Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dishwasher posted:

It has! But only in a collection of smaller ones. But its pricey. Its available at all the major and minor places online you would go to read comics. Its worth reading. The Gary Stu even uses a yellow lightsaber, which is hilarious as gently caress now.

thanks found a copy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This had to be the best star wars movie ever.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i havent watched the movie do they throw palpatine down a really deep hole this time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

poty posted:

i havent watched the movie do they throw palpatine down a really deep hole this time

They reflect his force lightning back at him. It's not even clear if that permanently defeated him.:lol:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

poty posted:

no he throws someone else down a hole instead

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

And it was the worst!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tenzarin posted:

Quite literally the greatest film of all time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sigher posted:

Yea, did you see that sith lightning. That poo poo was the bomb.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

weekly font posted:

In the end the last legacy of anakin skywalker is buried in the thing he hates the most: sand.

The Alternate Ending of Return of the Jedi: Luke falls to darkness, kills Palpatine anyway and then takes the Death Star with him to destroy every desert planet he can find because gently caress sand! gently caress sand to death!

Seriously, let's note that Luke's retirement home was a big-rear end rocky cliff surrounded by water with not a spec of sand in sight.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That editing and pacing was even more insane than i could have imagined

I did get people to laugh while yelling hell yeah woo get it during the too short kiss

Also the sheer amount of running around for quest objects was absurd

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

So does anyone finally get naked in this movie or what?

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Overall enjoyed the movie. Was entertained for two plus hours. Cant ask for much more than that. Somethings you have to gloss over and just go with but was a fun movie.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Review is in from my friend that was sharing a bunch of the "don't trust the critics, see the stunning finale yourself!" type memes

"movie lowkey sucked"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This movie finally confirmed Rey is not a Mary Sue, she was trained by Leia. Leia is like the new yoda.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

This movie finally confirmed Rey is not a Mary Sue, she was trained by Leia. Leia is like the new yoda.

If by yoda you mean macabre cgi puppet

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Gasp!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

sigher posted:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

Leia trained her to take out 3 Tie Fighters with one shot too?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

happyhippy posted:

Leia trained her to take out 3 Tie Fighters with one shot too?

It's just how good she was at training. Leia is a hoss!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

SeANMcBAY posted:

They reflect his force lightning back at him. It's not even clear if that permanently defeated him.:lol:

They didn't explain how he survived last time so there's zero reason to think he can't easily come back again. Only next time he has a million star destroyers and even the TIE fighters can blow up planets!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

So what is the magic number this movie needs to hit to
a) make Disney still want to invest in a new trilogy yet
b) not make the same gently caress ups?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Funny how the Episode 2 arena full of nameless drones was a metaphor for sex and the same situation in this one is a metaphor for how needlessly devoid of light and utterly hollowed out the series is now

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hobo Clown posted:

They didn't explain how he survived last time so there's zero reason to think he can't easily come back again. Only next time he has a million star destroyers and even the TIE fighters can blow up planets!

I unironically expect something like this to occur. I mean, they've already told us that Palpatine can clone/grow things and also possess other people (under certain conditions, anyway). So there's really no. And also that Force ghosts can use the Force to affect the physical world. So there's really no reason at all why Palpatine can't possess a clone of himself and get right back to putting together some other plan to conquer the galaxy. Then he will fail to put it into motion in a timely manner to allow the Rebellion/Resistance/Revoltianance? a chance to blow it to gently caress and "kill" him again.

Say what you will about the MCU but at least they have a deep enough character roster that they won't need to bring back Thanos as their ultimate Bad Guy for their next cycle of movies.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

So was matt smith in this and if not what we he going to be?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why was there so little cackling, im very upset by this

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

gohmak posted:

So what is the magic number this movie needs to hit to
a) make Disney still want to invest in a new trilogy yet
b) not make the same gently caress ups?

Nothing really.
They recouped their 4 billion cost from Lucas after the second film.
They just need to make up the costs of the film itself, and thats likely.
Disney will be making GBS threads out 'straight to DVD/Disney+' sequels for the next few years just like every other property they have.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
And star wars has only been improved after its acquisition by Disney.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tenzarin posted:

And star wars has only been improved after its acquisition by Disney.

I don't know if this is serious or mockery, but I think that it's generally true. I'm hoping that with the official end of the "Skywalker Saga" room will open up to tell more stories along the lines of The Mandalorian. Maybe stories set in whatever the chaotic aftermath of TRoS happens to be. I wouldn't mind seeing what happens next for Finn, but I'd also be perfectly cool seeing a grown up version of Stable Kid trying to deal with his weird powers and corrupt rear end in a top hat planetary rulers.

