Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
For DD2 I went with the same party that Makaris suggested (PD/Vestal/Crusader/MAA) with the Vestal running dual healing trinkets and it went quite well. I think the Steam guide underrates PD a bit when it says she is too vulnerable to crits: if I'm reading the boss abilities correctly, Templars cannot target rank 4 with direct attacks other than Revelation so the PD is in no danger there despite having lowish health. Since the rank 3 Vestal is being guarded in this setup, the only hero taking noticeable damage is the rank 2 Crusader and he has enough health to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Just ran through DD2 and holy poo poo does a MAA do work there. Guard + riposte absolutely nukes all of the templars. (Thanks for the PD/Vestal/X/MAA strat, Makaris. The PD's DOT removal + the healing + the guard/riposte was amazing.)

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Is it just me or does the Cove have a lower rate of coral spawns than it used to? And the Warrens a lower rate of scrolls? I used to count on one or two coral per medium run (back around release) and recently I often don't even get one. On long missions I'm happy if i get one and extra happy for two.

I just had three coral show up in a short run.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
You're welcome doods, keep posting how things go!

So I've talked about the Flesh and the Pounder, along with the Prophet and Swine Royal in the MAA guide. Cove boss up next.

The Siren is one of the easier bosses. She does low damage, but lots of stress and bleeds. You want to come into this fight with low/no stress. Thankfully this is the Cove so that should be easy enough. Overall this fight is less tactical and more strategic? I hope I'm using those terms right. What I mean is what you do setting up for the fight is at least as important as what you do during it.

Bring 4 spare holy water and have the characters drink right before opening the door. Her call counts as a debuff, so doing this will give you strong resistances. In the opening rounds you will have solid shot at avoiding her call and open her up to getting burst down. A note about her AI is she never targets your character with the highest Debuff resist, and is significantly more likely to go after your character with the lowest. Just something to keep in mind.

Do not bring a Hound or a MAA. You can't afford letting them guard her and slowing down the pace of the battle.

PD > VESTAL > BOUNTY HUNTER > CRUSADER

I've really been starting to come around on the Crusader? Now, he still doesn't have the universal applicability of some of the other classes. But with stress healing how it is right now, at least two on the roster seems super solid. I'm probably going to do a guide on them next.

Anyway, the Crusader's a good pick for the Cove just in general. Especially when equipped with an Eldritch Cross and Stun Helmet, he will tank Pelagic Guardians all day. You can manage a full heal after every single fight with them. It might take 20-30 rounds... but as long as your patience holds out, it's the safest way to go. For the boss fight he'll contribute good damage and stuns.

PD is mandatory every time you go to the Cove, if for nothing else than for the bleed cure. She's not a slouch in the boss fight either, since her DOTS are amazing Vs high HP targets and her stun can harmlessly remove the threat of a called ally. Often you can stun the boss at the same time.

Vestal cause Vestal.

Bounty Hunter is your primary damage dealer and will focus on bursting down the boss. In a pinch he can also contribute stuns against an ally or an enemy. His camping skills will be very useful too for scouting and bonus damage Vs the boss.

The entire party has stuns so you can make sure any summoned guardians stand around uselessly while you chump the boss.

As long as you control the stress in the fight you can usually come out just fine.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 21, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
DD3: Vestal/Plague Doctor/Houndmaster/Hellion

Not going to go too in depth with this one, tldr stun/kill the teleporters and follow a map. Easiest dungeon so far.

DD4: Vestal/Highwayman/Crusader/Hellion

This party was picked primarily for the Reynauld/Dismas achievement and I had Vestals and Hellions to spare to sacrifice, otherwise I would probably prefer to bring 2x Plague Doctors. Another easy fight!

Would have been a no death run, minus the sacrifices, if it weren't for Vvulf. Think I want to go for the ancestor trinket achievement before attempting new game+, literally have never tried fighting the Shambler. What is an ideal party? I was thinking maybe Houndmaster/Houndmaster/Abom/Abom?

Makaris
May 4, 2009
PD > VESTAL > HIGHWAYMAN > MAA

Double reposte just shits all over the shambler. Really the only time I'd recommend the highwayman.

