Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Given that the KSC75 are I think the ones that are clip-ons it's a headband to turn them into effective Porta-Pros.

Yes, it’s this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hopefully a better headband than the Porta-Pros though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

Going back to this because I bought the P1s myself, i agree with basically all of it but I will say while my phone, Macbook and none of my iPods liked them they ran just fine out of my Fiio M3 Pro and E10K so they’re not as hard to run in my experience as you found. The cable being as average as it is is weird, since the T2 cable is way nicer just on feel so I know Tin can do better. As a first experience of planars though it was pretty mind expanding and glorious.

Turns out the apple USB-C dongle powers them fine, there's just some software volume issue when plugged into android devices. Now I gotta find another dongle because yeah, they continue to be mind expanding and glorious. I like them best with my old JDS O2 for some reason.

I'm reading a lot of great reviews about the 7hz Timeless, that might be my next 3am aliexpress purchase.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I can’t get over how those things look.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Serendipitaet posted:

Very similar to the poster before me so perhaps this is good timing:

Looking for some wired in ears to listen to music from my phone. Mostly techno, but doesn’t need to be all about the bass.
50-100 EUR budget

Remote & mic is a plus

Edit: seeing a super similar question on the last page, I’m gonna dig into that :) sorry for posting w/o reading

Did some digging and searching in the thread and kinda narrowed it down to the following options, but I'm still feeling pretty undecided tbh!

Tin T2 - lower end of the budget, like the looks

KZ ZS10 Pro - also lower end of the budget, don't like the looks as much but there's an option on amazon with a mic

final E3000 - really digging the looks (less IEM, more classical earbud)

Moondrop Aria - these seem really popular and still within budget

Any recommendations among those four? My previous earbuds were SoundMagic E10C and I liked them until I lost them, but I can't really describe what I would like "more" of as an upgrade to those. Otherwise I use Sony WH1000X Mk 2s in the office because the noise cancelling helps a lot. I feel like i don't have a lot of audiophile vocabulary to describe what I want/like. :shrug:

Also as for mic and volume control: The connectors for the IEMs look like they are standardized - can i just get whatever IEM and go for a separate cable with a mic?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Serendipitaet posted:

Also as for mic and volume control: The connectors for the IEMs look like they are standardized - can i just get whatever IEM and go for a separate cable with a mic?

Yep, most IEMs use either a 0.78mm 2-pin cable or an MMCX cable and any cable with those connectors will connect to any matching IEM.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm reading a lot of great reviews about the 7hz Timeless, that might be my next 3am aliexpress purchase.

I ordered one 2 weeks ago (at about 3am), still on backorder though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are the ATH M50xs comparable in some sense to the DT 770 Pros? I need closed headphones with some bass, my DT 770s died and they cost 3 times as much as the ATH M50Xs here. I don't even have budget options because right now, for some ungodly reason in this God-forsaken hellhole of a country, the koss porta-pros are costing ~120 usd. The normal ones, no fancy special edition or whatever. The ATH-M50xs seem to be the most reasonably priced but I'm open for suggestions.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The M40X are better and cheaper if you can get em. Spend the difference on thicker pads, the stock pads are a joke. like these: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-ATH-MSR7BK-Headphone/dp/B07BWKJ1BW

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
FWIW I prefer my 770s over my M50s by a lot. The M50s have a much stronger clamping force that's not comfortable for long periods of time.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Huh. I bought some cheap KZ DQ6 IEMs a few months back and honestly did not like them at the time, put them in a drawer and figured I'd never mess with them again. Spotted them while rooting through that drawer today, threw them in my ears out of boredom, and they actually are pretty good for a ~$20 set. Fairly bright but they don't sound metallic or sibilant, and while the mids are definitely recessed they sound natural.

