Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

"It's lit" -Josh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Fire Walk With Me was a bit of a mess, unfortunately, only slightly redeemed by some cool-looking scenes at which Lynch excels.
Also, David Bowie was in it.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

David Lynch is trash

I haven't seen anything good by him and I am constantly perplexed why people find his ugly rear end special snowflake films so good

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well I guess it's a matter of taste...

David Lynch is a great film maker though, and a weirdo.

Personal favourite for me is still Blue Velvet, which was the first one I saw. There's something really creepy going on in that movie, and most of his good movies really.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I saw Mullholland Drive like a dozen years ago, and I remember it being boring and making no sense.

That's the only David Lynch movie I've seen.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I agree that his movies are creepy. I just dont think theyre good

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

he does have a nice haircut though and looks pretty good for a 70 year old ancient man

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fartbox posted:

he does have a nice haircut though and looks pretty good for a 70 year old ancient man

excuse me but this isn't the trump thread

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I could listen to that man talk about anything.

Lynch, i mean. Not Trump.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fartbox posted:

David Lynch is trash

I haven't seen anything good by him and I am constantly perplexed why people find his ugly rear end special snowflake films so good

What a hot take!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I like Lynch but I don't like Jodorowsky

Hot takes! Get your hot takes here!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

Anything they can post random screencaps of. I saw some dude the other day saying GotG's visuals were unimaginative and dull compared to Man of Steel.

Desaturated photos of IHOP are way more impressive than the Ego planet or the crayon wax moving sculptures.

I mean, the first one requires a child to hit the minus button on the third option on movie maker free trial.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
David Lynch is a horrible piece of poo poo, a bad father, doesn't recycle, and has a hairstyle that belongs on a middle-aged lesbian.

I also don't care for his moving picture shows.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

vermin posted:

I'm a big Holy Mountain fan.

That Blu Ray restoration :discourse:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fartbox posted:

special snowflake

A man named Fartbox, telling us all about the special snowflake media he doesn't consume. Groundbreaking stuff, folks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"How do you be sober?" - Mike Stoklasa

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm going to watch Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces, I guess. I thought it would be just some outtakes, but it looks like there are plenty of interesting scenes in there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Most of the scenes, I can't even see why they were excluded because they add some important character details or lighten the mood or whatever. Some of them were understandable, like they have scenes that are just callbacks to the series where characters from the show are just standing around talking in totally unrelated scenes, that were only shot so people can go "Hey, I remember that character! Things I know!".

e: My favorite of the excluded scenes was one where Agent Chet actually gets into that fistfight with the rear end in a top hat sheriff. It's such a well choreographed fight scene and goes on almost as long as the They Live brawl.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 19, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I'm going to watch Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces, I guess. I thought it would be just some outtakes, but it looks like there are plenty of interesting scenes in there.

I watched it a few years ago, it's a curio more than anything. I think it's edited somewhat chronologically but it doesn't really work as a standalone thing.

It's an amazing restoration though if you can get the 1080p Blu Ray version.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Fartbox posted:

ugly rear end special snowflake films so good

:chloe:

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i hate josh and everyone in rlm except jay does too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PostNouveau posted:

Anything they can post random screencaps of. I saw some dude the other day saying GotG's visuals were unimaginative and dull compared to Man of Steel.
That and they like to bring up car destruction in Marvel movies because apparently they want to just see massive amounts of people dying in the streets in The Avengers. This is of course reveals how our culture is desensitized to violence much like how no one cares when civilians are blown up by drone strikes. There was one goon who said how Captain America Civil War was facisitic and morally corrupting.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

There was one goon who said how Captain America Civil War was facisitic and morally corrupting.

Tbf, anyone on captain America's side is morally retarded

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fartbox posted:

David Lynch is trash

Either you haven't seen The Elephant Man or you have terrible taste.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Drunken Baker posted:

I roll this one out whenever CineD comes up, but their reading into "The Cabin in the Woods" was spectacular.

See, the Elder Gods who will destroy the world are us, the movie-going public. We have in our hands the power to destroy the world of cinema if we choose... And we will rebel and "wake up" if we don't get the same offerings every year, much like the sacrifices within the film. The Gods waking up in the film is Joss Whedon's statement against modern movie making and ergo...

That's barely even subtext, it's literally the plot of the movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

I saw Mullholland Drive like a dozen years ago, and I remember it being boring and making no sense.

That's the only David Lynch movie I've seen.

It's a good movie with bomb-rear end titties.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I never watched Twin Peaks until last year, loved it, but have been putting off watching Fire Walk with Me because I heard it isn't good.

Guess I'll need to watch it now.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I loved Twin Peaks but I'm not interested in Fire Walk With Me at all. I guess I feel I got everything I needed from the story, if I watch that movie I'm just going to have more questions than answers.

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 19, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've found a fan edit of Fire Walk With me with all the Missing Pieces edited in. It's more than 3 hours long. Wish me luck.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
This video is a good example of why Josh is in the group. Jay likes him because he can have this kind of conversation with him. It's hard to find people on your same level about poo poo you like to nerd out about, so when you do find that person you want to keep them around.

naem
May 29, 2011

Fartbox posted:

David Lynch is trash

There was once a much stronger cultural sense of what was "normal" and that meant movies were all bland and same-y. Back when lynch was new he made dreamy surreal movie scenes that commented on that, in a clever way that hadn't been done before, with really strong visuals.

