Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Diogines posted:

Is New Vegas Nexus down?

I dunno if it's down, but I've been having problems with it yesterday and today. Firefox says that the connection is resetting while the page is loading, and some downloads have dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Starting my second play through and after enabling all my mods I'm getting a crash whenever I check Sawyers.

load order http://imgur.com/2vKVX

Thanks!

Put FalloutNV.esm at the top.

Is there a mod for the reloading bench that doesn't close it each time I make/break down an item? I've got a lot of poo poo that needs to be turned into tasty .45 Super and god drat is it annoying having to open it every time.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Starting my second play through and after enabling all my mods I'm getting a crash whenever I check Sawyers.

Thanks!

Have you BOSS auto-sorted it? There's a number of things wrong there - mainly in that your .esm's are all out of place. Generally you want FalloutNV on top at all times, considering that's what everything runs off of. The official DLC's should then follow in order of release (Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Gun Runners Arsenal and then the Pre-Order Bonuses). Also, with Western Skies you should only check one of them - the Darker Nights file comes with the regular additions of Western Skies just with... darker nights.

efb

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Thanks!

It looks like you don't have the Courier's Stash DLC, which jsawyer requires.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Thanks!

Confirming what Eldoop is saying: You're missing the four .esm files for "Courier's Stash", which are required masters for JSawyer.esp.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
All of these are good things to know! I lumped Couriers stash with Gun runners Arsenal in my mind so I forgot to get it. I've since started a character, and am in goodsprings with hardcore mode enabled. Will it anything up to enable all these mods now?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Diogines posted:

Is New Vegas Nexus down?

It's having a bunch of problems - today it would alternate between letting me download files and telling me that the files were hidden. For the same file.

Hopefully it was worth it - I was trying to get a mod to restore bean bag rounds to their broken state before two or so patches ago, when you could knock out deathclaws with a shotgun.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Put FalloutNV.esm at the top.

Is there a mod for the reloading bench that doesn't close it each time I make/break down an item? I've got a lot of poo poo that needs to be turned into tasty .45 Super and god drat is it annoying having to open it every time.

Let me know if you find anything for this. A less lovely crafting interface would be great.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SpookyLizard posted:

Let me know if you find anything for this. A less lovely crafting interface would be great.

Or at least just something that allows you to craft or break down more than 100 at a time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

All of these are good things to know! I lumped Couriers stash with Gun runners Arsenal in my mind so I forgot to get it. I've since started a character, and am in goodsprings with hardcore mode enabled. Will it anything up to enable all these mods now?

It depends. If you've purchased and installed Courier's Stash plugins in order to activate JSawyer.esp on a preexisting game, then yes, it can. In the unlikely situation that you've already been to a cell that JSawyer.esp redistributes the Courier's Stash items to, you will CTD upon entering these cells. Like I said, it's unlikely that you've entered any of these areas, however. Also, Delay DLC is pretty much pointless if you activate it after you receive all of the DLC quests, notes, and signals.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I started over regardless. Planning on jumping into Honest Hearts right after I take care of Benny and get some of that sweet pre ropekid mod patch xp.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So I just go into OWB kinda early (Level two or three) and goddamn if everything isn't so loving bullet spongey and generally resistant to damage. Is there something recommend to make things less stupid like this in here?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm gonna jump back into Fallout 3 and NV. Any must-have mods?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Anyone have a link to the Low Profile Armour Mod?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone have a link to the Low-Profile Armour Mod? [Corrected for easier use of C-f / F3 -SU]

You mean the one in the OP of this very thread?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

I'm gonna jump back into Fallout 3 and NV. Any must-have mods?

The only thing I would consider "must have" is a mod like DarnUI that allows menus to take advantage of a PC's higher resolutions. No more browsing your Pipboy menu 5 items at a time!

