Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/bbradleymp/stat...er%3D139%23pti4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is that supposed to be bad somehow?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i just wanna see the brown paper bag test at the entrance to that labour event if somebody white looking buys a bame ticket tbh

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Truga posted:

is that supposed to be bad somehow?

I got him confused with Ben Bradshaw and figured it was meant to be good

Because... it is

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tory Twitter is hilarious, the big killer blow people are coming up with for this is "if it were the opposite it would be bad though wouldn't it!"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

nopantsjack posted:

Tory Twitter is hilarious, the big killer blow people are coming up with for this is "if it were the opposite it would be bad though wouldn't it!"

As someone on Twitter said. Wait until he finds out about the nightclubs who let women I'm free before midnight etc

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

rev up the white genocide camps baby

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

does being a jew get me out of those despite my extremely white skin

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Jose posted:

No Jews allowed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jose posted:

You have some sort of STEM degree

guillotine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I only scraped a 2-2

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

I only scraped a 2-2

A world of educational possibilities and a bright future was made available, and through your own indolence you wasted the chance you were granted and washed up a second-tier mod on a dead gay forum

This is the twelfth type of liberalism

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jose posted:

I only scraped a 2-2

I don't know what this means, and I don't care to find out

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nebakenezzer posted:

It means Jose needs a helper to fasten his velcro shoes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

jose got his degree by being there until they got tired of him

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's the British university version of a participation trophy

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jazerus posted:

jose got his degree by being there until they got tired of him

Ah, the Eripsa gambit.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

It's the British university version of a participation trophy

that's not true, they have 3rd class degrees too

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Spherical Sponge posted:

that's not true, they have 3rd class degrees too

If a 2:2 is a plastic trophy with PARTICIPANT on it then a 3rd is just a big sheet of paper that says GOOD JOB!!! in crayon bubble letters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i was very close to dropping out but had committed so much time and money at that point i kept going

fortunately i've got a job doing exactly the kind of thing i'd probably have targeted had i changed course

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Firos posted:

No Jews allowed.

You're supposed to say 'no dogs or Jews'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:bisonyes:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/955492688241020928

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

:getin:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Crane Fist posted:

If a 2:2 is a plastic trophy with PARTICIPANT on it then a 3rd is just a big sheet of paper that says GOOD JOB!!! in crayon bubble letters

How dare you besmirch the noble tradition of the Gentleman's Third, obtained by such luminaries as Jacob Rees-Mogg

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Once again this thread has confused me, more than when I found out plugs were sold separately from appliances due to antediluvian ideas about standardization

Why would a university issue "lesser degrees" than a bachelors? I mean in North America you can minor in stuff but that's not a degree

And you can also get college level certifications at universities, but once again, not a degree

I found this on the NYT. Tell me britishers, has the NYT hosed up and written something worthwhile?

quote:

Britain Isn’t Working

By AARON BASTANIJAN. 23, 2018

LONDON — Last Monday Carillion, a Wolverhampton-based infrastructure and facilities management company, went into liquidation. The company has become an emblem of Britain’s public sector reforms over the last two decades, and its collapse represents a signal moment for the country.

The result of a demerger in 1999, the company became Britain’s second-biggest construction company with high-profile building projects including the Tate Modern, the Royal Opera House — and even the Channel Tunnel. But its operations did not stop there: Through a succession of mergers, Carillion moved into services and management. Rail tracks, hospitals, schools, prisons and military homes all fell within its capacious purview.

Carillion’s reach across the British economy is tentacular. Now, as it falters, the consequences of the government’s reliance on companies like it are plain for all to see. All 20,000 of Carillion’s British employees stand to lose their jobs, and the economic effects could prove potentially devastating. With up to 90 percent of Carillion’s work subcontracted out, as many as 30,000 businesses are potentially at risk.

As the fallout from the last week’s collapse continues to reverberate, in hindsight it’s obvious that the company’s business model, which mistook the temporary construction boom at the start of the millennium for something more enduring, died in the teeth of the Great Recession. In 2009 its market capitalization was half of what it was just two years earlier, a clear sign that investment had outstripped capacity.

Its seeming revival says much about the British economy since the crisis. Though Carillion had always drawn part of its revenue from government contracts, that relationship became much more important. Since 2011, the company has received government contracts worth up to 5.7 billion pounds (almost $8 billion), according to OpenOpps, an organization that collects data on public sector procurement.
Continue reading the main story

This was part of a wider trend: In the five years following 2010, state money spent on outsourcing — contracting private companies to build and manage public services — nearly doubled, reaching £120 billion by 2015. One forecast has predicted that by the end of this decade £1 in every three spent on delivering public services will go to outsourcing companies. This wave of private sector contracts has made Britain the second largest market for outsourcing in the world.

