Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ex post facho posted:

any polling around a generic DSA vs. generic dem?

polling costs money, and dsa doesn't have enough name recognition for "generic dsa" to mean anything to most people yet anyway

ask again in 3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
fair enough

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What's DSA membership now? 20,000 nationwide? 40,000?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

24k as of a few days ago iirc

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

J E T S JEETS JEETS JEETS

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/anastasiakeeley/status/888443343696429056

I think you'll find forcing prisoners to work is extremely good and not at all slavery

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
of course both cohen and cooper (the only two dems in tennessee) voted in favor of ice reauthorization.

good job, jerks, way to really help out on that whole brand differentiation thing.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Agean90 posted:

I think you'll find forcing prisoners to work is extremely good and not at all slavery

the 13th amendment literally says criminals can be slaves

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

bump_fn posted:

nonsense fellow hillarybot slavery is bad and prisoner work programs are good therefore prisoner work programs arnt slavery!!!

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

ex post facho posted:

any polling around a generic DSA vs. generic dem?
DSA isn't a political party though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
oh i thought it was, welp

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's cheap enough that we've had "donate some $$$ to make PPP ask this question" threads

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bump_fn posted:

It's a long standing tradition that helps save us money

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Agean90 posted:

lol I work with a former guard from there (idiot). It's basically a gulag.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Feinstein is probably totally safe, unfortunately

CA is a big state, which makes it difficult to campaign in, and the jungle primary system (created by ballot initiative, of course) is a tremendous advantage for her

turns out that both the Dems and the GOP were also insane scam artists, so she's in good company

I think the jungle primary idiocy could actually aid a challenger. Republicans all know and hate Feinstein (mostly for imagined reasons) and might well vote for a different Dem just out of spite. Trick is finding a charismatic & non-insane progressive who can rally the huge and disparate groups of lefties in the state and also raise the many, many millions necessary to knife her.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
keith ellison is on twitter explaining that "better skills" represents free access to both education and vocational training and such; he felt that "better education" wouldn't have gotten the point across as well as it would have implied a more limited focus on just the grade school -> college track

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

I think the jungle primary idiocy could actually aid a challenger. Republicans all know and hate Feinstein (mostly for imagined reasons) and might well vote for a different Dem just out of spite. Trick is finding a charismatic & non-insane progressive who can rally the huge and disparate groups of lefties in the state and also raise the many, many millions necessary to knife her.

California republicans would rather cut their guts out in the voting booth and bleed out than vote for a democrat

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venuz Patrol posted:

keith ellison is on twitter explaining that "better skills" represents free access to both education and vocational training and such; he felt that "better education" wouldn't have gotten the point across as well as it would have implied a more limited focus on just the grade school -> college track

just say free public college you goober.

free college. free healthcare. free money.

democrats 2020: free stuff for poor people, and gently caress you

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GalacticAcid posted:

What's DSA membership now? 20,000 nationwide? 40,000?

https://twitter.com/AnchorageDSA/status/887203814540955648
https://twitter.com/AnchorageDSA/status/887216615640584192

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

Normal brain: pay for college
Large brain: free college
Galactic brain: college pays you

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/888460204823592960

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, free public college wouldn't really solve our educational problem by itself, even if it would be an excellent start due to not putting the people it leaves completely unprepared for their lives in crippling debt for no reason. Keith seems to be saying that they're trying to include it as part of a wider strategy.

"Vocational training" doesn't just mean making coding an elective. My wife is a school counselor, and she's gone on tours of trade-schools, and according to her if you go to one of these and get trained as a plumber or HVAC or something you can easily end up with a full-time job that pays more than hers does, and hers required a master's degree. I'm in favor of vocational tracks becoming a more accessible thing, and making it less shameful not to get a Bachelor's degree you have no need or intention of using.

The problem here of course is making that idea which I struggled to articulate in a poorly-written paragraph clear from one-third of a slogan.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Normal brain: pay for college
Large brain: free college
Galactic brain: college pays you

so you're encouraging more people go into stem?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

What does the second tweet say? I can't read it.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/JonathanCohn/status/888028868782764032

:chaostrump:

Venuz Patrol posted:

luv you keith but " free access to both education and vocational training" could mean just about anything coming from establishment dems.

FREE access to unsubsidized loans for startup founders!!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
DSA memes are on point but spelling it "alot" is problematic as heck

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

luv you keith but " free access to both education and vocational training" could mean just about anything coming from establishment dems.

FREE access to unsubsidized loans for startup founders!!

I mean, yeah, all we have to go on is the slogan and Ellison's tweeted explanation

There isn't any information on the actual platform behind the slogan yet; it could be good or it could be bad

but if Keith is behind it it probably deserves a LITTLE benefit-of-the-doubt :shrug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agean90 posted:

indeed i too cannot differentiate between prison labor and voluntary work-release programs

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

loquacius posted:

but if Keith is behind it it probably deserves a LITTLE benefit-of-the-doubt :shrug:

the D&D Bad Dems thread has informed me hes a neoliberal shill, actually

because boy if you think this is the suck zone, youve obviously never read the D&D equivalent

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

paranoid randroid posted:

i just looked this up and that's the correct way to spell it, sorry

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ugh I am assailed with existential dread and hopelessness for the future

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

indeed i too cannot differentiate between prison labor and voluntary work-release programs

:eyepop:

hoo boy this here is a take

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

paranoid randroid posted:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

i just looked this up and that's the correct way to spell it, sorry

n-no... no! it cant be!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ah see they CHOSE to work for free (under threat of more jail time), so it's not slavery at all!

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Ugh I am assailed with existential dread and hopelessness for the future

cheer up, that retard spicer resigned

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the bitcoin of weed posted:

ah see they CHOSE to work for free (under threat of more jail time), so it's not slavery at all!

yes that's definitely how work release functions you nailed it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Scent of Worf posted:

cheer up, that retard spicer resigned

this is exactly why im sad

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
spicy time is canceled forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HP Hovercraft, my hot take is that if the Thirteenth Amendment specifically lists something as the only legal type of slavery, it is slavery

Another hot take is that if you are so het-up about people saying Hillary Clinton owned slaves that you are willing to invade the suck zone so you can melt down over it without people yelling at you for making non-joke posts in the Trump thread you may want to consider reevaluating your hill-death policy

• Locked thread