Other than that, a lot of goon-approved mods are in the OP.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Well I feel dumb. Thanks.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
here are screenshots of NVs ENB working on FO3, with some custom bloom shaders (not mine):

(clarification: This is NVs engine, with the mod that lets you travel to DC)

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 6, 2012

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Is there any way to get a hold of the Capital Wasteland mod? The link in the OP goes to a page which says the author put it on hidden. :(

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Police Automaton posted:

here are screenshots of NVs ENB working on FO3, with some custom bloom shaders (not mine):

There's an ENB for NV? I don't understand how the ENB series works across games or what it is, but holy gently caress is that beautiful.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

One and the Same posted:

Is there any way to get a hold of the Capital Wasteland mod? The link in the OP goes to a page which says the author put it on hidden. :(

I don't have a link, but I've got an older version and I honestly can't recommend it. I don't know if the latest one is more stable or what, but it's a bit of a mess stability-wise, and improvements are unlikely because the mod has been swallowed by copyright issues.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Or at least just something that allows you to craft or break down more than 100 at a time.

This is a simple thing you can set up in the GECK. No scripts, no fiddling with leveled lists, pretty safe as long as you don't overwrite vanilla recipes. All you have to do is find the recipes you want to perform in quantity, then take the number values for ingredients/product objects and add two zeroes behind each.

1 casing + 1 primer + 1 lead = 1 bullet turns into 100 casings + 100 primers +100 lead = 100 bullets.

Then you save it as a new recipe with a different name. In game, you now have a recipe that can make 10,000 bullets instead of just 100 per batch. You need to make it a new recipe though, since its useless if you don't have the resources to make the first batch of 100.
I started with an ESP for Gtabs TFR ammo mod, since it already had recipes for brass and new ammo types, and did this for the casing recipes and common ammo types I never find myself using.
Before anyone asks, my ESP also depends on a master file for my own personal make-poo poo-my-way mod, so uploading it would be useless to anyone else. Its far from a complete list of everything anyway.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

There's an ENB for NV? I don't understand how the ENB series works across games or what it is, but holy gently caress is that beautiful.

It's basically a bunch of shader 'hacks' although Boris, the fellow behind the mod, makes game specific versions. He's started work on a New Vegas version.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Are there any mods like the Oblivion Bag of Holding mod? That is, not just something like the leather backpack mod that gives you more carrying capacity, but one that is basically a container you access from your inventory.

Kind of. The only one that I know of that lets you take stuff from your inventory and put it into a storage space is called HiVEnv. Thing is, it tends to add, uh, a whole lot of stuff to the game as well. Course, its totally possible to just ignore that stuff and use it as a storage container too.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40685/

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

There was one made for Fallout 3, so maybe someone with more skill than I could import it to New Vegas.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Police Automaton posted:

Holy poo poo I can't wait for this :f5:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been reading the OP and the last few pages since I'm super late to this party (played NV at launch on 360, bought it on Steam this weekend) and I'm wondering which of the weather mods are preferable? Western Skies looks nice but that FNV Project Reality looks really amazing as well. Do they both have comparable weather in them?

What about the realistic textures mod? Is that compatible with the weather mods? No matter how I go, I'll need the FOMM/BOSS thing too, right?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 6, 2012

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Just a heads up to Avast users: Avast have followed up a couple of days ago performance of detecting Steam as malware by detecting the 4GB loader of NV as a virus. I'd recommend disabling Avast while using NV for now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Capn Beeb posted:

Holy poo poo I can't wait for this :f5:

Yeah, those pics look like borderline concept art, and I like that.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

One and the Same posted:

Not Requiem for the Capital Wasteland, but it looks like Tale of Two Wastelands found rehosting on the Morroblivion forums. That'd probably be your best shot right now.

http://morroblivion.com/forums/fallout-games/tale-of-two-wastelands/2665

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Levantine posted:

I've been reading the OP and the last few pages since I'm super late to this party (played NV at launch on 360, bought it on Steam this weekend) and I'm wondering which of the weather mods are preferable? Western Skies looks nice but that FNV Project Reality looks really amazing as well. Do they both have comparable weather in them?

