Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Kurieg posted:

And what is Tenure in this metaphor?

Archmastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ZearothK posted:

Even vampires without social disciplines can just have a ghoul take care of all that stuff for them. Both VtR and VtM Kindred have the world's most addicting drug in their veins, with the convenient side effect of absolute loyalty from their addicts, so it really isn't hard to get mortals who can take care of their amenities unless a vampire is so bad at their social game that "hey, wanna have some drugs" is too complex a ploy for them.

I thought the "every city is an island" thingie in Requiem was a thematic break from the globe-throtting adventures of VtM's metaplot, reinforced by R1E's Predator's Taint making it very risky to meet new vampires, specially at a volume.

A lot of 1e nWoD's mechanics seem like reactionary breaks against OWoD Stuff. both Vampire and Werewolf have mechanics that are trying to keep you locked into a single place, ghost children are a frankly sadistic overcorrection on the issue of Metis, I'm sure Mage has some stuff in it but I've never read either book too closely.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

A lot of 1e nWoD's mechanics seem like reactionary breaks against OWoD Stuff. both Vampire and Werewolf have mechanics that are trying to keep you locked into a single place, ghost children are a frankly sadistic overcorrection on the issue of Metis, I'm sure Mage has some stuff in it but I've never read either book too closely.
They might have gotten it out of their systems, but it's the most white wolf thing ever to have your next edition yell at your previous edition's playstyle/presentation of playstyle on the forums.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I just hear "Claws go in, blood comes out" in Homer Simpsons voice.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

tell me I'm just looking for tracing now and that isn't drax.

Also what's the stat track by health and willpower? Crinos? Crimes?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Soonmot posted:

tell me I'm just looking for tracing now and that isn't drax.

Also what's the stat track by health and willpower? Crinos? Crimes?

I think it's Crinos, probably the bonus health you gain from the form

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

I think it's Crinos, probably the bonus health you gain from the form

oh that's a cute way to do it

edit: huh no stat changes in the forms just flat bonus/penalty dice

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Spending a willpower point *per turn* or you frenzy sure is a way to nerf the gently caress out of crinos I guess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Spending a willpower point *per turn* or you frenzy sure is a way to nerf the gently caress out of crinos I guess.
Are they just writing out metis werewolves entirely or what? Because spending nine years in a constant state of meltdown, while more and more realistic each day, presents some logistical issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

I just hear "Claws go in, blood comes out" in Homer Simpsons voice.

"Wait! Rage can let you fight many things!"
"'Splain how!"
"Rage can be exchanged for Gifts and actions!"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

Are they just writing out metis werewolves entirely or what? Because spending nine years in a constant state of meltdown, while more and more realistic each day, presents some logistical issues.

Yes Metis are out as far as I know. Pretty sure all of the breeding stuff was tossed out. Which, good. It was weird and gross and the whole Metis thing just sucked.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

"'Splain how!"

:allears:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Not a big fan of Harano and Hauglosk being so relevant to gameplay that you have space on your sheet for Harano Points and Hauglosk Points.

Really not a big fan of the extra Crinos health being tilted at an angle. That's not edgy or cool, that's just ugly.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Whirling posted:

Sure, but what are Mage orders then? Research gangs? An aggressive book club? I jest but also I feel a little lost on what the day-to-day life would be like in a Consilium.

In terms of 'day to day', the way I ran it, most cabals were in some way or other related to the functioning of a given order, at least during their downtime, and in mixed cabals you just reported to whatever your section of it was.

One cabal of NPCs were de-facto Sentinels. One cabal was basically half the Hierarch's Council. The PCs were running a hybrid cryptopoly/labyrinth while also securing a Hallow. There was a Mysterium-dominant cabal that went in hard on the Astral but since that's not exactly a fulltime job that left them plenty of time to just regularly adminster the order as a caucus. A Silver Ladder dominant cabal was super-into trying to build relations with other supernaturals as their thing but that also means they had plenty of time for just adminstering their stuff.

Basically you find out some way to fill in what your Order needs of you while working that into whatever Obsession or Mystery your cabal is doing, and otherwise you do scutwork during downtime. Guardians serving as "team ethics consultant" in a cabal is considered a good gig and it's just the people that don't play well with others that end up having to do the admin.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm a tad bit disappointed if not surprised that Ahrouns are still a thing. I like the idea somebody in this thread I think it was spitballed that since Garou were Gaia's warriors they were ALL technically Ahrouns and the full moon was every Woof's moon and the other phases were the auspices time to shine, so to speak. Did I even seriously think they do it? Not really, but it would have been neat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

"'Splain how!"

"All Rage and No Willpower makes Ahroun something something."
"Go Frenzy?"
"DoN't mInD iF I dO!" *Sounds of literally everything being torn from everything else*

I Am Just a Box posted:

Not a big fan of Harano and Hauglosk being so relevant to gameplay that you have space on your sheet for Harano Points and Hauglosk Points.

