Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012

nocal posted:

Two tickets to Tokyo.

How much and for how long if you dont mind me asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I've been thinking about doing this. I have a Sonicare but the heads are pretty expensive. Did you get the power version or the manual?

Power. It just vibrates and pauses every 30 seconds so you move on to another quadrant.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Bought a 40" monitor so I can code more efficiently.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VWX3U8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I do a lot of coding in front of a 48" 4k and it's amazing. Way better than dual screens imho.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tenterhooks posted:

A little Captain Haddock statue for my shelf. I'm not even particularly into Tintin but I thought it was a lovely thing. Available from the official Tintin shop.

Thanks for the heads up! Tintin figurines have usually been super expensive but these are surprisingly cheap.

The plane collection looks awesome I know what I'm going to do with my money this month.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

rockcity posted:

I've had mixed results from them. I have some ties that look and feel great and are holding up nicely and some that were already having quality issues after a single wear.

Yeah, for all that I like them, their quality control isn't perfect, and you'll definitely want to check everything carefully when you receive it. I've had maybe four or five ties arrive with conspicuous defects. On the plus side, they sent out replacements immediately every time I've had a problem.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, for all that I like them, their quality control isn't perfect, and you'll definitely want to check everything carefully when you receive it. I've had maybe four or five ties arrive with conspicuous defects. On the plus side, they sent out replacements immediately every time I've had a problem.

I've never noticed anything on arrival, it was just one type of material that they have in one of their ties seems to really wear and fray rapidly. I had two ties in similar patterns of the same material both do it after one wear. One bow tie and one regular tie.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I haven't had any quality issues with The Tie Bar, but a couple of the ones I have are difficult to get a half decent knot out of (most of them knot perfectly fine).

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

TotalLossBrain posted:

I do a lot of coding in front of a 48" 4k and it's amazing. Way better than dual screens imho.

I have dual screens and am struggling to see how a single giant screen is better. Are you not just moving windows around endlessly? Also, how is your work space set up that a 48" screen doesn't dwarf everything else?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

JPrime posted:

I have dual screens and am struggling to see how a single giant screen is better. Are you not just moving windows around endlessly? Also, how is your work space set up that a 48" screen doesn't dwarf everything else?

I set up 2-6 windows at a time. I find that better than dual screens because I don't have to deal with two separate viewing surfaces.
My workspace is just a desk. I have the screen attached to the wall 1.5 inches above the desk. I am usually 2-3 ft away from it.
It's probably very much a case of personal preference, but for me it's the best I've tried (I do frequently deal with 6 screen setups at work or even video walls)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Which make/model?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I could use a recommendation for a computer desk. I am currently using an old sewing machine table and it is killing my back and wrists because I cant slide my chair far enough under it.

The space it lives in is only like 5' wide but almost 3' deep. I want drawers and preferably a pull out writing surface on the left hand side. My budget is pretty flexible as I assume I will always have a PC so I want something that will last a while.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

xlevus posted:

Which make/model?

Up until a couple months ago, a Wasabi Mango UHD420, but that was 'only' 42 inches.
After an unfortunate accident, I am now using an LG 48" UHD smart-TV, not sure of the model name. I got it on Black Friday. It was one of the higher quality 4k displays, but it still only has HDMI ports, including one 2.0. I'm using an active HDMI->DP adapter now and while it looks nice (4:4:2?), it is noticeably worse than the Wasabi 42", which used DP.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I just bought an older edition of the Oxford Latin Dictionary. I've wanted one for years and have sniffed around them second hand on Amazon for quite a while. Just saw one that was just about £100 because one of the pages was miscut (ie sticks out a bit farther than the others). Contacted the seller beforehand; he's a long time bookseller who's got the right tools to trim the page down.

:hist101:

Meanwhile, went nuts out in the States hitting the January sales at Macys and snarfling up just about all of OPI's Hello Kitty range, because the beauty supply house near my hotel had them for $5 each (compared to £12 in the UK!).

Now am broke because I have to turn in receipts from my conference, but there are new tyres unglamorously awaiting me on the horizon once I've got my travel funds sorted.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

TheHouseofM posted:

How much and for how long if you dont mind me asking?

Two tickets for ten days, nonstop from LAX, about $1300.

I have literally nothing else planned, and I understand that Japan is not an especially cheap country, so we'll see if I can afford to do anything when I arrive.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
speaking of trips. Dropped a deposit for 2 inclusive tickets to Aruba.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I bought a banana hanger today. I've attached a photo of it to this post. Check it out!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I spent $45 on a shredded memory foam pillow with a 40% bamboo cover.

