Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They're marginally better than making guitar sounds with your mouth, should you have the strong compulsion to play a guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

creamcorn posted:

i was in a beatles wiki hole a few months ago, despite not actually liking the beatles that much, and lots of the per-song wiki articles go pretty in depth on the theory stuff. i remember the explanation of whatever the hell is going on in taxman being particularly cool

yeah i'm comfortable with enough now to say that like... i think the beatles music is interesting. there's good stuff there-- but the aesthetic qualities and lyrics of most of it do pretty much nothing for me. to me, john lennon especially, sounds like he's really afraid of being earnest. one of my favorite albums is XTC's skylarking album, which is super beatle-y, but it also has this incredibly flowery sensibility, lyrically, and deeper construction/structure. i'm not intensely familiar with every beatles song but i don't know that they have a lyric i like as much as "insect/bomber/bhuddist droning / copper chord of august's organ / please don't heed my shout, i relax in the undertow", or "and just when i thought that my vista was golden in hue, one thousand umbrellas open to spoil the view". there's sort of a missing intimacy/vulnerability to a lot of beatles music, at least to me. and i understand that they were a big pop band, but so were the beach boys when they made pet sounds.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

landgrabber posted:

i saw slowdive last night and they were fantastic. they sounded exactly like you would want them to sound live.

also i kinda want a jazz chorus now lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Beatles definitely liked to write fairly opaque. They've got some funny filthy lyrics in there and some that are deeply sad if you look into them (Hey Jude, Julia, mostly the stuff around their family)

but also for the most part as writers, Paul was just silly and liked catchy melodies, John was deeply political but not quite as clever a writer, George was deeply introspective but largely got steam-rolled during their tenure (but check out his first solo album if you never have, it might bridge the gap you're feeling), and Ringo... was just happy to be there.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
Cross-posted from the new gear thread, in case anyone is interested or curious about my Eastwood experience:

Thanks to the goon who gave me the imgur tip, I (finally) figured it out ...

I finally pulled the trigger on an Eastwood Surfcaster after low-key semi-obsessing over the combination of aesthetics and features on this thing for four years or so, but it has VERY mixed opinions -- either I got a good one, Eastwood sorted poo poo out, or some combination of the two.

It's obviously a Jazzmaster/Danelectro/Rickenbacker mashup, done really well -- made in Korea, chambered mahogany body with a bookmatched flame maple top, cherryburst finish, laminated maple neck with a satin finish, rosewood fretboard with shark inlays, strat-style trem, nice binding and fretwork, and the single-coil lipsticks are out-of-phase, so the middle position turns them into a humbucker -- not sure about the trem, but the tuners are Wilkinson, which I've had good experience with, and the switch and Tele-style knobs seem solid.

I went on a gear purge a while back because I hadn't been able to play due to a shoulder injury, so I also sprung for one of those (in)famous Monoprice 15W amps -- which I gotta say -- I like!

In a few days, once I have time, I'll get the pickguard off to get a better look at the electronics, peel the plastic off, put on my preferred strings, etc. -- but so far, I'm pleased.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

brushwad posted:

It's obviously a Jazzmaster/Danelectro/Rickenbacker mashup, done really well

sorta. they actually started out life as a pointy 80s shredder with lipstick pickups, hence the sharkfin inlays

scott ian played them for a good bit with anthrax in the early 90s

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alCTPGIYK-c

jackson's custom shop will still make you one if you don't mind paying several grand and waiting the better part of a decade

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

charvel made a similar acoustic-electric at the time too

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I got my templates made for some new guitars I'm building heck yeah. Doing a solid body first, and when it's done I'm likely finishing it in solid black with white binding, as a sort of homage to the Gibson I let go.

I'm doing it out of local hardwood because it's cheap and plentiful and I really could not care less about how the wood is gonna go with humbuckers lol

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

syntaxfunction posted:

I got my templates made for some new guitars I'm building heck yeah. Doing a solid body first, and when it's done I'm likely finishing it in solid black with white binding, as a sort of homage to the Gibson I let go.

I'm doing it out of local hardwood because it's cheap and plentiful and I really could not care less about how the wood is gonna go with humbuckers lol

Are you going with Bunnings tas oak? Cos I've been thinking about that myself.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Probably! It's likely I'll make another if the design ends up how I want it with some other wood, but for the first one I figure I'd go cheap honestly.