Edit: that and DD1. Same reason.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 21, 2017

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Finally getting around to playing this game. Not sure why I put it off. Pretty dope so far. Was having fun with a party kinda built around stacking bleeds, aoe debuffs, and stuns. Just got to the Wizened Hag. I no longer have that party :negative:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
New file, just blitzed through the starter dungeon, let's see who my first guys on the stagecoach are

welp

I made no money

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

If only treasure could staunch the flow of..... Otherworldly corruption...

Or whatever.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm on week 38 and I've yet to get another highwayman...

I think they're extinct on my shard.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Imagine a world where Hook and Slice aoe'd. I wish the BH hook moves were better. All Debuff/move skills need higher base chance or enemies need lower resistances.

The *only* decent, non class-specific trinket that improves Debuff chance is the amulet. That is including backer trinkets. :(

In other news, ng+ dark run is going well. Just reaching Champion and so far so good. I have two Deaths, but they are both from the very early game pre-guild unlock when you are running extremely iffy comps with no choice of load out, at level 0. The dark compounds these issues tremendously. Not much I could do other then starting over and that'd be lame.

My roster right now is...
6 Vestals (yawn)
4 Houndmasters
4 Man-at-Arms
4 Plague Doctors.
2 Hellions
2 Bounty Hunters
2 Crusaders
1 Highwayman
1 Occultist
1 Arbalest
1 Graverobber

The stage coach was super stingy with the Graverobbers. But it's probably okay. Them and the Hellions are both low HP and would probably suffer really hard in dark Champion dungeons. The overall HP pool of what I'm running tends to be high, since the enemies crit all day and never miss.

Still, it makes how I like to run Hounds a bit annoying. It's funny how Graverobbers are so good for stress relief, in between critting a ton and positioning other characters. I could trade in a MAA for another one.

I figure I'll be running...

DD1: VESTAL > HOUND > HIGHWAYMAN > MAA

DD2: PD > VESTAL > CRUSADER > MAA

DD3: PD > VESTAL > HOUND > HELLION

DD4: VESTAL > HOUND > CRUSADER > HELLION, possibly switching in a PD for the Hellion or Hound.

Maybe. It's mostly about squeezing in dot cures and stress relief, so you can recover maximally every time the game gives you an inch.

Highwayman is there because he will chump DD1, but is too squishy without high enough damage to consider more than one. I'm a bit nervous about even using him at all but I figure you don't get a better bodyguard then MAA+VESTAL+PD.

Occultist+Arbalest are there for boss slaying pretty much exclusively.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 24, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the bounty hunter's whole THING is that he sucks at splitting damage around

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I dunno then. Give it a 20% crit mod so you can gimmick heal stress. The extra time bleeding wouldnt even matter. Or some way to explode the bleed stack so it goes off all at once to feed into the bh's single target thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I fought the level 5 flesh. The hellion critted a heart for 55 damage three turns in a row. I think she had been saving up.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
If I lost a character in DD2 even before getting to a boss fight, should I just run so that at least someone survives?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
You lost a character in DD2 before getting to any of the boss fights? Yeah, that run's probably a writeoff.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

unless it was the jester, in which case, score!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I'm hitting my head against the wall with Veteran Bosses. I just got through Unstable Flesh on like the fourth or fifth time, and still lost my Occultist.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there a way to mitigate enemy crits? I feel like a lot of my champion runs get screwed because there are a chain of enemy crits that I can't outpace with healing.

Should I just scratch a run if a giant crits my 2 front liners?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you're not opposed to it, there's an option to make enemy crits not multiply damage

I got very lucky when I fought the level 5 cannon just now. There was a lot of bullshit on the way there so the hellion had over 70 stress, and they only critted the cannon once even though the arbalest had 39.5% chance to crit, but the lovely helper bandits didn't really crit at all either.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Higher light levels should at least reduce the bonus to enemy crits, thought it's not huge.

Other than that, you can also try accepting the mindest that HP has two levels. Some. And Death's Door. Though this is obviously not without it's risks.

