Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh! Then maybe you can answer this, and I mean no offense, but what's up with you and henhouses?

Holy poo poo, MODS?! Can we get a ban on this filth?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

No thank you. :)

Foxes are also trickster spirits/animals in the West, but we don't call sneaky looking people fox eyed. It was a silly comment that got called out.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 00:38 on May 2, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
quite an unnerving series of posts about fox eyes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This figurine is from a gay romance game where the main character you control shits bloody meat out of his rear end, which is cannibal meat that jerks him off. Consumerism has made it possible to enjoy this concept in three dimensions. Actually the fourth dimension is time. You can stare at this a while.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Yeah ok. That certainly counts as unnerving

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

That all sounds completely horrible, and yet I find myself reverse searching that image anyway.

Goddamned internet. :argh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
google "sweet pool review"

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pick posted:

Well that sure was a thing I read. Reminded me of something Clive Barker might have written.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Did it turn up Guts or we that Palahniuk story is

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lol

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

This jpg is going to get a lot of use in this thread. Please save for future reference.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Avshalom posted:

i'm an actual fox irl

How's it feel that Hendrix wrote a song about you?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just had a pleasant surprise. I was listening to the Australian podcast Casefile (very good) and I got to an unsolved serial murder from the 1990s. It finished with the usual sad "We'll probably never know". At the bottom of the page was an update: the police caught and arrested the guy in December 2016.

http://casefilepodcast.com/claremont/

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Hope this hasn't been posted yet. Organ Harvesting from Falun Gong Practitioners in China

quote:

Reports of organ harvesting from Falun Gong practitioners and other political prisoners in China have raised increasing concern in the international community. According to the reports, political prisoners, mainly Falun Gong practitioners, are being executed "on demand" in order to provide organs to recipients. The organ harvesting is said to be taking place both as a result of the Chinese Communist Party's persecution of Falun Gong and because of the financial incentives available to the institutions and individuals involved in the trade.

Reports on systematic organ harvesting from Falun Gong prisoners first emerged in 2006, though the practice is thought to have started six years earlier. Several researchers—most notably Canadian human rights lawyer David Matas, former parliamentarian David Kilgour, and investigative journalist Ethan Gutmann—estimate that tens of thousands of Falun Gong prisoners of conscience have been killed to supply a lucrative trade in human organs and cadavers, and that these abuses may be ongoing. These conclusions are based on a combination of statistical analysis; interviews with former prisoners, medical authorities and public security agents; and circumstantial evidence, such as the large number of Falun Gong practitioners detained extrajudicially in China and the profits to be made from selling organs.

If you read the rest of the article it gives a good background on the issue and a good deal of supporting evidence.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

cult member at airport posted:

Hope this hasn't been posted yet. Organ Harvesting from Falun Gong Practitioners in China

If you read the rest of the article it gives a good background on the issue and a good deal of supporting evidence.

Didn't they have to retract some kind of medical paper recently when it turned out all the organs used in the study came from executed criminals?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Avshalom posted:

no the correct thing to do is to grab them by the tail, whirl them round your head and smack them on the ground

knowing this story means im guaranteed some real disappointment w/r/t snake disposal in the future :(

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-addiction-that-completely-destroyed-this-man-s-1794882542

quote:

“Before we get to your car questions,” my former next door neighbor, Terrance, said, “I need to tell you both something. My wife left me. My kids won’t talk to me. I lost my job. I embezzled almost a half a million dollars because I’m addicted to BMWs, and have been hiding them all over the state. I’ll probably be going to prison soon.”

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

quote:

He also had 12 other BMWs stored in the parking lot of the company he worked for.
Surprised his boss could just lose 24 spaces like that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just listened to the excellent Casefile on the Yorkshire Ripper. The high-level police mistakes are maddening. Losing individual documents when you're hand-filing tens of thousands of them is one thing, but insisting on using evidence after it's proven to be a hoax is unforgivable. As is censoring the investigative report because it is too critical of the police.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I mean if we're doing the organ trade/red market ITT, the deeper down the rabbit hole you go the grimmer it gets. A little :nms: if you're having a bad day

Blood Farming
https://www.wired.com/2011/06/red-market-excerpt/

quote:

A FEW DAYS before the Indian celebration of Holi, an emaciated man with graying skin, drooping eyes, and rows of purple needle marks on both arms stumbled up to a group of farmers in the sweltering Indian border town of Gorakhpur. The city is the first stop for many thousands of refugees streaming in from Nepal, a country even more perpetually impoverished than India. Over the years endless refugee hardship stories had dulled the farmers’ instincts for sympathy, and junkies were even lower on their list for charity handouts. at first the farmers ignored the man’s request for bus fare. But he persisted. He wasn’t a refugee, he said. He was escaping from a makeshift prison where his captor siphoned off his blood for profit. The farmers shook off their stupor and called the police.

