Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

PCOS Bill posted:

Talk to your mom when you clock out.

PCOS Bill posted:

Pffffffffffhahahaha okay

Hello friend, I am Sam Walton. I'd just like to thank you for sticking up for corporate interests in this thread where retail employees vent about their frustrations. It's important that they be reminded at all times that their interests should be subordinated to mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiebeard
Jun 29, 2011

by astral
The U.S. Department of Labor states under the Fair Labor Standards Act: "Unauthorized extensions of authorized work breaks need not be counted as hours worked when the employer has expressly and unambiguously communicated to the employee that the authorized break may only last for a specific length of time, that any extension of the break is contrary to the employer's rules, and any extension of the break will be punished."

It doesn't make it any less lovely, but there's the U.S. law anyway. Also it was a lot harder than it should have been for me to find that.

This thread reminds me of my time in retail as an assistant manager and I'm so glad I'm about to take the certification test for IT work. Shine on, and keep your head up guys.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Underwear posted:

Enhydra lutris is the greatest asset this dead-rear end forum has, I won't hear any poo poo-talking of him or her.
I am a Male.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I helpfully fixed your post and made it a better post.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

One of our overnight stockers got fired last night for taking super long breaks, among other things. I wonder if they'll take the time to beg the store manager for their job.

Anyway, last month I was promoted to the overnight support manager position and despite having to essentially pick up after everybody, its not that bad. I was worried since I have no confidence in myself and thought everybody would ignore me at all times because I'm a giant fraud, but I guess they don't care or something. I actually didn't want the job but I was kinda pushed into it despite being pretty much autism supreme. There are a couple things that suck though.

Thanks to a new initiative at Walmart, they have this CAP team which kinda takes over what inventory management does, but they do it during the day I guess. Most of the time they end up pissing off the overnight assistant manager because they have to run back to the upc office to let people in to get handhelds from 5:00 on. They end up pissing me off because they spend most of their time standing in my god drat way when I'm bringing skids to the back room. To be honest, their new method of reverse picking things doesn't seem to do much to alleviate how much overstock we have on a nightly basis.

Besides that, our unloaders now work from 2 to 11, and there is supposed to be like sixteen of them because half the unloaders are supposed to go stock the consumables side of the store before overnight gets there, after the truck is halfway unloaded. So far, I think they've hired like one, maybe two new unloaders, bringing the total up to like 6.

The thing that is really bad though, is now support managers aren't allowed to hold onto any keys to the office or bay doors or the key drop box. Which doesn't make sense to anybody on overnights, because the unloaders can sign out keys to the bay doors even when there isn't an unloading supervisor there but support managers, who are one step below the assistant manager, can't. Not that it matters though, I figured out that the key that opens the electronics cages also opens the bay doors and theres a different key on the second electronics ring that can open the key box.

The only thing I can figure is there was a miscommunication because they made this new position during the day that is called a support manager, but all they're supposed to do is like zone aisles and get rid of the carts that gather around the service desk.

Actually, nevermind, the thing that sucks is the earpiece they give you for the walkies is incredibly uncomfortable to wear and it makes my ear hurt :(

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

0 rows returned posted:

The only thing I can figure is there was a miscommunication because they made this new position during the day that is called a support manager, but all they're supposed to do is like zone aisles and get rid of the carts that gather around the service desk.

Our support managers' priorities are 1) Get the remix truck done 2) Current hourly crisis 3) Finish the picks 4) Return Carts. And consider yourself lucky that you're only light on unloaders. Our CAP 2 Team (not including unloaders) was just the support manager and two brand new hires. Unsurprisingly, no one really wants to work at a Walmart, let alone during the peak evening hours and then there's the expectation they get some poo poo done. Thankfully our unloaders are pretty motivated and none of them seem really upset about the switch in hours.

And yeah, how you got the position is how our support managers got it. The (previous) store manager basically said, "Do you want it? Good!"

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
My store is switching to that CAP business next week. I predict utter chaos. I'm consumables now but that position is going away so ??????. At least I'm already second shift so I guess I'll just be back room now. Maybe they'll let me wear jeans like the current unloaders do.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Why not treat workers with human decency and let them have a few minutes to speak with their loved ones?