Camping can heal a lot of HP, especially with the right skills, and even just eating food scales with MaxHP I think.

On the other hand, sometimes the RNG just hates you, and your brain isn't in the right state to fight it, so abandoning the mission is better.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

unless it was the jester, in which case, score!
Nah, Hellion. And now a Vestal gave up her life in the escape.

What a mess. At least I still have spares of both classes. Losing my only MAA would probably result in a rage uninstall.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Ephemeron posted:

Nah, Hellion. And now a Vestal gave up her life in the escape.

What a mess. At least I still have spares of both classes. Losing my only MAA would probably result in a rage uninstall.

That's brutal. What comp where you running? There are a few opportunities in DD2 to stall out and recover. Bringing a stress healer to all DD missions is critical.

It sounds like you had an MAA guarding with that torch, which is ideal.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I play DD pretty sporadically. There's an Android app that has a list of Curios and Bosses called Darkest Dungeon Wiki that's been pretty helpful.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sifo.darkestdungeon

Makaris
May 4, 2009
My NG+ dark run is going okay. However, at Week 72, I'm starting to get pressed for time. Still the only deaths are from the initial weeks before I had buildings unlocked and the only comps I'm allowed are whatever the stagecoach decides to give me.

I can beat the game now, but I wanted to clear all the champion bosses in the dark, too. 6 more to go. The Cove and Ruins are still easy enough, but Champion Weald and the Warrens in the dark is just a horror show.

To make sure I can at least still win, I am doing DD missions on the side and just cleared DD2 in the dark without issue. PD is the real star of the show, as they can just keep a Templar perma-stunned and the rest of the team just cleans up.

PD > Vestal > Crusader > MAA, with the Crusader torch-less... best DD2 team comp, perhaps? The front line is buff enough to eat Torments, and even if a Revelation squeaks through you can equip Holy Orders. It's noice.

Edit: I recommend people try the game out in the dark more often. It's a fun challenge that doesn't require modding, if you've already played through the normal content.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Light_Meter

Essentially, once the light is at zero you have to deal with:

Stress +40%
Monster ACC and DMG +12.5 / +25%
Heroes Surprised +40%
Monster Crit +5%

In exchange for the massive bonuses the enemies get above, you get:
Loot +75~95% chance
Player Crits +3%

Makaris fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 7, 2017

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm on week 25-ish of my own full darkness run, and once I figured out just what it was exactly the game wanted me to do, I started having a lot of success. I probably spent way too long farting around at Novice level, because I still have 3 more bosses to do, but I'm absolutely terrified of what the Veteran level will hold considering that the likelihood of running afoul of a Shambler jumps up drastically, not to mention the harder enemies that start appearing in Veteran level and above.

I've been doing a Let's Play outlining the experience so far, and I think it comes across pretty clearly that the early going was really ugly: https://youtu.be/-MOTGL8rVHg?list=PLhOAMjyyaAjaLfjk-HIsF9RNxjQUqPHTY

What was the turning point for me was filling out my trinket selection. Before getting some of the really good trinkets like Moon Rings, Junia's Head, Feather Crystals, Hell's Hairpins, the Houndmaster's +Scouting and +Trap Disarm trinket, etc., I felt like my character's were never really able to actually take advantage of the strengths their classes were supposed to enjoy. I will say that this experience has completely changed my view on the Plague Doctor. I thought she was really good, before, but at this point, I feel like she's borderline indespensible. Next to the Houndmaster, she's tied with the Occultist as my favorite class.

For anyone who has experience running NG+ in total darkness: what major adjustments have you had to make transitioning into Veteran and Champion dungeons?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I play DD pretty sporadically. There's an Android app that has a list of Curios and Bosses called Darkest Dungeon Wiki that's been pretty helpful.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sifo.darkestdungeon

There's also this as well: https://arnaud.rocks/darkest-companion/

Has a curio list and recommended provisions, but nothing about the bosses. Thanks for that, I'll probably end up getting that app too.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
+Stress items become an extreme liability, and +stress resist becomes nearly mandatory... With exception for Moon rings because they are just that good. Prioritize getting Dark Crowns. Stress healers have a place in every comp.

