Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arquinsiel posted:

This is a wild leap to make about people who don't wear suits that is the exact opposite of my experience in offices.

No one said anything about suits. We're talking about "a shirt with a collar" vs "clearly in dirty clothes for an interview".

Once you have the job, matching the office vibe is important. But for an interview take 5 minutes to look professional, you don't need to go crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I showed up in a suit to the interview for my last job and had someone tell me it was super weird and I should take the jacket and tie off :v:

Jacket sure, tie stayed on though, mostly because I didn't want to mess with it after I got it good and tied properly.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Shame Boy posted:

I showed up in a suit to the interview for my last job and had someone tell me it was super weird and I should take the jacket and tie off :v:

Same. I've done a polo since and don't believe it has hurt anything. This has all been fully remote, though. In person pre-pandemic I wore the full suit and even then got told 1 of 2 times it was a bit much though not in as many words. Software is just kinda different, I guess.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My special work hoodie helps to get me in the mindset that I’m at my desk to be productive and work and also helps fight off the unrelenting air from the AC vent above said desk.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

No one said anything about suits. We're talking about "a shirt with a collar" vs "clearly in dirty clothes for an interview".

Once you have the job, matching the office vibe is important. But for an interview take 5 minutes to look professional, you don't need to go crazy.
"Shirt with collar" is casual where I grew up. Professional means suit and nothing less.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Arquinsiel posted:

"Shirt with collar" is casual where I grew up. Professional means suit and nothing less.

if you read the genesis of this conversation it was that a person was talking about buying a polo shirt for interviews and i suggested they buy an actual button-down with a collar

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Shame Boy posted:

Jacket sure, tie stayed on though, mostly because I didn't want to mess with it after I got it good and tied properly.

I did the same. Someone said "Oh wow, he's in a suit with a tie" and I immediately took the tie off and everyone laughed. Set the tone. Worked there for four years

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Arquinsiel posted:

Hopefully this has changed in the intervening century, because that is absurd.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Yeah in my experience, shirt with a collar is business casual as opposed to just casual (as long as your pants aren't jeans or shorts). I've never worked anywhere that has required anything other than business casual (or less) for day-to-day work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Unsinkabear posted:

Hopefully this has changed in the intervening century, because that is absurd.
There's a reason I said "where I grew up" and not "where I am" :negative:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I assume it's the kind of place where you can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's the kind of place where pudding is meat, to illustrate the level of cultural differences.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the kind of place where pudding is meat, to illustrate the level of cultural differences.

And where toff does not mean toffee, evidently.

What about wig, I wonder? Do they still wear those words around those parts?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I never knew showering, wearing a nice collared shirt and turning the camera on for all of one hour was going to be so controversial.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I never knew showering, wearing a nice collared shirt and turning the camera on for all of one hour was going to be so controversial.

How long have you been on this forum again

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It seems likely I will get two offers. One this week and one next week. What is the apporiate thing to say if you want to weigh options?

Edit: My interview went well today, btw. It was three rounds with the HR, then a coworker, then the CFO. The CFO gave me some red flags. After HR said that no one is expected to stay late, CFO basically says he's looking for that. Also, he said he hates when people discuss pay with each other, which was a big red flag. It did seem nice otherwise but I don't know if I see myself there. It might pay better but its far away and doesn't have vision. The business I did last week that will hopefully give me an offer this week is closer with better benefits but less pay.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 6, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah that poo poo would raise my asking price by like 40% at least.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"I am in process with other places, and I expect I will have an offer. I'd like to be able to weigh my options before committing." If you're confident "But if you are able to bring your offer to $xx, I'd be willing to accept right now."

Be honest. You want them feeling a little desperate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, I am leaning to the one that will likely give me an offer this week because of that.

Lockback posted:

"I am in process with other places, and I expect I will have an offer. I'd like to be able to weigh my options before committing." If you're confident "But if you are able to bring your offer to $xx, I'd be willing to accept right now."

Be honest. You want them feeling a little desperate.

Alrighty then.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Nothing like going 3 rounds of interviews and having almost constant contact with the recruiter during the process to being ghosted all the sudden. Hoping they just had a long weekend or something. This would be almost 300% more than what I was making two years ago lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Expo70 posted:

And where toff does not mean toffee, evidently.