Because you're at work to... get this... work. Not talk on the phone.

Devor posted:

Hello friend, I am Sam Walton. I'd just like to thank you for sticking up for corporate interests in this thread where retail employees vent about their frustrations. It's important that they be reminded at all times that their interests should be subordinated to mine.

On the clock, they sure should be.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Zeth posted:

My store is switching to that CAP business next week. I predict utter chaos. I'm consumables now but that position is going away so ??????. At least I'm already second shift so I guess I'll just be back room now. Maybe they'll let me wear jeans like the current unloaders do.

Don't you guys that wear jeans to work find them hot and heavy? I think I would. Even if I had the option I'd still be sticking to my light business trousers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today was the beginning of liquidation for my store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WISORijUJrg

Customers not understanding the "ALL SALES FINAL, NO REFUNDS" signs posted in front of the store and on every checkout lane and on their receipts, the complete absence of carts and everyone getting all pissy about it, the CONSTANT requests to price check stuff, and even better the people who will then try and get an even bigger discount on poo poo that is already discounted.

I have seen some poo poo

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Leal posted:

Customers not understanding the "ALL SALES FINAL, NO REFUNDS" signs

They understand, they just don't give a poo poo. 99.9% of the time "no refunds" means "bitch about it and you get a refund".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well thankfully our people up front are sticking to their guns and the managers are backing them up on that. I'm sure the people will get all pissy and will try going to another nearby store (jokes on them, the nearest one is about 40 miles and ITS ALSO SHUTTING DOWN, besides the fact the receipt doesn't have the barcode that allows refunds).

loving vultures.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

PCOS Bill posted:

Are you an assistant manager

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PCOS Bill posted:

Yes, you're at work to work, but does that mean that there can be no deviation from that? Your coworkers/subordinates (not sure of your position) are people too, and sometimes family stuff comes up. If you were on your break and when your precise 15 minutes were up your mom was in tears talking about long-simmering resentments between your dad and her might be splitting up the marriage, wouldn't you stay on the phone?

A little leeway and respect is a great way to get people's best efforts. Treat them like professional adults and you'll get a much better response than if you punish them like recalcitrant schoolchildren who were hiding in the playground when recess was over.

I've been both manager and subordinate at several businesses, by the way. I've seen both ways happen, and the way you're treating that person is a great way to drive morale through the loving floor.

e: this attitude is why this thread exists, by the way.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 31, 2015

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
A man accused my company of size discrimination because we "only" rent up to a 74 jacket/68 waist.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yes, you're at work to work, but does that mean that there can be no deviation from that? Your coworkers/subordinates (not sure of your position) are people too, and sometimes family stuff comes up. If you were on your break and when your precise 15 minutes were up your mom was in tears talking about long-simmering resentments between your dad and her might be splitting up the marriage, wouldn't you stay on the phone?

A little leeway and respect is a great way to get people's best efforts. Treat them like professional adults and you'll get a much better response than if you punish them like recalcitrant schoolchildren who were hiding in the playground when recess was over.

I've been both manager and subordinate at several businesses, by the way. I've seen both ways happen, and the way you're treating that person is a great way to drive morale through the loving floor.

There is a girl I work with who insisted she was being targetted by the manager for write-ups, so she was denied a transfer to another store. That he said she kept leaving early and that wasn't acceptable and....and she admitted that once in a while (like once a week) she miiiight leave ten minutes early if it was slow. But she wouldn't ask, she would just close her register and leave. So the manager was right, but she insisted she only left a few times and it was slow so who cares? This came to a head when she had a family emergency and needed to leave four hours early...and the manager refused, saying if she did leave she would be fired because of all her earlier going home early.

She's also confided in me that her 9 year old son has been suspended twice this school year already. School has been in session a month. He was suspended last quarter too, for refusing to listen to the teacher, for being disruptive and wandering the halls, and finally telling the principal he wouldn't get in trouble because he wasn't afraid of the man. The guy called the cops, according to my coworker, downplaying the fact her kid was loving running through the hallways, destroying poo poo, and screaming at teachers.

This last suspension was because he was caught throwing food in the cafeteria. Grapes. "loving grapes!" she told me. "Like their floors aren't loving dirty, they have to clean it all anyway, and now they want him expelled!"

