Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
COD has always had pretty good set pieces. That's all it is really, that's part of where criticism comes from. ITs just set piece to set piece. COD4 did it the best, really. It also handles itself the best, and takes it self the right amount of serious. The later games being a direct continuation feel really weird and unplanned, though MahWah2s campaign is hilarious all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MW2 has a really neat coop missions that plays off the AC-130 thing, one player is in the plane, the other on foot.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Alteisen posted:

MW2 has a really neat coop missions that plays off the AC-130 thing, one player is in the plane, the other on foot.

This is the most fun I've ever had in a co-op game. A lot of people don't realize that the dude on the ground has a laser attached to his gun so he can point out targets to the AC-130 overhead, which is super useful.

It has a sister mission where the guy overhead just has a Black Hawk and a minigun, which is still super fun but not quite as large-scale.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Varjon posted:

I've also been playing this for the first time lately. I enjoy how there's an assault rifle in every room of Adam's apartment except the bathroom.

I also like how every time you have a pissing match with Pritchard in his office, you can steal his candy bar on the way out. It fits perfectly with their petty slapfights.

Jensen should watch more classic films, he'd know that the one place you DO want an assault rifle is in the bathroom, in case someone comes looking for a watch.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

And if you check your email the super wrote you an angry message about how that was a rare mirror that's gonna be hard/expensive to replace, and I think implies that he's smashed previous mirrors too. :haw:

It's pretty cute that they managed to make a character-building moment out of the fact that their engine couldn't handle a mirror.

I loved in the original Deus Ex that all the mirrors worked (even shiny marble floors would let you see reflections in it) and they even went to the trouble of animating the JC Denton reflection to have animations for picking up and carrying things to match you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh snap, that's Jhen Moran from Monster Hunter. Guess they copied BoF!

I love when you can tell when different games share art team members. Like how the T'Lan from Namco's Breakdown and the Apparoid from Namco's Starfox: Assault have almost identical designs only one is humans and the other is insects and spaceships.

SpookyLizard posted:

COD has always had pretty good set pieces. That's all it is really, that's part of where criticism comes from. ITs just set piece to set piece. COD4 did it the best, really. It also handles itself the best, and takes it self the right amount of serious. The later games being a direct continuation feel really weird and unplanned, though MahWah2s campaign is hilarious all over the place.

The guys who directed Modern Warfare were fired after Modern Warfare 2 was finished, and it shows.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sad lions posted:

Glad they finally changed things a bit in 5 because dear god it was lame as poo poo having gunfights without any kind of soundtrack in the earlier games.

PYF game thing: almost everything about Breath of Fire 3 other than the awful master system (mostly that certain skills become impossible to get if you mess something up or level too high).
The dragon gene system was fantastic and I'd get excited on my first run whenever I spotted another gene crystal hidden away, wondering what badassery it might grant. I loved that you control Ryu seemingly from birth into adulthood and getting the shift in perspective when you reappear as an adult.
And while it's your standard fair 'god is the last boss' kinda thing, it never really has you saving the world or averting any crisis.
The whole thing is a pilgrimage more than anything else and even when confronted at the end you have a choice and fighting it out isn't even really presented as guaranteed to be the wisest course of action.

Similar sentiments toward BOF4 except in that it had a better party swapping and master system but unfortunately a weaker dragon one.

BoF 3 is one of my favorite PS1 games. I like 4 a whole lot too (and 1 and 2 for that matter; haven't played DQ). I just love how the whole setting goes from bucolic countryside to mechanized city to actual god-built space station. And you're absolutely right that the whole thing is a pilgrimage more than anything else. You take on a lot of other responsibilities but for the most part you're just trying to find out who you are, and later, why someone tried to exterminate your entire species. The first time I finished the game I absolutely felt that surrendering to Myria was the right thing for Ryu to do. The only thing I wish was that you could have surrendered to Teepo instead of having to fight him and not being able to surrender until you meet Myria.

I don't mind the master system personally, mainly because if you use them right you can give Peco loving ridiculous HP.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's pretty cute that they managed to make a character-building moment out of the fact that their engine couldn't handle a mirror.