I do a lot of woodworking for fun and god knows I've done all the work you can on guitars outside of physically carving out my own, so it seems like a no brainer when I'm frankly in desperate need of a project to do in my downtime. Woodwork is always so soothing to me, I like the almost hypnotic motions of sanding and rasping and all that.

Also you have to pay a lot of attention to measurements and numbers when preparing to get all the bits right, so that pleases my autistic rear end.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
it seems there’s a demand in my area for guitar techs. Given that I’ve already taught myself maybe 80% of what I need, I’m taking the plunge and getting all the fretwork tools. Excited to have a not-very-profitable basement guitar repair business

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

it seems there’s a demand in my area for guitar techs. Given that I’ve already taught myself maybe 80% of what I need, I’m taking the plunge and getting all the fretwork tools. Excited to have a not-very-profitable basement guitar repair business

That's rad and you should feel rad for doing it
there's no better feeling than a buddy bringing over a guitar and they're like "yeah I've got some buzzing on the G here" and you have it fixed in like 5 minutes

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

What's your area? I'm aways on the lookout for a good tech.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

What's your area? I'm aways on the lookout for a good tech.

Schoharie county NY

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

there's no better feeling than a buddy bringing over a guitar and they're like "yeah I've got some buzzing on the G here" and you have it fixed in like 5 minutes

For sure, and it also seems like a great way to network with local musicians. The guitarist in the band I was hosting Saturday night was absolutely desperate to find someone local who could do a quick setup once a quarter.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think im going to trade the h150cc for this custom reissue lp special (can you call it an r7 special?). After a few months of watching it and lowballing. no dentist would wall hang this unflamed no maple cap spec so idk what they were even thinking with the original msrp

That changes my ratio from 3 PAF and no P90 guitars to 2 PAF guitars and a P90 guitar...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

This is a great feeling. I bought and flipped a mim strat doubling my money. I just restrung it and polished the frets, plus adjusted the intonation/action/relief.

The guy I sold it to played it and commented on the playability. I told him the work I did on it and let him play a few of my other guitars. He couldn't believe how easy they all played. He loved my jm jm and my telecaster. He ended up buying a jazzmaster a week later and asked me to set it up. It needed some work, mostly a fret level and general setup to fix some flat spots and a buzzing g string. I told him I would do it for cheap as it's a first trial/proof of work. He was more than happy with the result and wants me to work on the rest of his guitars. I'll be replacing the bridge in his jazzmaster as it's not my favorite and rattles. He also bought a hot rod deluxe after playing my setup and we talked amps for a while. He's a nice guy and we chat about guitars, gear and music often. I don't want to have so much side work that it stresses me out or eats up all my free time but it's nice to have extra cash doing something I enjoy.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how do you friendly techs decide where to set other people's relief? do you have a number you already know you like or go by the guitar spec.. or maybe base it on customer? or maybe you don't think there's much of a difference between say 0.008" and 0.014". I guess I do

I find on electrics with a vintage-y radius I seem to like it at about 0.010". which my gauge labels as 'classical guitar'. I guess I disagree.

anyways guitar life got a lot easier after I got my own feeler gauge.

if I have buzzing or something ill straighten that out some other way than changing the relief from 0.010"

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Guitarists rarely know what they want in such specific terms anyway: "Can you get it as low as mechanically possible? Also I want to be able to play unplugged with zero buzz in any position. Yes I do play like I'm punching the guitar, why do you ask?"

I usually have a few of my guitars sat around for people to try and tell me what they like and get an idea of their playing style. Then I do a few final tweaks when they come to collect, just so they've played in front of me and acknowledged they liked it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

That's interesting because like, if you wound your own pickups and assembled everything yourself you could build a really nice boutique "entry level" guitar from Warmoth parts + your own pickups and wiring for like, six or seven hundred bucks.

man what am I doing with my life I could be ghost building guitars for a living

The only way I could get a Firebird body that had Strat contours and jack with a soft V 7.25 neck was to build it myself. I think my total expenditure was like $700ish. It's not an experience to be taken lightly and should only be done if you absolutely, totally cannot find what you want in the open market. I could have done like $500ish if I had a donor guitar for tuners + jack + strap buttons + pots and if I didn't care about which humbuckers I got, but it's exactly what I wanted. Now I have only my lack of skill to blame for how it sounds.

ethanol posted:

how do you friendly techs decide where to set other people's relief?

