Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
fully sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

how hands-off are these latest CNC bots? i mean, do you hand it a 3d model and it will check all the angles and depths to see it can cut it with the tools available and then do the cut without intervention?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Proteus4994 posted:

why do you set jawn up with these softballs and nobody ever has easily debunked conspiracy theories about hard drives? :(

No really... I once had this friend at Laguna Hills High School in Orange County where his dad was an exec at Broadcom (Henry Nicholas lived near by), and they had the technology to make USB drives 100 times faster and larger, but the company purposely decided to slowly release the product on the market to increase profits and probably continue this practice today. This is a true story. Thus, I decided to take the leap and expand on this story to include a conspiracy on Moore's law. :)

JawnV6 posted:

so i can't really answer "running infinite loops in the cloud is hardcore" because it's not clear what that means. it could potentially describe a loop consuming an 'infinite' JSON structure, a polling loop, or even a finite-bounded loop that's going beyond some watchdog/timeout feature

It is "finite-bounded loop that's going beyond some watchdog/timeout feature" the problem is that even though there are restrictions on time and bandwidth, by the time these restrictions stop the loop, the stuff being passed to the client side have already been executed by the loops thus freezing up everything.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
well if your friend's dad said it...

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Boxturret posted:

well if your friend's dad said it...

no dude its true

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Ian's friends dad's CEO, inventor of the usb

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

there was an intel commercial with one of the inventors of the usb, it was pretty good

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpiylFF6sV4

ians friend's dad

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Lecture is to present marketing strategies that position the company as a multinational mission to contribute to development of a whole society. The commercial presented shows how to transform the profile of an innovative company while inflating the ego of internal employees, motivating them with the mission to 'cooperate with humanity'.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
too bad ian's friends dad didn't invent thunderbolt, that would have been cool

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ian McLean posted:

No really... I once had this friend at Laguna Hills High School in Orange County where his dad was an exec at Broadcom (Henry Nicholas lived near by), and they had the technology to make USB drives 100 times faster and larger, but the company purposely decided to slowly release the product on the market to increase profits and probably continue this practice today. This is a true story. Thus, I decided to take the leap and expand on this story to include a conspiracy on Moore's law. :)

You're gullible as hell, the usb standard is slow as h*ck, even if you had drives that were 100x faster it wouldn't make any difference

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

how hands-off are these latest CNC bots? i mean, do you hand it a 3d model and it will check all the angles and depths to see it can cut it with the tools available and then do the cut without intervention?

no, you still need a machinist to define the toolpaths. there's software to help, that video's trying to sell it. for something like that you have to go over the entire surface again with a fine ball tool to smooth it all out, that's the last half of the video

i don't quite know if there's stuff akin to DRC in CNC software, like you'd try to cut 99% of some material and it would flag it and suggest a 50% cut, then another pass taking away 50%, etc. i vaguely know that's part of the complexity of it

it's not actually him. he's awesome and there's no reason to hire an actor, looks the part of a USB inventor in my book, but it's not actually him in the stupid video

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
I never said anything about inventing anything, rather expanding on the technology. As far as I know, it may have been a USB-like memory stick that required an entirely different port. All I know is that there was something that was much better, but it was decided that they could milk the technology for an extended period of time rather than releasing better version. My conclusion is that this probably happens more frequently than realized by most.

Speaking of which... when are these molecular computers going to be released?

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

I never said anything about inventing anything, rather expanding on the technology. As far as I know, it may have been a USB-like memory stick that required an entirely different port. All I know is that there was something that was much better, but it was decided that they could milk the technology for an extended period of time rather than releasing better version. My conclusion is that this probably happens more frequently than realized by most.

take the meds ian

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Ian McLean posted:

funny you should ask, they're actually working on these in my department, they look pretty amazing, probably wont hit the market for a long time yet though, normal computers have too much momentum

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

JawnV6 posted:

it's not actually him. he's awesome and there's no reason to hire an actor, looks the part of a USB inventor in my book, but it's not actually him in the stupid video

thats hosed, even billy g appeared in a commercial

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

wikipedia says he rose to stardom because of the commercial though, i dont know if i should be outraged anymore or not

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Ian McLean posted:

there was a severely autistic kid at my summer camp who told me that his dad said there was a real-life yu gi oh stadium in japan where your cards would create holograms and poo poo and youd actually battle like in the tv show.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

you know whats 100 times faster and larger than a flash stick? a hard drive

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

https://vimeo.com/69589626

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Rufus Ping posted:

funny you should ask, they're actually working on these in my department, they look pretty amazing, probably wont hit the market for a long time yet though, normal computers have too much momentum

until Moore's law expires.

As for everyone else, I don't care if you believe me, but it's the truth. My friend told me all kinds of stuff like the underground facilities that CEO was building under his house before the scandal reached public media. We thought it was an underground hockey rink though. Was this true? The sports bar was still a big portion of this endeavor, so it appears to be that way.

Whoever is writing posts in attempts to discredit my source, I would not say it if it was some fairyland story. It would actually be more interesting if someone came out and said, "no Ian, that story is just half the truth. I worked for xyz at the time and this is what really went down".

