Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

mindphlux posted:

got a huge meaty shank, which I browned and pressure cooked for 30-45 with some garlic, onions, half a tin of anchovies, chicken stock, white wine, and bay leaf.

Made a herb paste with more garlic, rest of the anchovies, thyme mint and sage from our garden, lemon+zest, olive oil, salt/pepper/MSG.

the shank came out perfect - fork tender, but not falling off the bone - let it cool, slathered it with paste and let sit for half an hour, fired up the barbeque, threw wood chunks on and got a good salty smokey cripsy sear on it after the fact. reduced the braising liquid into a sauce. hands down the best lamb I've had in a years time at least.

kind of a dumb question, but I've never cooked with a pressure cooker before - do you brown/saute everything in it like you would with a normal pan, then attach the lid and pressure cook it? or is the procedure different? I'm looking to get one soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

ZetsurinPower posted:

do you brown/saute everything in it like you would with a normal pan, then attach the lid and pressure cook it?
Yes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
^

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Easy solution to all problems of the heart: raw dog 'em both until the wheels fall off.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd suggest having sex with the young hot one once and then pursuing a relationship with the one you like.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Do both of them like anchovies? Because if one does and one doesn't, that makes your decision very much easier.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Indeed. You pick the one who doesn't like anchovies because then you can have your deliciously fishy-salty pizza all to yourself.

(I married an anchovy-eater.)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

You could make a really tasty rhubarb syrup/sauce which would be good on ice cream or mixed into yoghurt, or added to or drizzled onto a cake. I don't know! I am sure you could think of something!

PS rhubarb is really great with ginger. A sauce for ice cream with finely chopped stem or crystallised ginger would be awesome.

Rhubarb-ginger ice cream is loving awesome. Greek yogurt with rhubarb syrup is loving awesome. Any type of smoothie with rhubarb syrup added is loving awesome. Chutney with rhubarb (syrup) is loving awesome.

Rhubarbs are loving awesome.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dane posted:

Rhubarb-ginger ice cream is loving awesome. Greek yogurt with rhubarb syrup is loving awesome. Any type of smoothie with rhubarb syrup added is loving awesome. Chutney with rhubarb (syrup) is loving awesome.

Rhubarbs are loving awesome.

:hfive:

What's up, rhubarb buddy? When it's in season we often gave a container in the fridge of rhubarb gently baked in a covered container with chopped ginger and sugar. It usually gets eaten with yoghurt, or the rhubarb and yoghurt are added to granola. It's so drat good. My toddler really likes it too (as does main wife).

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Bake it loooong. I mean you can do it overnight in an electric overnight at something like 90-100C. Covered, with sugar and powdered ginger. It turns a deep maroon colour and it tastes AMAZING.

Dried powdered ginger is a sort of forgotten spice, but in things that are heavy on sugar, like treacle tart, it really shines.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Luke-warm rhubarb pie with clotted cream or lightly whipped unsweetened cream. Unf.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

We had a nice rhubarb patch in the yard when I was a kid, and my mom used to make THE WORLDS BEST rhubarb cobbler.

Ah, memories of warm summer nights.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My grandpa used to make stewed rhubarb. The texture was probably an acquired taste but I loved it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Rhubarb soup is a thing in Scandinavia. You can make it quite thin and it'll become a delicious thirst quencher, or you can thicken it more and eat it as a kind of fruit porridge, you pour whole milk or half-and-half carefully on top and crumble cake rusk on top of that again. It's about as homely as it gets and absolutely divine on hot summers days. You can put strawberries in it too for extra fanciness, but it's not a strict requirement.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

My wife and in-laws don't particularly care for rhubarb, it's too sour for them :saddowns:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sjurygg posted:

Indeed. You pick the one who doesn't like anchovies because then you can have your deliciously fishy-salty pizza all to yourself.

(I married an anchovy-eater.)

Holy poo poo. You're right! I made the wrong choice.

