Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Eifert Posting posted:

I would say the AE stuff is largely worth it

You can just use best of both worlds no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lol I said something nice about the large campaign style mods literally right before getting to the point in helgen reborn where it suddenly veers into cringe.

Immediately after I posted that it started having these training missions with extremely stilted dialogue being high fantasy racist/sexist which, ok whatever. Then immediately after that you have to screw a sex worker a bunch of times in order for her to give you information on where the big bad dude is.

There isn't any interactivity or choice involved at all. It's literally just click on hooker click on bed haha bitches like money amirite? Eesh. It felt like a 12-year-old was designing a video game and about 2/3 of the way through decided they really wanted a mature rating.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

Lol I said something nice about the large campaign style mods literally right before getting to the point in helgen reborn where it suddenly veers into cringe.

Immediately after I posted that it started having these training missions with extremely stilted dialogue being high fantasy racist/sexist which, ok whatever. Then immediately after that you have to screw a sex worker a bunch of times in order for her to give you information on where the big bad dude is.

There isn't any interactivity or choice involved at all. It's literally just click on hooker click on bed haha bitches like money amirite? Eesh. It felt like a 12-year-old was designing a video game and about 2/3 of the way through decided they really wanted a mature rating.

Helgen Reborn flies out the window for me the second the guy with the awful Ahnold impersonation shows up. It says something about how awful the excessively long dungeons you have to drag recruits through are that I don't even remember the sex workers.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

GD it, why they always gotta poo poo in the salad like this

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
The prostitute is weird but those recruit training missions are unforgivable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I still say that Helgen Reborn is worth all its bullshit for its end result: your own town right in the middle of Skyrim.

Also the guy with the Schwarzenegger accent is hilarious, you folks have no taste in comedy :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ah gently caress, there's another new version of Skyrim which has incompatible mods and stuff?

I already have both LE and SE Skyrim so I guess I'm okay. I'm waiting till I get a newer, better comp in a few months, anyhow. Just got he sudden itch to replay it but I don't feel like installing all the mods again at the moment.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Ah gently caress, there's another new version of Skyrim which has incompatible mods and stuff?

I already have both LE and SE Skyrim so I guess I'm okay. I'm waiting till I get a newer, better comp in a few months, anyhow. Just got he sudden itch to replay it but I don't feel like installing all the mods again at the moment.

AE is compatible with SE mods. It's more like a DLC for SE.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

I still say that Helgen Reborn is worth all its bullshit for its end result: your own town right in the middle of Skyrim.

Also the guy with the Schwarzenegger accent is hilarious, you folks have no taste in comedy :colbert:

And yet they play him as a Serious Character in a Serious Plot with grimdark slavery bullshit in it. It's amusing for about one unskippable scene. Then there's loads more.

WHILE I'M AT IT, gently caress the lengthy, unskippable arena sequence that's dull as hell and all for something you could just pay for with money.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah. I am so glad I am done with Falskaar. It was so bad. Worse than I expected even, and my expectations were pretty low.

Why was I forced to let that boring bad guy fucker have very dull and unskippable conversations with the slowest-talking, most boring, most-ridiculously-accented NPC on the planet? Why did I have to listen to it? Why were there, like, six of these? Why couldn't I fireball the fucker at any point? Why did I have to keep letting him run away? Why was the ending a two second battle after multiple minutes of jabbering followed by some weirdass slideshow where I didn't even get to kill the dude and a dragon shows up out of nowhere?

Hell - Why was I stuck on that island until I traveled all the way across it and paid some joker 500g to leave?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

The community seems super mad over people having Patreon exclusive mods when someone doing modding full time because of Patreon acting as their job would never had made that mod otherwise.

I'm not mad, just of the mindset that if you want to get paid for making game content, then just make your own game. It's easier than its ever been. :shrug:

BobDoleTrasher posted:

Anyone got a link to the one magic rune mod that replaces all of them with the dickbutt one?

