Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Actually, this has the feel of something that will get liberals excited to donate to doomed challengers in blood-red districts. You can’t turn a fascist against fascism. My guess is that Mission Democracy is a liberal outfit looking to cash in on all those people donating impotent rage money to Mitch McConnell’s (equally fascist) challenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I AM GRANDO posted:

This feels like it was run past the lawyer’s office a few too many times. “Maga republican fascism”? Why not try to be pithy, confrontational, or memorable in any way? It reminds me of the ads the mormons would run on Saturday mornings when I was a kid.

Maybe. On the other hand, you won't get very far trying to buy TV time for a message of "<specific politicians, like most GOP candidates> are literally Nazis"

Even if it's true.

Which it is.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
It's not like anyone doesn't know who they're talking about

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

BiggerBoat posted:

Don't commit crimes = never harassed by cops or get a ticket.
They seem to be getting much more flexible about doing crimes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/BridgetPhetasy/status/1705638211001704891?t=IfkOZVng0eOezOStT5KAkA&s=19

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
regressive men : why dont women want to date me?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

I have been unable to find a source, but someone upthread/elsewhere in D&D mentioned articles detailing that even MAGA women avoid MAGA men on dating apps.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does “woman problem” in this context mean that women are the problem?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PhazonLink posted:

E: right before vacation I mentioned doing poo poo like cooking and changing diapers during break and one of my older coworkers started giving me poo poo for doing that. Honey my wife carried twins at five nothing 100lbs soaking wet, this poo poo is the easy part. But you know women’s work etc etc

Shocking no one, dude has two ex wives, grown kids who don’t talk to him, and asks advice why no one matches him on tinder.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Anything and everything that gets people to vote freaks out conservatives pretty bad huh?
https://twitter.com/FDRLST/status/1706362931380621394?t=nG_cjJaDpnVyieH3JiIYIQ&s=19

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Panfilo posted:

Anything and everything that gets people to vote freaks out conservatives pretty bad huh?
https://twitter.com/FDRLST/status/1706362931380621394?t=nG_cjJaDpnVyieH3JiIYIQ&s=19

Girl's been around (and immensely popular) since the mid-aughts, what are they even talking about?

Also, if "audiences" decided Taylor's music is good, what good is the involvement of the (((elite tastemakers)))?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They don’t like her because she encourages younger people to vote and has also been an ally to LGBTQ people

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Also she forcibly broke with their "Aryan folk lifestyle goddess" image they projected on her.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Also because in general she's a woman.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Fuckers on the right have been making GBS threads all over pop culture for as long as both of these things have existed. Gotta say I really enjoy the "elite taskmasters" thing, totally not dogwhistling about anything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t there some speculation her father was a fascist or sympathetic to far-right causes? Was that just wishful thinking from the people photoshopping her into cornfields and prairie log cabins?

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

BiggerBoat posted:

They seem to just decide ahead of time what they like or think about anything and then work backwards to justify why they're right to do so. And any thread of consistency is virtually non-existent.
It's also partly a consequence of "big tent" politics where a party claims to stand for the views of whatever voter it's trying to win over.

So for example you can find Republicans who boast "we are the party of Lincoln, Democrats are the party of slavery" while others boast that "we gotta defend our Confederate heritage from white-hating Democrats." In order to reconcile both groups of conservatives, I've seen the following trotted out: "we gotta keep those Confederate monuments up because Democrats are trying to hide their own racist past by taking them down."

That being said, the go-to Republican argument seemed to be "argh how else will people remember history if there's no commemorative monuments." Not only does this keep those two aforementioned conservative voters happy, but also appears superficially "reasonable"/"moderate" to people who don't think about it for more than two seconds.

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 26, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Enver Zogha posted:

It's also partly a consequence of "big tent" politics where a party claims to stand for the views of whatever voter it's trying to win over.

So for example you can find Republicans who boast "we are the party of Lincoln, Democrats are the party of slavery" while others boast that "we gotta defend our Confederate heritage from white-hating Democrats." In order to reconcile both groups of conservatives, I've seen the following trotted out: "we gotta keep those Confederate monuments up because Democrats are trying to hide their own racist past by taking them down."

one small quibble- it's often not others, it's the same-rear end people changing their stance as needed because dems must be the bad guys but also heritage not hate but also party of lincoln but also the confederacy was good but also the war wasn't even about slavery but also dems did slavery anyway but also also also :umberto:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Other Swift thoughts:

- Chuds were really into her some years back because she was the pretty white counterpart to Beyonce (and black/hiphop performers in general), so much so that they built her up into their ideal Aryan waifu-princess.
- The fact that Swift is almost 34 years old, is unmarried, doesn't have kids, shows no signs of settling down, and picks and chooses her boyfriends (and then dumps then), all while singing songs about not settling for crappy dudes, and has parlayed that into becoming the biggest media sensation in America (and possibly the world), really rustles the jimmies of "traditional family values" types.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

one small quibble- it's often not others, it's the same-rear end people changing their stance as needed because dems must be the bad guys but also heritage not hate but also party of lincoln but also the confederacy was good but also the war wasn't even about slavery but also dems did slavery anyway but also also also :umberto:
Yeah that's definitely a thing, but I've also come across Republicans from New England and other northern states who have zero interest in defending the Confederacy, instead proudly pointing to ancestors who fought for the Union and/or having families who have voted GOP since the 19th century.

Their conception of history is still often very much distorted of course, like claiming John Brown was a conservative because he was an ardent Christian, and acting as if Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt had politics identical to those of Reagan and Trump.

(Speaking of Theodore Roosevelt, there's a funny process whereby both he and Andrew Jackson get lots of conservatives lionizing them because of the notion they were "badasses." So you end up with amusing situations such as Dinesh D'Souza being like "conservatives must always remember Jackson was a founder of the Democratic Party, ergo he was a terrible man because Democrats = far-left haters of freedom" while other conservatives are like "OH GOD TRUMP IS LIKE JACKSON AND/OR ROOSEVELT, SO MANLY RNNNNNNGGGHHH" while ignoring Roosevelt's avowedly "progressive" domestic policies that conservatives in any other context would denounce.)

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 26, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
How long have conservatives been parroting this "fall of Rome" rhetoric I've seen on Twitter a lot lately?

Also, when it comes to a lot of issues they mainly seem to try to just counter leftist talking points instead of actually coming up with solutions or plans of their own. This is smart because it seeks to discredit their critics while not risking promises they can't possibly follow through on. Simple examples:

War in Ukraine: Suddenly conservatives are the ardent anti war party here? Of course it's very low risk to do so at this point-the US doesn't have boots on the ground thus rescinding any support for Ukraine doesn't put any American lives at risk (unlike in, say, Iraq where any criticism of the conflict at the time would get concern trolling that opposition of support puts our boys in greater danger).

Racism: As mentioned, projecting racism on to their opponents by creating a dynamic where any mention of race disparities is itself racist. Circular logic!

Climate change: Don't you know how wasteful wind power really is? And mining lithium is incredibly toxic to the environment! Why aren't the granola types opposing that? And if you're not living in some yurt in the middle of nowhere then you yourself are part of the problem and a huge hypocrite! Also I'm the only one that supports nuclear power as a practical solution unless I'm actually cornered on following up on the policy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Panfilo posted:

How long have conservatives been parroting this "fall of Rome" rhetoric I've seen on Twitter a lot lately?

It was a big thing with those "Dark Enlightenment" dorks back years ago.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I heard conservatives harping about it in college 20 years ago. It's always been a thing; Rome's far off enough in antiquity that they claim they are inheritors of the western tradition, following in the steps of the Roman empire (just not the immigration laws, the relaxed sexual mores, etc.)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Fall Of Rome decadence whining is always so funny because the chuds get it exactly backwards. Rome was at the peak of its power during the buttfucking degenerate orgy days, it was only once Christianity was adopted and all the fun got wound down that the empire started to disintegrate and eventually collapse*. Which seems to have a pretty obvious moral lesson for us all.

* In the west. The eastern (Byzantine) empire kept trucking for another thousand years.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Here's Dim Tool's take on the matter:
https://twitter.com/Timcast/status/1706676737604473207?t=Gm5ExK9plNWWeLzC1U4XWQ&s=19

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Xand_Man posted:

I heard conservatives harping about it in college 20 years ago. It's always been a thing; Rome's far off enough in antiquity that they claim they are inheritors of the western tradition, following in the steps of the Roman empire (just not the immigration laws, the relaxed sexual mores, etc.)

Well because the things I don't like is why the Empire fell, you see.

Anyway, doesn't take many MAGA bots in St Petersburg to start a trend on today's Twitter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Attributing the fall of rome to weakness and decadence was popular in the decades before World War II as well. It’s kind of an evergreen subject with the right.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I AM GRANDO posted:

Attributing the fall of rome to weakness and decadence was popular in the decades before World War II as well. It’s kind of an evergreen subject with the right.