Wonder why I hated them so much out of the box :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don’t think I’ve ever liked a pair of headphones right out of the box. I like that cheap headphones (from Chinese companies) sound better and better because you know when they’re doing good sound for under £10 the garbage selling for the same money in a supermarket has to really be trying to be as bad as it is.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The M40X are better and cheaper if you can get em. Spend the difference on thicker pads, the stock pads are a joke. like these: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-ATH-MSR7BK-Headphone/dp/B07BWKJ1BW

Would the AKG 371 be equivalent to what I'm looking for? They're costing 15% less than the m40x and finding replacement stock pads here is either A) hard B) adds a shitload of extra expense.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I’m looking to get a pair of earphones that wrap around the ear but also go in the ear (I’m not sure what you call those kind?) for office music listening and gym workouts. I’ve been looking at the Powerbeats and Powerbeats Pros. The only difference I can see between these two is the wire? Are there any other brands I should be looking at for a similar style earphone?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sports earbuds I think those are generally called, with the plastic ear hook right? I can't immediately think of any other brands doing them in any kind of serious way other than Apple with the Powerbeats, I have a pair of Sony buds like those but they're kinda old and also terrible.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Elentor posted:

Would the AKG 371 be equivalent to what I'm looking for? They're costing 15% less than the m40x and finding replacement stock pads here is either A) hard B) adds a shitload of extra expense.

Yes, in fact I think they're better headphones in general than either of the audio technicas.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-V6s that I've had since 2011. I have no issues with them sound quality wise, my issues are mostly on the comfort side. They create some hot spots at the top of my ears and/or earlobes that make them uncomfortable to wear for all day use. I have aftermarket leather pads that measure 60mm by 30mm on the inside. The closed back also makes them quite hot.

I've been looking at Dekoni to see which headphones have the biggest cup size. It appears that the Sennheiser HD558/9 HD598/9 series pads have a 72mm by 47mm interior clearance. The HD600 series seems to have 65mm by 44mm. Is there a big reason to get the HD600 series over the 500? I'm interested in open back to get a little better sound stage and maybe cooling.

As far as music goes, I listen to a bit of everything. Indie rock, metal, hardcore, emo, jazz, folk, house, techno. I'm ok getting an amp if it'd help.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, my FiiO e10k just loving died on me. Dropped my headphones, picked them up, no sound. Checked cables and connections (headphone cable is really long so it shouldn't have pulled on anything), everything's fine and the computer actually picked it up, but the dac's light was off, and if you switch if off (volume acts as a on/off), the light goes on for a split second then turns off again.

Found a FAQ on their page:

quote:

1.The power indicator light won't light while the E10K is detected normally by the computer
A: It means the E10K has entered fault protection mode (e.g. because of DC output anomaly).Please disconnect USB cable and headphones and attempt connection at least 5 seconds later. If the issue is not resolved, please send the unit back to FiiO for servicing.

Tried that, but nothing. Tried a different usb cable and a different computer, same thing: gets picked up by windows, but immediately turns off after turning it on.

I'm super mad because the fiio let me have both headphones and speakers connected to the same device and I could just pick up my headphones/mute speakers without having to restart games/programs to pick up the new device.

Any good < US$100 DAC anyone can recommend to replace this? Ideally with two outputs so I can do headphones + speakers, and it doesn't have to be super portable since I just want them for my pc, but I'd like to avoid them needing external power outside of a USB connection. At this point I'll just take anything that can drive my 80 Ohm DT770s.

Thanks.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 29, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any good < US$100 DAC anyone can recommend to replace this? Ideally with two outputs so I can do headphones + speakers, and it doesn't have to be super portable since I just want them for my pc, but I'd like to avoid them needing external power outside of a USB connection. At this point I'll just take anything that can drive my 80 Ohm DT770s.

Thanks.
Just a DAC or a DAC/amp combo? The Schiit Modi is a good DAC, if you need both they also have the Fulla

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Just a DAC or a DAC/amp combo? The Schiit Modi is a good DAC, if you need both they also have the Fulla

Ah, I'd like a DAC/amp, I'm just looking for an all in one solution like the e10k. I was checking out the FiiO K3 but now I'm honestly wary of their stuff. I can't make any sense of how and why this died.