I made that! It's here. Even though that's the oldrim nexus, it works fine with SE/AE.

Rinkles posted:

I need to figure out how to do this myself, because this problem is making some mods look pretty crummy. I haven't had great results with the waifu2x online converter.

This is actually why I now have an informal rule of not bothering with texture mods. The different art styles clash. I'll use mesh improvements, like SMIM or those FNV mods that improve collision, but I try to stick to vanilla quality graphics when I mod older games these days.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 18, 2022

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Speaking of bad mods, I tried The Legend of Slender Man by Mihail over the weekend, and unfortunately - despite Mihails usual high-level of graphical quality - it's overall a buggy mess, with notably dire text full of pseudo-philosophical claptrap. A pity, because the idea of something dire and horrific happening in the forests of Falkreath strikes a real chord with me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Something dire and horrific does happen in the forests of Falkreath.

I hate that loving quest. Apparently Barbas is made to get way closer to you than most dog followers. gently caress off, Barbas!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

The barking... the non stop endless barking... I hear it still!

I keep meaning to look for good dog replaces that will fix that

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Moreau posted:

The barking... the non stop endless barking... I hear it still!

I keep meaning to look for good dog replaces that will fix that

That's the same reason I've never done a necromancy playthrough, even though there is a simple oldrim mod (that still works for SE/AE) that just replaces all the zombie groan sounds with silence. I should see if I could adapt the same thing to dogs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm working on the hardest thing to do in Skyrim, getting rid of all quest required items in your inventory in the mid to late game.

I'm down to five or six but two are related to midwood Isle and one is related to clockwork so I'm going to be at it a while.

Edit: I actually console disabled my horse because for some reason its AI makes it want to step on your heels the entire game. It was, like, wandering in front of me when I was trying to shoot something. Sorry, Sweetroll *presses tilde*

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 19, 2022

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, trying to install all those mods for Oblivion was so frustrating that I just gave up. Now I'm giving it another shot. This time I just plan to install OBSE, NorthernUI, and the unofficial patch if possible. However, before I can try that, I need to get NorthernUI to work properly, and this is where I am having trouble.

I installed OBSE as instructed in the readme. (I copied obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and the Data directory to my Oblivion installation location.) I then installed NorthernUI as instructed on the mod page, by copying all of the files in the zip to my Oblivion installation location. The result is that NorthernUI is installed, but only partially functional. I can now control the game with the controller and there is now a clock in the upper left corner of the HUD. However, all of the other UI stuff is the same as vanilla, and when I go to Options on the main menu, there is no Gamepad option to select. Can someone give me a clue as to what I might have done wrong?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

NorthernUI installation instructions posted:

Extract the mod into your Data directory (or create an OMOD out of it) to use it.

Mod Organizer 2 requires that you follow special instructions in order to support OBSE plug-ins, including the one that this mod contains. If you're using older versions of Mod Organizer, you will need to manually install the contents of the Data/OBSE/ folder.

Note that in Oblivion, file timestamps actually matter. If the "Date Modified" on your vanilla BSA files is newer than the "Date Modified" on a mod's files, then the mod will not install properly. When you install the game, Steam sets the "Date Modified" on the vanilla files to the install date. You can work around this by changing the timestamps with a mod manager (if yours supports this) or third-party Windows utilities; alternatively, you can try installing SkyBSA, which was developed to fix the game's file handling.

Sounds like the new changes aren't being registered as being "newer" than the original files, so installing SkyBSA should help. You really should be using a mod manager for all this, even when you're just using a few mods.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Sounds like the new changes aren't being registered as being "newer" than the original files, so installing SkyBSA should help. You really should be using a mod manager for all this, even when you're just using a few mods.

Okay. So...