For the last three years the man had been held captive in a brick-and-tin shed just a few minutes’ walk from where the farmers were drinking tea. The marks on his arms weren’t the tell-tale signs of heroin addiction; they came from where his captor, a ruthless modern-day vampire and also a local dairy farmer and respected landowner named Papu Yadhav, punctured his skin with a hollow syringe. He had kept the man captive so he could drain his blood and sell it to blood banks. The man had managed to slip out when Yadhav had forgotten to lock the door behind him.

The emaciated man brought the officers to his prison of the last three years: a hastily constructed shack sandwiched between Papu Yadhav’s concrete home and a cowshed. A brass padlock hung from the iron door’s solid latch. The officers could hear the muffled sounds of humanity through the quarter inch of metal.

They sprung the lock and revealed a medical ward fit for a horror movie. IV drips hung from makeshift poles and patients moaned as if they were recovering from a delirium. Five emaciated men lying on small woven cots could barely lift their heads to acknowledge the visitors. The sticky air inside was far from sterile. The sun beating down on the tin roof above their heads magnified the heat like a tandoor oven. One man stared at the ceiling with glassy eyes as his blood snaked through a tube and slowly drained into a plastic blood bag on the floor. He was too weak to protest.

The neighbourhood of "Kidneyvakkam" in Chennai
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-pound-of-flesh-organ-trade-thrives-in-indian-slums-a-488281.html

quote:

Villivakkam, a slum in the north of Chennai, is known as "Kidneyvakkam" or "Kidneytown" among the locals. Surveys conducted for the health ministry show almost every family includes someone who has sold their kidney. The situation is similar in the neighboring refugee camp of Tsunami Nagar, which was set up for the victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Here, the kidneys of patients in good health can be bought "for between 20,000 and 40,000 rupees," one former middleman reveals.

"The kidney donors are often poor young women," reports George Kurian from the Christian Medical College Hospital in Vellore. "The buyers, on the other hand, are usually older and well-off men." According to press reports, about 100,000 Indians require a kidney transplant every year. In addition, some two million suffer from serious kidney problems. The demand is huge -- and the kidneys tend to go to those with the most money.

quote:

And kidneys are in ample supply: Sums of between €500 and €700 are no trifle in India, and there is a correspondingly large number of people willing to surrender a kidney. But in the long term, the organ vendors don't benefit. A study by the health ministry shows that the organ transplants are associated with enormous health risks. Morever, they don't even improve the donors' financial situation in the long term.

"Ninety percent of the organ donors live below the poverty line," says health expert Thiru V.K. Subburaj. "But by the time their debts have been paid off and enough food and clothing has been bought for the family, most of the money has been used up."

quote:

But that isn't all. Many organ donors complain about having received too little aftercare and admit that they were left in a weakened state for a long time after the operation. They are no longer able to perform their everyday work as usual. This leads to the follow-up health costs being much higher, in the long run, than the financial benefits associated with the organ sale. It's not even unusual for the donors to "die from the effects of a negligently carried out operation," says Ravindranath from the Authorization Committee.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Haha wow they gave the dude they caught nine months for literally kidnapping people and harvesting their blood for years. And all the hospitals just switched to buying it from other people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I mean if we're doing the organ trade/red market ITT, the deeper down the rabbit hole you go the grimmer it gets. A little :nms: if you're having a bad day

Blood Farming
https://www.wired.com/2011/06/red-market-excerpt/

The neighbourhood of "Kidneyvakkam" in Chennai
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-pound-of-flesh-organ-trade-thrives-in-indian-slums-a-488281.html

Ugh. Now I know this is a thing.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Didn't the KLA also do that in Kosovo with Serbs?

(Waits for inevitable KLF joke.....)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

(Waits for inevitable KLF joke.....)

