Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Dear Straid,

Your pryomancy spells are hilarious for pvp.

Sincerely,

your besty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Calidus posted:

Dear Straid,

Your pryomancy spells are hilarious for pvp.

Sincerely,

your besty

Dear Straid,

I don't know if they're your friends or what, but could you please move to somewhere that isn't filled with exploding mummies?

Sincerely,

A feeble undead

Realtalk; yeah his spells are pretty great but lingering flame is simultaneously awful and amazing. I always equip it because its useful but taking up two slots AND having the worlds longest cast time makes it pretty painful to use.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Drangleic could be worse, could be full of Gauls.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Drangleic could be worse, could be full of Gauls.

I actually wondered, how are spears in the game?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
^^^The exact same move is performed for every button. This move is "poke."

I love killing Straid every single game. I'll show you who the feeble cursed one is buddy.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 9, 2014

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Freeing Straid is like dropping the first atomic bomb.

What have I unleashed upon this world. Scariest NPC by far.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

^^^The exact same move is performed for every button. This move is "poke."

Not true. Quite a few of the spears now have a wide horizontal slash as their 1h R2.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Not true. Quite a few of the spears now have a wide horizontal slash as their 1h R2.

If you wanna poke, use a lance. At least with the grand lance, light attack combo is poke-poke. Heavy attack is a charge the poke that hits several times. I'm sure jump attack is poke too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dreggon posted:

There's one spot in Aldia's Keep, a chest on the right at the very top of the main foyer area just past the caged basilisk. As you look down that little alcove, you see a chest at the end, so of course, you go to take a look. And there are... bloodstains. Not just one or two, but six. Eight. Twelve. That's usually a sign of bad things, especially this far into the game.

On your left, some boarded up windows. Light streams through them - there's the rest of the world on the other side of those boards. Those bloodstains mean there are probably enemies there, waiting to ambush you. Slowly, carefully walking towards that chest, shield up, ready for the trap.

Reaching the chest - nothing's happened yet. Must be the chest, either it's trapped or you open it and get ambushed. You flip it open... no trap. Look behind you - nothing. Grab the item, start heading back, past all the bloodstains, thinking "when's it gonna happen?". End of the alcove and... nothing.

You tap one of the bloodstains.

Twelve people all dying to the loving basilisk in the cage :negative:

I get the feeling that people must just become really complacent with bloodstains and orange messages or something and forget to use them. Anytime I see a huge loving pile of stains the first thing I do is mash a couple of them to try and figure out what went wrong, and at least 80% of the time it's someone chaos dunking themselves off a cliff.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Where do you burn an Ascetic for the Double Pursuer fight?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Internet Kraken posted:

Realtalk; yeah his spells are pretty great but lingering flame is simultaneously awful and amazing. I always equip it because its useful but taking up two slots AND having the worlds longest cast time makes it pretty painful to use.

I like putting them in the Belfry Sol lever room I then proceed laughing at bell boys who charge inside.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cowcaster posted:

I get the feeling that people must just become really complacent with bloodstains and orange messages or something and forget to use them. Anytime I see a huge loving pile of stains the first thing I do is mash a couple of them to try and figure out what went wrong, and at least 80% of the time it's someone chaos dunking themselves off a cliff.

I will never get tired of watching bloodstains near jumps like to get the pharros lockstone by the second Huntsman's Copse bonfire. Down by the bonfire there's always a huge smear of them from people who somehow don't realize you can jump from the top of the ladder. Just barreling out of the bonfire room and plummeting to their deaths over and over.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Artificer posted:

Where do you burn an Ascetic for the Double Pursuer fight?

Might not be asceticable, but if it is it's gonna be Kings Gate.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I think I have you all beaten for best bloodstains. The ones in Majula, near the mansion (not inside)

The messages are watch out for enemy! or Despair! Those little bastards will wreck your poo poo if you aren't careful.

Also the most bloodstains is a certain boss fight.

King Vendrick.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Shindragon posted:

I think I have you all beaten for best bloodstains. The ones in Majula, near the mansion (not inside)

The messages are watch out for enemy! or Despair! Those little bastards will wreck your poo poo if you aren't careful.
Hardest enemies in the game, no kidding. The damage reduction on the piggies is absurd.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Cardiovorax posted:

Hardest enemies in the game, no kidding. The damage reduction on the piggies is absurd.

In day[9]'s play through he immediately hit them, battles for ten minutes, ran through all his life gems, then died. He never even picked up his estus.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Genocyber posted:

Most people are really really bad. Especially in the early areas. see: the billions of bloodstains in the mansion basement.

This a million times. My first time down there i got myself all steeled up after seeing the stains..

one skeleton... Don't give up

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Dueling naked against a million variations of Havel/hooded samurai on the Iron Keep bridge. Don't be yellow bellied and spend ten minutes trying to shoot me off the crumbled portion above the lava, come down here. :colbert:

I dunno what the rewards for being a red or dragon spirit are but they are pretty determined to end every fight asap.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Dark Souls II: Glabella Width (PC Thread)

Dark Souls II: Glabella Depth (Console Thread)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Dueling naked against a million variations of Havel/hooded samurai on the Iron Keep bridge. Don't be yellow bellied and spend ten minutes trying to shoot me off the crumbled portion above the lava, come down here. :colbert:

I dunno what the rewards for being a red or dragon spirit are but they are pretty determined to end every fight asap.

Each dragonbro fight won is basically a dragon scale.

10 of these gives you the dragon head (aka breathe fire)

20 of these gives you the dragon torso (aka super sayian power up)

30 of these give you the dragon greatsword.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Each dragonbro fight won is basically a dragon scale.

