Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My posts are correct, don't be mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

the thing is I think FB & twitter in particular need spam accounts otherwise their numbers will look super bad, like a laundry detergent would rather have 5 million followers, 4.5 of whom are fake than 1 million legit ones

e: also FB would rather charge $100 for promotion to those 5 million than $25 to 1 mil

yeah at the end of the day it's advertisers who are getting bilked while anyone with half a brain knows those numbers are meaningless. if anything i hope they get even better at ripping off faceless megacorps

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"internet ads perform poorly so we're directing our customers back into traditional media," said an ad exec with a straight face

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i love watching privileged assholes stir up a poo poo storm over lowering speed limits. it loving rules. they lowered speed limits in some residential areas here and the tears over it were monumental.

lowering speed limits is stupid unless you also install traffic calming devices

you can post signs that say 25 mph, but if your residential area has 100 ft highways for roads, people will still blow down them at 45 mph. if you put in speedbumps, they'll just be constantly accelerating and braking

we know how to fix this

narrow your roads.
split the road -- two narrow 1-ways with central tree/grass/walkway areas.
install bike lanes and jersey barriers.
put in those weird stud things instead of speed bumps

streets are for people, not cars. fix the suburbs, one subdivision at a time.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can post signs that say 25 mph, but if your residential area has 100 ft highways for roads, people will still blow down them at 45 mph. if you put in speedbumps, they'll just be constantly accelerating and braking

we know how to fix this

narrow your roads.

so basically a revolution

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
also if you live along a major highway maybe you should just fuckin' accept that you made a bad housing choice.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
distracted drivers are the problem who are driving too fast

if everyone drives slower the problem of distracted drivers is mitigated as they aren't driving too fast while distracted

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
drivers are the problem period. if there wasn't any traffic at all, there wouldn't be any traffic fatalities at all

smash all machines, hail ludd

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

bicycles have killed pedestrians

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

Lot of people in yospos lately making assholes out of themselves and then rolling with the punches. lol

don't sign

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

I said all machines not just cars

admittedly that leaves horses which can also be quite dangerous. hmm, this may call for extreme measures.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Smash all horses.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

sharks kill swimmers too

makes you think

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

just release a plastic bag nearby, the horses will solve themselves

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Necc0 posted:

ever wonder to yourself 'how the gently caress did anyone 'like' tide let alone 4 million'

i see people on my friends list that i have reason to believe are real people liking brands semi-regularly

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qirex posted:

I used to live in "tower 737" and I can tell you it's not really on nob hill and it's full of spoiled academy of art students

wouldn't they be priced out already by this point

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Build canals and commute by rowboat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ShadowHawk posted:

Build canals and commute by rowboat

would gladly commute via speedboat between a bunch of repurposed oil rigs turned into cool offices

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

traffic is so bad in the dc area the behavior on the capital beltway is rapidly becoming like driving in a developing country

my favorite thing is people who use merging lanes as passing lanes when no one is moving

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I went from commuting 3 hours a day by bus +1 hour by car to 15 minutes each way by bike and life is amazing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we know how to fix this

narrow your roads.

absolutely correct - speedbumps also slow down emergency vehicles and create noise pollution

i had a project once in this small southern louisianian town wherein we were redesigning their signage layout

basically they received a grant from the feds to replace all of their signs - since they were so small and poor this had never happened since they went in during the 50s

well in order to do any kinda work on your signage you've gotta hire some engineers to make sure that you follow current design standards for whatever you're putting up - another town that i did like this basically didn't have stop signs and they were adamant that i replace each and every one of their 4-way yields at their intersections (the grant program director ended up having to tell them no on that one)

anyway, when me and my boss went in to meet w/ the mayor and their police chief they laid it all out for us - where the schools were and how the local ordinances worded their school zones for distance and blah blah blah

so when it comes to posted speeds the police chief pipes up that they're about to pass an ordinance setting a blanket 20mph limit within the entire city's limits - school zones will also be 20mph but fines will just be larger within them when they're active (b/c little rural towns are absolutely full of olds)

the program director just started laughing his rear end off at that and explained what the 85th percentile speed is and how much of an enforcement problem that would be and how no engineer would sign off on that and basically put the kebosh on their whole idea there - which is exactly why municipalities are required to hire engineers for this type of work

last i heard this town was trying to go hog wild on traffic calming via roadside tree planting

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ShadowHawk posted:

I went from commuting 3 hours a day by bus +1 hour by car to 15 minutes each way by bike and life is amazing

bike commuting is the best.

you get to show off your :yosbutt:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

having a vagina makes you a worse driver it's scientifically proven

now excuse me while I light my chesterfield and listen to the latest Amos and Andy on the NBC Blue affiliate

well you see there are tens of thousands of years that men have spent hunting and honing that genetic spatial awareness

some kinds of men even have more fast-twitch muscle fiber and furthermore

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

wouldn't they be priced out already by this point

their parents are already paying 50 grand a year for lovely open admission art school, I don't think another 40 grand for housing will,bug them that much