What about the realistic textures mod? Is that compatible with the weather mods? No matter how I go, I'll need the FOMM/BOSS thing too, right?

Most mods are compatible unless they do the same thing. So while most weather mods will get angry if you use two, they shouldn't conflict with the texture packs. FOMM or the Nexus mod manager are recommended, but aren't necessary per se, but I imagine not using them is extremely aggravating.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

There's no way to tell you which weather mod to use--it really is a matter of personal taste, since they're all very similar. Project Reality adds some additional effects like heat haze and depth of field...but you can get the same effects from a small shader plugin, too, so it's not like Project Reality is always the way to go. If it's in the OP, a bunch of people have used it and enjoyed it.

I'm not sure what textures you're talking about, though. As SpookyLizard pointed out, texture mods are only incompatible in the sense that they may have custom textures for the same things, and whichever gets installed last will overwrite those before it. It won't crash your game.

If you don't use FOMM, you'll need to use another utility that can manage your load order, like the Nexus Mod Manager. The included "data files" option in the FalloutNV Launcher only allows you to enable or disable certain plugins, and thus you can ignore it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There's no way to tell you which weather mod to use--it really is a matter of personal taste, since they're all very similar. Project Reality adds some additional effects like heat haze and depth of field...but you can get the same effects from a small shader plugin, too, so it's not like Project Reality is always the way to go. If it's in the OP, a bunch of people have used it and enjoyed it.

I'm not sure what textures you're talking about, though. As SpookyLizard pointed out, texture mods are only incompatible in the sense that they may have custom textures for the same things, and whichever gets installed last will overwrite those before it. It won't crash your game.

If you don't use FOMM, you'll need to use another utility that can manage your load order, like the Nexus Mod Manager. The included "data files" option in the FalloutNV Launcher only allows you to enable or disable certain plugins, and thus you can ignore it.

Ok thanks for the info. Project reality seems to have been updated more recently so I think that's the path I'll go. The textures mod I was referring to was here: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43135 and looked pretty good. I think I just need to get a list of mods I want to use together and go from there. I saw one that changed gun animations to a more police tactical one which seemed neat too. I guess all I can do is mod and troubleshoot from there, huh.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

Ok thanks for the info. Project reality seems to have been updated more recently so I think that's the path I'll go. The textures mod I was referring to was here: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43135 and looked pretty good. I think I just need to get a list of mods I want to use together and go from there. I saw one that changed gun animations to a more police tactical one which seemed neat too. I guess all I can do is mod and troubleshoot from there, huh.

Oh, NMC's texture pack. Yeah, that's a good way to go. Unless you're running with a beastly rig, I'd recommend going with the small (uses default resolutions) or medium (uses 4x larger, 1024 x 1024 resolution) pack. If you use the small pack, you'll get (IMHO) much better looking textures for absolutely no additional cost to performance. If you use the medium pack, there may be slightly longer load times or stutter, but a lot of that can be addressed by using the FNV4GB.exe (enables the usage of more than 1.8GB RAM.)

I love parentheses.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh, NMC's texture pack. Yeah, that's a good way to go. Unless you're running with a beastly rig, I'd recommend going with the small (uses default resolutions) or medium (uses 4x larger, 1024 x 1024 resolution) pack. If you use the small pack, you'll get (IMHO) much better looking textures for absolutely no additional cost to performance. If you use the medium pack, there may be slightly longer load times or stutter, but a lot of that can be addressed by using the FNV4GB.exe (enables the usage of more than 1.8GB RAM.)

I love parentheses.

Define beastly, I'm currently running an i7-3280 (3.6Ghz) 16GB of ram and a GTX 480 - will that be sufficient? Additionally, will I want to use that FNV4GB regardless if I use a lot of mods?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Levantine posted:

Define beastly, I'm currently running an i7-3280 (3.6Ghz) 16GB of ram and a GTX 480 - will that be sufficient? Additionally, will I want to use that FNV4GB regardless if I use a lot of mods?