Such a shift in the provision of public infrastructure and services has served two political objectives since the election of the coalition government in 2010: reducing public expenditure and increasing jobs in the private sector. In both respects, outsourcing seemed to offer a means to achieve the otherwise impossible.

As a proportion of gross domestic product, public spending in Britain is now lower than any other advanced economy in Europe. While falling short of the former chancellor George Osborne’s objective to reduce the state to the size it was in the 1930s, that is a momentous and rapid shift in the postwar era. This has unfolded alongside the country’s “employment miracle,” which has seen the emergence of millions of new jobs in the private sector.

There’s only one problem. While the Conservatives could point to private sector job creation, and limited deficit reduction, this all unfolded alongside the biggest decline in real wages — measured as pay after inflation — since Watt’s steam engine. Between 2007 and 2015, wages fell 10.4 percent. This year that is expected to continue, with wages in Britain falling more than any other country in the O.E.C.D.

It’s the same story with productivity. In Britain an hour of work creates less output than it did 10 years ago. As with wages, there is no precedent for this in recent history — at least not since Napoleon invaded Russia. No comparable economy in the world today has endured such extraordinary inertia.

As workers took home less pay and productivity stagnated, Carillion, bolstered by hundreds of government contracts, continued to give its shareholders a profit. The company’s market capitalization returned to around pre-crash levels, as did its total revenue, which was £5.2 billion in both 2008 and 2016. But the figures were delusive: At the time of its liquidation, Carillion held just £29 million in cash, with debts of around £1.5 billion.

It is impossible to know whether the government was aware of just how bad Carillion’s real situation was. But despite multiple profit warnings and the company’s stock being among the most shorted on the London stock exchange, the government awarded Carillion contracts worth more than a billion pounds over the last six months.

While the company wasn’t bailed out in the manner that the banks were a decade ago, the parallels are obvious. The state was propping up the private sector in the name of upholding free markets.

Far from an outlier, Carillion may be the canary in the privatization gold mine. Shares in Interserve, a comparable services and construction company that has lost 80 percent of its value over the last four years, dropped 14 percent the morning after it emerged ministers, in the wake of Carillion’s collapse, had set up a team to monitor the company. Elsewhere shares in Capita, a firm strikingly similar to Carillion, have lost two-thirds of their value since 2015. The future of these companies, responsible for Britain’s roads, railtracks, hospitals, schools and prisons, looks more precarious than ever.

All of which adds yet another layer to a continuing crisis for Britain’s social and economic model. After Brexit, last year’s surprise general election result, the tragedy of the Grenfell Tower fire and now this, even the status quo’s fiercest defenders view change, of some kind at least, as inevitable.

It can’t come soon enough.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nebakenezzer posted:

Once again this thread has confused me, more than when I found out plugs were sold separately from appliances due to antediluvian ideas about standardization

Why would a university issue "lesser degrees" than a bachelors? I mean in North America you can minor in stuff but that's not a degree

And you can also get college level certifications at universities, but once again, not a degree

So I've never been to uni and a lot of this poo poo is thus weird even to, but it's all related to some 15th or 16th century poo poo because of course.

It's basically how well you did though. So a lower second (Jose's 2:2) means he still has a bachelors, he just scraped by. I think. I dunno, Scottish unis are different from English and Welsh ones. We have 4 years, English do 3 I think.

Nothing is simple.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

it's a way to brand graduates with their shame

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jazerus posted:

it's a way to brand graduates with their shame

Are the British really really big on moral shaming?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You have gpa whatever the gently caress that is

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jose posted:

You have gpa whatever the gently caress that is

Ah hello that's a sorting mechanism so that capitalists can select the best and most servile knowledge workers

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

A 2.2 (and a third) are Bachelor's degrees. It's just the grade you get, with 2.2/3rds being less good than a 2.1/1st.

Technically you can get an ordinary, which is a Bachelor's without honours but they're incredibly rare and poo poo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

this is the same nation that worked out an elaborate letter code for branding onto prisoners to summarize their deficiency of character

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah hello that's a sorting mechanism so that capitalists can select the best and most servile knowledge workers

Now you're getting it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A 2-2 means j got 50-60%

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Nebakenezzer posted:

lol

Nebakenezzer posted:

I found this on the NYT. Tell me britishers, has the NYT hosed up and written something worthwhile?

Tiptoes around the problem never once comes out and says that privatisation of a natural monopoly cannot work at all. garbage article.

Pound_Coin has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Jan 23, 2018

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this is a good article about carillion

http://novaramedia.com/2018/01/15/ink-it-onto-your-knuckles-carillion-is-how-neoliberalism-lives-and-breathes/

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

It can’t come soon enough.

:yossame:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

(Jose's 2:2)

not familiar w this verse you cite

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Squizzle posted:

not familiar w this verse you cite

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

MikeCrotch posted:

How dare you besmirch the noble tradition of the Gentleman's Third, obtained by such luminaries as Jacob Rees-Mogg

haha no way