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

traffic is so bad in the dc area the behavior on the capital beltway is rapidly becoming like driving in a developing country

my favorite thing is people who use merging lanes as passing lanes when no one is moving

this is terribly racist

there are first world countries that drive like that too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last i heard this town was trying to go hog wild on traffic calming via roadside tree planting

so everything worked exactly as intended

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well you see there are tens of thousands of years that men have spent hunting and honing that genetic spatial awareness

men, BBRY

etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

nyc's "taxi of tomorrow" is a nissan product originally developed to survive the rigors of third world road maintenance.

as it turns out, mile for mile, driving in manhattan is as hard on your suspension as extended service in kigali or brazzaville

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

so basically a revolution

except it won't take a revolution. people who live in quiet residential neighborhoods want them to remain quiet and residential.

they want to have convenient use of their car, and retain a quiet, comfortable place to live. that is entirely possible and practical.

Nintendo Kid posted:

also if you live along a major highway maybe you should just fuckin' accept that you made a bad housing choice.

the joke is that people build residential subdivisions with roads with lane widths and curve angles that resemble highways

it looks really cool in wide angle photos but it encourages very bad behavior in drivers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

does this mean you gave up on having a separate apartment three hours away for weekend use

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except it won't take a revolution. people who live in quiet residential neighborhoods want them to remain quiet and residential.

they want to have convenient use of their car, and retain a quiet, comfortable place to live. that is entirely possible and practical.

we live in a world where a non-binding and voluntary global agreement to create more sustainable and livable communities is believed by Republican Party to be a conspiracy to deprive americans of individual property rights because of the new world order jews feminists environmentalists.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

does this mean you gave up on having a separate apartment three hours away for weekend use
Yeah I gave that up and decided to work in Mountain View. I moved to my mom's old house in the east bay before she sold it. Now I live in Mountain View.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the joke is that people build residential subdivisions with roads with lane widths and curve angles that resemble highways

it looks really cool in wide angle photos but it encourages very bad behavior in drivers

where i'm from the actual 4 lane (but unmarked) roads a lot of the subdivisions have are inevitably narrowed to barely 2 lanes by people parking cars in the street. some of them are effectively 1 lane across most of the day.

natural traffic calming

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the solution to all of your problems is to hail satan

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the people driving through suburb streets are people who live in those suburbs. no one spends time doing time trials through subdivisions, they're just unfortunate enough to live a mile or two deeper in hell than the olds complaining about them going too fast.

unless you're talking about houses on arterial roads, in which case, gently caress those people, they moved next to a highway. of course there's going to be traffic.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

given enough time and city growth, a pleasant 2 lane street becomes a common route and 15 years later a truck is rolling over 20ft of everyone's driveway to add more lanes and greenspace

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

near my mother's house the state highway admin added mini concrete medians sporadically along a heavily used 2 lane road that goes through various residential neighborhoods and it was a really good idea to slow people down

too bad the road itself is beat up to poo poo and they haven't resurfaced it yet lol

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i have fast-twitch muscle fibre and i'm the whitest person you'll ever meet.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jetz0r posted:

the people driving through suburb streets are people who live in those suburbs. no one spends time doing time trials through subdivisions, they're just unfortunate enough to live a mile or two deeper in hell than the olds complaining about them going too fast.

i agree completely, which is why this problem is so very, very tractable. we can solve this.

the people who live in subdivisions are the ones who are driving too fast. these are the same people who will benefit from traffic calming. these are the same people who walk their dogs and take their families on evening constitutionals on suburban streets. and when they themselves benefit, they will not mind traffic calming one bit.

the suburbs are an october peach, so ripe it begs to be eaten. i can imagine nowhere else where it could be so easy to see public policy work for public good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

qirex posted:

Maybe some good old regionalism will make people stop talking about loving speeding?

my favorite part:
"Mortgage payment v. rent: $3,049 cheaper to rent"
http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2015/04/21/sf-oakland-and-san-jose-named-3-worst-cities-in-the-usa-for-renters/

I used to live in "tower 737" and I can tell you it's not really on nob hill and it's full of spoiled academy of art students

so I had a recruiter from FB reach out to me yesterday, which I thought was pretty neat considering I'm in the rust belt. I don't have any desire to move out west, but was considering answering back for the sake of curiosity. then I stared at the housing prices out there again. its like an optical illusion where if you're not actively looking at it your brain can't comprehend it. a townhouse similar to mine would be ten times what I paid.

where's Subjuncitve at? I can't comprehend how anyone can afford to live out there (without a 4 hour commute each day) even making dev bank.

...still might answer back :3:

• Locked thread