Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Time to post my food crime!

I cook instant ramen in boiling water, drain all the water, then mix in the powder. Then I add sweet and sour or plum sauce, mix it in, and bon appetit.

I've been eating instant ramen that way for over 15 years. My husband hates it.
The Samyang Buldak X2 Spicy Chicken ramen has that as the instructions: cook, drain MOST of the water, add the hellfire oil and stir fry it a bit. Low water instant ramen is fine, but it's nothing like a ramen shop where the noodles are cooked separate and have broth and toppings added later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mx. posted:

AITB for refusing to apologize to someone for name calling?

The fact that this person is convinced that the call-center employee they're talking to is somehow behind all this makes me think that they aren't the savviest. Like maybe they aren't clear on what exactly co-signing a loan means or something like that.

Feel free to insult the person who chose to take a job harassing poor people. But maybe also get to the bottom of how your name came up?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The fact that this person is convinced that the call-center employee they're talking to is somehow behind all this makes me think that they aren't the savviest. Like maybe they aren't clear on what exactly co-signing a loan means or something like that.

Feel free to insult the person who chose to take a job harassing poor people. But maybe also get to the bottom of how your name came up?

Yes this happened to a family friend. Mom cosigned for her piece of poo poo daughter's fancy new car. When daughter decided to drop out and stop paying all her debts mom was absolutely shocked at the unfairness that this debt came back to her. She HAD to sign the thing to get her daughter the car she wanted, there was no other choice so it wasn't fair for consequences to happen.

Also the reason the daughter stopped paying the car loan was because her dad (divorced) was paying her college and entire life so long as she stayed in school and stayed clean-ish. After a DUI he cut her off so she dropped out. He didn't co-sign for the loan because he knew better. The reason they divorced was because the mom was very much like the daughter.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I mean fair we've been together 20 years so maybe I just don't remember what it's like to not be in that position anymore

Lol I had a similar reaction as you to that post but also I’ve been with my partner for almost 9 1/2 years now so same. But also if someone’s in a long-term committed relationship and can’t trust their partner that much then a) they’re gonna have to figure that trust out at some point along the way anyways and b) if they either can’t trust the person because they act untrustworthy or they can’t get past their own hang ups, then everyone’s probably better off out of the relationship cause what’s the point?

the holy poopacy posted:

Just keep boiling until the water is reduced to a thick sauce coating the noodles.

The most recent Matty Matheson video is him making peanut butter instant ramen and tbh it looks pretty fuckin good

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 2, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's a near universal experience with neurodivergent people that at some points, neurotypical people take some action, tic or stim of yours to be obviously a deliberate and calculated insult specifically at them, regardless of circumstances, and will immediately attack you through any means available to them, including physical, considering themselves entirely in the right to demand satisfaction and contrition for you making the wrong twitch, wrong step or wrong noise. This can happen in any circumstance and at any age.

Don't forget, "you done/said something wrong but we will never tell you what you did wrong but we will certainly make sure to go out of our way to hurt you".

I'm in my mid 50s now and I still have the occasional flashback over people doing that to me as a kid right up til my late teens.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They say it's American Express, and I don't think we're quite the debtors prison colony yet that you can be thrown in jail for not making a payment even on a cosigned account. Kinda makes me wonder if they were going to be asked to make payment in iTune gift cards.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

deety posted:

AITA for canceling our anniversary trip because my husband drowned my terrarium?

In the comments, OP explains that she's never had to open the terrarium the entire time she and her husband have been together. He knows the story behind it and should have known it wouldn't need attention while she was away.

Maybe I've been reading this thread for too long, but his defensive reaction + "all you do is look at it anyway" makes me think he hosed it up on purpose.

Yep, that's how controlling/abusive partners work.

You have something that's important to you but it doesn't revolve around me?

That's not allowed.

It must either be changed somehow to be about me, or be destroyed.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

More food!

AITA for getting my feelings hurt when my wife didn’t want to buy me a sandwich?
...Unfortunately, she’s definitely expecting me to be able to speak to her about my emotions and core beliefs about why I got upset at some point today. So somehow this has become a whole thing. Which kind of sucks...