EDIT: in Champion the enemy AI starts to focus fire stress attacks. If you have, say, +20% stress with no stress resist to counter it, a cultist witch could hit you for ~50 stress on a crit. Don't let that happen.

+Scouting goes from being a pleasant bonus to being the absolute best way to vaccinate against your runs going to poo poo. Hound masters are the best at this, as well as being indispensable in general.

Shamblers showing up becomes very common (almost every run in Champion), so try to minimize back tracking to avoid fights spawning. Really you just have to think of then as a HP and stress tax you should be ready for.

On the flip side, being in the midst of a dark run puts you in a good position to kill Shamblers in apprentice dungeon. You WANT the Ancestors Map. It is worth that risk, as getting it early will be a massive benefit.

Try to avoid running too many Dodge-based classes. The +15 acc and higher damage enemies get means they will hit very consistently. The constant punishment and frequent crits will doom low HP heroes, without you being able to stop it.

Occultist is not recommend outside the Swine God/Prophet and in the Weald where the dmg Debuff will help out against the Giant.

Outside all that, just do your fights as you normally would, with an eye to exploit the absolute poo poo out of every round of recovery you can force out of the enemies. This easy in the Cove and somewhat easy in the Ruins, but the Warrens and Weald won't give you many opportunities so make the most if what you can.

Good enemies to look out for to recover from are Pelagic Guardians, Giant Enemy Crabs (if you have a PD), any skeletons but especially the club guys, any two weakened enemies when you have a Hellion with YAWP. Human gunners brought to close range. Others I can't think of right now.

No swine or fungal enemies are tankable except with stuns, as they both deal dots, high damage and high crits. Zombies at least have predictable attacks (only your front two), but swine and project damage anywhere so beware.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 7, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Makaris posted:

My NG+ dark run is going okay. However, at Week 72, I'm starting to get pressed for time. Still the only deaths are from the initial weeks before I had buildings unlocked and the only comps I'm allowed are whatever the stagecoach decides to give me.

I can beat the game now, but I wanted to clear all the champion bosses in the dark, too. 6 more to go. The Cove and Ruins are still easy enough, but Champion Weald and the Warrens in the dark is just a horror show.

To make sure I can at least still win, I am doing DD missions on the side and just cleared DD2 in the dark without issue. PD is the real star of the show, as they can just keep a Templar perma-stunned and the rest of the team just cleans up.

PD > Vestal > Crusader > MAA, with the Crusader torch-less... best DD2 team comp, perhaps? The front line is buff enough to eat Torments, and even if a Revelation squeaks through you can equip Holy Orders. It's noice.

Edit: I recommend people try the game out in the dark more often. It's a fun challenge that doesn't require modding, if you've already played through the normal content.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Light_Meter

Essentially, once the light is at zero you have to deal with:

Stress +40%
Monster ACC and DMG +12.5 / +25%
Heroes Surprised +40%
Monster Crit +5%

In exchange for the massive bonuses the enemies get above, you get:
Loot +75~95% chance
Player Crits +3%

holy hell, ng+ AND dark only runs? Jeezus, that's brutal.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I'm at the laundromat so forgive the constant posting. :(

I'm definitely going to be posting a thing on the Crusader next. My feelings have almost totally 180'd and I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. I still think they have a narrow role but they are have some unique stuff to bring to the table.

Edit: I still think the Leper is hot garbage. Which is sad because I want to like them so much. I'm thinking of running an Intimidation-focused comp where the Leper spams the Debuff so the enemy front line gets neutered and opens up opportunities to get several rounds of recovery each fight.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 7, 2017

Makaris
May 4, 2009
In the dark run, I just lost two dudes defending the hamlet against Vvulf. I made... several mistakes.

1) I forgot that this is the one special mission that actually requires (several!) shovels, and I embarked with none. And... 2) I brought a Crusader. :( He just couldn't consistently project damage onto Vvulf and ended up just being dead weight.

There is that one low-level big brigand guy who showed up near the end of the mission, and 40 rounds later I was able to make a full heal. Yuck.