I loved in the original Deus Ex that all the mirrors worked (even shiny marble floors would let you see reflections in it) and they even went to the trouble of animating the JC Denton reflection to have animations for picking up and carrying things to match you.

I played Deus Ex just before Human Revolution came out and was caught off-guard when I ran past a mirror. I never expected a game that old to be able to pull that off realtime.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hell, they had working mirrors in Duke Nukem 3D. You needed to have a large blank sector behind the wall for the effect to work, for some reason, but work it did!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The mirrored surfaces in Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 are pretty funny; being on PS2, they did not have a lot of processing memory to work with and thus couldn't make dynamically rendered mirrors.

So to get around it, they just copied and pasted the level geometry and Crash's model and set them to follow the same animations. It looks like a mirror, but actually it's just the level placed like 2 pixels behind a transparent wibbly-wobbly texture.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

So to get around it, they just copied and pasted the level geometry and Crash's model and set them to follow the same animations. It looks like a mirror, but actually it's just the level placed like 2 pixels behind a transparent wibbly-wobbly texture.

That's actually a pretty common hack. I can't remember which, but I think I remember one of Duke Nukem 3D or Deus Ex or some other early 3D shooter doing the same thing; not actually having reflections but just doubling the room and having a second player model actor copying the inputs of the player in the other room.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The mirrored surfaces in Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 are pretty funny; being on PS2, they did not have a lot of processing memory to work with and thus couldn't make dynamically rendered mirrors.

PS1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noclipping into a mirror in Duke 3D was amazing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mario 64 did that, and then in Mario 64 DS it becomes one of the bonus stars: you use the vanish power to walk through the mirror and leave through the reflection of the entrance door.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's actually a pretty common hack. I can't remember which, but I think I remember one of Duke Nukem 3D or Deus Ex or some other early 3D shooter doing the same thing; not actually having reflections but just doubling the room and having a second player model actor copying the inputs of the player in the other room.

Reminds me of a thing in the old Doom engine, where you can place more than one player start for a specific player and you'll get a voodoo doll that can't move but will react to taking damage by damaging you back. One half of Final Doom takes advantage of that in its last level - there's a second player start in a tiny little room out in the middle of nowhere. There's also a series of platforms over lava right at the start, and you have to take a specific path over them to get across. Go the wrong way and you're teleported into that same tiny room as the voodoo doll and you telefrag yourself.

I remember reading some powerup in a recent Mario game was inspired by the same sort of error, someone placed two Marios in a level while testing and they thought "hey that's a cool idea".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kadorhal posted:

I remember reading some powerup in a recent Mario game was inspired by the same sort of error, someone placed two Marios in a level while testing and they thought "hey that's a cool idea".

Yeah there's a new powerup in Super Mario 3D World on WiiU called the double cherry that creates a clone of you that does what you do, but off to the left.

You can have more than one of them.
You can use them in multiplayer.
Everybody can have more than one of them :stare:

Last night we had 3 Marios, 3 Luigis and 2 Peaches, all with fire flower power. When you press the fire button, they all throw fireballs. It was glorious. :black101:

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah there's a new powerup in Super Mario 3D World on WiiU called the double cherry that creates a clone of you that does what you do, but off to the left.

Last night we had 3 Marios, 3 Luigis and 2 Peaches, all with fire flower power. When you press the fire button, they all throw fireballs. It was glorious. :black101:

Apparently that power-up originated from a development bug where the game would spawn the player in two different positions, and it played too well not to use.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roger Tangerines posted:

Apparently that power-up originated from a development bug where the game would spawn the player in two different positions, and it played too well not to use.

Yeah that's pretty much what the guy I quoted said :)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's probably been posted multiple times but I just got Watch_Dogs and it's a really neat feature. When you set a waypoint it not only maps it out as a coloured line on your mini-map, but also a blue line onscreen. Kind of like the objective beam in Dead Space (which is another small thing I loved).

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Zaphod42 posted:

SOUL FIST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkaI0_f7ek

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

CJacobs posted:

Sonic Adventure did this too. I think only one level used the reflections and you have to use it to avoid stepping on trap doors.