I've only set my own relief and I've used a rough 1-10 scale of how difficult it is for me to barre a chord without buzzing the high E string. A 1 is "I gotta think and exert and cause RSI to barre", a 10 is "I just move the compound lever joint that is my shoulder X axis, elbow Y axis, wrist Y twist and Z tilt, point my fingers, and think". It's still way, way evolving and it has not yet translated into any actual hard and fast number, but for me it's "3/4ths of whatever Fender's factory radius is".

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2024

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

ethanol posted:

how do you friendly techs decide where to set other people's relief? do you have a number you already know you like or go by the guitar spec.. or maybe base it on customer? or maybe you don't think there's much of a difference between say 0.008" and 0.014". I guess I do

I find on electrics with a vintage-y radius I seem to like it at about 0.010". which my gauge labels as 'classical guitar'. I guess I disagree.

anyways guitar life got a lot easier after I got my own feeler gauge.

if I have buzzing or something ill straighten that out some other way than changing the relief from 0.010"

Assuming the frets are close to level, or have been leveled, I usually start with as perfectly flat of a neck as I can get, measured with a notched straight edge (and tuned strings for accurate tension). I'll double check fret level with a triangle straight gauge. I then add the least amount of upbow that I need to get solid notes from all frets (.1mm to .5mm, or .005-.01in relief) is generally what I've found most targets to be but it depends on a few variables like scale, nut slot depth, string tension etc. For a specific guitar, once I find it I'll take measurements and record it with the current gauge strings they have on so we can repeat or fine tune if needed.

My mim tele was a bastard. I bought it thinking it was just a truss rod adjustment and intonation to fix a buzzing g string but it was a bad fret job from fender. There were a few sprouting frets high up the neck. I drove them back in and leveled, and that fixed it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

darkwasthenight posted:

Guitarists rarely know what they want in such specific terms anyway: "Can you get it as low as mechanically possible? Also I want to be able to play unplugged with zero buzz in any position. Yes I do play like I'm punching the guitar, why do you ask?"

I usually have a few of my guitars sat around for people to try and tell me what they like and get an idea of their playing style. Then I do a few final tweaks when they come to collect, just so they've played in front of me and acknowledged they liked it.

factory low never done me wrong

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

i would say successfully playing a song is a better feeling

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

20 Blunts posted:

Haha, yeah fair I guess, though I guess that depends on whether you want to be a tech that plays or a player that... techs...

In any case no one should be the player that can't change their own strings or be afraid of a truss rod, but I guess not everyone can or should be doing their own fret leveling
I think a certain mind just finds that sort of work quite soothing, and it's always liberating to be able to say "I can fix that" rather than "oh gently caress how much is this gonna cost me to get fixed"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

20 Blunts posted:

yeah take that guy who feels good about helping friend down a peg

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not gonna doxx myself to list off my bona fides in the field either but I consider myself pretty drat fulfilled as a hobbyist musician. I've had my music in indie films, gotten to compose for a short film, had my music in an Indie game that moved 300k units and on the McElroy's podcasts, been honored by a niche historical society for a song I wrote about a figure from the depression, and got my name in the Child ballad database

Everything but fame and fortune (and no one gets those anymore, not unless someone else wants you to have it)
but really all an independent artist could ask for, and all of that felt and still feels really good

but I will unapologetically stand by helping my buddy who just bought a cheap-rear end guitar be able to play that guitar, or helping to set up my brother's guitars because he's one of those immensely talented guitarists who prefers to play rather than do the fiddly bits, as some of the happier, purer memories I have in relation to the hobby

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

theyre both good imo. i wrote a song last couple days and god drat that feels good. having a guitar that doesn't short when you switch the pickup is also great feeling though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Small practice question - is there any way of adding count-ins or even small breaks to Spotify? It's annoying when the guitar comes right in and you're halfway through a bar between pressing play and fingering your first chord.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

put napalm death's you suffer before every song

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Southern Cassowary posted:

put napalm death's you suffer before every song

Okay, but why?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
You Suffer is a convenient four second spacer on your playlist.