I've always heard good things about Schiit and the Fulla looks good, so I'll read up on it a bit and with any luck send it to a friend who's travelling to the states in a month. Thanks a bunch.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, my FiiO e10k just loving died on me. Dropped my headphones, picked them up, no sound. Checked cables and connections (headphone cable is really long so it shouldn't have pulled on anything), everything's fine and the computer actually picked it up, but the dac's light was off, and if you switch if off (volume acts as a on/off), the light goes on for a split second then turns off again.

Found a FAQ on their page:

Tried that, but nothing. Tried a different usb cable and a different computer, same thing: gets picked up by windows, but immediately turns off after turning it on.

I'm super mad because the fiio let me have both headphones and speakers connected to the same device and I could just pick up my headphones/mute speakers without having to restart games/programs to pick up the new device.

Thanks.

Basic troubleshooting questions that should be asked:

How just is "just"?

Also did you try it with other headphones, with no headphones connected, and the headphones on some other device?

And try leaving it for an hour or two to see if it's a fuse.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PolishPandaBear posted:

I've been looking at Dekoni to see which headphones have the biggest cup size. It appears that the Sennheiser HD558/9 HD598/9 series pads have a 72mm by 47mm interior clearance. The HD600 series seems to have 65mm by 44mm. Is there a big reason to get the HD600 series over the 500? I'm interested in open back to get a little better sound stage and maybe cooling.

Immensely better sound quality, except in the case of the 560s. I don't think going by your measurements is a good idea, they don't tell you how a headphone will actually fit. If your goal actually is "the biggest cup diameter" for whatever reason, get the HD800 i guess.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

endlessmonotony posted:

Basic troubleshooting questions that should be asked:

How just is "just"?

Also did you try it with other headphones, with no headphones connected, and the headphones on some other device?

And try leaving it for an hour or two to see if it's a fuse.

Dropped my headphones. Picked them up. DAC is now dead. DAC was secured to the desk with 3 zipties, and the headphone cable is long, so I'm pretty certain it didn't 'tug' on the DAC, but I'm not seeing any other explanation for this.

Windows picks it up but there's no sound, when turning it on/off from the volume know the power light goes on for 1/2 second, then dies.
Headphones work perfectly fine when connected to the motherboard out, my phone or my laptop, and so do the speakers (which were connected to the DAC's line out), so I can be 100% certain it's the DAC and not the headphones.

I've tried:
-Same USB cable in different USB port (same issue)
-Different USB cable, same port (same issue)
-Both cables on a different port (same issue)
-Both cables on another PC (same issue)
-Leaving it off for a couple of hours (same issue)
All of these with/without headphones connected to the DAC, and different gain/bass switch combinations.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 29, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Edmond Dantes posted:

Dropped my headphones. Picked them up. DAC is now dead. DAC was secured to the desk with 3 zipties, and the headphone cable is long, so I'm pretty certain it didn't 'tug' on the DAC, but I'm not seeing any other explanation for this.

Windows picks it up but there's no sound, when turning it on/off from the volume know the power light goes on for 1/2 second, then dies.
Headphones work perfectly fine when connected to the motherboard out, my phone or my laptop, and so do the speakers (which were connected to the DAC's line out), so I can be 100% certain it's the DAC and not the headphones.

I've tried:
-Same USB cable in different USB port (same issue)
-Different USB cable, same port (same issue)
-Both cables on a different port (same issue)
-Both cables on another PC (same issue)
-Leaving it off for a couple of hours (same issue)
All of these with/without headphones connected to the DAC, and different gain/bass switch combinations.

Looking at these details (especially if the DAC does the same with other headphones) - yeah, it tugged the port and probably caused a short as a result then.