I'd better tell the wife it's over.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Enjoying a post Easter break in wine country. My brother's place is in the middle of vineyards in Lodi, so that's home base. Fantastic dinner last night at the North edge of the Suisan valley. This morning was really the best part, though, because we went to St. Helena for breakfast and coffee, then afterwards went over to the Guidi's little place and stocked up on their new pressing olive oil as well as pulling sausages out of the bin o salamis in the back. Nothing like an awesome lady adding up your order in pencil on your box (in muttered Italian) and then throwing in some home made vinegar because you stuck around to chat with her.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

You're like 45 minutes away from my house. If you have too much time, we could have you over for dinner or something.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqaDf2fuUH8
I am a pacifist. And I love science. I want to punch this guy in the face.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

dino. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqaDf2fuUH8
I am a pacifist. And I love science. I want to punch this guy in the face.

Aww, I like the Green brothers. They're quirky. :unsmith:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Amykinz posted:

You're like 45 minutes away from my house. If you have too much time, we could have you over for dinner or something.

That's a lovely offer, thank you. We had to journey back over the hill, though. Perhaps next time!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My grandpa used to make stewed rhubarb. The texture was probably an acquired taste but I loved it.

I used to stew it but didn't like draining off all that flavourful stewing liquid, so I switched to baking. It retains better colour too.

Sjurygg posted:

Bake it loooong. I mean you can do it overnight in an electric overnight at something like 90-100C. Covered, with sugar and powdered ginger. It turns a deep maroon colour and it tastes AMAZING.

Dried powdered ginger is a sort of forgotten spice, but in things that are heavy on sugar, like treacle tart, it really shines.

God, that sounds AMAZING.

I use powdered ginger in baking, but for rhubarb etc i like crystallised or stem. Oh, that reminds me. If I use stem ginger I sometimes pour in the syrup, if there is enough.

therattle fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 23, 2014

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Sjurygg posted:

Rhubarb soup is a thing in Scandinavia. You can make it quite thin and it'll become a delicious thirst quencher, or you can thicken it more and eat it as a kind of fruit porridge, you pour whole milk or half-and-half carefully on top and crumble cake rusk on top of that again. It's about as homely as it gets and absolutely divine on hot summers days. You can put strawberries in it too for extra fanciness, but it's not a strict requirement.

That's sort of what's in my picture, the traditional Danish summer pudding of red summer berries and rhubarb, topped with cream (although some fools leave out the rhubarb). A dish that's so ubiquitous here it's become a sort of shibboleth - rødgrød med fløde https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkvqJJvR9U

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Cimber's Random Hambone soup:

1 hambone with lots of meat on it
2 32 oz boxes of beef stock
1 32 oz box veg stock
1 48 oz box chicken stock
3 large potatoes, peeled, cubed and washed (I always wash my cubed potato, i find rinsing off some of the potato juice from the chunks makes it better)
4 celery stalks, diced
1 cup lentils
1 cup yellow split pea
1 cup green split pea
1 package ministroni mushroom soup mix
1/2 large onion, diced
1 bay leaf

Put all in stock pot, bring to boil, simmer for 6 hours.

No idea how this is going to come out, but i think it should be good. We'll see tonight!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Cimber posted:

No idea how this is going to come out, but i think it should be good. We'll see tonight!

I could tell you, but I think it's better you see the fruits of your labor.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I could tell you, but I think it's better you see the fruits of your labor.

What do you think?

Or i should say, do you see any glaring issues?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

What do you think?

Salt. A shitload of salt. All that prepared stock plus a pack of soup mix all boiled down and concentrated will probably be mighty salty. That would be my guess. The folks around here frown on soup mixes. If you were looking to add mushroom flavour, there are better ways, like tossing in some dried porcini to simmer with the meat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

What do you think?

Unless you're getting some hardcore special broths, you won't really taste a good beefiness to the beef broth. And I've never really known packaged veggie broth to be anything but faintly bitter. Chicken broth in a box seems to be fine for me in terms of taste. It's kind of light to begin with, anyway.

