Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Also fun fact mcmagic was 100% certain Kalitas would see no play in Modern Jund; Reid Duke had the highest placing Jund deck in the tournament with 2 maindeck Kalitas.

mcmagic posted:

I'm 100% sure that you're wrong about Jund (and 95% sure you're wrong about Grixis since that deck doesn't have access to Huntmaster but it does have Pia and Kerrin and Olivia Voldaren which both are much better than this card) Comparing this card to Huntmaster is a joke. Huntmaster comes down on a empty board and just wins the game and is awesome vs Burn. this guy comes down, dies to path and you lose.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

lsv to commentate the finals, nice

e:dammit, w/ Buehler and w/o Duke

I really want to know what wotc skeletons randy knows that lets him blackmail them into keeping his gelatinous rear end in the coverage booth

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Also fun fact mcmagic was 100% certain Kalitas would see no play in Modern Jund; Reid Duke had the highest placing Jund deck in the tournament with 2 maindeck Kalitas.

I like how cuntmaster is awesome against burn but a 3/4 lifelinker that gets bigger isn't, and how he's good on an empty board but again a creature that doesn't die to bolt and swings life totals like crazy while turning all your removal into free creatures isnt.

Like, playing again kalitas in limited its always either have the removal immediately or lose the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sigma-X posted:

I like how cuntmaster is awesome against burn but a 3/4 lifelinker that gets bigger isn't, and how he's good on an empty board but again a creature that doesn't die to bolt and swings life totals like crazy while turning all your removal into free creatures isnt.

intentional?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

lsv commentating the finals, after Floch gets 2 Cavern of Souls with Oblivion Sower: "The creature types he should name are Eldrazi and Ape"

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I can't tell if it's more fun watching these Eldrazi decks because they're awesome, or watching these Eldrazi decks wreck face just to hear the reactions from commentary.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lets Pickle posted:

lsv commentating the finals, after Floch gets 2 Cavern of Souls with Oblivion Sower: "The creature types he should name are Eldrazi and Ape"

Floch in fact named Ape and Eldrazi

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
LSV seems to have taken his loss pretty well judging by the puns he's making in the finals commentary.

Also advising that the optimal play for the mirror where there's no counterspells is to name Ape with Cavern of Souls so you can cast Simian Spirit Guide.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

noncolorless creature cards in this top 8:
Master of Etherium
Vault Skirge
Simian Spirit Guide

Even better? First modern PT ever that Lightning Bolt or 'Goyf weren't in the top 8.

Angry Grimace posted:

Mcmagic does going 8-2 in the modern portion of the PT count? I think Mr. Jund playing 2 of in the main sort of means I'm probably correct. Also worth noting the 7-3 list also had 1 Kalitas main. The two lists that placed 6-X or lower did not run Kalitas.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 7, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Entropic posted:

LSV seems to have taken his loss pretty well judging by the puns he's making in the finals commentary.

Also advising that the optimal play for the mirror where there's no counterspells is to name Ape with Cavern of Souls so you can cast Simian Spirit Guide.

The UR list does run sideboard Stubborn Denials, though they're probably not against a deck made of creatures and lands.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
haha, Wastes is the second-most played basic in the top 8

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
At least it'll be over before The Super Bowlthe big game starts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I still don't think it's good enough for that slot but Reid Duke is obviously a much better player than I am. I assume any game he won because of Kalitas, he would've also won with Huntmaster. I'd like to see his article on how it was for him.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'll admit it then, since mcmagic refuses to: I was wrong about Kalitas in Modern, cool.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I still don't think it's good enough for that slot but Reid Duke is obviously a much better player than I am. I assume any game he won because of Kalitas, he would've also won with Huntmaster.

At least you're gracious when you're wrong.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

PT The Hell that is Zendikar

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

According to LSV dismembering a big eldrazi after it enters the battelefield acts to cancel Mimic's trigger (as in it stays a 2/1, because it'd become a 0/0 otherwise). But, Mimic says base power and tougness?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I sure am glad I bought a bunch of these "garbage" Eldrazi back the battl came out trying to fit them into standard brews. I wonder when I should trade my 13 endless ones.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Rinkles posted:

According to LSV dismembering a big eldrazi after it enters the battelefield acts to cancel Mimic's trigger (as in it stays a 2/1, because it'd become a 0/0 otherwise). But, Mimic says base power and tougness?

It says may so you don't have to go through with it

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Rinkles posted:

It's the mimic's base p/t that gets swapped to the targets current p/t.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

It changes Mimic's base power and toughness to the creatures P/T whatever it happens to be. If it didn't, Endless One with Mimic would kill the Mimic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

The Mimic's base p/t, but it uses the other creature's current p/t.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks yeah, missed that it only says base once.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

"attack for 10 on turn two"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JC is probably nutting right now with Floch mulling to 5 and him having a god hand

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Deja vu to semis game 5.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Grats to Eldrazi Skyspawner, Vile Aggregate, Ruination Guide, and Drowner of Hope for winning the Modern PT.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 7, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

haha that's awesome

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Official title of CFB slayer to be bestwoed.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elyv posted:

Grats to Eldrazi Skyspawner, Vile Aggregate, Ruination Guide, and Downer of Hope for winning the Modern PT.

Dr Owner M.D.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

drat JC Tao was on the next level, UR Eldrazi beats the hell out of colorless Eldrazi.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
What a boring pro tour

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What a boring pro tour

By format numbers maybe, but there was actually a bunch of great games and matches this weekend.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeap, this was the only Modern event in the last two years I've enjoyed enough to bother watching actively rather than put one or two games on in the background while I play something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What a boring pro tour

This was so, so much better than last year's it's not even funny.

What actually is funny though is that Twin probably could've stopped this if it were unbanned.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Eye of Ugin just broke $50 mid. Eldrazi Mimic is now $8.50 mid. And Reality Smasher is $7 mid. Guarantee they're going to keep going up until they at least match Thought-Knot Seer.

My box just went from being mediocre to plusing. Thanks, PT players! :thumbsup:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

This was so, so much better than last year's it's not even funny.

What actually is funny though is that Twin probably could've stopped this if it were unbanned.

https://np.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/44knoq/modern_ur_eldrazi_vs_twin/

Annecdotal, but someone tested about 40-60 matches of URdrazi vs. twin and it was almost always in Eldrazi's favor or 50/50.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love that the modern pro tour finals looked like a goddamn sealed match apart from the lands.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

wizards, you know what you have to do. Make Propaganda modern legal and then it will really be UW Prison's time to shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

wizards, you know what you have to do. Make Propaganda modern legal and then it will really be U Tron's time to shine

FTFY and agreed.

• Locked thread