It's like....I can't even. Nothing is ever her fault or her kid's fault. I almost want to see her as a customer somewhere and how bad the poo poo can really get.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I got an attendance point at my last job for coming back from lunch at exactly 7 seconds after the 3 minute grace period had forsaken me. They happen to be in the same building of my current employer, and actually raised wages higher than where I'm working now, but I wouldn't go back because of that poo poo exactly.

Also, Bude is a colossal dickhole. Read his post history. I mean, maybe employers in Australia are legitimately deserving of such strict adherence to things like time clocks, shrink (theft) policy, and dress codes. I wouldn't know because I've only ever lived in the states. Anyone that tries to apply the thinking in a place where the minimum wage is actually somewhat close to a living wage to the US is intellectually dishonest.

All that being said, I definitely feel like what you're saying doesn't apply you're being counted on to perform a duty that would fall upon someone else's shoulders, like in the post Bude quoted. That guy was a loving rear end in a top hat, full stop. There's clearly a middle ground between policing every scant second spent not working and not on an official break, and just "taking a poo poo" for giant portions of time where you're actually needed. Morale breaks down in either case.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Cowslips Warren posted:

There is a girl I work with who insisted she was being targetted by the manager for write-ups, so she was denied a transfer to another store. That he said she kept leaving early and that wasn't acceptable and....and she admitted that once in a while (like once a week) she miiiight leave ten minutes early if it was slow. But she wouldn't ask, she would just close her register and leave. So the manager was right, but she insisted she only left a few times and it was slow so who cares? This came to a head when she had a family emergency and needed to leave four hours early...and the manager refused, saying if she did leave she would be fired because of all her earlier going home early.

She's also confided in me that her 9 year old son has been suspended twice this school year already. School has been in session a month. He was suspended last quarter too, for refusing to listen to the teacher, for being disruptive and wandering the halls, and finally telling the principal he wouldn't get in trouble because he wasn't afraid of the man. The guy called the cops, according to my coworker, downplaying the fact her kid was loving running through the hallways, destroying poo poo, and screaming at teachers.

This last suspension was because he was caught throwing food in the cafeteria. Grapes. "loving grapes!" she told me. "Like their floors aren't loving dirty, they have to clean it all anyway, and now they want him expelled!"

It's like....I can't even. Nothing is ever her fault or her kid's fault. I almost want to see her as a customer somewhere and how bad the poo poo can really get.

That sounds like a really irresponsible person raising a really irresponsible child. I would have put them on final warning, too - if you want to leave early, clear it with a manager!

They were setting up a pattern of negligence. That's when I start to retract the treatment of them as professional, because they clearly aren't, and can't stand up the responsibility of such treatment. However, a few extra minutes on break for a family phone call, not a big deal.

That kid is going to be a terrible customer some day, and an even worse employee.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mooktastical posted:

I got an attendance point at my last job for coming back from lunch at exactly 7 seconds after the 3 minute grace period had forsaken me. They happen to be in the same building of my current employer, and actually raised wages higher than where I'm working now, but I wouldn't go back because of that poo poo exactly.

Also, Bude is a colossal dickhole. Read his post history. I mean, maybe employers in Australia are legitimately deserving of such strict adherence to things like time clocks, shrink (theft) policy, and dress codes. I wouldn't know because I've only ever lived in the states. Anyone that tries to apply the thinking in a place where the minimum wage is actually somewhat close to a living wage to the US is intellectually dishonest.

All that being said, I definitely feel like what you're saying doesn't apply you're being counted on to perform a duty that would fall upon someone else's shoulders, like in the post Bude quoted. That guy was a loving rear end in a top hat, full stop. There's clearly a middle ground between policing every scant second spent not working and not on an official break, and just "taking a poo poo" for giant portions of time where you're actually needed. Morale breaks down in either case.

Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone and multi quoting is a massive pain in the rear end.

If you are slacking on your duties, you deserve to be reprimanded, and your behavior needs to be altered. I completely agree. I don't think being a stickler is an effective way to ensure a happy, hard working staff - instead, make a note of when they mess up and who it affects, and if it isn't a solitary incident, explain to them that each employee needs to pull their weight. That's one write up. They are making work harder for those around them, and sometimes they need that said out loud before they really understand it. If they don't change, start looking for replacements.