10 of these gives you the dragon head (aka breathe fire)

20 of these gives you the dragon torso (aka super sayian power up)

30 of these give you the dragon greatsword.

Pft another greatsword to lose amongst their vast collection. Anyway I just won like my 20th fight by double K.O, dragon cult is feeling the hurt.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel the same way. It's such a long cast time, and it kind of goes away a bit too fast for my taste. At the same time, you get hilarious moments with it sometimes. I was bellbroing, was summoned in near the fog. Threw down a mine at the door. Right as I placed it and was moving away/climbing the ladder in Sol, the host rushes past me, and tried to get through the fog door.

Wish I had grabbed a screenshot of him blowing up.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What are some good PvE weapons for a Str/Fth character besides the Mace? Getting a little tired of using it since the start of the game. I'm about level 70.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is the Ring of Prayer any good? Does the 5 Faith really give any significant boosts to Lightning weapons or Miracles?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I feel the same way. It's such a long cast time, and it kind of goes away a bit too fast for my taste. At the same time, you get hilarious moments with it sometimes. I was bellbroing, was summoned in near the fog. Threw down a mine at the door. Right as I placed it and was moving away/climbing the ladder in Sol, the host rushes past me, and tried to get through the fog door.

Wish I had grabbed a screenshot of him blowing up.

One of the things that really annoys me about lingering flame is if you cast it to close to a wall or something, it doesn't work. The little flame appears but if it touches a wall it just fizzles out instantly. Pretty loving annoying given how long it takes to cast.

VisAbsoluta posted:

What are some good PvE weapons for a Str/Fth character besides the Mace? Getting a little tired of using it since the start of the game. I'm about level 70.

Anything your heart desires. You can use any weapon in PvE, so just use whatever you think is cool. The mastodon greatsword is a safe and reliable choice for a strength character though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is lingering flame that sort of floating mine that sticks around for a second and then explodes with the force of a supernova? I spent some time killing the sorceresses at the top of Earthen Peak thinking they were complete pushovers with that triple fireball spell that couldn't hit poo poo, and then after my umpteenth time through there one of them whipped that out as I was closing in for a head-clubbing and obliterated me.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not really. I just use that ring when I don't wanna pump stats into FTH.

edit: Yes that is lingering flame. Flaming Swathe is basically the swirl and then explode.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Artificer posted:

Is the Ring of Prayer any good? Does the 5 Faith really give any significant boosts to Lightning weapons or Miracles?
It's completely worthless. Five levels' worth of Faith in exchange for a ring slot is an awful deal, especially because scaling basically doesn't matter in DS2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Is lingering flame that sort of floating mine that sticks around for a minute and then explodes with the force of a supernova? I spent some time killing the sorceresses at the top of Earthen Peak thinking they were complete pushovers with that triple fireball spell that couldn't hit poo poo, and then after my umpteenth time through there one of them whipped that out and obliterated me.

Pretty much. Their version is better of course.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Not really. I just use that ring when I don't wanna pump stats into FTH.

What is its point then, if it doesn't boost miracles or lightning weapons that much? Fulfilling basic minimums for Miracles and Chimes?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VisAbsoluta posted:

Barbed Club, though that requires to you unlock Straid and kill Flexible Sentry.

Flexible Sentry's 3 weapons are surprisingly good, at least 2 of them are pretty rad (Warped Sword, Barbed Club) with the third one being merely okay (Arced Sword).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Artificer posted:

What is its point then, if it doesn't boost miracles or lightning weapons that much? Fulfilling basic minimums for Miracles and Chimes?

Pretty much.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I beat the giant boss in the old forest, now I dont really know where to go, there's just a dead end with a door that requires some item. I found this area with towers and big enemies but they're too tough for me to beat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Artificer posted:

There are tons of useless rings so I wouldn't think too hard about it.

WYA posted:

I beat the giant boss in the old forest, now I dont really know where to go, there's just a dead end with a door that requires some item. I found this area with towers and big enemies but they're too tough for me to beat.

Get better at fighting the big guys then because that's the next destination. They're a lot easier to kill with a blunt weapon.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Pretty much.

Would it be worth using if 5 points will let me use the Dragon Chime?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Get better at fighting the big guys then because that's the next destination. They're a lot easier to kill with a blunt weapon.

His other option is to kill the other boss jerk-guy in Old Forest. From the lost giant's elevator, assuming you're looking at it. Turn right, go out the door ahead of you (big rear end room with a ruined wall exposed to the coast), turn right again and open the door in front of you.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Artificer posted:

Would it be worth using if 5 points will let me use the Dragon Chime?

That's what I did. :v:

I was using a mudane build gimmick and basically at the point getting 5 levels was going to be a pain (roughly 135k souls for me at that point) so I was like gently caress it bought the ring and yeah lighting infused Dragon Chime is basically the most powerful lighting based chime in the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WYA posted:

You have two options:

1) Get through the giants anyway.

2) The boss gave you a key. It opens three different doors in that castle. One of them goes to the next zone. Go find it!

Either of these is a viable approach.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Two questions, first of all how long does lingering flame last? I kinda want to setup some traps with it for Rat King Covenant, but it would be nice to know if I have to wait to cast it until the guy comes out or if I can just load the area up as soon as I see summoning grey phantom.

Also, shall I just go ahead and assume cheats are out now? Just encountered a guy who was taking no damage whatsoever from any of my spells or the rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Revdomezehis posted:

Also, shall I just go ahead and assume cheats are out now? Just encountered a guy who was taking no damage whatsoever from any of my spells or the rats.

Cheats have been out! Enjoy those assholes with infinite HP and 99 in each stat!