ND jokes aside there isn't really a way to do it apart from using something like a Bluetooth footswitch to trigger play hands-free.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

darkwasthenight posted:

You Suffer is a convenient four second spacer on your playlist.

this

honestly though i usually just start playing on the second bar

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Disco Pope posted:

Small practice question - is there any way of adding count-ins or even small breaks to Spotify? It's annoying when the guitar comes right in and you're halfway through a bar between pressing play and fingering your first chord.

Aside from the you suffer breaks, you can use this as practice for how to join in a song midway through a section. It's an important skill for when you gently caress up while playing as you'll have to figure out where's a good time to come in

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I've been playing No Children recently as a relatively easy strummer to try to learn singing and playing with, and the idea of You Suffer leading into that is really funny but surprisingly apt.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've found singular click sound effects... so you could just drop this in your playlist 4 times ahead of your tracks. Not perfect but it will get you a count-in
https://open.spotify.com/track/6G8hy1nAUN93GdIS3lzGm8?si=6f0ff8ef5f2a47a2

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Disco Pope posted:

Okay, but why?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been actually making myself practice with a metronome finally. In some ways, I've gotten better, in other ways, my issues seem more obvious now. To warm up, I'll just kind of play whatever basic stuff, straight 1/4s, mix in some 1/8ths, then when I'm frisky I'll try triplets and 1/16ths. While I'm not always perfect, my brain grasps this at least. No issues I think, other than keep it up. I'm also working on my sweeping with a click, the guy I was taking lessons from just said to do it to 1/8th notes while I'm practicing slower, then as I get faster half it and start doing 1/16ths. That was a little tough, but I'm kind of doing it and I can tell when I'm rushing because I get to the end of my pattern before the 2nd click(just how it works out with the number of notes in my arpeggio).

Now, for the big problem I had last night. I've been slowly working on the solo to The Hive, and decided to start doing it to a click too. I basically sat on the first 2 bars for like 45 minutes last night, it was difficult(I think I was doing it at about 60% speed). I'll post the notation -
'

As you can see, in the first bar, there's a half note that starts on an upbeat and ends on an upbeat. Then the last note lands on the very last "and" of the bar. The next bar starts with 16th triplet and an 1/8th note(this part is actually really easy to play imo), then you have some similar shenanigans with notes starting and ending between beats. I kept losing myself when I tried to play it, I'd get mixed up and forget if I was hearing click 3 or click 4. I was doing my best to tap my foot to each beat and letting my brain focus on putting the notes where they go. I'm not sure if that's the best way. Should I be counting 1 2 3 4 out loud? Or should I be counting the exact rhythm the guitar is doing? Does it matter as long as I just keep doing my best to play to the click?

Also I would like some context. How does a more experienced musician going about this? Let's assume you have the song, minus solo and you want to record it. Do you sit there and go through it bar by bar memorizing the rhythms? Or once you have more experience do you just kind of parrot it easily to time? I think the biggest issue I'm still facing is my brain has a hard time listening to multiple things at once. For instance I practiced my sweeps last night at a faster tempo, and I was trying to listen to how well each note lined up with the click by watching my video, but I was having a hard time even telling. I was either listening to the click, or the notes, and having a hard time hearing the overall picture, if that makes sense. Will that ability get better as I keep practicing?

I'll take any tips anyone wants to give. I'm tired of not being able to do this kind of stuff, so I'm sticking with it this time. I'm paranoid I'm going to wind up just not "getting it" though and it'll turn out I bought all these guitars for nothing. The current guy I'm paying for lessons has sadly not been that helpful. If any of you fancy yourselfs decent teachers hit me up, I'll gladly pay for help with this.

Next time I video I'll post some videos as well.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 21, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

darkwasthenight posted:

ND jokes aside there isn't really a way to do it apart from using something like a Bluetooth footswitch to trigger play hands-free.