I very nearly won anyway, Vvulf was down to 50ish HP, but in the end the crits got ahead of me and the BH couldn't be the solo damage dealer. I should have just brought a Houndmaster instead. Oh wells, both the MAA that died in the fight and the Crusader that fell in the retreat had already been to the DD, so they were no longer mission critical.

I think clearing all the bosses is going to be a wash. There are still 4 Champion bosses and 2 DD missions left, but only 11 weeks remaining and three of the dungeons aren't level 7 yet. Still, I learned a lot and next run will go much better.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

double nine posted:

holy hell, ng+ AND dark only runs? Jeezus, that's brutal.

I honestly feel dark runs are easier than light runs because of the massive injection of wealth turning on buildings faster. The downside is that sometimes the stagecoach gives you jesters and jesters are very sad about it being dark.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Anias posted:

I honestly feel dark runs are easier than light runs because of the massive injection of wealth turning on buildings faster. The downside is that sometimes the stagecoach gives you jesters and jesters are very sad about it being dark.

Well yeah the extra loot is nice, but it is by no means easier. Not even counting the crazy bonuses the monsters get, bring forced to itemize for stress means your missing out on other things you'd want.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Jesters are sad about pretty much everything. I have no idea how to use one effectively. What trinkets do you guys give them? Do you just bank on them getting one good hit with finale and then resign yourself to buffing or what?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Mzbundifund posted:

Jesters are sad about pretty much everything. I have no idea how to use one effectively. What trinkets do you guys give them? Do you just bank on them getting one good hit with finale and then resign yourself to buffing or what?

Jesters are actually really powerful, but you must embrace the fact that they exist solely to support your other characters.

Re trinkets, I always run the tambourine that provides -stress damage and +stress healing. I also usually take the Camouflage Cape (or w/e it's called) that provides +15 dodge.

A nice "hidden" bonus about the Jester is that they allow all your other characters to go nuts with high-level trinkets that cause ++stress dmg, like Dismas' Head or whatever. So if you have a Jester in your party, make sure your other chars are kitted out with fierce trinkets.

Take Finale, Dirk Stab, Battle Ballad and the stress heal. I guess you could make an argument that Harvest and the other bleed skill are worth it, but I prefer having both the combat buff and the stress heal on hand simultaneously.

Keep Jester in Pos 1 and then place the character you actually want in Pos 1 in second place. First move every turn, use Finale, ideally on a third rank stress dealer, and annihilate them. After that, you can buff or stress heal or sneak in occasional extra damage with Dirk Stab.

Jester shines with characters that can soak up damage, dish it out, and heal. One of my favorite Jester parties is:

Grave Robber / Vestal / Crusader / Jester

As soon as Jester uses Finale, this puts Crusader in 1 and Vestal in 2. This works best if you have the Vestal trinket that boosts her healing in pos 2 by 33% which makes the team heal decent.

Then you just shred enemies with the Grave Robber and attack, stun, debuff as needed with Vestal and Crusader.

Basically think of Jester as a way of allowing your 3 other characters to play risky and maximize their damage.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
http://steamcommunity.com/games/262060/announcements/detail/514936412775434339

Can't believe nobody mentioned the update.

Build #17314 - RADIANT UPDATE posted:

Overview:
This update was built around two major pillars:
Radiant Mode: Radiant Mode is a version of the game that is intended to take less time overall to complete than normal (“Darkest”) mode. The mode is still challenging--monsters have the same stats and nothing about permadeath has changed. But some gameplay rules have been flexed or altered in ways that reduce some of the more time consuming mid and late game elements.
Improvements and Additions (to all modes): we’ve reviewed tons of feedback over the last few months and have added a bunch new features, content, revisions, and fixes.
We will be monitoring how the rollout of Radiant goes, and you can expect some more tweaks here and there as we see how the patch settles.

To access the beta, open up the BETAs tab on the Darkest Dungeon Properties menu on STEAM. Select the drop down box and choose "coming_in_hot." As always we encourage you to backup your saves when participating in the BETA!