Banjo-Tooie also had it in one single room in Grunty Industries. The employee break room has a tiny mirror you can look through and if you use an attack that sends Kazooie's head poking out while pressed against it, the mirror Kazooie comes poking out. It was really neat discovering how they made the effect work as a kid!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The best use of that trick was definitely the mirror room in Silent Hill 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkYtflr1KsM

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That was a good one. Unnerved me like hell.
Speaking of which - one of my favorite scares in Silent Hill 2 is the pig squealing in the basement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oops.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
MahWahTwo actually has some surprising good little things. Mainly the entire plot. Obscured by exploding setpieces, violence, general mayhem, and further obfuscated by being mainly not in the game, the plot to the game is actually... kinda good. It's mostly implied, it's never truly stated outright, to the best I can remember, and it's almost entirely in subtext.

Basically the game starts off with them recounting the events of MW, and how despite the good guys winning, the people of Russia all fell for the horrible one armed guy we killed, and he became a national hero and yada yada. The Middle Eastern Country that you got nuked in is still kind of a general shithole and that we're still occupying. You take control of a soldier guy, get to do a tutorial to impress General Shepard, and then go Mission 1 to be selected for TOP SECRET MISSION. Wherein you get to be a sleeper agent and shoot up an airport in the BIG CONTROVERSY MISSION. At the end of it the bad guys kill you, revealing they knew you were traitor all along. You're a dead american and the media and russia generally blames america for everything.

Then you fail to stop the russians as some super HSLD RTTCQBMAN guys, Task Force 141 from dissecting a satellite and that allows them to compromise AMERICAN CYBERSPACE and launch an invasion. This is when the game is actually pretty great. You get to go full on WOLVERINES and repel paratrooper Russians from Godfearing American Soil with Keith David. Who frequently yells things like "RAMIREZ, FOUR TANGOS BY THE TACO JOINT!"

It's loving spectacular.

You bounce between Ramirez and Keith David clearing Russians out of really nice DC suburbs and ultimately find some dead russians who killed some VIP who are actually tattooed up spec-ops turned terrorists you used to roll with when you were the guy who already died.

You jump back to being the 141 guys who were characters in the first game to rescue another guy from the first game. You do some cool setpiece poo poo and end up stealing a russian nuke sub to nuke the DC area. Then you get to be a spaceman who dies and then you get to be on the ground when the power goes out and helicopters fall out of the sky. There's a couple of things like that. Cool EMP-related setpieces. You work to reclaim the White House without an electricity. The 141 dudes go and try to attack terrorist safehouse and get their datas. Setpieces abound, big DEFEND THE HOUSE siege mission. You get the data, leg it, catch a bullet, get dragged down to the hill to reinforcements, wherein your commander, that shepard guy, kills you and the other survivors after you give him the data. You corpses get burned and you're sorta still alive.

Some of the other 141 guys are at an airplane boneyard with some of shepards dudes to go kill the terrorist leader. They turn on you, you fight through a two way battle, escape, then go on a two man rampage to get revenge, kill shepard in a sandstorm, victory.

It's never outright stated, afaik, but Shepard is supposed to be in charge of the invading force in the first game, who get nuked. He gets pretty pissed off about this, especially since no one really super gives a gently caress, in wake of the massive turmoil in Russia. It's implied that Shepard had been helping the terrorists and leaking information to the russians, as he during the final fight setpiece he rants about creating a new wave of american patriots, people seeking revenge against russia, revitalizing the military, etc. He kills you because the data could implicate him, and you're the only witnesses to what 141 did, and thus without you he can rewrite history to whatever extent you like. He's one of the few people who knows who the sleeper agent is, he's sort of incharge of 141 who are the people who go after the satellite and do a bunch of other poo poo. His whole play is to kill you guys off and then be able to rewrite history to induce his next wave of american patriots and kick teh poo poo out of russia.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I thought Black Ops 1 had a legit good story, too, as far as video game stories go, even if it was basically a mix of the Manchurian Candidate and an 80's Tom Clancy novel.