Yeah. I got a 12 buck USB footswitch that just acts like a one-key keyboard. Bet you could bind it to either space or the play/pause button pretty easily

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've been actually making myself practice with a metronome finally. In some ways, I've gotten better, in other ways, my issues seem more obvious now. To warm up, I'll just kind of play whatever basic stuff, straight 1/4s, mix in some 1/8ths, then when I'm frisky I'll try triplets and 1/16ths. While I'm not always perfect, my brain grasps this at least. No issues I think, other than keep it up. I'm also working on my sweeping with a click, the guy I was taking lessons from just said to do it to 1/8th notes while I'm practicing slower, then as I get faster half it and start doing 1/16ths. That was a little tough, but I'm kind of doing it and I can tell when I'm rushing because I get to the end of my pattern before the 2nd click(just how it works out with the number of notes in my arpeggio).

Now, for the big problem I had last night. I've been slowly working on the solo to The Hive, and decided to start doing it to a click too. I basically sat on the first 2 bars for like 45 minutes last night, it was difficult(I think I was doing it at about 60% speed). I'll post the notation -
'

As you can see, in the first bar, there's a half note that starts on an upbeat and ends on an upbeat. Then the last note lands on the very last "and" of the bar. The next bar starts with 16th triplet and an 1/8th note(this part is actually really easy to play imo), then you have some similar shenanigans with notes starting and ending between beats. I kept losing myself when I tried to play it, I'd get mixed up and forget if I was hearing click 3 or click 4. I was doing my best to tap my foot to each beat and letting my brain focus on putting the notes where they go. I'm not sure if that's the best way. Should I be counting 1 2 3 4 out loud? Or should I be counting the exact rhythm the guitar is doing? Does it matter as long as I just keep doing my best to play to the click?

Also I would like some context. How does a more experienced musician going about this? Let's assume you have the song, minus solo and you want to record it. Do you sit there and go through it bar by bar memorizing the rhythms? Or once you have more experience do you just kind of parrot it easily to time? I think the biggest issue I'm still facing is my brain has a hard time listening to multiple things at once. For instance I practiced my sweeps last night at a faster tempo, and I was trying to listen to how well each note lined up with the click by watching my video, but I was having a hard time even telling. I was either listening to the click, or the notes, and having a hard time hearing the overall picture, if that makes sense. Will that ability get better as I keep practicing?

I'll take any tips anyone wants to give. I'm tired of not being able to do this kind of stuff, so I'm sticking with it this time. I'm paranoid I'm going to wind up just not "getting it" though and it'll turn out I bought all these guitars for nothing. The current guy I'm paying for lessons has sadly not been that helpful. If any of you fancy yourselfs decent teachers hit me up, I'll gladly pay for help with this.

Next time I video I'll post some videos as well.

Playing to a metronome is definitely a skill all by itself. It's awkward and takes up a lot of your focus. You'll get better as you keep at it.

I'm not a real musician or anything, but when I was learning music in school we would always put the instrument down and clap the notes, usually also saying the notes at the same time. So practicing just the first measure of your example I'd clap and also say "1, 2 and, ..., ... and; 1, 2 and, ..., ... and; 1, etc." You can kinda whisper the unplayed counts, too, if it helps. If you're comfortable with it (I'm not), you can try singing, which can help with note duration. Then, we'd pick up the instrument and play just a single pitch with the rhythm. Then finally try playing it properly with pitches. The focus is on getting a feel for the rhythm all by itself, without getting caught up on all the other details. Try to really get it feeling good and smooth before you move up to the next step (but, don't get stuck waiting for perfect, either). When I'm doing this exercise I do it one bar at a time, maybe two, over and over again, then start connecting the pieces I practiced together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So I practiced at those 2 bars some more, in many ways. I tried just playing to the click. I tried counting to 4 while playing it. I even put the guitar down and tapped one hand to the metronome and the other hand to the guitar(which I think is pretty much similar to your example above?). It was all really hard, but I think I got a little better at it. At the end I pulled up the guitar pro file, muted the solo and decided to just kind of play half to the metronome and half "feeling it out" because I haven't practiced a whole lot of the last of the 2nd bar yet. I think I did pretty decent?

Here's 2 takes of those 2 bars(technically 2 1/4 bars since I let the last note ring a bit since it ties across into the 3rd bar which gave me an awkward start when it repeated for the 2nd time). E: I definitely rushed the triplet part a bit, but I think it was close. Better than I would have done before the practice. Before I pretty much had to have the track playing to match to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPMujxi6C4

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 22, 2024