Essentially, I'm advocating a management style based less on restrictions and violations and more based on overall performance and responsibility. If each member of your team is essentially reliable, even if one has a bad day or week, the others will be there to pick up the slack, and they know that that will be reciprocated if need be.

I do agree that the guy in the quote was being a dick, upon rereading. I would start trying to replace that person.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone and multi quoting is a massive pain in the rear end.

If you are slacking on your duties, you deserve to be reprimanded, and your behavior needs to be altered. I completely agree. I don't think being a stickler is an effective way to ensure a happy, hard working staff - instead, make a note of when they mess up and who it affects, and if it isn't a solitary incident, explain to them that each employee needs to pull their weight. That's one write up. They are making work harder for those around them, and sometimes they need that said out loud before they really understand it. If they don't change, start looking for replacements.

Essentially, I'm advocating a management style based less on restrictions and violations and more based on overall performance and responsibility. If each member of your team is essentially reliable, even if one has a bad day or week, the others will be there to pick up the slack, and they know that that will be reciprocated if need be.

I do agree that the guy in the quote was being a dick, upon rereading. I would start trying to replace that person.

Yep. The prisoner paradox is a big deal. The most preferred situation is where everyone is acting in good faith towards common goals, and anyone that egregiously or habitually defects can get hosed.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mooktastical posted:

Yep. The prisoner paradox is a big deal. The most preferred situation is where everyone is acting in good faith towards common goals, and anyone that egregiously or habitually defects can get hosed.

Finding good workers is just as important, if not more so, than disciplining your workers properly, I think. The problem is that it costs money to hire and train people, and the interview(s) don't always reflect the final quality of the work.

Retail sucks from both ends.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

The Lord Bude posted:

Don't you guys that wear jeans to work find them hot and heavy? I think I would. Even if I had the option I'd still be sticking to my light business trousers.

Sometimes it gets a little annoying in the summer, but overall it's not an issue. Plus the jeans/khaki colored jean analogues wear out a bit more slowly, I've found, which plus the fact that they fit me better makes it worthwhile.

Apparently at least one of the CAP changes is actually going to make poo poo more efficient after all, and people are making noise about the second shift cap crew getting a 2 dollar raise because we will technically be unloaders. I may actually be tentatively optimistic now.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I wear jeans to work, but they're small stores without a back stockroom or much movement. When I wore khakis, I bought pretty heavy Carhartts that were very sturdy, but a bit warm. It hasn't bothered me, but I'm used to heavy pants because I don't really wear shorts (I'm self conscious about my huge hambone legs), even growing up in Southern California.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Mooktastical posted:

Nope. The Big Two grocery chains in Australia are causing massive documented issues nationwide from casual employees, to the suppliers, to the national economy itself. Not sure why they're defending them so hard.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
A woman just came in looking for a military ball dress. She had an infant that started screaming at the top of its lungs every moment she was out of sight, spent twenty minutes trying on dresses, and didn't buy one. Twenty minutes of a screaming infant for no sale, and a migraine for my trouble. :suicide:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Attention Walmart customers: You can still only get refunds at the Customer Service Desk. This has not changed and I can't fathom why you think shouting that you want your ten cents back ~*NOW*~ means I'm going to hand you a goddamn dime.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm leaving a position at A Retail Establishment for a position at A Competing Retail Establishment that offers the kind of schedule that I want/need and a whole lot more money. I'm sort of a reformed kool-aid drinker of first said company and I have feelings about leaving. There are people there who have genuinely invested time and effort into my development in that store and my roles in that store, and there are an equal number of people there who don't give a poo poo about how big of a deal to the store I am in/out of my own mind.

I'm wondering if anyone else who's ever had to leave for greener pastures has any advice about leaving with grace and not too much on your conscious.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I'm leaving a position at A Retail Establishment for a position at A Competing Retail Establishment that offers the kind of schedule that I want/need and a whole lot more money. I'm sort of a reformed kool-aid drinker of first said company and I have feelings about leaving. There are people there who have genuinely invested time and effort into my development in that store and my roles in that store, and there are an equal number of people there who don't give a poo poo about how big of a deal to the store I am in/out of my own mind.