Also, yeah, most broths can have 20+ percent sodium, good ones have around 10 percent, and low sodium should have no more than 3 percent per serving. You may as well dump the beef and vegetable broth for just plain water - tastewise. The ham is going to gently caress poo poo up with amazing flavor (and be kind of salty) regardless. That would be my preference, anyways, as a not terribly picky eater.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Cimber posted:

What do you think?

Salt as was mentioned, but the real issue is the 6 hours. If you simmer all of that for 6 hours, you will have a stockpot of salty mush, with a bone in it.

Also dump the soup mix and throw in some real mushrooms, or dried if you can.

I'd just do the chicken stock, and simmer 3 hours. Then you'd have a decent stew.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Dane posted:

That's sort of what's in my picture, the traditional Danish summer pudding of red summer berries and rhubarb, topped with cream (although some fools leave out the rhubarb). A dish that's so ubiquitous here it's become a sort of shibboleth - rødgrød med fløde https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkvqJJvR9U

Save the rhubarb so it can shine on its own, rødgrøt is best made, methinks, with 2 parts raspberries, 1 part blueberries and 1 part strawberries. And half and half on top, full-fat cream is, while most Danish, a bit too rich for warm summer afternoons.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Sjurygg posted:

Save the rhubarb so it can shine on its own, rødgrøt is best made, methinks, with 2 parts raspberries, 1 part blueberries and 1 part strawberries. And half and half on top, full-fat cream is, while most Danish, a bit too rich for warm summer afternoons.

2 parts each redcurrants, raspberries, strawberries to one part rhubarb and one part blackberries. I'll usually go half cream half whole milk, but when grandma used to make it it was cream all the way.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cimber posted:

1 package ministroni mushroom soup mix

What is it with Americans using "soup mix" in recipes? I see it all the time, and I don't understand it at all.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Scientastic posted:

What is it with Americans using "soup mix" in recipes? I see it all the time, and I don't understand it at all.

We're lazy and the sell it in our grocery stores.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Shortcut to "flavour"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Shortcut to "flavour"

No, that would be putting bland Brown Sauce on everything.

Adding soup is a short cut to Flavor Town. Shut the front door!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I call it flava powda.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Fight the powda.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Serious answer: we are a nation of Semi-Homemade. There really isn't any other way to say it. The average schmuck thinks that making a tater-tot casserole with 4 ingredients is cooking.

"bakeries HATE HER for this one simple trick!"

I recall reading about a product that Pillsbury tried to market once. Their marketing team discovered that women loved to mix a package of their dried pudding pix into a package of their cake mix, to make a moister, gooier cake. See, once you've mixed two premade things YOU ARE TOTALLY BAKING, right Sandra Lee?

So, the marketers had the bright idea to sell an all in one mix: pudding mix and cake mix together in one box. Saves you that extra step, right? Well, customers HATED IT. Why? Well, if adding pudding to regular cake mix makes it better, then adding pudding to cake mix that already has pudding in it must be EVEN BETTER, right? But no, when they added the additional pack of pudding mix to it, the cake didn't rise, and instead sunk into a gooey mass of poo poo.

They hated it because it took their magic trick away.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98 - A delicious Angel Food Cake©
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5j55rmSJ4 - Bar-B-Q Pizza Surprise

You guys are literally doing a disservice to yourselves if you aren't reading the GBS Food Network thread and watching the Sandra Lee cooking show videos.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627023

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Scientastic posted:

In addition to what others have said, pretty much EVERY food brand put out a cookbook including delicious meals composed of all of their products. Sometimes these were the mid-century monstrosities we all know and love, but they were mostly close approximations of things housewives were already making. As more women got jobs, it was easier to toss together a couple of cans of stuff, add powdered soup mix and get something pretty close(ish) to what you made before without 'all the work'. Now, most people don't grow up with knowledge to make decent meals from scratch, so when Kraft Foods/Oscar Meyer/whatever gives you a recipe for pasta carbonara that includes Green Giant™ canned peas, Philadelphia™ Cream Cheese, and Oscar Meyer™ bacon, most people think they're making something wonderfully fancy because they've never tasted the real thing.