Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

withak posted:

Those red ones located in the middle of nowhere must have some interesting outliers.

I recognize the one in Iowa as Dallas County. Along with the state government there's a number of finance, insurance, and agribusiness companies with headquarters or significant operations in Des Moines, which is adjacent Polk County. High-earning people who work in Des Moines tend to commute in from Urbandale and West Des Moines, which are in Dallas County. Low-income people stay closer to their jobs in Des Moines proper, and then the rest of Dallas County is rural, so the median income is inflated.

I'd guess the same kind of thing for the other counties you're looking at.

made of bees posted:

I know I've seen another 'shrinking Israel' map, which for some reason skipped from 1917 to 1967 or something like that.

Now that we have the map here, it's also worth noting that they skip from 1982 to 2000 so as to omit the occupation of southern Lebanon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Poor Alameda county needs to figure out how to get in on that sweet sweet Bay Area cash.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Poor Alameda county needs to figure out how to get in on that sweet sweet Bay Area cash.

It's not that it isn't in on the sweet sweet cash, it's that Marin, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties are extra wealthy. SF isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison though, seeing as it's a city-county rather than a normal giant sized county with multiple municipalities. But I am kind of surprised that Contra Costa county is among the 100 most wealthy while Alameda isn't.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Can that county in western North Dakota be basically summed up as "fracking boom"?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Can that county in western North Dakota be basically summed up as "fracking boom"?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/average-rent-williston-n-tops-costs-nyc-article-1.1617187

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Williamson County (the red one in Central Texas) is baffling to me. It's just a giant suburb.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

Williamson County (the red one in Central Texas) is baffling to me. It's just a giant suburb.

Probably due to this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rah! posted:

It's not that it isn't in on the sweet sweet cash, it's that Marin, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties are extra wealthy. SF isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison though, seeing as it's a city-county rather than a normal giant sized county with multiple municipalities. But I am kind of surprised that Contra Costa county is among the 100 most wealthy while Alameda isn't.

This is really surprising to me, as someone who's just moved to Contra Costa from Alameda. If the county is so rich, how come county workers in Contra Costa get paid so much less than in Alameda County? I guess it really comes down to how the voters swing?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

At a glance, it looks like most of the red counties are giant suburbs.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The red county in Michigan is just north of me, and I can never figure out how on earth it's supposed to be one of the richest counties in America. The towns aren't abandoned husks of former industrial majesty, as opposed to other areas in the state, but it's not like the county's heaving with mansions either.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Well considering the Median Household Income for the county is 67.4k I'm guessing it's a few rich people who live out on big estates.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DrSunshine posted:

This is really surprising to me, as someone who's just moved to Contra Costa from Alameda. If the county is so rich, how come county workers in Contra Costa get paid so much less than in Alameda County? I guess it really comes down to how the voters swing?

How is that at all contradictory? Richer people are going to be more likely to vote to cut the wages of civil servants, naturally.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mister Adequate posted:

The Incredible Shrinking Israel?

No one posted the classic response!

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

What the hell is up with Monroe County in Southern Illinois? I even live in St. Louis and I still had to look it up on Wikipedia because I couldn't even think of its name. It matters so little, that I can only vaguely recall the name from hearing it spoken during breaking tornado watches. Wikipedia's data for demographics and income don't make it stand out, either.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Would those blue counties in South Dakota be Reservations?

Edit: looks like they are:

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 22, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Yep. The one farthest west is Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, which is (I think) the poorest county in the entire country.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Apparently Albania and Montenegro are Buddhist

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Actually Montenegro is still attached to Serbia in that map and Albania just has a diagonal line going through it to denote that it is Islamic.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

Nope, there's no Montenegro on that map - that's an Islamic diagonal through Albania.

E;F,B

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I'm sure the Uyghurs will be fine with being labeled "Sinic".

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

sparatuvs posted:

Guyana is a mess.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Proposition Joe posted:

Actually Montenegro is still attached to Serbia in that map and Albania just has a diagonal line going through it to denote that it is Islamic.

You're right, but is this map say that Guyana is Hindu?

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 22, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

sparatuvs posted:

You're right, but is this map say that Guyana is Hindu?
Roughly 40% of the population is Hindu.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

sparatuvs posted:

Apparently all of sub-saharan Africa believes in the African religion instead of being overwhelmingly...uh...I guess "Western" based on this map?

Wait is this even a religion map?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

Hm yes spain has more in common religiously with the UK than it does Latin America. :downsbravo:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Apparently all of sub-saharan Africa believes in the African religion instead of being overwhelmingly...uh...I guess "Western" based on this map?

Wait is this even a religion map?
I think it's a "civilization" map.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not enough death robots

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What the gently caress is going on in the philipines then :psyduck:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

reignonyourparade posted:

What the gently caress is going on in the philipines then :psyduck:

It's both western and sinic.

And why is Albania Islamic and Bosnia isn't?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The most relevant question is what the hell they were thinking mixing colors and hatching.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
That's a map of civilizations according to Samuel Huntington's "Clash of Civilizations."

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I like that they took care to erase the three pixels that would've marked Israel as Islamic but just ended up making it Buddhist instead.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Good job on making all of Bosnia Orthodox. Why not choose the majority religion?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Well considering the Median Household Income for the county is 67.4k I'm guessing it's a few rich people who live out on big estates.

I would've figured that alone wouldn't do it, since there's also a fair number of poor-as-poo poo households scattered everywhere. The county east of it, Oakland, seemed liked a more likely candidate for rich-as-gently caress county, and in fact despite having a lower median household income than Livingston County it has a higher median income per family. :psyduck:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

mcustic posted:

Good job on making all of Bosnia Orthodox. Why not choose the majority religion?

It is supposed to show what type of "civilization" they have, I guess Bosnia is more "Greek" then "Arab" so it can't be Islamic. Although I wouldn't walk around Sarajevo saying that.

I'm just happy the Caspian Sea is Buddhist.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

sparatuvs posted:

It is supposed to show what type of "civilization" they have, I guess Bosnia is more "Greek" then "Arab" so it can't be Islamic. Although I wouldn't walk around Sarajevo saying that.

Well, I also wouldn't walk around Sarajevo saying that it's "Arab" :colbert:

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.

Disco Infiva posted:

Well, I also wouldn't walk around Sarajevo saying that it's "Arab" :colbert:

It's almost as if Huntington's whole model is a grotesque simplification of real-world cultural diversity! Who would have guessed?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DSPaul posted:

It's almost as if Huntington's whole model is a grotesque simplification of real-world cultural diversity! Who would have guessed?

Yeah, I know that. My response was a facetious comment on sparatuvs saying more "Greek" than "Arab" instead of more "Greek" than "Turkish".

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

sparatuvs posted:

what background feats do they get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ofaloaf posted:

The red county in Michigan is just north of me, and I can never figure out how on earth it's supposed to be one of the richest counties in America. The towns aren't abandoned husks of former industrial majesty, as opposed to other areas in the state, but it's not like the county's heaving with mansions either.

Auto industry employees from GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the suppliers based in Novi/Wixom, as well as farmers. Farmers often have high net worth's even if their personal spending is low.