Today we feel nostalgic for it- "yay it's trippy movie guy" Ironically today it makes us remember a better more innocent time (even though that time is what he was rebelling against)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Drunken Baker posted:

I roll this one out whenever CineD comes up, but their reading into "The Cabin in the Woods" was spectacular.

See, the Elder Gods who will destroy the world are us, the movie-going public. We have in our hands the power to destroy the world of cinema if we choose... And we will rebel and "wake up" if we don't get the same offerings every year, much like the sacrifices within the film. The Gods waking up in the film is Joss Whedon's statement against modern movie making and ergo...

There's definitely some pretty solid reasoning behind "the elder gods are really the audience" from the film itself (like when Bradley Whitford's character says "we're not the only ones watching"), but they are definitely taking the metaphor too far with the idea that it's literally 1:1 them "waking up" and us as an audience destroying popular cinema. (The giant gently caress-off fist at the end can definitely be read as a "there, now top that" move, though.)

Drunken Baker posted:

To tie this all back into RLM, they always get asked on Previously Recorded if studying film is a good thing to do. The answer is always yes... BUT only study the technical side of film making. If you go down the rabbit hole of dissecting film as an art form you'll end up as a loving weirdo who think "White Chicks" is the greatest films ever made because of *bullshit reasons*

Conversely, I've heard that if you're going to get an MFA in filmmaking, it's better to have studied film theory in your undergrad than to have a purely tech-focused bachelor's degree, as the purely tech-focused undergrads can often end up floundering because they don't have a strong conceptual framework to work with when they are learning the technical side of things and making stuff as part of their masters program.

So basically, if you only get a bachelor's in film studies that's all film theory and no tech, then you're gonna end up like a ridiculous CD poster spinning everything into Marxist bullshit. But if you get an MFA (which will almost always be tech-focused unless your film school is a scam) and only had a film tech background, you'll end up a hollow Zach Snyder who knows how to make cool looking stuff but doesn't know how to do anything else (like tell a story or create compelling characters).

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 19, 2017

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Josh sucks but you can tell from everyone's interactions that they're still friends as opposed to the Best of the Worst with Max Landis where Rich looks like he can barely contain strangling Max anytime he opens his mouth.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

To tie this all back into RLM, they always get asked on Previously Recorded if studying film is a good thing to do. The answer is always yes... BUT only study the technical side of film making. If you go down the rabbit hole of dissecting film as an art form you'll end up as a loving weirdo who think "White Chicks" is the greatest films ever made because of *bullshit reasons*

:drat: Nice.

Imo analyzing films in this manner is fine but only under the circumstances of being really really high amongst friends.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation posted:

Josh sucks but you can tell from everyone's interactions that they're still friends as opposed to the Best of the Worst with Max Landis where Rich looks like he can barely contain strangling Max anytime he opens his mouth.

Rich was just jealous that Max got more of Mike's attention than him.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I used to think David Lynch did the best dream sequences, but I watched through the whole season of Legion (loving horrible show about an x-man) and there are some dream sequences in there that are exactly what a nightmare feels like.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

a bone to pick posted:

I used to think David Lynch did the best dream sequences, but I watched through the whole season of Legion (loving horrible show about an x-man) and there are some dream sequences in there that are exactly what a nightmare feels like.

Try watching Phantasm, the whole movie feels like a dream, it owns.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So Alien: Covenant was kind of okay, I guess.

Spoilers below, I guess.

It had some fun stuff, lots of gore, though the cgi on some of it didn't look all that great, but in general when people were killed they were torn the gently caress up.

Some of the scenes with David were fun an his whole evil research and breeding program to create the alien had some neat visuals to it.

The last 20 minutes or so were kind of a drag though, as it felt both unnecessary and rushed ("we gotta wrap up this movie somehow") especially as the twist was pretty obvious and they were so loving coy about it. Most annoying thing though was how it seemed like they wanted the last 20 minutes to be all reference to Alien and Aliens. You have the alien running around on the ship and it being motiontracked, and there's two separate scenes in these last 20 minutes where they kill the alien with construction equipment, which got pretty stupid. Could have just made them end up on the ship and the alien not be there, since it didn't really matter in the end really.

Laugh-out-loud moments:

That one woman's head just bobbing around in the fountain after she was killed, I think they showed a shot of that two or three times and I found it kind of comical.

After the first alien is born, David teaches it to stand and stretch its arms out, and it looks so dumb, like a stupid little stickman (also newborn alien was more of serpent/worm kind of thing in the original, not just a thin miniature alien stickman)

David smuggling alien embyos aboard the ship in his mouth and just vomiting them up at the end like a bird. Laughed at the second one, was hoping for a third.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

vermin posted:

Jodorowsky is more fun to think about than to watch. He's the filmmaker equivalent of a concept art book. What could have been will always be more engaging than what ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Paladinus posted:

Fire Walk With Me was a bit of a mess, unfortunately, only slightly redeemed by some cool-looking scenes at which Lynch excels.
Also, David Bowie was in it.

The cut of the film with the missing scenes added back in is pure kino

The David Bowie and the Convenience Store scene is a highlight

• Locked thread