Of course, it's completely unreasonable to be upset when someone cancels plans on you for entirely selfish reasons. Let's examine how wrong you are to be upset by my actions and make sure you don't complain any more going forward.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

snergle posted:

^ im not chicken tendies and mac n cheese bad but i have issues with certain textures and tastes mostly textures so i steer clear of some vegetables like peas and people will make poo poo with peas in it then when i show up with a burg they will mumble some poo poo but noones ever stopped me

What always confuses me about these kinds of stories is, how hard is it to remember you don't like peas and make a meal that doesn't include them?* My brother in law doesn't like some vegetables, so I asked him for a list and if I'm not sure I doublecheck with him/my husband if he'll eat something. This is just part of meal planning, it doesn't inconvenience me in the slightest.

*Apparently really hard, because the amount of bell peppers that I have eaten when visiting my mother is staggering. Either she eats them in every meal or she has somehow convinced herself that I actually love them. Considering that last year she asked me what I though about salmon as a Christmas dinner when I've refused to eat fish since forever, I suspect the latter.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Mx. posted:

clearly you've never seen me make fun of someone for not eating an egg. it's terrifying

Let’s never have a meal together, for I do not eat an egg.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ReelBigLizard posted:

Of course, it's completely unreasonable to be upset when someone cancels plans on you for entirely selfish reasons. Let's examine how wrong you are to be upset by my actions and make sure you don't complain any more going forward.

Don't you understand that things that are special for me are for me only and nobody else can have anything special too?

Wife could be from one of those godawful share-everything families and be reacting against it of course, but in that case she's the one who needs some deep introspection...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cloacamazing! posted:

What always confuses me about these kinds of stories is, how hard is it to remember you don't like peas and make a meal that doesn't include them?* My brother in law doesn't like some vegetables, so I asked him for a list and if I'm not sure I doublecheck with him/my husband if he'll eat something. This is just part of meal planning, it doesn't inconvenience me in the slightest.

*Apparently really hard, because the amount of bell peppers that I have eaten when visiting my mother is staggering. Either she eats them in every meal or she has somehow convinced herself that I actually love them. Considering that last year she asked me what I though about salmon as a Christmas dinner when I've refused to eat fish since forever, I suspect the latter.

Because that requires believing that other people who aren't you can or should have preferences and needs that matter. You're supposed to like what they tell you that you like.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Cloacamazing! posted:

I’m mostly vegetarian, and I’m intolerant to egg yolk, avocado and banana. Not anaphylaxis allergic, but I’ll have a bad time for five or six hours. I get that that’s a lot of considerations and I’m a bit of a food weird, but despite the intolerances being a thing for 25+ years (and I have never been a red meat enjoyer, right from when I was a baby), my mum and sister cannot ever seem to remember this.
We made you a special vege meal! It’s heaps of guacamole on nachos! With bananas and homemade custard for dessert!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

liquidypoo posted:

AITA for giving someone an honest opinion of their art?

But I wanna draw my big titty animes :qq:

I don't know who I'd find the more insufferable:

The guy who draws big titty animes and claims that he is "practicing his art".
or
The guy who looks at said big titty animes and critiques it like it was the Mona Lisa

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cloacamazing! posted:

I think for some people, it's almost like it flips in their brain - they note that X ingredient/food is special for you, either in that you need it or don't, and then get mixed up which it was.

I had a conversation with my aging Mom where I told her I hated cheesecake, which she had never known, and then the next few times I came over they served me exclusively cheesecake. I asked her wtf was going on and it turned out that her brain heard that I had a special rule for cheesecake but forgot what the rule was. Oh it must be their favorite!! We worked it out but it was funny lol.