I was wondering if it could be the headphones and not the DAC but it's the DAC and the repair's harder than trivial.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Immensely better sound quality, except in the case of the 560s. I don't think going by your measurements is a good idea, they don't tell you how a headphone will actually fit. If your goal actually is "the biggest cup diameter" for whatever reason, get the HD800 i guess.

Hah, those look awesome. I guess I should have been more clear about budget. To narrow it down, I'd like to keep to ~$200 US, especially if I'll need to get an amp later.

I am concerned about cup size, but I want good quality sound too. After looking at these a little closer, I'm considering the HD6XX vs. the HD599. Is the 560S something I should look at?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was taking a look at the Fulla 4 or the Hel 2, but Schiit has a 6-8 week shipping period listed for both of those and some cursory googling is telling horror stories about people being on week 15 of wait for them with no updates other than 'sorry, covid'. Which make sense, but does throw a hell of a wrench in my plans since my friends are travelling to the states in a month and international shipping is not an option (just trust me on this).

Any other suggestions on amp/dac combos for 100~150 bucks?

endlessmonotony posted:

Looking at these details (especially if the DAC does the same with other headphones) - yeah, it tugged the port and probably caused a short as a result then.

I was wondering if it could be the headphones and not the DAC but it's the DAC and the repair's harder than trivial.

Yeah, it's pretty much the only explanation I can come up with, but man. :(

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I have a topping d10 they are around $100 atm, had it for years with my atom amp and love it. I think it was a fair bit cheaper when I bought mine, as I recall the atom dac being much more expensive, or maybe only the element line was out at that time?

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 29, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

PolishPandaBear posted:

Hah, those look awesome. I guess I should have been more clear about budget. To narrow it down, I'd like to keep to ~$200 US, especially if I'll need to get an amp later.

I am concerned about cup size, but I want good quality sound too. After looking at these a little closer, I'm considering the HD6XX vs. the HD599. Is the 560S something I should look at?

I have the 560s. The sound is awesome, but they’re a bit clampy and the cup size doesn’t feel that great, especially because the pad material is kind of hard

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
My father's hearing isn't great anymore (he's in his 70s) and has to turn the TV up too much to hear, which bothers others, so my family has asked me to find a wireless headphone solution.

I'm okay with finding the headphones myself but I don't know what the best option is for getting the sound transmitted from the TV to the headphones. What kind of product should I be looking for here? The relevant factors are cost and portability, because we'd like to be able to move it between his permanent residence and a summer place. So a big wireless amp would be discouraged.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Listerine posted:

My father's hearing isn't great anymore (he's in his 70s) and has to turn the TV up too much to hear, which bothers others, so my family has asked me to find a wireless headphone solution.

I'm okay with finding the headphones myself but I don't know what the best option is for getting the sound transmitted from the TV to the headphones. What kind of product should I be looking for here? The relevant factors are cost and portability, because we'd like to be able to move it between his permanent residence and a summer place. So a big wireless amp would be discouraged.

Sennheiser makes a set of headphones specifically for this purpose. Look for the Sennheiser RS120 II.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Ok, I am completely sold on this KZ DQ6 set after another full couple of days listening to them exclusively, I totally get the original hype for this set. So much better than the standard DD/BA hybrids you usually get from mass production Chi-Fi cheapie sets. It's a good yin to the Tanchjim Tanya's yang. Where the Tanya is warmer, more relaxed and more spacious, the DQ6 is tighter, cleaner sounding, and has sharper imaging. The bass is actually superb on the DQ6 as well, great technical resolution/texture and it hits hard.

I'm glad I dug them out from junk drawer purgatory.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

trem_two posted:

Ok, I am completely sold on this KZ DQ6 set after another full couple of days listening to them exclusively, I totally get the original hype for this set. So much better than the standard DD/BA hybrids you usually get from mass production Chi-Fi cheapie sets. It's a good yin to the Tanchjim Tanya's yang. Where the Tanya is warmer, more relaxed and more spacious, the DQ6 is tighter, cleaner sounding, and has sharper imaging. The bass is actually superb on the DQ6 as well, great technical resolution/texture and it hits hard.

