Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I like those display cases, but I just can't bring myself to pay that much for just 16 display windows. It'd cost $240 just to house the 8 Minifigures series. Plus, they take up a lot of display space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Psh, you guys should make your own display cases, like this awesome one that I totally wish I was creative enough to claim as my own:

quote:

Here is my new solution for minifig display. There is no glass covering to protect against dust but I feel that is a welcomed exchange for being able to have them displayed more 3 dimensionally. Obviously I will end up needing to buy a lot more of these but it is one of my many options for display.

I used a 16"x11.5" Idea-Ology Configurations Print Tray from Archivers. The great thing about this is you can change the configuration of the individual boxes. I used scrapbook paper for backgrounds to the boxes.

My gf is thinking of doing something similar, only using a huge wooden printing press typeset case.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/si-mocs/6804987326/in/set-72157629210206017/

This is my favorite display that someone built. If only I had the money to build this. :negative:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

VaultAggie posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/si-mocs/6804987326/in/set-72157629210206017/

This is my favorite display that someone built. If only I had the money to build this. :negative:

Daymn. I love seeing what awesome people do with Lego! It always comes out so artsy and much less 'omg no life neckbeardy' like most nerdy things that require a lot of effort.

Lego :3:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Is there a way to re-whiten some older white bricks? I've already soaked them and scrubbed with soap and water. Haven't tried the pillow case in washing machine method yet. I didn't realize they were discolored that much until after I sorted ~2000 pieces by color.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

madpanda posted:

Is there a way to re-whiten some older white bricks? I've already soaked them and scrubbed with soap and water. Haven't tried the pillow case in washing machine method yet. I didn't realize they were discolored that much until after I sorted ~2000 pieces by color.

Is it dirt or is it UV discoloration? If it's the latter, it's sort of a project and you might just want to consider them casualties.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I got my Fire boat set #775 from Sloppy this afternoon and I am so in love with Lego as old as that set is. On the plus side it came about 99% complete and was seeing if you all could help me complete it. I am missing this part http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3063, and was wondering if anybody had one in there collection they could hook me up with? I can work out a deal too for that piece if needed, most stores on bricklink will not let me order just one brick and pick a brick takes forever to get delivered lately.

Also I would love to complete the sticker set for the boat, http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=775stk01 but due to the age I am thinking buying a original sheet might be hard as hell. Is there any where that does custom stickers for Lego or anybody that can copy that sheet into a new set for the boat?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
That Lex Luthor robot set is amazing. I'm not even a Superman/Wonder Woman fan and I'm agog. Lego needs to make more giant robots. Also: it has a new shade of trans green.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

Is it dirt or is it UV discoloration? If it's the latter, it's sort of a project and you might just want to consider them casualties.

It's uv discoloration, probably only a few hundred pieces, i'll just pick up a few cups when I hit the lego store.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

madpanda posted:

You could try the oxy-clean / hydrogen peroxide method:

http://brickjungle.blogspot.ca/2010/03/lego-whitening-guide_21.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40182896@N00/3455254823/

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
UK goons: Argos has a 3-for-2 right now on all toys, including Lego. I think it's in-store only, but you can reserve online and collect in store. They're also doing the "spend £50/£100, get a £5/£10 voucher" offer.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

There's a pretty amusing TV special LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out on Cartoon Network right now. I haven't seen the big Lego Star Wars movie or anything, but this special is probably great if you have Lego Star Wars-loving kids and is still pretty amusing as a twentysomething who's just watched too much Star Wars. It's playing fast and loose with even just the continuity of the movies (Darth Maul and Naboo both feature prominently after Episode IV) but it does so for the purposes of humor, like all other Lego Star Wars media properties.

(It's also making me want to see if the podracer sets are still on clearance at my local Wal-Mart, so it's doing its job extremely well by making me actually want Episode I Lego as an adult.)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Okay so at the moment there isn't too much information on upcoming sets, but I've gathered together what I can, mostly from Eurobricks.