Really not a big fan of the extra Crinos health being tilted at an angle. That's not edgy or cool, that's just ugly.
yeah, harano and Hauglosk should be like a sliding scale, it's kind of bizarre that you can accumulate crippling ennui *and* manic drive to action points at the same time.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 10, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

joylessdivision posted:

Yes Metis are out as far as I know. Pretty sure all of the breeding stuff was tossed out. Which, good. It was weird and gross and the whole Metis thing just sucked.
Seems fair, although the Kinfolk angle seemed valuable. But you can keep the "some people are kin, perhaps one kin child in ten is Garou".

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nessus posted:

They're completely retconned out. All the breeding poo poo is, other than the moon phase and that's the phase during your First Change.

Nessus posted:

Seems fair, although the Kinfolk angle seemed valuable. But you can keep the "some people are kin, perhaps one kin child in ten is Garou".

A huge vibe in W5 is Found Family.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/worldofdarkness/status/1667455868189769729

So a book on how to smooch or a book on how to be a nerd.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Easy choice every time

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

They're completely retconned out. All the breeding poo poo is, other than the moon phase and that's the phase during your First Change.

A huge vibe in W5 is Found Family.

I think parentage could be useful for character background and abilities, kinda like being elf vs half-elf in D&D.

I just don't see how they could divorce it from 'THOU MUST BREED' so I guess we'll never see a non-creepy version.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dienes posted:

I think parentage could be useful for character background and abilities, kinda like being elf vs half-elf in D&D.

I just don't see how they could divorce it from 'THOU MUST BREED' so I guess we'll never see a non-creepy version.

Remember, they can always put "some werewolves' parents are humans, some are wolves, some are other werewolves" in a side bar, and it would still be infinitely less eugenics-y than the old version because there aren't any mechanics attached to it. The important part is removing the mechanics and Metis as a term, the rest is basically fine and will probably stay around in some form.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Heart of the Forest even implies it's basically like the Force now and you can just randomly be chosen by Gaia. You pick your Tribe now, too, it's not something you're born into or necessarily passed on by bloodline.

Furry EcoJedi: The Inclusivening

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 10, 2023

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

With how you pick your Tribe I'm really curious to see what they do with the Bone Gnawers (the best Tribe). Since they were the final safety net and punching bag all rolled into one.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kurieg posted:

yeah, harano and Hauglosk should be like a sliding scale, it's kind of bizarre that you can accumulate crippling ennui *and* manic drive to action points at the same time.

Bipolar is a thing. Used to literally be called “manic-depressive disorder.”

I’m not a fan of the breathless 15-year-old-on-an-to-forum writing style. “Wreck poo poo! gently caress you Wyrm! Claws go in, blood comes out. Claws go in, blood comes out. “. What’s next? “Aww! Stupid sexy fomori!”

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/worldofdarkness/status/1667455868189769729

So a book on how to smooch or a book on how to be a nerd.

Gay dark academia? now THATS a profitable online audience

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Heart of the Forest even implies it's basically like the Force now and you can just randomly be chosen by Gaia. You pick your Tribe now, too, it's not something you're born into or necessarily passed on by bloodline.

Furry EcoJedi: The Inclusivening
I recall tribe was always at least somewhat a choice, although people did not really change back and forth very much. But a Silver Fang lost cub could easily become a Bone Gnawer, and the Black Furies yeeted their male cubs (other than Metis) at other tribes, in preference to the ancient Spartan tradition.

Have they said much about what they're doing with the Fangs and Furies?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ok, I need help because all I know about WoD is internet forum poo poo and the only book I have is the V5 core book.

I want to run a Vampires meet Terra Invicta game where the Vampire Illuminati is busily manipulating the world's governments to react to the appearance of alien combat fleets in the solar system. I figure some of the vampires want to join the aliens to turn alien antimatter weaponry against the Antediluvians when they wake up and some of the vampires want to stop the aliens from detecting them and breaking the Masquerade, among others.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Vampire the Masquerade does not have good rules for launching spacecraft to fight the aliens, so we're going to be more focused on the councilor part of the game where the vampires all fight each other to try to ghoul world leaders to take over NASA to launch combat ships.

Any splatbooks or ideas you guys recommend to help with this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ok, I need help because all I know about WoD is internet forum poo poo and the only book I have is the V5 core book.

I want to run a Vampires meet Terra Invicta game where the Vampire Illuminati is busily manipulating the world's governments to react to the appearance of alien combat fleets in the solar system. I figure some of the vampires want to join the aliens to turn alien antimatter weaponry against the Antediluvians when they wake up and some of the vampires want to stop the aliens from detecting them and breaking the Masquerade, among others.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Vampire the Masquerade does not have good rules for launching spacecraft to fight the aliens, so we're going to be more focused on the councilor part of the game where the vampires all fight each other to try to ghoul world leaders to take over NASA to launch combat ships.