What about wig, I wonder? Do they still wear those words around those parts?
No that's the big island next one over. IE: where I moved to. They're depressingly way more casual about business attire basically just everything appearence-wise.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I just signed up for a free year of LinkedIn premium for veterans. Hope it helps someone. https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/a518653/linkedin-for-veterans-free-premium-career-subscription-and-eligibility?lang=en

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

After feeling really anxious all night, I spoke to my support group. My mom yelled at me, but my dad told me that maybe I should drop her from my support group. As he put it, she will basically push me to take the first job that I get and not care how I feel about it because she's afraid I won't get anything. As he put it, she has anxiety and it will not serve you well. As he put it, "she's just like her mother. Her mother used to push her dad to work when the electrician union expected him to be on unemployment because her mom was convinced he was fired and not, just, that's how construction unions work." Also, as he put it, she hasn't worked a fulltime job since the 1980s and doesn't get it anymore.

My dad, brother, and my sister-in-law all agreed that your boss saying "I hate when employees talk to each other about salary and then ask for raises when they realize they're making less," "everything in the accounting department stays in the accounting department: I don't want to hear you are even mentioning it to friends or family on the side," "I hate people who work 9 to 5 and I'm really looking for someone who doesn't look at the clock and will stay late: look at me, I'm 70 and I'll be here to 6:30 pm" and the fact that the job is 30-50 minutes to and back on top of that ( and that's assuming no traffic as that is how long it took when the roads were empty midday) is just kind of a red flag and if I want to wait it out for something better, especially since I want to stay long term, then that's fine.

Personally, I am really hoping one of the two local businesses who interviewed me send me an offer. I had a second round last week and a third round is coming tomorrow. I am expecting an offer from the red flag place Friday or Monday. I think it's more than likely since the HR manager told me it went well. I kind of hope I don't get it. Either way, I will ask for a few days to consider and just think it through, while hoping one of the other offers come in. If they give me an exploding offer, then I'm just probably going to move on then and there as that's the last red flag for me. I still have 6 to 18 months of expenses without touching my stocks or retirement funds so I don't need to jump at the first offer.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 7, 2023

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Blurb3947 posted:

Nothing like going 3 rounds of interviews and having almost constant contact with the recruiter during the process to being ghosted all the sudden. Hoping they just had a long weekend or something. This would be almost 300% more than what I was making two years ago lol

I just had the opposite: I had my second round interview two weeks ago, then last week the recruiter emailed me "hey I have an update for you, are you available to chat next Tuesday?" Three minutes before we are supposed to talk, he reschedules for today, and it turns out he was just calling to tell me I was rejected "instead of getting one of those cold emails."

Like, thanks for not breaking up via text but why'd you get my hopes up and waste my time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Covok posted:

After feeling really anxious all night, I spoke to my support group. My mom yelled at me, but my dad told me that maybe I should drop her from my support group. As he put it, she will basically push me to take the first job that I get and not care how I feel about it because she's afraid I won't get anything. As he put it, she has anxiety and it will not serve you well. My dad, brother, and my sister-in-law all agreed that your boss saying "I hate when employees talk to each other about salary and then ask for raises when they realize they're making less," "everything in the accounting department stays in the accounting department: I don't want to hear you are even mentioning it to friends or family on the side," "I hate people who work 9 to 5 and I'm really looking for someone who doesn't look at the clock and will stay late: look at me, I'm 70 and I'll be here to 6:30 pm" and the fact that the job is 30-50 minutes to and back on top of that ( and that's assuming no traffic as that is how long it took when the roads were empty midday) is just kind of a red flag and if I want to wait it out for something better, especially since I want to stay long term, then that's fine.

Personally, I am really hoping one of the two local businesses who interviewed me send me an offer. I had a second round last week and a third round is coming tomorrow. I am expecting an offer from the red flag place Friday or Monday. I think it's more than likely since the HR manager told me it went well. I kind of hope I don't get it. Either way, I will ask for a few days to consider and just think it through, while hoping one of the other offers come in. If they give me an exploding offer, then I'm just probably going to move on then and there as that's the last red flag for me. I still have 6 to 18 months of expenses without touching my stocks or retirement funds so I don't need to jump at the first offer.