Hell, I'd like to some kind of Star Wars: Leverage set-up with a team of folks dealing with the criminals and petty tyrants that would inevitably start to rise up with the central authorities both good and bad being laid to waste.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Everyone posted:

I don't know if this is serious or mockery, but I think that it's generally true. I'm hoping that with the official end of the "Skywalker Saga" room will open up to tell more stories along the lines of The Mandalorian. Maybe stories set in whatever the chaotic aftermath of TRoS happens to be. I wouldn't mind seeing what happens next for Finn, but I'd also be perfectly cool seeing a grown up version of Stable Kid trying to deal with his weird powers and corrupt rear end in a top hat planetary rulers.

Hell, I'd like to some kind of Star Wars: Leverage set-up with a team of folks dealing with the criminals and petty tyrants that would inevitably start to rise up with the central authorities both good and bad being laid to waste.

I'm pretty sure the entire cast of the film have said this is their last outing. So if Rey, Finn, Poe etc. appear again it'll likely be in a cartoon or video game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ImpAtom posted:

My mystery there was... why didn't someone shoot either Rey or Kylo? Finn was right there. SHOOT KYLO REN.

I legit was thinking the exact same when I was in the theater, lmao.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
No one wants to see Rey get shot!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Onmi posted:

I'm pretty sure the entire cast of the film have said this is their last outing. So if Rey, Finn, Poe etc. appear again it'll likely be in a cartoon or video game.

That really doesn't surprise me giving that this has been the most expensive directorial pissing match in history combined with horrible reactions from people. Doesn't seem to be that much upside for them.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the "its just a kid movie" angle really doesnt work when there is good children media. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is well regarded as one of batman finest movies so yes you can totally do good children media they have to be you know... good.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Funny how 7 was hellbent on proving to the audience that they were in safe hands after the prequels and by 9 they have magnified those movies' shortcomings with none of the charms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INCSBwpJBQk

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Disney did nothing wrong.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Everyone posted:

I don't know if this is serious or mockery, but I think that it's generally true. I'm hoping that with the official end of the "Skywalker Saga" room will open up to tell more stories along the lines of The Mandalorian. Maybe stories set in whatever the chaotic aftermath of TRoS happens to be.

I've been thinking for a while that Star Wars has a lot more potential as live-action TV than it does as movies at the moment.

Like the OT was great because it just whacked military stuff, samurai/magic stuff, underbelly stuff, alien species stuff etc together and the freshness of it just dragged it all together but trying to mash so much together each time does make the movies feel really samey. A TV show can be like 'this is about bounty hunters' and just tell a decent story about bounty hunters, then another show could be 'this is about the spiritual Force stuff' or 'this is a military drama' or 'this is about exploring the unknown regions' or 'this is about a slave uprising' or 'this is about a shipyard' or even 'this is about intergalactic politics'. Just picking a thing and focusing on it feels like it would have a lot more potential than broader scoped movies.

The Mandalorian isn't fantastic or anything but it's better than this.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Star wars should stick to single movies in the same universe IMO. Or they could make a kotor 1 and 2 live action.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

its official the prequels are superior to the sequels. While The Last Jedi still best movie of either trilogy.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

I've been thinking for a while that Star Wars has a lot more potential as live-action TV than it does as movies at the moment.

Like the OT was great because it just whacked military stuff, samurai/magic stuff, underbelly stuff, alien species stuff etc together and the freshness of it just dragged it all together but trying to mash so much together each time does make the movies feel really samey. A TV show can be like 'this is about bounty hunters' and just tell a decent story about bounty hunters, then another show could be 'this is about the spiritual Force stuff' or 'this is a military drama' or 'this is about exploring the unknown regions' or 'this is about a slave uprising' or 'this is about a shipyard' or even 'this is about intergalactic politics'. Just picking a thing and focusing on it feels like it would have a lot more potential than broader scoped movies.

The Mandalorian isn't fantastic or anything but it's better than this.

Yeah that is probably the best way to grow their IP. Better than just having train wreck movies trying to rehash the same thing over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Duckula posted:

The best part about Chewbacca getting a medal is that it's done so unceremoniously that it's laughable. It's a loving Family Guy joke but in a real movie.

Shoulda landed a moon on him.

I think it's in her video about the live action Beauty and the Beast remake that Lindsay Ellis talks about Disney using those films to try to atone for the criticisms of the older ones.

Chewie getting the medal is even worse than that because it takes a jokey complaint about A New Hope and makes it real, like Chewie actually did want a medal that whole time and no one would give him one. The simpler explanation for why he wouldn't want a medal is that he's a wookie and doesn't care about that poo poo. He wears one article of clothing and it's ammunition - we already know where his priorities lie.