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Socracheese posted:

take the meds ian

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

take all your meds at once ian. dosage limits are a scam to keep you sick

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ian McLean posted:

your conclusion is based on nothing. your friend was garbling something he overheard, or making poo poo up to impress you, or you are garbling things you overheard, or are making poo poo up to impress us, or maybe all of the above

"memory stick" equals nand flash memory packaged in a usb. the storage medium is literally the same poo poo that's in ssds, compactflashes, securedigitals, and so on, although usbs are made with the shittiest worst grade flash chips to cut costs, because who pays lots of money for a usb. (same goes for securedigitals)

never in the history of nand flash has there been a viable technology which would have allowed suddenly multiplying capacity or performance by 100 without also multiplying prices by similar factors. not even back when flash memory density gains were still following moore's law. not even when the introduction of multi level cell technology gave moore the loving finger by permitting a one-time doubling (*) of capacity without so much as a process shrink

* - not an actual doubling, error rates go way the gently caress up for mlc so you lose some of the capacity gain to error correction overhead

quote:

i wasn't aware that existing computrons were non molecular

what i'm saying is take the meds ian

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

it's not cool to gently caress with the mentally ill, rufo :-(

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

TOTY (Troll of the Year) Rufo Pingu

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
come on guys ian is either an elaborate troll account who just isn't trying anymore or straight up mentally ill, either way it's shameful to engage

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
I am done with this forum. I have never taken meds and I am tired of hearing it every comment. If just one of you would have seriously backed statpedia with the amount of time spent criticizing people, it probably would have been enough to create snowballing success by now. It is time for me to spend my free time doing more productive things to make this happen.

r.i.p. ian on SA forums.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Ian McLean posted:

I am done with this forum. I have never taken meds and I am tired of hearing it every comment. If just one of you would have seriously backed statpedia with the amount of time spent criticizing people, it probably would have been enough to create snowballing success by now. It is time for me to spend my free time doing more productive things to make this happen.

r.i.p. ian on SA forums.

lol

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Ian McLean posted:

r.i.p. ian on SA forums.

goodnight, sweet prince

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Ian McLean posted:

I have never taken meds

completely unjokingly: you are delusional. im not using that as an insult, im saying that you hold deep convictions contrary to all evidence. see a psychiatrist, get some meds.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 1, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's pretty obvious that you haven't taken meds, ian :-(

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Werthog 95 posted:

it's pretty obvious that you haven't taken meds, ian :-(

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ian McLean posted:

r.i.p. ian on SA forums.

rip :rip:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

yeah, rip

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i bet ian is my linux rig

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ian McLean posted:

r.i.p. ian on SA forums.
haha you almost got me ian april fools :newlol:

Socracheese posted:

take the meds ian

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

r.i.p. ian on SA forums.

i told you, quite clearly i might add, exactly what you need to do

i've told a shitload of new grads basically that same advice, and they never take it. everyone's convinced they can take shortcuts, that all this is secretly easy and the experts are colluding. believe it til you're blue in the face, experts are built through a long process.

there's at least two tiers of engineers above me. i have a sick feeling calling myself 'senior' because i know i'm not. beyond that there's the old timers you can't sway with any dollar amount, that need an interesting problem and then they're totally on board and really, really want to talk about your problem.

Ian McLean posted:

If just one of you would have seriously backed statpedia with the amount of time spent criticizing people, it probably would have been enough to create snowballing success by now.
nope. you need to have a compelling cause. it's not enough to have an idea then yell at people for not backing it. if they're not on board, your pitch sucks.

i have a decade of consumer electronics experience. "kickstarter CEO" types seem to think we're still in college and ask me for help like you'd bug a buddy in college. then get all offended and balk when I quote them hours and rate. like i know it took you 5 minutes to answer the question, but for me to do the proper research and give you the professional quality answer you're asking for, it's going to take me 2~4 hours of my decade of experience. that's the smallest amount of time I can really spend on something and have it be meaningful, helpful, transferable knowledge. 1 hour is nothing, 1 hour is us meeting and going over relevant backgrounds, the best work I've done in that kind of time frame is gut check on next steps, "yes that arduino will let you prototype the mechanical side"

blowing time on the internet trying to be funny in front of internet strangers doesn't drain me the way technical work does. those don't come from the same bucket up in my head. you don't get to point at all these words and demand i go fetch the other bucket and give you an equivalent amount from it.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
sorry guys i'm still mad as gently caress about the Foodini

quote:

One of our goals is to streamline some of cooking's more repetitive activities - forming dough into fish-shaped crackers, or forming ravioli - to encourage more people to make fresh healthy foods.
Only one of these two things is one of "cooking's more repetitive activities", the only thing this 10 grand machine does is cut your food into silly shapes

even on their own product demo they can't think of a use for it beyond needlessly cutting food into ~wacky dinosaurs~ (or just spent $8 and buy these http://bit.ly/1gXYQQ8)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

$48,343
pledged of $100,000 goal

• Locked thread