There's at least one more wave of Ninjago to come. No pictures that I know of, but there is a set list:

"Zachattacz posted:

70500 Kai's Fire Robot
70501 Samurai Bike
70502 Cole's Power-Drill
70503 Golden Dragon
70504 Garmatron
70505 Temple of Light
It will be joined by a very similar theme called "Legends of Chima". Below is a picture of some sets. The one on the right is apparently some sort of crocodile-ship:

And a picture of one of the minifigs (maybe) in the bottom-right of this. (It's meant to be a lion).

For licensed sets:
-There will be a Lone Ranger line, to go with the movie.
-There will be 3 Superman sets, as well as:

"nrg posted:

76000 Arctic Batman vs. Mr.Freeze - Aquaman on Ice
76001 Batman vs. Bane - Chase with Tumbler (with Dark Knight Rises minifigs)
76004 Spider Man - Hunting with Spider-Cycle
76005 Spider-Man - Mission at Daily Bugle
76007 Super Heroes: Marvel 4

There is a Hobbit boardgame coming out:

The Bag End set was revealed a while ago but this guy's flickr account has a bunch of new photos:

There may be a new space line. Nothing concrete, but:

"Cwetqo posted:

Each set had its own distinctive colour (white, blue, orange, limet etc...) with minifigure in that colour (remember "jelly beans" from knights kingdom II?).

There are "human" sets with normal medium sized spaceships and one brick built and insect shaped (fly, spider etc...) enemy in each set.
"Alien" sets have insect shaped ships and vehicles (cobra etc...) with new shaped alien drivers and some small human vehicle (buggy, scooter etc...).

Figures are more like space villain from CMF, but without artificial leg and arm (or like galaxy patrol without special armour) and as said, each one in different colour.

Flagship set (70705 Galaxy Squad: Komando Shuttle / Bug Obliterator) is one large human spaceship with retractable wings plus smaller alien ship and spider similar to one in LoTR.
Second larger set (70704 Galaxy Squad: Robo-Spezialbuggy / Vermin Vaporize) is giant wheeled vehicle.

Finally there is a list (but no pictures) of the 2013 Star Wars sets:

"Erdbeereis posted:

75000 Republic Troopers vs. Sith Troopers
75001 Clone Troopers vs. Droidekas
75002 AT-RT
75003 A-wing
75004 Z-95 Headhunter
75005 Rancor Pit
75012 BARC Speeder
75013 Umbarran Mobile Heavy Cannon

and the micro sets:
75006 Jedi Starfighter and Kamino
75007 Republic Assault Ship and Coruscant
75008 TIE Bomber and Asteroid (Field?)
75009 Snowspeeder and Planet Hoth
75010 B-wing and Planet Endor
75011 Tantive IV and Planet Alderaan
(Prices and minifig lists in the quote link.)
There's also some new line called "Speedorz", but whatever.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I am a sucker for those star wars miniplanet sets, even if they are overpriced.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

I am a sucker for those star wars miniplanet sets, even if they are overpriced.

Agreed. I've only picked up the interceptor and the x-wing so far but I suspect I'll be grabbing every single one of those in the next series.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I wonder what the A-Wing will be like design or color wise. I'm a huge fan of how simple but nice the one in the Home One set was. Also another Akbar and Han isn't bad at the price if the model is good.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What do you guys think of this Craigslist ad http://lawton.craigslist.org/tag/3269918754.html Seems like a pretty nice deal for all that, think I might ask them to part out the ships instead since those sell for a bit still and I have a thing for ships.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

the ships run around $100 each so yeah that's a good deal.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

After all the MOC Tumblers it will be interesting to see what TLC can come up with. And a new space line? Yes Please.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

After all the MOC Tumblers it will be interesting to see what TLC can come up with. And a new space line? Yes Please.

There was an official Lego Tumbler in the first batman line, actually.

http://tomztoyz.blogspot.com/2008/09/lego-batman-playset-7888-tumbler.html

I think a lot of MOC builders have done much better. I even saw one where the front 2 wheels actually transformed and detached into the bat-pod. I'm sure Lego will be able to improve on the next official design anyway, just look at how much better Star Wars ships look these days.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Rythe posted:

I am missing this part http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3063, and was wondering if anybody had one in there collection they could hook me up with? I can work out a deal too for that piece if needed, most stores on bricklink will not let me order just one brick and pick a brick takes forever to get delivered lately.