And Black Ops 2 did the "your choices change the story" thing much better than most single-player games that use that as a selling point (looking at you here, DX:HR)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

And Black Ops 2 did the "your choices change the story" thing much better than most single-player games that use that as a selling point (looking at you here, DX:HR)

Black Ops 2 is the best CoD purely because its clearly the point that Treyarch stopped giving a gently caress about SERIOUS STORIES ABOUT WAR and started going as over-the-top as humanly possible.

My favorite little thing about BO2 is nerds :qq: over the after-credits scene.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

1stGear posted:

My favorite little thing about BO2 is nerds :qq: over the after-credits scene.

Don't explain what it is or link it for people who haven't played it or anything.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CJacobs posted:

Don't explain what it is or link it for people who haven't played it or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c27sP1NnLCs#start=0:00;end=0:14;cycles=-1;autoreplay=false;showoptions=false

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

After the gritty story of revenge, betrayal, and manipulation playing out over several decades finally ends, usually leaving the world a worse place and several main characters dead, credits roll, followed by all the main characters, good and bad, living and dead, rocking the gently caress out at an Avenged Sevenfold concert, with the main villain on guitar and his arch-nemesis, one of the main characters of BLOPS 1, on drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ayaPJuIZg

It's hilariously cheesy and awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright that's pretty fuckin great.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
BLOPS1 was a legit like love letter to eighties action flicks.

BLOPS2 was dumb what with having the ULTRA SUPER MASTERMIND VILLAIN and all that poo poo that that entails. The story changes I found to be pretty lame too, because some of them were like random changes and kinda lovely. Also the villain was really lame and god did I hate him. Not like handsome jack hate, just like "ugh this guy is so boring".

The end credits thing was stupid and lame, but amusing for nerd rage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More games need to end with dance parties. Bayonetta and Saints Row 4 both did.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

haveblue posted:

Did Fahrenheit also have dancing characters after the game or was it just in the extras menu or something? (Not going to dig the game out and check because... it's loving Fahrenheit).

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Let's not be forgetting Paper Mario's goofing around with that technique as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHf6MZCfqjQ&t=227s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

After the gritty story of revenge, betrayal, and manipulation playing out over several decades finally ends, usually leaving the world a worse place and several main characters dead, credits roll, followed by all the main characters, good and bad, living and dead, rocking the gently caress out at an Avenged Sevenfold concert, with the main villain on guitar and his arch-nemesis, one of the main characters of BLOPS 1, on drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ayaPJuIZg

It's hilariously cheesy and awesome.

I also love the whole part where he gets out of the wheelchair "I'm just loving lazy."

Another kind of funny thing about Blops2 was how Activision advertised the hell out of it as a serious look at an upcoming global conflict when really its just a straightforward revenge story with barely any actual "war" in it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It really would have made the game a lot better if these were actually in the game and not just extras :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ7sd9nYQAE

Then again it would still be poo poo. When you improve upon an abysmal game the end result still won't be good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

Don't forget mother fuckin' GOD HAND. Yes the caps are necessary when referring to GOD HAND.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did Fahrenheit also have dancing characters after the game or was it just in the extras menu or something? (Not going to dig the game out and check because... it's loving Fahrenheit).

It was extra. You had to collect bonus points throughout the game and unlock it. It was called Da Hidden Dance Floor and features David Cage grinding up on Carla in her sleepwear.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not sure how common this sort of thing is in race sims, but in Assetto Corsa if you just sit in neutral gear and keep the engine revs in the red, your engine will gradually get damaged. If you're flying down a straight at 200 kmph and in 6th gear and then instantly slam down to 1st gear, it will surely just kill your engine entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

haveblue posted:

Bayonetta... hard to say in a game with GIANT HAIR DRAGONS TEARING DEMONS' LIMBS OFF etc that you can appreciate the subtleties, but it's so refined and great.

One thing I like: Bayonetta has a fondness for lollipops. You can gain a stat boost if you hold the controller button corresponding to the lollipop she's eating in any given cutscene.

• Locked thread