What time is love?!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Forgotten Story Of The Radium Girls, Whose Deaths Saved Thousands Of Workers' Lives

quote:

In 1922, one of Grace’s colleagues, Mollie Maggia, had to quit the studio because she was sick. She didn’t know what was wrong with her. Her trouble had started with an aching tooth: Her dentist pulled it, but then the next tooth started hurting and also had to be extracted. In the place of the missing teeth, agonizing ulcers sprouted as dark flowers, blooming red and yellow with blood and pus. They seeped constantly and made her breath foul. Then she suffered aching pains in her limbs that were so agonizing they eventually left her unable to walk. The doctor thought it was rheumatism; he sent her home with aspirin.

By May 1922, Mollie was desperate. At that point, she had lost most of her teeth and the mysterious infection had spread: Her entire lower jaw, the roof of her mouth, and even some of the bones of her ears were said to be "one large abscess." But worse was to come. When her dentist prodded delicately at her jawbone in her mouth, to his horror and shock, it broke against his fingers. He removed it, "not by an operation, but merely by putting his fingers in her mouth and lifting it out." Only days later, her entire lower jaw was removed in the same way.

Mollie was literally falling apart. And she wasn’t the only one; by now, Grace Fryer, too, was having trouble with her jaw and suffering pains in her feet, and so were the other radium girls.

On September 12, 1922, the strange infection that had plagued Mollie Maggia for less than a year spread to the tissues of her throat. The disease slowly ate its way through her jugular vein. At 5 p.m. that day, her mouth was flooded with blood as she hemorrhaged so fast that her nurse could not staunch it. She died at the age of 24. With her doctors flummoxed as to the cause of death, her death certificate, erroneously, said she’d died of syphilis, something her former company would later use against her.

As if by clockwork, one by one, Mollie’s former colleagues soon followed her to the grave.

There's some very nasty pictures in the article, so be forewarned. The article is also infuriating, albeit for the right reasons.

QuoProQuid has a new favorite as of 15:59 on May 6, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

The Forgotten Story Of The Radium Girls, Whose Deaths Saved Thousands Of Workers' Lives

There's some very nasty pictures in the article, so be forewarned. The article is also infuriating, albeit for the right reasons.

Of course, there's a Dollop about it http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-99-smollop/

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Wow, that's a fascinating story with the ghost girls. I never even thought about how or when OSHA was formed. Those poor girls. :smith:

Their bones glowing in their graves. :stare:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
If you want to read more about messed up radiation accidents and mishaps I'd recommend Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters book by James Mahaffey. There's a bunch of stuff from back in the day when people were selling all kinds of radiation stuff and ointments. Because it looks neat and glows in the dark. Nobody knew how dangerous that poo poo was.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Pingiivi posted:

If you want to read more about messed up radiation accidents and mishaps I'd recommend Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters book by James Mahaffey. There's a bunch of stuff from back in the day when people were selling all kinds of radiation stuff and ointments. Because it looks neat and glows in the dark. Nobody knew how dangerous that poo poo was.

Holy Christ. Alright, that's going on the reading list, thanks!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
One of the people involved in the snowtown murders is up for parole. Not one of the killers mind

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-08/bodies-in-barrels-accomplice-could-be-released-this-year/8505958

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

Loose Ifer has a new favorite as of 19:41 on May 10, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

One of the people involved in the snowtown murders is up for parole. Not one of the killers mind

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-08/bodies-in-barrels-accomplice-could-be-released-this-year/8505958

Seems about right, especially with how controlling and manipulative Bunting was. If all he ever did was help bury the bodies I think 18 years of a 25 year sentence is enough.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dogecoin gets dark

quote:

Dogetipbot’s failure is also most likely the death knell for Dogecoin in general. The currency has been slowly disintegrating since vape enthusiast Alex Green—formerly Ryan Kennedy, who stole millions in customer funds in another cryptocurrency scam—pushed out the original creators and moderators for Dogecoin in a soft coup to the benefit of his new dogecoin exchange, Moolah. Moolah has since declared bankruptcy after a “hack”. Kennedy has subsequently been imprisoned for abusing and raping three women.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pick posted:

Dogecoin gets dark

The whole crypto-currency culture is rife with oxygen thieves.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Pick posted:

Dogecoin gets dark

Memes. Memes never changes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Christ. I didn't realize someone had turned that joke into an actual cryptocurrency. The meme went too far.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Christ. I didn't realize someone had turned that joke into an actual cryptocurrency. The meme went too far.

You missed a lot. For instance, this is from a real NASCAR race:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

You missed a lot. For instance, this is from a real NASCAR race:

:psyduck:

Why?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dogecoin sponsored a NASCAR driver, what the heck does it look like???