Thanks to your support, as we move forward toward the launch of our first major expansion, The Crimson Court, we’ll continue to update and improve the core game. Currently, we’re looking at a balance pass on trinkets and hero skills, so you can expect some changes in those areas in the coming weeks. As always, we appreciate your feedback, suggestions, and enthusiasm!

-The Darkest Dungeon Team

RADIANT MODE:
Never Again changed: heroes are now allowed to return to the Darkest Dungeon. However, they will undergo significant stress upon doing so, and are more likely to become afflicted instead of virtuous when in the Darkest Dungeon.
More Power Leveling flexibility: Heroes of up to Level 4 may enter Novice dungeons. Any hero may enter a Veteran or Champion dungeon.
Stage Coach can now be upgraded to allow the appearance of new recruits starting at up to Level 4. Increased chance of upgraded recruits appearing.
Reduced cost of Upgraded Recruits upgrades.
Accelerated hero XP progression
Hero upgrade and treatment cost scaling by level reduced
Random Hunger Checks do not occur in Radiant Mode
Food Provision cost increased and stack sized decreased to compensate
Returned provisions now give slightly more money back
Tweaks to Stagecoach:
Added another upgrade tier to Experienced Recruits (Lvl 4 Characters will now appear)
Changed Experienced Recruit requirements. (Lvl 1 now only requires Lvl 1 Blacksmith and Guild)
New Stage Coach population option to use a Deck based system. (This can be used on all modes). New Stagecoach generation method that gives a more even long-term distribution and also favors healers more, since they are the backbone of most parties. This can be toggled off in the Options menu if you wish to still ride the bittersweet wave of total RNG.
Higher Light conditions confer slightly more to party DEF bonuses.
Accelerated Region Progression
Town Events trigger more frequently to compensate for shorter playtime

STYGIAN MODE:
Renamed NG+ to Stygian
Stygian can now be selected when starting a new campaign, instead of requiring completion of Darkest mode first.
More stress, higher darkness penalties, more light loss per step, higher trap diff, enemy HP bump from 15% (prev) to 20%, slightly higher monster crits...overall slightly more deadly[/b]
Time limit reduced to 86 weeks and hero death limit dropped to 12
You can now continue playing after the time limit on your Stygian mode game after successfully completing the game

ALL MODES:
Added 4 new monsters (Bone Bearer, Hateful Virago, Swine Skiver, and Squiffy Ghast) that appear in Champion level Dungeons - BLAME DANA
Caw! Caw! Added New Trinket Recovery Quest
When a party wipe occurs, trinkets are no longer lost! There is a way to recover them. Exactly what that way is, we leave for you to discover...
Trinkets are no longer recoverable from fallen characters after retreating.
Two new Town Events
Fix for users reporting increased cpu usage
ECONOMY Adjustments to Radiant and Darkest modes:
Economy was too gold starved across the board, including mid and late game.
Slightly reduced cost of Hero Treatment.
Reduced hero weapon and armour upgrade costs.
Reduced cost of upgrading hero skills final two levels
Increased gold drops and gold stacking from 1,500 to 1,750
(ALL MODES) Rebalanced gem drops and changed gem values. Net result is much higher values of gems dropping as difficulty of missions progress.
Gems now all stack to 5 instead of 4
Adjusted Antiquarian values to be in line with Economy changes to ensure she's still profitable.
Tavern and Abbey complete side-effects rebalance and some new side effects added. Goal is to make neither Tavern or Abbey preferable over another, and also add more interest.
Fixed Provision Discount Town Event description so all languages should show up correctly.
Quests that will trigger a Town Event: links are now clearly shown
The Cove Gather mission now triggers “Lost and Found” Town Event instead of “Supply Run” Town Event upon successful completion.
Hold SHIFT when purchasing Provisions to purchase a full stack.
Adjustments to chances of getting quirks at quest end. Slightly increased chances in both cases for interest.
New quirk: “skilled gambler”. Bad Gambler and Skilled Gambler functionality improved.
Stagecoach Upgraded Recruits: adjusted number of pos and neg quirks they start with to ensure they are still valuable. Reduced cost of the Upgraded Recruits upgrades.
Secret Rooms are no longer guaranteed in every dungeon.
Quest Trinket rewards: better logic for supplying trinket rewards in cases where the designated trinkets aren’t available.
Heirloom Chest now more profitable after using key
Added new treasure: "Jute Tapestry" (functions as a very rare gem worth 5,000 gold)
Added “Party” selection type to camp skills to help make the skills more clear.
Tweaked Roster sort so that Characters in Party are arranged in their party formation.
Added Skill Equip warning when trying to embark without all skills equipped
Added Food Embark warning when trying to embark without much food
Skills will now auto-equip when purchased and have room. (This will be most noticed with purchasing your 4th camping skill.)
After several angry phone calls from Vvulf, he is now properly tagged as a boss.
(Radiant and Darkest modes) Vvulf quest and Vvulf himself not quite as tough, and also won’t appear before week 40 minimum.
Tweaked Trinket Embark Warning to be % based. You are now warned on L3 and L5 dungeons when you have less than half equipped.
Adjusted cooldowns on town events up a bit, to reduce repetition
DARKEST and STYGIAN modes: Final battle tuned up some to give a bit more challenge. May require more.
Adjusted Nomad Wagon stock rarity (Rare trinkets are now more rare)
Added Town Event Description in the reward section for related Quests.
Fix for handling multiple monitors
Added 4k window resolutions to options.
Added Subtitle Location Option: Top or Bottom
Added border FX for Ancestral Trinkets and Boss Trophies
Added FX to Dungeon Region experience bars on increase
Added in new art for all missing Curio states. WELCOME ABOARD, TRUDI!
Added Date/Time to save slots
Added more save slots
Various UI tweaks
Exposed significantly more settings for future modding.
...and more!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