I'm wondering if anyone else who's ever had to leave for greener pastures has any advice about leaving with grace and not too much on your conscious.

A clean break is the best way to go. What it comes down to, is that you're not there anymore and you need to look out for what's ultimately best for you (ie., better hours and pay) and that includes not worrying about them and focusing on your current job. Yeah, it's hard to just drop "those feelings" but it'll fade over time. I had the same line of thought when I jumped because we were always understaffed and I was just dumb enough to shoulder quite a bit of work for someone that wasn't full time. But what it came down to is that if they REALLY wanted me to stay, they would have given out raises a bit more often than, say, 20 cents every 2-2.5 years. And, when the overnight shift's block of hours was pushed back an hour, they could have let me be one of the ones to also keep the old schedule, since I had legit reasons that management knew about, instead of basically being told "tough poo poo; deal with it." Once I got the better paying job, I told them I would try and do both but the more I thought about it, the more I questioned what the gently caress I was trying to accomplish. So I left on SUPER short notice and it has been over a month AND they're still standing. Coincidentally, your old place of business will still be there; just like poo poo kept rolling even when you had days off/vacation. And all that training they invested in you? You used it to work as best as you could in doing the job you had while you were there. So that sounds like a fair trade to me.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Do a decent job right up until your official last day, don't spike any merchandise on your way out the door, don't tell off any of your bosses no matter how much they deserve it.

For your own peace of mind, realize that your job is a business arrangement, not a marriage. You owe them nothing beyond the day-to-day work you've already given them for the day-to-day pay they gave you. You found a better arrangement with someone else that benefits you more, that is the end of the matter.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

So after nine months and an award for receiving customer compliments, I finally got my first complaint.

"What do you think about this?" the customer asks, while holding out a color card in front of my face without saying "excuse me" or anything. Just literally walks up behind me and shoves it in front of me to get my attention.

"What do you mean?"

She rolls her eyes and points at one of the three colors. "Is this that color they always use?"

"...Always use for what?"

She pulls out a cellphone (which I hate -- we can't match colors from cell phone pics and it's always a hassle customer who brings it up) and shows a picture of her wall. Naturally, the lighting is off, half the wall is in a shadow, and I don't know if it's natural or artificial light. All of these things can throw off a color, not to mention the camera/screen making their own adjustments. "Do these match?" She asks, placing the color next to the phone.

"I can't really tell from a cellphone picture. There's a lot of vari-"

"Well, don't you know what color this is?" she asks, pointing at the phone.

"No, I have no way to know what, exact, color that is from a picture."

She rolls her eyes again. "It's the color they use on every new house. We just moved in."

I made a 'what the gently caress' kind of face and looked at her. "There's no such thing as a color that's used on every single new home. If you bring me a sample in, I can match it exactly."

At this point, the man that was with her (I assume boyfriend or husband) gave a defeated sigh and walked away. From the looks of things, he's had this exact conversation before.

"How can I do that? It's on the wall," she states, as if putting paint on a wall made it an impenetrable barrier that you can't possibly remove.

"Just take a chip off the wall. If you're going to paint over it anyway, it doesn't matter, really."

At this point she pocketed her phone and put her hands up. "Never mind," she says, and walked away. Apparently she then spoke to manager and complained about me, who came and asked me what happened. Given that this is literally the first time a customer has had anything negative to say to me, it was shrugged off.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
The last time I got a complaint (like over 5 years ago), it was due to a conversation over the phone.

Me - :cool:
Customer - :byodame:

:byodame: Hi, do you have any hams left that are in your ad?

:cool: Yes, we have lots of those hams left.

:byodame: So you do? The ones that are listed at 99 cents/lb. I'd like to make sure you have some in stock before I head down to your store today.

:cool: Yes Ma'am, just got a shipment of about 500 hams, it'll last us for at least a 3 of 4 more days.

:byodame: I wanted specifically the butt portion hams and just wanted to make sure you won't run out.

:cool: There's no way we're running out rest of today or tomorrow.

:byodame: So you have plenty 99 cent hams? Not the spiral cut ones, but the halves that aren't cut?

:cool: Ma'am, we have so many back there than I know what to do with.