This store will sell you that one part for $0.34 plus $2.95 shipping, and they're in the US.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
It feels like it took me forever to save up for this one...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Travis343 posted:

There was an official Lego Tumbler in the first batman line, actually.

http://tomztoyz.blogspot.com/2008/09/lego-batman-playset-7888-tumbler.html

I think a lot of MOC builders have done much better. I even saw one where the front 2 wheels actually transformed and detached into the bat-pod. I'm sure Lego will be able to improve on the next official design anyway, just look at how much better Star Wars ships look these days.

Oh, right. Forgot about that one.

I guess you're refering to the one made by Artifex? Yeah, it's pretty crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMM0wrvzW9E

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

If anyone is looking to get into the modular buildings, some great deals on Amazon right now!

LEGO Creator Pet Shop 10218 for $111.59 (was $149.99)
LEGO Creator Fire Brigade 10197 for $111.59 (was $149.99)

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

ireladd posted:

If anyone is looking to get into the modular buildings, some great deals on Amazon right now!

LEGO Creator Pet Shop 10218 for $111.59 (was $149.99)
LEGO Creator Fire Brigade 10197 for $111.59 (was $149.99)

Deals are over for now. Yesterday was a crazy day for LEGO deals. I bought the Pet Shop off walmart for 120, and the cargo train for 140 on amazon (180 usually).

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Man, I have no idea how to pick out these S8 minifigures vs. S7. The first time I tried, I came away with the fairy godmother, the businessman, cowgirl and football player. This time I felt around, gave up, and came away with a DJ, conquistador, and the evil robot :hellyeah:

Now to figure out if I want to keep pressing my luck by not getting doubles, or just ordering Santa, Batboy, Diver, Pirate captain and Alien Queen off of bricklink.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GTJustin posted:

Man, I have no idea how to pick out these S8 minifigures vs. S7. The first time I tried, I came away with the fairy godmother, the businessman, cowgirl and football player. This time I felt around, gave up, and came away with a DJ, conquistador, and the evil robot :hellyeah:

Now to figure out if I want to keep pressing my luck by not getting doubles, or just ordering Santa, Batboy, Diver, Pirate captain and Alien Queen off of bricklink.

Alien Queen and Diver are easy. Queen has a large sloped brick for the lower half of her body, and the Diver helmet is MASSIVE, has a large, round, smooth face and two knobs on the sides.

The others I'm not so sure about, but this should help a little.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I've just been buying sealed boxes recently, but here's some possibilities for feeling:
1) Thespian; the ruff is the signature piece, but it could get trapped easily. There are two heads in the package that can help, though.
2) Bavarian; the pretzel is the signature, but the feather from the cap will verify.
3) Conquistador; a helmet with sharp points on both sides, a long sword with bulbous bits on both ends. Also has a large plume for the helmet to confirm. I wouldn't go with the armor piece, since it's easy to confuse with legs or a torso.
4) Cowgirl; the rope should be easy to find. It's unlikely to get masked by other pieces.
5) Diver; Gigantic helmet, speargun to confirm.
6) DJ; Use the 2x2 square and 2x2 round tiles to ferret it out. They can get caught, though.
7) Evil Robot; Helmet with two antennae, use the gun's laser bar to confirm.
8) Alien Queen; the dress is the obvious one.
9) Fairy; The wings should be the giveaway here. A rod with a pointy bit on one end can confirm.
10) Football player; The pads can be confused with conquistador armor; focus on finding the trophy.
11) Pirate; The helmet could be confused with the conquistador, and it has a large plume as well. Try to find the legs and feel for the peg leg. The sword can confirm, but it might be hard to ID it.
12) Cheerleader; The pom-poms could confuse you into thinking there are two heads like the thespian. Use your fingernail and determine if they're smooth. The ponytail hair is another giveaway.
13) Santa; Could be a tough one. The hat and bag are both blobby-shaped.
14) Skiier; The poles are giveaways if they're not trapped. The skis also have a distinctive single stud.
15) Businessman; The square tile could indicate a DJ, but finding the bowler hat or suitcase would confirm.
16) Batboy; The torso and arms are distinctive.