Pretty sure some of that poo poo he said is actually illegal so yeah I'd def wait for a better place no matter what your mom yells.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You are getting a ton of traction within just a week or so of serious job hunting. You have lots of time. May as well get the offer from that one place but I'd honestly suggest just refusing it outright.

And yes, you can still have a great relationship with your mom where you cut out the stuff where her advice is objectively awful.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Friend posted:

I just had the opposite: I had my second round interview two weeks ago, then last week the recruiter emailed me "hey I have an update for you, are you available to chat next Tuesday?" Three minutes before we are supposed to talk, he reschedules for today, and it turns out he was just calling to tell me I was rejected "instead of getting one of those cold emails."

Like, thanks for not breaking up via text but why'd you get my hopes up and waste my time.

Recruiter-speak:

Next steps = You are progressing to the next round or will get an offer
Update = We are moving ahead with someone else

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Red posted:

Recruiter-speak:

Next steps = You are progressing to the next round or will get an offer
Update = We are moving ahead with someone else

Technically he said "wanted to quickly check in," I did get a bad feeling from the email when it arrived (if he had actually said "update" it would have been obvious) but I was really excited about the opportunity and thought I had done well on the interview. I just can't believe we went through seven emails back and forth, one missed meeting, and one 2 minute phone call over the span of seven days when he could've just sent an email saying "sorry but no!"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I respect that he wanted to jump on a phone call but yeah, at some point just spill it.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So, erh, I dunno how it happened with all that bullshit with the personality tests, and nothing has been finalised yet but it looks like I'm going to spend the next five years in the freezing wastes of Greenland. Got an email wiith the subject "job offer" saying i was "by far" the preferred candidate and we should talk at the earliest convenience.

Anyway, if it works out, I'll be wrestling polar bears in a month.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

So, erh, I dunno how it happened with all that bullshit with the personality tests, and nothing has been finalised yet but it looks like I'm going to spend the next five years in the freezing wastes of Greenland. Got an email wiith the subject "job offer" saying i was "by far" the preferred candidate and we should talk at the earliest convenience.

Congrats or condolences on being sent to the North Atlantic Siberian workcamp, whichever is most applicable.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Lockback posted:

Congrats or condolences on being sent to the North Atlantic Siberian workcamp, whichever is most applicable.

Oh nah, this is a dream come true. Fingers crossed until i sign the contract, but I'm going to go hiking and fishing and absolutely enjoy the poo poo out of it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
With the way poo poo is going you might actually be moving the only habitable place left on Earth so make sure to buy a house or something

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Yeah Greenland sounds pretty great right now, not gonna lie. Do they do Indeed there, or what?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah Greenland sounds pretty great right now, not gonna lie. Do they do Indeed there, or what?

I kept my eye on https://www.jobindex.dk/jobsoegning/groenland?lang=en until something with English text showed up. there's a couple other sites too, but they're mostly in Danish for obvious reasons. LinkedIn, unfortunately, might be a thing too, what with all the international companies moving there for their big infrastructure projects. I have a Nordic second passport so I could apply without needing a sponsor

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

Either they knew this the whole time and this was all just part of some dumb process they have to go through, or that other candidate did really, really bad on that stupid test :v:

Congrats either way :toot:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Magnetic North posted:

Same. I've done a polo since and don't believe it has hurt anything. This has all been fully remote, though. In person pre-pandemic I wore the full suit and even then got told 1 of 2 times it was a bit much though not in as many words. Software is just kinda different, I guess.

My current company had me come in for an interview on a Sunday. Which I thought was weird, but ok (it made sense later on because my previous job had Sunday/Monday off, and they didn't do interviews on Mondays because of the volume of actual work to be done).

I dressed up in a nice suit to be interviewed by two guys in flannel shirts and jeans who didn't even work in the department I was interviewing for. I felt SOOOO overdressed.

I managed to answer their questions in 20 minutes. After each question they looked at each other and went:

"Do you have any follow up?"
"Nope."
"Neither do I."
"Next question..."

I'm fairly sure the suit got me the job. Being breathing and sentient was just a bonus.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sentience is a rare and valuable quality in the corporate world

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sentience is a rare and valuable quality in the corporate world

My toddler likes to barge in, say “I want to help you work,” and type nonsense into the keyboard. The kid could get a white collar job tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ah, a Project Manager