I'm glad I dug them out from junk drawer purgatory.

I've been in need of a new set for office listening, and after reading your post I decided to grab a pair, 22$ after an AE coupon definitely can't complain about the price, look forward to trying them in a month or two hah.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Rakeris posted:

I've been in need of a new set for office listening, and after reading your post I decided to grab a pair, 22$ after an AE coupon definitely can't complain about the price, look forward to trying them in a month or two hah.

Hopefully I didn’t lead you astray. One thing to note is that the stock tips are garbage, or at the very least I couldn’t get a seal with the largest ones. If you have other tips lying around it won’t be a problem, but the nozzle is a bit narrow, so you might need tips designed for like a 4mm or 4.5mm nozzle. So you might need to experiment a bit.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
My Koss KSC75 + Parts Express headphones + Yaxi pads all showed up today. The KSC75 with this setup is in fact more comfortable to me than the Porta Pros or even the KPH30i. The headband is so light and crappy and flimsy and has just barely any clamp. I love it.

In terms of sound these seem a bit less warm than the other 2 Koss sets but mostly the same.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
I’m looking to get over-ear noise canceling headphones for work. I looked into Sony WH-1000XM4 and Bose QC35, but neither fits my need to be able to connect to both phone and computer. Both seem fine price and quality wise though.

I’m looking for Bluetooth connectivity (my phone does not have a port) and USB or 3.5mm connectivity to my computer (my computer does not have Bluetooth. IT policy). Both audio and microphone would need to work with both connection modes (so I can take meetings).

I work in a setting that’s practically a construction site, so in addition to noise cancelling being valuable, it’s a coin flip as to whether I’ll have phone, WiFi, or Ethernet line connectivity.

I would also prefer the ear cups to be large as possible - preference due to my ears.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Hackjack fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 1, 2021

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The Jabra Evolve2 85 probably fits all your requirements, it can connect to your computer via dongle or wired USB connection, and simultaneously connects to your phone via Bluetooth. It also has a boom mic. I haven't used the Evolve2 85 myself, I actually own a set of the Evolve 65 for Zoom meetings which works quite well either going through the computer or phone.

e: Maybe the cheaper Jabra Elite 85h would work too? Not sure if the mic works via 3.5mm or USB though.

mes fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 1, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

trem_two posted:

My Koss KSC75 + Parts Express headphones + Yaxi pads all showed up today. The KSC75 with this setup is in fact more comfortable to me than the Porta Pros or even the KPH30i. The headband is so light and crappy and flimsy and has just barely any clamp. I love it.

In terms of sound these seem a bit less warm than the other 2 Koss sets but mostly the same.

you can't describe a monster like that without posting pics

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

mes posted:

The Jabra Evolve2 85 probably fits all your requirements, it can connect to your computer via dongle or wired USB connection, and simultaneously connects to your phone via Bluetooth. It also has a boom mic. I haven't used the Evolve2 85 myself, I actually own a set of the Evolve 65 for Zoom meetings which works quite well either going through the computer or phone.

e: Maybe the cheaper Jabra Elite 85h would work too? Not sure if the mic works via 3.5mm or USB though.

I was thinking the same. I have the Evolve 75 and it’s great at the headset part (calls, connectivity, switching between phone and laptop) and decent enough at the headphone part. The noise isolation on the 75 isn’t great due to the on-the-ear design and the ANC can only do so much on top of that. I haven’t tried the 85s but I would expect those issues to be better with the over-the-ear cups.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you can't describe a monster like that without posting pics

They just look like the crappy headphones I had in the 80s but with bigger earpieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Reminds me that the original orange foam Sony Walkman headphones are starting to have wireless knockoffs made of them.