Ofc, some people are just dicks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

or
The guy who looks at said big titty animes and critiques it like it was the Mona Lisa

yeah those aren't even close to being comparable and you're telling on yourself here

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my SIL/best friend that she overshadowed my wedding?

quote:

Burner account. I(29F) am married to "Nate"(29M) and his sister his "Denise"(29F) we are all childhood friends and I married Nate almost a year ago. Denise, at the time was 7 months pregnant with her first child, her husband is "Wayne"(30M). Not too long after our reception started, Denise went into preterm labor. Her pregnancy up until that point was not high risk so this was completely out of nowhere and stunned all of us. She understandably had to leave with Wayne to the hospital and most of their side of the family left out of concern. She insisted we stay and have fun and lord knows Nate and I tried but knowing that she was in unexpected, high risk labor was at the forefront of our minds and we made the difficult decision to end the reception about an hour and a half early and joined up at the hospital.

My nephew "Ben" was born that night and we were all excited but I'll admit Nate and I felt a bit miffed that our wedding day was kind of stolen by this event. We kept this to ourselves though, as this was obviously unplanned and it's cruel to put that on Denise and Wayne. But, from that point on nobody ever talked about our marriage, just baby Ben. The times I think a relative mentioned our wedding can be counted on one hand. I get it, new additions to the family are ultimately more important but my wedding day will never just be about my wedding, it'll be about Ben, and whenever he comes up or I see him I feel bitter because I'm reminded of what happened at the wedding. Yes, I know I'm jealous of a baby. I feel like poo poo for it. Nate was like this too for a while but grew out of it, I'm still working on it.

Ben is turning 1 in 2 weeks and that's all everyone's talking about, not a peep about our anniversary. I already know I'll just be depressed and mopey the whole time so I asked if Nate could politely tell him I would not be there. He did and Denise was pretty upset and demanded to know why, he refused, so she confronted me via text. She told me that she's picked up on how I seem sad whenever Ben is mentioned and said I'm hurting her that I can't tell her why. I decided to be honest and tell her that I've been very depressed(not just for this issue, but it's contributing) and that I felt that my wedding was overshadowed by her unexpected labor. I did tell her I'm not mad at anyone because it was unplanned, I just need to not be reminded of it on my anniversary. She did not respond and just blocked me, but Wayne uninvited Nate and told him to keep him and I far away from his family. Nate's confused and I feel like poo poo. AITA?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lady I barely remember my own anniversary.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Mx. posted:

Ben is turning 1 in 2 weeks and that's all everyone's talking about, not a peep about our anniversary.

This will always baffle me. The thread has previously insisted such people don't exist, but they obviously do - people who expect their extended family to remember their romantic anniversaries. What?? It's only for you and your partner to remember! That's literally whose romance day it is, yours, so why would you even want your family involved? I just don't get it. Big 40-year family anniversary parties with the whole family, yeah, absolutely that makes sense, but this does not.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 2, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This will always baffle me. The thread has previously insisted such people don't exist, but they obviously do - people who expect their extended family to remember their romantic anniversaries. What?? It's only for you and your partner to remember! That's literally whose romance day it is, yours, so why would you even want your family involved? I just don't get it. Big 40-year family anniversary parties with the whole family, yeah, absolutely that makes sense, but this does not.

But I'm the protagonist of reality, not this snivelling, mewling infant!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mx. posted:

Christ

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lady I barely remember my own anniversary.

Been married since 2018, forgotten 2 out of 5 anniversaries.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also who talks about their fond memories of someone else’s wedding

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

ApplesandOranges posted:

More food!

AITA for getting my feelings hurt when my wife didn’t want to buy me a sandwich?

quote:

Unfortunately, she’s definitely expecting me to be able to speak to her about my emotions and core beliefs about why I got upset at some point today. So somehow this has become a whole thing. Which kind of sucks.

ReelBigLizard posted:

The wife is weird for not wanting to buy him a sandwich, but who among us hasn't started an argument and then gotten partway through it and realized it was a stupid and pointless argument that was now more irritating that you had to have it?

One of the best things about being married forever is being able to have the arguments in your head before you have them in person. So, you know what your partner is going to say, you get your responses in a row, and partway through that realize it's stupid and not worth arguing over. There are many arguments in my house that have been circumvented this way.

haveblue posted:

Also who talks about their fond memories of someone else’s wedding

Eh, people still talk about how much fun my wedding was. But that has less to do with the wedding and more to do with the company, I think.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

My brother and SIL got married on the same day as my birthday, they asked me in advance if it would bother me and it truly didn't matter at all. It was nice during the reception when I got to my seat and found a present at my spot and a little party hat.