Also, in fresh boxes at least, figures are somewhat clustered. They are not spread evenly or randomly throughout the boxes, in my experience. If you just grab a handful from just one side, you'll have a higher chance of getting duplicates.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 30, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I hope this is kosher. I listed a bunch of Harry Potter Lego on eBay and though I'd link it here to give goons a chance at it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/monkey_puncher00/m.html?item=261103196742&pt=Games_US&hash=item3ccaf69a46&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

If you win anything let me know and I will toss in extra Lego goodness and/or figure out some other way to show you some Legoon love.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Ok, I'm excited. I know I'll end up with at least 2 of these.

• Includes 6 minifigures: female train engineer, male train steward, 2 female passengers and 2 male passengers
• Features 3 train cars, detailed engine room, printed windscreen, black train windows, brick-built chevron detailing, extendable pantographs, seats, a bathroom with sliding door, bar with hinged counter and tables with seats
• Accessories include luggage, newspapers, computer screen, coffee machine, cups and bottles
• Discover sideways building techniques!
• Ride the rails in high-speed LEGO® style!
• Upgrade your model by adding LEGO Power Functions 8878 Rechargeable Battery Box, 8887 Transformer 10V DC, 8884 IR Receiver, 8879 IR Speed Remote Control, 88002 Train Motor and 8870 Lights
• Train measures 31" (79cm) long

Available through Shop@Home beginning January 2013

US $129.99 CA $149.99 DE 99.99€ UK 79.99 £ DK 899.00 DKK

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 30, 2012

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

...Holy poo poo. Gonna need two of those to stick together.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Those white arrows on the side are sideways cheese slopes.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Veeb0rg posted:

• Includes 6 minifigures: female train engineer, male train steward, 2 female passengers and 2 male passengers
• Features 3 train cars, detailed engine room, printed windscreen, black train windows, brick-built chevron detailing, extendable pantographs, seats, a bathroom with sliding door, bar with hinged counter and tables with seats
• Accessories include luggage, newspapers, computer screen, coffee machine, cups and bottles
• Upgrade your model by adding LEGO Power Functions 8878 Rechargeable Battery Box, 8887 Transformer 10V DC, 8884 IR Receiver, 8879 IR Speed Remote Control, 88002 Train Motor and 8870 Lights

Oh. My. God.

Lego, you heard my pleas for more trains and you have delivered.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Swallowed a bunch of pride and bought my girlfriend Weathertop for her birthday.

$60 for 430 pieces. That's some bullshit.

and

Pyroclastic posted:

4) Cowgirl; the rope should be easy to find. It's unlikely to get masked by other pieces.

Having felt a ton of loving bags to try and get a cowgirl for said girlfriend, I'd say feel for the hat. It's a cowboy hat with a ponytail attached. It's huge, solid, and really distinct feeling.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 30, 2012

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Sockser posted:

Swallowed a bunch of pride and bought my girlfriend Weathertop for her birthday.

$60 for 430 pieces. That's some bullshit.

I just did the same thing, but for myself. Having all of the fellowship but Merry and Aragorn was bugging me. :(

Only Series 8 I'm missing now are the crappier ones I didn't look for: skier, footballer, fairy... and I haven't been able to find a Santa yet, and he's not bad.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Veeb0rg posted:

Not that into trains (though that is one stylish traing, to be sure) but that "Expert" label in the lower right corner has me intrigued. A line of complex Creator sets in minifig scale?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The interior sounds detailed and complex, can't wait for more pictures.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There are some (not as many as I'd like) photos here.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Krazyface posted:

There are some (not as many as I'd like) photos here.

Guh!

I really need this one.

Nice to see a woman train driver too (and WHAT a train).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009
That set feels like a sum of what AFOLs have been asking for for a long time - it pretty much ticks every single box. I'm very excited.