:byodame: Ok thanks, bye.

The conversation was a bit longer, but she just asked in a couple more different ways if we had those hams. Not even ten minutes later assistant store manager came back asking me if I had talked to a lady on the phone about hams. She called back to complain about not liking my attitude or something over the phone because of that last line I said. Then I got a lecture about how to talk to people. :rolleyes: I was really pissed off about it and because of this incident I never again used my name when I answer the phone.

ijii fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 3, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ijii posted:

The last time I got a complaint (like over 5 years ago), it was due to a conversation over the phone.

Me - :cool:
Customer - :byodame:

:byodame: Hi, do you have any hams left that are in your ad?

:cool: Yes, we have lots of those hams left.

:byodame: So you do? The ones that are listed at 99 cents/lb. I'd like to make sure you have some in stock before I head down to your store today.

:cool: Yes Ma'am, just got a shipment of about 500 hams, it'll last us for at least a 3 of 4 more days.

:byodame: I wanted specifically the butt portion hams and just wanted to make sure you won't run out.

:cool: There's no way we're running out rest of today or tomorrow.

:byodame: So you have plenty 99 cent hams? Not the spiral cut ones, but the halves that aren't cut?

:cool: Ma'am, we have so many back there than I know what to do with.

:byodame: Ok thanks, bye.

The conversation was a bit longer, but she just asked in a couple more different ways if we had those hams. Not even ten minutes later assistant store manager came back asking me if I had talked to a lady on the phone about hams. She called back to complain about not liking my attitude or something over the phone because of that last line I said. Then I got a lecture about how to talk to people. :rolleyes: I was really pissed off about it and because of this incident I never again used my name when I answer the phone.

Yes bud did you have hams?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Never ever use your name to answer the phone. Just say "Thank you for calling XYZ, how may I help you?" Also don't be a dick and use someone else's name who works there or a fake name. If someone from corporate calls, they won't really care that you're not using your name to answer the phone as long as you're doing it properly.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

It's great to not answer with a name because it gives you a good warning of the customer's attitude. Whenever I answer without a name, I either get a chill customer who doesn't notice/care they didn't get my name, or immediately get a snotty "WHO IS THIS? WHAT IS YOUR NAME?" and I know they're going to be a problem and can prepare myself.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

It's great to not answer with a name because it gives you a good warning of the customer's attitude. Whenever I answer without a name, I either get a chill customer who doesn't notice/care they didn't get my name, or immediately get a snotty "WHO IS THIS? WHAT IS YOUR NAME?" and I know they're going to be a problem and can prepare myself.
Yes, this exactly. There are plenty days at work where I'm a little on edge because I'm having to deal with whatever bullshit is going on, then I get that phone call:

"Hi, I'm calling about some meat I bought a couple days ago, what's your name?"
I take a big quiet deep breath to soothe nerves real quick because I know the person is going to complain, and reluctantly answer. "Hi, my name is ijii."
"Hi ijii, I'm just calling to let you know that the meat I cooked tasted like shoe leather"
From then on, I just go through the motions and tell them to get their money back or trade in for another piece of meat. Or worse, I have to listen to them rant for 5 to 10 minutes while my coworkers laugh at me as they listen to me repeat my apologies.

pkfan2004 posted:

Never ever use your name to answer the phone. Just say "Thank you for calling XYZ, how may I help you?" Also don't be a dick and use someone else's name who works there or a fake name. If someone from corporate calls, they won't really care that you're not using your name to answer the phone as long as you're doing it properly.
Just for clarification, I've never used someone else's name. I just don't answer the phone with a name.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Our sister stores are technically our customers too, even if they are part of the company. It's weird, but whatever.

So yesterday I have a delivery from a store to Bob's Discount Dildos, address 1234 Assfuck Lane. I get to Assfuck Lane and it's....an apartment complex. So I drive around the complex thinking maybe there is a small vendor working from his home, but I got no apartment number or building number. I drive for a bit, but because I am short on time, I mark the box as Bad Address and continue my route so my other deliveries aren't late. There were 40 different buildings with different numbers on every one and none of them were 1234 and no street was Assfuck Lane.

My dispatch agent says I did the right thing. Nobody has time for hunting over 5 minutes for an address.