Now every year when they call to wish me a happy birthday I feel obliged to wish them a happy anniversary, so I guess I'm one of those people. Otherwise I can't see why I'd bother remembering I suppose.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My brother married in September and while the ceremony was beautiful and the food and the party kicked rear end, i couldn't be more specific about the date if I tried

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My brothers wedding is in/around March. I remember because I had to fly from Korea to Australia for it. But as for the actual date?

I don't know or care. And neither he, nor my wonderful SiL expect me to .

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Literally the only anniversary date I remember is my grandparents’, and that’s only because at one point my grandpa told me they were so eager to get married that they did so one week after her 21st birthday, which was the marriage age back then

Even then I still have to do the mental math of “grandma’s birthday, plus a week” to actually produce a date

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Literally the only anniversary date I remember is my grandparents’, and that’s only because at one point my grandpa told me they were so eager to get married that they did so one week after her 21st birthday, which was the marriage age back then

Even then I still have to do the mental math of “grandma’s birthday, plus a week” to actually produce a date

Now I'm just imagining Abe Simpson saying that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My parents anniversary is on the same day as operation overlord. You know it by a different name. D-day

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Time to post my food crime!

I cook instant ramen in boiling water, drain all the water, then mix in the powder. Then I add sweet and sour or plum sauce, mix it in, and bon appetit.

I've been eating instant ramen that way for over 15 years. My husband hates it.
I didn't know people cooked instant ramen any other way until I was 16. And for a few more years I just thought Cousin Sheryl was being weird.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

Mx. posted:

I would feel differently if the OP didn't acknowledge that these feelings were unreasonable, but yeah, I think it's okay to feel upset that the one big party that most people get in their lives, that costs a ton of money to throw, and which the culture at large constantly reinforces as The Most Special Day, was shut down early and made no impact on the people you were hoping to celebrate with. This person also hasn't been talking poo poo about the baby to the family, or making weird passive-aggressive FB posts about it, or trying to tell the parents they can't celebrate their kid. I think it's far more insane to cut someone, your supposed best friend, off forever because they didn't want to come to your 1 year old's birthday party, even if it's for a dumb reason.

ETA: When did parties for infants metastasize into these giant celebrations? I have a relative who had a party for their 1 year old that was so big they hired tents, caterers, and live music.

Rain Brain fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 2, 2024

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

or

Mona Lisa was the big titty anime of her time. :colbert:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mx. posted:

i wish there was a similarly non-gendered term for aunt/uncle tbh

Uncunt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Batterypowered7 posted:

Now I'm just imagining Abe Simpson saying that.

i proposed to my wife by putting an onion on her belt, which was the style at the time

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rain Brain posted:

ETA: When did parties for infants metastasize into these giant celebrations? I have a relative who had a party for their 1 year old that was so big they hired tents, caterers, and live music.

Centuries ago in some cultures, it's the big "the baby will probably live to adulthood" celebration.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rain Brain posted:

People like this are using their kid for social media clout, like a pet

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My parents anniversary is on the same day as operation overlord. You know it by a different name. D-day

bad rear end

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rain Brain posted:

It’s an excuse for parents who have been in the trenches for a year (and almost two for the mom) to throw a party. The infant doesn’t know or care or have friends, but the adults can hang out with other adults. It’s also around the time parents start cutting back on breastfeeding so the mom might be taking a short break and having a few drinks for the first time in 21 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Now that infant mortality is not horrifyingly high the 1st birthday is 100% for the parents and is often symbolically important in a "it was hell, but we made it through" way. It is also frequently the first opportunity that parents get to have their friends/family all over at the same time for anything vaguely resembling fun and some people try to make up for lost time by going overboard.

Think of it more like a graduation party for a particularly grueling degree than a birthday. That's why parents are prone to feeling slighted if people skip out.