

I know the answer is Sega, but still.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I somehow thought it was just Myst and Riven but there are 5 main games, an MMO spinoff that's still running, and 3 novels with 2 more planned. Is anything good beyond the first 2 games?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I can confirm this - Sonic 1 is a rebranded 2013 iOS release. Altered Beast and Phantasy Star II do not have iCade support, so using an 8bitdo to play either is not happening.

Do not download. Not worth your time. Same ol poo poo.

8bitdo could add a mode via firmware update for the modern iOS controller standard, but the dev said on their forum that they don't want to pay for the developer license. :sigh: It's a non-issue if you jailbreak I guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

I somehow thought it was just Myst and Riven but there are 5 main games, an MMO spinoff that's still running, and 3 novels with 2 more planned. Is anything good beyond the first 2 games?

I few years ago I tried to play through the Myst series in order. I stalled out halfway through Riven.

As I recall, it's Myst IV: Revelations that's a pain to get. Not that it's particularly expensive, just that your choices are the less locatable PC releases (not on any of the usual online sites) or the Xbox version. All of the other games are on Steam and Gog, it's just that one that's not.

Also, Uru definitely counts as a "main game", so there's six games in the series.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It never ceases to amaze me how companies like Sega and Squenix managed to reduce their really good classic games to shovelware.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how companies like Sega and Squenix managed to reduce their really good classic games to shovelware.

Seiken Densetsu Collection for the Switch is really good but lol they won't ever release it here

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

That is real fuckin dumb especially considering the weird marketing push they've had for the Sega Forever brand. Like why go through the effort of sending out demo tapes of game music if you're going to half-rear end the release of the games themselves.

Because that's actually a really cheap way to get free marketing from "influencers".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'll wait for the home port of Lethal Influencers since it comes with Konami's Markiplier gun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been playing a bunch of Wild Arms 2 to kick off the summer aka Old Games Season. The varied party members are real fun and keep the game more mechanically engaging than the first, since in the first one after about 10 hours into the game your basic strategy never really changed at all. The translation though...yeesh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I picked up the PS2 versions of MGS2 and 3 recently (I've only ever played them in the HD collection re-release) so I could play Snake vs Monkey and Solid Snake Skateboarding.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I few years ago I tried to play through the Myst series in order. I stalled out halfway through Riven.

As I recall, it's Myst IV: Revelations that's a pain to get. Not that it's particularly expensive, just that your choices are the less locatable PC releases (not on any of the usual online sites) or the Xbox version. All of the other games are on Steam and Gog, it's just that one that's not.

Also, Uru definitely counts as a "main game", so there's six games in the series.

Exile is also hard to find that I just happened to find at a Goodwill for $2 sealed a few weeks ago. Only Myst Riven and End of Ages are available digitally for the mainline. Exile and Revelations are owned by Ubisoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

In Training posted:

Also I picked up the PS2 versions of MGS2 and 3 recently (I've only ever played them in the HD collection re-release) so I could play Snake vs Monkey and Solid Snake Skateboarding.

You got Substance and the two disk version of Subsistence, right? Snakeboarding wasn't on the original Sons of Liberty and while I think Snake vs Monkey was on the original Snake Eater, there's a one disk version of Subsistence floating around that was part of an anthology that is basically just Snake Eater with none of the fun bonuses, like boss rush mode, or the secret theater, or the MSX games.

• Locked thread