In order to use SkyBSA I need to use Mod Organizer. In order to use Mod Organizer with OBSE plugins, I have to follow the special instructions. The special instructions say that I need to "download xOBSE from the official website." Specifically, it says I to need download: obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_loader.exe, and Data. I go to the github repository and look for these files. Not a single one of them is there. :bang:

Okay, so, here are some questions. Is xOBSE the same thing as OBSE? If so, can I just download the files from the OBSE website I am familiar with and use those? If not, where can I find the xOBSE versions?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ariong posted:

Okay. So...

In order to use SkyBSA I need to use Mod Organizer. In order to use Mod Organizer with OBSE plugins, I have to follow the special instructions. The special instructions say that I need to "download xOBSE from the official website." Specifically, it says I to need download: obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_loader.exe, and Data. I go to the github repository and look for these files. Not a single one of them is there. :bang:

Okay, so, here are some questions. Is xOBSE the same thing as OBSE? If so, can I just download the files from the OBSE website I am familiar with and use those? If not, where can I find the xOBSE versions?

All of those files are in the latest release linked on the xOBSE github.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

Okay. So...

https://github.com/llde/xOBSE/releases

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ariong posted:

Okay. So...

xOBSE is an actively updated and maintained version of OBSE, meaning it has a steadily increasing plethora of features the original version doesn't have.

To download:
1. Click the github link
2. Scroll down to the Download section, right above Installation and click "Download the latest OBSE"

3. Once you've arrived at the new page scroll down to the bottom and click the xOBSE zip file.

All the stuff should be in there.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yes!!!!! It's working! Thank you so much everyone. I could have spent my whole life trying to get these four mods installed without your help.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Have fun! 😊

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

AE is compatible with SE mods. It's more like a DLC for SE.

Not if the SE mods use SKSE.

AE is like SE, except with a few CC mods thrown in and built with a new version of compiler. It's barely different, but different enough to break a bunch of scripting mods.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Gadfly posted:

Not if the SE mods use SKSE.

AE is like SE, except with a few CC mods thrown in and built with a new version of compiler. It's barely different, but different enough to break a bunch of scripting mods.

The vast majority of SKSE mods these days are AE compliant now that there's an SKSE version for Anniversary Edition. Mods that require .Net Script Framework, however, will probably never be ported to SE just because of the sheer coding nightmare prospect that is trying to make a new version of .Net Script Framework just for Anniversary Edition. Luckily those are few and far between now, it looks like.

The only mod I have that still relies on .Net Script Framework is No Grass In Objects, specifically it's grass LOD precache generator, and for that I keep a bunch of separate dedicated SE downgrade copies of the mods/programs it needs to run in my Mod Organizer file list and then just use the downgrade patcher whenever I need to regenerate the grass LODs and then re-update back to AE when it's finished.

It's a pain in the rear end, but like the man says, it just works.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I'm noodling around in Outfit Studio, figuring out how to split armor meshes into various component parts so I can build some silly mashups and I come across this on the Leather Armor

Any idea what is going on there, and how I can avoid it? I want to set those shoulder pauldrons as separate vertices.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moreau posted:

I'm noodling around in Outfit Studio, figuring out how to split armor meshes into various component parts so I can build some silly mashups and I come across this on the Leather Armor

Any idea what is going on there, and how I can avoid it? I want to set those shoulder pauldrons as separate vertices.

Outfit Studio's only good at rearranging parts of existing models, unless you can find models that have already been broken down into components themselves. To actually delete model vertices you'll need to import the mesh into Blender or a similar 3D modeling software.

If you are looking for a repositiory of already hacked up pauldron models to use in your mashups, check out this mod here: Pauldron.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I thought the male leather armour might work like the female leather armour - which has separate shoulderpads meshes baked into the NIF model, so you can easily turn them on and off. It turns out that with the male armour, the developers didnt bother meshing the armour under the shoulderpads, and as such, the textures dont exist. It's all baked into one unit, so even if you could separate the shoulderpads, you'd have to create new a new mesh to properly show the underlying armour, and generate all new textures just to get something similar to the female model

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Anyone had a problem where you can't pay a fine or submit and go to jail with guards? If I choose those options, I just get one dialogue option, "wait, what's the problem?", and then it loops back to the pay/submit/resist options.