I don't know if I love it yet but I slept better last night than the night before.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Math Debater posted:

I bought a banana hanger today. I've attached a photo of it to this post. Check it out!

What happens when you have one left?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Math Debater posted:

Whered you get that cat wizard?

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
If I recall correctly, I think my mom or my grandma bought that cat wizard for me as a Halloween present. I think I was given the cat wizard in October of 2007, when I was 18 years old.

When there is only one banana left, I may just lay the banana on the kitchen counter. However, I may still be able to keep using the banana hanger for the last banana if the top-parts/stems of the previously eaten bananas in the bunch are still conjoined together.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Math Debater posted:

Not going to lie, that seems really dumb.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

flosofl posted:

What happens when you have one left?

If you trim off the bananas with scissors instead of tearing them off, you'll leave enough stem to still hang the remaining banana.

Content:

Broan 683L ceiling fan with light (x2). I was looking at those Nutone ones that was suggested earlier but they were too big to fit in the existing spot.

Timer switches for said fans.
Will install them on Saturday so I'll see how good I am at not electrocuting myself.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Android Bicyclist posted:

Will install them on Saturday so I'll see how good I am at not electrocuting myself.

You talked me into it, I just bought one of these and a wall plate. Also an Asus Xonar DG sound card because my onboard left channel likes to cut out, and I've wanted a sound card with a better-than-total-poo poo headphone jack.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't know if I love it yet but I slept better last night than the night before.

I got 2 of these for $60 on Saturday. The first night felt odd, but I woke up without neck pain. Each night has been better than the last.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A common thing with memory foam mattresses is to have incredible back pain the first night. There's some kind of adjustment period needed. Usually just one night though.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

where

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004

I got this one a few days ago and I think I liked my old latex foam pillow better, but the shredded memory foam is still very nice.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

semicolon posted:

I got this one a few days ago and I think I liked my old latex foam pillow better, but the shredded memory foam is still very nice.

That one semicolon linked. Has/had a $5 promotion in the cart

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Math Debater posted:

Is the cat a cookie jar?

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Vier posted:

Is the cat a cookie jar?

Nah, just a chubby kitty magician statuette.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

rockcity posted:

At first glance, I thought the top one was an oscilloscope.

I picked up a grain mill for homebrewing so I can buy some of my grain in bulk and also dial in my grains to work best with my system.

My nigga :homebrew:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Trabant posted:

Got an Instant Pot, in hopes of controlling how much I spend on takeout. It will probably be better on my waistline too.

Liking it so far, even though I'm struggling with the seasoning :downs:

I had something like this. Before my housemate wrecked it by letting it get wet electronics, I would use it 2-4 times a week when I had lates at work. Now I work a normal roster so I cook every night.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Wanamingo posted:

Not going to lie, that seems really dumb.

I have one that's a little more subtle (it mounts under a cabinet, and can fold up when there's no bananas) but it's super useful for not having bruised-as-poo poo-bananas. I don't have cat wizard though so I'm doing it wrong.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

JPrime posted:

I run two screens and I just loving hate the gap between them so to me a larger, higher resolution screen would be far better.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

JPrime posted:

A good window snapping program can also make one giant screen amazing. I use WinSpilt Revolution although it seems like its no longer supported. It will divided your screen up into 4 and 6 quadrants you can move windows to with keyboard shortcuts.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Android Bicyclist posted:

Save your receipt. I had a similar Leviton that lasted only about a month once installed, it started making an awful buzzing noise. I would have returned it, but I bought it several months before I had actually installed it (when I was renovating a bathroom) and assumed amazon wouldn't take it back.

I bought a lutron and it's been perfect since.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I bought a coffee thermos.

Zojirushi SM-YAE48 (click for huge), it's sexy. Stainless inside so it won't break. The coffee they keep on hand to brew at my office is abominable: now I can bring my own and it stays hot pretty much all day. Between this and my Nalgene, I will probably never need another beverage container.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Jan 21, 2016

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

strangemusic posted:

I bought a coffee thermos.

Zojirushi SM-YAE48 (click for huge), it's sexy. Stainless inside so it won't break. The coffee they keep on hand to brew at my office is abominable: now I can bring my own and it stays hot pretty much all day. Between this and my Nalgene, I will probably never need another beverage container.

We have two of those and they are the bomb. Hot coffee for hours...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

dreesemonkey posted:

Save your receipt. I had a similar Leviton that lasted only about a month once installed, it started making an awful buzzing noise. I would have returned it, but I bought it several months before I had actually installed it (when I was renovating a bathroom) and assumed amazon wouldn't take it back.

I bought a lutron and it's been perfect since.

Oh! Thanks for the heads up. Will look for the Lutron ones.