My manager says I should have:

1. Called the customer direct to tell them I can't find their house
2. Called the store to ask for more information
3. Called dispatch to check my GPS and see if I am just missing it
4. Called the customer again

But this store in question always fucks up addresses. They put East instead of West, zeroes instead of 2s, etc. So when you call them the answer is always "I don't know, that's all I got," and then they whine and ask why I don't call the customer to ask for more info. BECAUSE MY JOB IS TO GET THE BOX FROM POINT A TO POINT B. YOUR loving JOB IS TO GET ME THE RIGHT loving INFO. I do not loving call customers to ask them if the address is right! No one else in the company does, no other branch does, I have never ever received a call from USPS or UPS or Fedex if they can't find my house!

Also, assholes who live in gated communities but refuse to give out the gate codes, you loving suck. You want your box? I need the access code!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ijii posted:

Just for clarification, I've never used someone else's name. I just don't answer the phone with a name.
Didn't mean to imply that you were, just sharing some stuff I've learned the hard way from dickhole coworkers.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I am sorry that I doubted you, goons. I thought there was no way that the legends could be true. "That's preposterous," I said, "No one man could possibly produce that kind of force." But today, my eyes have been opened to the horrible truths of the world. Reality has laid bare its darkest secrets for me to see. The Asspocalypse is terrifyingly real, and I have seen its aftermath. poo poo spread up the wall to standing head height, blasted under the seat and onto the back walls of neighboring stalls, the toilet simultaneously clogged and entirely empty of water. I have seen the aftermath, and though we were able to clean it from the world, I will not be able to clean it from my mind. From this day forth, I live in fear. Fear that one day, the Asspocalypse will bring its wrath upon me directly, and I will be forced to watch helplessly, a prisoner of my own digestive system.

I can only hope that that day never comes.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Cowslips Warren posted:

Our sister stores are technically our customers too, even if they are part of the company. It's weird, but whatever.

So yesterday I have a delivery from a store to Bob's Discount Dildos, address 1234 Assfuck Lane. I get to Assfuck Lane and it's....an apartment complex. So I drive around the complex thinking maybe there is a small vendor working from his home, but I got no apartment number or building number. I drive for a bit, but because I am short on time, I mark the box as Bad Address and continue my route so my other deliveries aren't late. There were 40 different buildings with different numbers on every one and none of them were 1234 and no street was Assfuck Lane.

My dispatch agent says I did the right thing. Nobody has time for hunting over 5 minutes for an address.

My manager says I should have:

1. Called the customer direct to tell them I can't find their house
2. Called the store to ask for more information
3. Called dispatch to check my GPS and see if I am just missing it
4. Called the customer again

But this store in question always fucks up addresses. They put East instead of West, zeroes instead of 2s, etc. So when you call them the answer is always "I don't know, that's all I got," and then they whine and ask why I don't call the customer to ask for more info. BECAUSE MY JOB IS TO GET THE BOX FROM POINT A TO POINT B. YOUR loving JOB IS TO GET ME THE RIGHT loving INFO. I do not loving call customers to ask them if the address is right! No one else in the company does, no other branch does, I have never ever received a call from USPS or UPS or Fedex if they can't find my house!

Also, assholes who live in gated communities but refuse to give out the gate codes, you loving suck. You want your box? I need the access code!

I get this all the time as a specialist doctors office getting referrals via fax. "well why didn't you call the patient to clarify their information?"

Because its twenty loving fifteen and no one answers their loving phone for an unknown number or checks their voicemail.

"Well why didn't you call our office to clarify?" Well, I did, but I got a phone message that said "sorry we can't answer the phone. please call back after sacrificing a brown haired virgin after the first full moon of the millennium over the back of a calf that has sired Satan himself".

And I actively don't give a poo poo..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today at work I had a scam artist show up and give me a bunch of flyers and try to have me give them out to my fellow employees to show us how to make money after we shut down. 1 on 1 no obligation pyramid scheme poo poo. On a funnier note some guy was trying to turn a 20% off sign into a "This $100 item is now $20" thing and when the manager refused he said "I am never coming here again". To which my manager replied "Well in 2 months neither will anyone else :iamafag:"