I figured Guard Dialogue Overhaul must be causing it, so I first tried moving it further down the load order, then disabling it. No dice. It's not the biggest issue, since I try not to get in trouble with guards, but it's annoying knowing that if I amass a bounty at any point, I have to reload a save cause the only fine the guards accept is death.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 24, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I did it. High level character with no stupid required item bloat in the inventory. ... For like 20 minutes in game. Now I have a vampire torso? Ok I guess.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Skyrim Modding: Now I have a vampire torso? Ok I guess.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a way to list or see all dialogue/voice lines a particular follower has? I realised that I've only ever really played with Lydia, Lucien, Inigo and Serana. I was thinking to grab a new follower and swap them out when I've heard everything they have to say

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moreau posted:

Is there a way to list or see all dialogue/voice lines a particular follower has? I realised that I've only ever really played with Lydia, Lucien, Inigo and Serana. I was thinking to grab a new follower and swap them out when I've heard everything they have to say

IIRC, the dialog is separated by voice type, not specific follower, so you could maybe check a modder's resource that lists that out. Ant it would depend on if you use something like RDO or not, since those fill out some voice types and lines.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I installed AVO because I just wanted a basic rear end visual upgrade

Unfortunately the ENB isn't great that comes with it, everything is very bright. Brights are bright and darks are also bright.

I tried the most popular ENB and that looked better, but darks were TOO dark, to the point a torch in the nearby Whiterun prison I couldn't see five feet in front of my face.

Anyone got a better ENB suggestion?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

IIRC, the dialog is separated by voice type, not specific follower, so you could maybe check a modder's resource that lists that out. Ant it would depend on if you use something like RDO or not, since those fill out some voice types and lines.

That jibes with what I'm finding, aye. So there isn't a set of voice lines for Faendral, as an example. Rather there are a series of lines for the MaleEvenToned voice type that actors in the Hireling/Follower factions use. It looks like a normal follower in base Skyrim would have access to around 100 lines, which makes the several thousand for companions like Inigo even more impressive.

I'll dig a little deeper this weekend to see if I can figure out how dialogue lines are assigned to factions, quests and AI packages, if only to satiate my own curiosity.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I installed AVO because I just wanted a basic rear end visual upgrade

Unfortunately the ENB isn't great that comes with it, everything is very bright. Brights are bright and darks are also bright.

I tried the most popular ENB and that looked better, but darks were TOO dark, to the point a torch in the nearby Whiterun prison I couldn't see five feet in front of my face.

Anyone got a better ENB suggestion?

I think the big three that people recommend these days are Silent Horizon, Pi-CHO (an extension of Silent Horizon) and the mainstay, Rudy. I run with Rudy for most of the time, but occasionally swap to one of the others.

To give you some rough ideas of Rudy with ELFX + Exteriors and Cathedral Weathers:

This was taken at 6AM on a foggy morning outside Windhelm:

10PM on a clear night in the Reach

4PM on a clear day in the Reach

4PM in the swamps outside Morthal on a very rainy day

1PM on a snowy day outside Windhelm

On overcast or rainy nights it can get very dark, almost pitch black and I will need a torch - but for the most part its fine. Interiors are possibly a smidge too bright and I'm considering grabbing ELFX Interiors to darken it slightly.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Immersive Equipment Display can't do the animation switch on the fly with Nemesis. I have to install and use FNIS which of course breaks all my behavior mods.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
ELFX Exteriors makes everything too dark for me, and it does a ton of exterior edits that don't play well with other mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Usually if a enb I like is too dark at night or indoors I just open the in game enb settings and change the settings to lighten it up. No idea when so many people love pitch darkness at night sure it's realistic but is terrible to actually play.