Even if your chronicle will not feature the Technocracy, the Technocracy books from Mage may discuss this in more detail. "Void Engineer craft" are probably a reasonable approximation of what might be possible (or might be handwaved as 'prototypes the government made from crashed alien craft.')

You're exploring an exciting new realm well beyond the usual. This might legitimately break up the Camarilla/Sabbat dynamics, just looking at the general outlines of the factions in Terra Invicta. Whatever you decide, you WILL have to decide one key thing:

Does sunlight "count" if you're past Earth's atmosphere?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I would suggest this: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/87937/Mirrors-Infinite-Macabre?term=infinite+mac&test_epoch=0

The 3-part World of Future Darkness is more cyberpunk-y, but may also be helpful.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The one time using the pre 20th oWoD would have been perfect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Soonmot posted:

The one time using the pre 20th oWoD would have been perfect.
Garou BTFO by FACTS and LOGIC: Red Star revealed to be DECELERATION TORCH of INVASION MOTHERSHIP ASTEROID!
local Garou replies: "RRRRAARAGHGHHHHH **rips and tears**"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Get Vampire the Masquerade for gurps, then add on gurps aliens, gurps starships, etc.

Or, better yet, gurps black ops.

Or go pick up a copy of conspiracy x and the extraterrestrials books. I kinda prefer 1e but then you need basically all the splat books. 2e really condenses a lot of the material and loses a lot of the fluff like the player sections of the books being written in-universe.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Unless your game is specifically something on the scale of, like "you are in Houston and your job is to ghoul the director of the Johnson Space Center" I'm gonna suggest that Vampire is probably not actually going to provide you with the kind of rules support you want or need.

I'm not saying you can't do it, just that it's all gonna be on your skill as a GM rather than the rules of Vampire. "Vampires subvert global leaders behind the scenes" is something it's assumed powerful NPCs are busy doing offscreen, not something you do as a player.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think I'll just go with the LA setting in the Mage corebook for the game I'm working on. Save myself some work. How exactly does the Assembly/Consilium divide work there exactly? I understand that mages declare their loyalty for one or the other, but one of the passages says that Los Angeles is famous for having mages of the other four Pentacle orders join it. Does that mean those mages are now Free Council or that they're still technically part of their Orders but consent to having their issues be arbitrated by the Assembly over the local Consilium?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Check out Trinity also by white wolf/onyx path. It has spaceships and aliens and psychic powers and a conspiracy to save the world.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Whirling posted:

I think I'll just go with the LA setting in the Mage corebook for the game I'm working on. Save myself some work. How exactly does the Assembly/Consilium divide work there exactly? I understand that mages declare their loyalty for one or the other, but one of the passages says that Los Angeles is famous for having mages of the other four Pentacle orders join it. Does that mean those mages are now Free Council or that they're still technically part of their Orders but consent to having their issues be arbitrated by the Assembly over the local Consilium?

previous page was pretty much discussing exactly that. look for the posts about mage society being like academia

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Whirling posted:

Does that mean those mages are now Free Council or that they're still technically part of their Orders but consent to having their issues be arbitrated by the Assembly over the local Consilium?

The latter. They're two parallel venues for arbitration, one with more hierarchical supervision, one more like a town hall. The Assemblies convened by the Libertines are officially an initiative for an alternative model of Awakened society not directly bound by Diamond doctrine, so any mages who aren't outright enemies of the Free Council (Seers) are welcome to participate and vote in the Assembly if they're willing to submit to the Assembly's rulings (and pass a probationary period intended to root out bad faith actors just showing up to sabotage a rival structure to the Consilium).

In LA, which is established to have unusually high Diamond support for the Assembly, that probationary period probably isn't nearly as strictly enforced. Build up enough good faith and you can deal with bad actors on a more case by case basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I Am Just a Box posted:

The latter. They're two parallel venues for arbitration, one with more hierarchical supervision, one more like a town hall. The Assemblies convened by the Libertines are officially an initiative for an alternative model of Awakened society not directly bound by Diamond doctrine, so any mages who aren't outright enemies of the Free Council (Seers) are welcome to participate and vote in the Assembly if they're willing to submit to the Assembly's rulings (and pass a probationary period intended to root out bad faith actors just showing up to sabotage a rival structure to the Consilium).

In LA, which is established to have unusually high Diamond support for the Assembly, that probationary period probably isn't nearly as strictly enforced. Build up enough good faith and you can deal with bad actors on a more case by case basis.

Thanks, this helps a lot.