minya posted:

Jesters are actually really powerful, but you must embrace the fact that they exist solely to support your other characters.

Re trinkets, I always run the tambourine that provides -stress damage and +stress healing. I also usually take the Camouflage Cape (or w/e it's called) that provides +15 dodge.

A nice "hidden" bonus about the Jester is that they allow all your other characters to go nuts with high-level trinkets that cause ++stress dmg, like Dismas' Head or whatever. So if you have a Jester in your party, make sure your other chars are kitted out with fierce trinkets.

Take Finale, Dirk Stab, Battle Ballad and the stress heal. I guess you could make an argument that Harvest and the other bleed skill are worth it, but I prefer having both the combat buff and the stress heal on hand simultaneously.

Keep Jester in Pos 1 and then place the character you actually want in Pos 1 in second place. First move every turn, use Finale, ideally on a third rank stress dealer, and annihilate them. After that, you can buff or stress heal or sneak in occasional extra damage with Dirk Stab.

Jester shines with characters that can soak up damage, dish it out, and heal. One of my favorite Jester parties is:

As soon as Jester uses Finale, this puts Crusader in 1 and Vestal in 2. This works best if you have the Vestal trinket that boosts her healing in pos 2 by 33% which makes the team heal decent.

Then you just shred enemies with the Grave Robber and attack, stun, debuff as needed with Vestal and Crusader.

Basically think of Jester as a way of allowing your 3 other characters to play risky and maximize their damage.

This is a great idea. I'm going to give it a try tonight.

I'm still at the stage where I'm building up cash, but I think I'm going too slowly. I've had some unlucky streaks where in the beginning of a medium run, a couple crits and a bleed have off'd a party member and forced me to abort.

I'm still trying to build cash so I haven't really invested into any of my guys' weapons/armor, nor have I upgraded their abilities. I'm trying to get to 90k before going that route (at 60k now). I need to stop pussyfooting around.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Man Radiant Mode sounds like exactly what I needed to get back into this.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
There is very little reason to save cash. The opportunity cost is too high.

Just fully gear up / train the specific party you plan to embark with, and spend any extra on the sanitarium / trinkets / stress healing if needed.

Going in with a weaker crew means failed missions and wasted supplies, which will end up costing more then just going in with maximally strong party.

You shouldn't really be feeling pinched for cash until the final tier of gear. 4000 each for the final weapon / armor van be rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

minya posted:

i respect your right to an opinion

also,

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Squiffy Ghast

lol