That is way more than enough. Not sure how well you'd do with the large textures but medium won't even dent your performance with those specs. Don't forget about the fnv4gb.exe from the OP like Cream suggested.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

The thing about the engine is, it's a fickle beast. It won't take advantage of virtually any of that 16GB of RAM--even with FNV4GB, you'll use something less than 4GB. It doesn't take nearly enough advantage of multi-core CPUs, either, so you won't benefit from the 4 (or 8 virtual) cores that i7 has. In fact, one of the most significant boosts to general performance comes from having a solid state drive.

That isn't to say you'll have problems running the game. Your rig sounds solid. But, if you do choose to use the "large" NMC texture pack, you may still observe a marked increase in stuttering while moving around cells.

And yeah, if you're doing any modding, you'll want to use FNV4GB. Mods increase the demands on the game, and the game was only written to deal with very specific amounts of memory (with consoles in mind.) If you demand more memory than the engine is prescribed, it will CTD. Using the FNV4GB raises this ceiling, and reduces the frequency of associated CTDs. This is especially true when using high resolution texture packs.

EDIT: I should also say that, even with your PC, you may experience poorer performance than you would expect. This is not your PC's fault, it's a combination of Bethesda's and the lovely engine they chose for this game. I feel pretty confident saying that no amount of tweaking will net you a consistent 60 FPS.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 6, 2012

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The thing about the engine is, it's a fickle beast. It won't take advantage of virtually any of that 16GB of RAM--even with FNV4GB, you'll use something less than 4GB. It doesn't take nearly enough advantage of multi-core CPUs, either, so you won't benefit from the 4 (or 8 virtual) cores that i7 has. In fact, one of the most significant boosts to general performance comes from having a solid state drive.

I can only repeat this over a billion times. There's something really wrong with how that engine iteration manages streaming data it needs into memory from the drive. There's literally no caching going on, as soon as an object isn't used in the current scene, it seems to be gone from memory and will be loaded all over again when requested next. I once played NV on a very slow hard drive, the result was stuttering in many places, very unstable framerates and even crashing if I'd move too fast through cells.

Now I'm running NV from an SSD. The difference is day and night. No stutters anymore, no strange lag while transitioning cells, and no crashes while sprinting with Project Nevada into certain cells anymore. Even with the ono bjueno texture pack my framerate maxes out in most situations at 60 FPS with a Geforce 460 GTX, I have limited the framerate artifically to 30 to avoid frame spikes and because it's enough for me. I did not change anything else about the hardware.

Also another thing, the hardware AA of this engine for some reason outright halves framerates in some situations. I highly recommend installing either the FXAA tool or the SMAA tool (for better shader-based AA) and turning off Hardware AA altogether. This nets a huge performance boost on every hardware platform. This is actually good advice for pretty much every game that doesn't do shader-based AA by itself.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 6, 2012

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Strangely enough the FXAA tool seems to have little effect on AA for me and the SMAA tool absolutely murders my framerate while forcing AA through my graphics card (I'm using a HD 6950) grants me an improved picture quality while pretty much leaving my framerate untouched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

I'm a respected community leader! A shining pillar of moral strength!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Strangely enough the FXAA tool seems to have little effect on AA for me and the SMAA tool absolutely murders my framerate while forcing AA through my graphics card (I'm using a HD 6950) grants me an improved picture quality while pretty much leaving my framerate untouched.

Same deal here (though with a GTX 590). I'm actually not seeing a notable performance hit with AA. Still get slowdown at the North Strip, fifth level of Vault 22, and Dead Money's Villa with or without it, but eh, I'll deal.

I did note something. By accident, I ran the game on two separate outputs, but saw no performance decrease. I assume this game doesn't take advantage of SLI at all, right?