Yeah pretty much everyone's guilty of it. It's always stupid because:

FMguru posted:

* In the west. The eastern (Byzantine) empire kept trucking for another thousand years.

Every moral lesson a lay-historian ascribes to Rome is something they did for at least a hundred years without visible issue.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

McGlockenshire posted:

Fuckers on the right have been making GBS threads all over pop culture for as long as both of these things have existed. Gotta say I really enjoy the "elite taskmasters" thing, totally not dogwhistling about anything.

100%.

This type of poo poo goes all the way back to Elvis' hips, to the Beatles' long hair, the Stones' debauchery, punk, KISS, Prince, Madonna, rap music, etc. etc. If it's popular and not about Jesus or war, they think it's dragging down society and warping kids minds.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's also popular for them to blame immigration.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess this one's timely just in case anyone hasn't already watched it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCCx4wj79o

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Enver Zogha posted:

"we are the party of Lincoln, Democrats are the party of slavery"
This is one of those things that is so dumb that I have a hard time believing anyone actually believes it.

There used to be a bunch of bad-but-at-least-logical rationalizations of why Republican policies were actually better for minorities, now it's just this low-effort deflection pretending the past 50 years, especially the past 5 years, didn't happen, and desperate whining about how Democrats are the real racists for not respecting the decision of black Trump voters.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

Ah yes, all these women thought their husbands were automatons with no thoughts whatsoever, totally not a thing they think of women all the time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The recent Rome stuff might be because some tiktokker made either a joke or a absolutely serious statement that men think about Rome several times a min.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

100%.

This type of poo poo goes all the way back to Elvis' hips, to the Beatles' long hair, the Stones' debauchery, punk, KISS, Prince, Madonna, rap music, etc. etc. If it's popular and not about Jesus or war, they think it's dragging down society and warping kids minds.

Even further than that, from what I've read some people raised a stink about jazz back when that was new as well. The old generation complaining about the current one has pretty much been a thing since forever

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 27, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, there are ancient Greek stone tablets about how the younger generation is ruining everything. It's not a new phenomenon.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
After Trump was found liable for financial fraud today, I went to Fox News several times to see how they were going to spin it

but it was still 100% Hunter Biden every time I checked in

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

This is one of those things that is so dumb that I have a hard time believing anyone actually believes it.

There used to be a bunch of bad-but-at-least-logical rationalizations of why Republican policies were actually better for minorities, now it's just this low-effort deflection pretending the past 50 years, especially the past 5 years, didn't happen, and desperate whining about how Democrats are the real racists for not respecting the decision of black Trump voters.

This is a thing my 92 year old grandmother thinks. Caveat: she binge watches fox all day long. So effectively no one believes it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

predicto posted:

After Trump was found liable for financial fraud today, I went to Fox News several times to see how they were going to spin it

but it was still 100% Hunter Biden every time I checked in

They've come around to some talking points now that Trump has been mouth-farting about it on his lovely not-bird site. The most coherent-ish ragepost he was able to make, and the one that Fox has decided to run with, is about it being a RIGGED AND STOLLEN TRIAL because the judge said Mar-a-lago isn't worth the almost-a-billion dollars he says it is. This is of course sign of judicial over reach, a sham trial, deep state actors, antifa shenanigans, a biased judge, the Biden crime family and whatever other target his decaying, narcissistic mushbrain settled on for the preceding three seconds and not a factual finding of evidence based on the paperwork he himself filed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bird food bathtub posted:

They've come around to some talking points now that Trump has been mouth-farting about it on his lovely not-bird site. The most coherent-ish ragepost he was able to make, and the one that Fox has decided to run with, is about it being a RIGGED AND STOLLEN TRIAL because the judge said Mar-a-lago isn't worth the almost-a-billion dollars he says it is. This is of course sign of judicial over reach, a sham trial, deep state actors, antifa shenanigans, a biased judge, the Biden crime family and whatever other target his decaying, narcissistic mushbrain settled on for the preceding three seconds and not a factual finding of evidence based on the paperwork he himself filed.

I will never, NEVER understand how a complete mushbrain like Trump was a United States president and is still the front runner of his party. It's just unreal to me how fundamentally unserious we are as a people to have gotten to this point. The man is self aggrandizing and never stops talking nonsense. Like no-hyperbole, actual nonsense that a normal human being wouldn't listen to in a normal setting. The fact there's a non-zero amount of people that look at Trump and think "Yes, this is a serious, manly man who is fighting for my future" is silly; the fact that the number is actually so high is honestly frightening to me.