Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It was an Atlas definitely, it might've been an LBX 5 or something then, I remember because I saw him shooting at long range with shotguns and got angry at videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

nah he's saying the Atlas can't fit 4 LBX-10

Mauler maybe?

Or maybe the Kodiak.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Buschmaki posted:

It was an Atlas definitely, it might've been an LBX 5 or something then, I remember because I saw him shooting at long range with shotguns and got angry at videogames.

atlas gets like two ballistic slots max

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zyphoid posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the viper coming in a few days? The it will be one of the only clan mechs I can think of that will do 139kph. Pretty good mix of missiles and energy on the mech. 6 energy 2 missiles could be a lot of fun shooting butts in a light pack. Size could hurt or help it. If it's nova-ish I can see having a lot of fun. If it's pheonix hawk sized it could be another medium that blows goats.

It has something like 8T total of podspace so it's going to be an oversized arctic cheetah when it comes to firepower.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zyphoid posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the viper coming in a few days? The it will be one of the only clan mechs I can think of that will do 139kph. Pretty good mix of missiles and energy on the mech. 6 energy 2 missiles could be a lot of fun shooting butts in a light pack. Size could hurt or help it. If it's nova-ish I can see having a lot of fun. If it's pheonix hawk sized it could be another medium that blows goats.

As others have said, it's got a ton of jumpjets and not a lot of room for weapons. It's size and hitboxes are going to be it's biggest do-or-die thing.

As it is, the viper is pretty much an upscaled light with all of that upscaling being devoted to jumpjets.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Buschmaki posted:

It was a Kodiak3. They look just like an atlas from a distance and lbx40 is hilarious.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

veedubfreak posted:

It was a Kodiak3. They look just like an atlas from a distance and lbx40 is hilarious.

I had a lot of fun running 4 lb10x until I realized just how much pain 4 uac10 puts out.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

I had a lot of fun running 4 lb10x until I realized just how much pain 4 uac10 puts out.

We were just talking about this in mumble. My problem with quad uac10 is fire control. I spend half my time overheated. Since I mostly play in brawly goon groups I would overheat on the push and be useless at best or obstacle at worse. The shotgun never overheats and the BANG BANG BANG absolutely breaks lines. I love a dual uac10 on the EBJ because I don't overheat when I go to "KILLEMALLBERZERKERMODE".

Quad uac10 probably better overall. But my lack of fire control and brawl preference just makes it not as good for me.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zyphoid posted:

We were just talking about this in mumble. My problem with quad uac10 is fire control. I spend half my time overheated. Since I mostly play in brawly goon groups I would overheat on the push and be useless at best or obstacle at worse. The shotgun never overheats and the BANG BANG BANG absolutely breaks lines. I love a dual uac10 on the EBJ because I don't overheat when I go to "KILLEMALLBERZERKERMODE".

Quad uac10 probably better overall. But my lack of fire control and brawl preference just makes it not as good for me.

Youre the perfect candidate to try the experimental 2xuac10+2xlbx10 build then.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

Ah makes sense. Thanks.

You run BAP on nearly everything?

It works out well due to the robots/hardpoints I play. On mediums, for example, the difference between an xl 280 an a xl 300 is 1.5 tons. So if i feel I don't want the extra speed or heatsinks I bap it up.

Any mech with an AC-20 tends to get one to make sure the gun stays shooting, too. For the IS at least, 10 crits means no xl, and only 2 spaces left so a bap is one of the only things that fits next to it. and you don't want to keep ammo next to it, so....

But yeah, that situational awareness with the sensor range mod is fairly fantastic. Its pretty much the cornerstone of the Amazing Spider Man.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Youre the perfect candidate to try the experimental 2xuac10+2xlbx10 build then.

I have tried the dual gauss + dual uac 10. I cannot recommend, but maybe someone else can make it work. (lbx10 does not fit due to crit space)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
if you're gonna do that you might as well go quad gauss

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zyphoid posted:

Have you dropped your engine size at all? I forget what I'm running right now, something like a xl380 or 385, but you drop something like 4kph and get enough weight for 4 or 5 extra DHS.

Also there is no reason to have arm armor if you haven't already stripped that away.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Left click = 2x UAC10
Right click = 2x UAC10
Double tap at a distance, alternate between mouse buttons in brawling distance.

It's not too hard to manage it. Just have to be mindful of the heat.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Buschmaki posted:

Why does someone put a bunch of lrm launchers on an assault mech? How is it any fun to sit staring at a wall shooting missiles you can't aim at something you can't see for 10 minutes at a time?

I have a STK-3H with 50 LRM. I originally bought it only to elite the chassis, but it's actually one of my favourite mechs to play. Here's the pro tip to get both fun and performance out of LRM heavies and assaults:

LRMs are a medium range weapon

LRMs are a medium range weapon

LRMs are a motherfuckin' medium range weapon

Hovering near the 1200m or whatever max range is useless. Almost the only reason to do it is if someone is spotting a light mech, or it's the endgame and you have ammo to waste. You want to put the hurt on someone, you get under 400m of them, always keep direct line of sight, and stack TAG + ARTEMIS bonuses to concentrate damage and make their torso light up like a magnesium strip.

You are, in particular, the hunter of other assaults. Something that happens in nearly every match with my 3H: an Atlas or Direwolf pops a corner all gung-ho, I TAG him and slam 50 points of instant damage square in his fat CT, he immediately freaks out as his cockpit rings like a bell and tries to backpedal at a blazing 25kph. Then I slam him again and whoops look his CT is already open, oh boy how did that happen,

Also, there is another equally important reason to fight in medium range, which is to perform the other task of your weight class, which is to soak up damage away from your softer teammates. But unlike brawler assaults, if your armor gets worn thin you can pull back to the second line and still be nearly as dangerous as you were in the front. (Of course, there's also a selfish reason not to hide in the rear: sticking with the pack is the best way to prevent lights and mediums from trying to solo you.)

TL;DR: don't be a pussy with LRMs and they will greatly reward you.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

I have tried the dual gauss + dual uac 10. I cannot recommend, but maybe someone else can make it work. (lbx10 does not fit due to crit space)

If you go dual gauss, complement with 2 PPCs.
please dont forget to stuff 2 machineguns in the torso mounts first, so the gauss cannons get the upper slots.
both ppcs on the same arm, targetting computer 6.
corner/hill peek.
also, get an xl375.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

NihilCredo posted:

Hovering near the 1200m or whatever max range is useless. Almost the only reason to do it is if someone is spotting a light mech, or it's the endgame and you have ammo to waste. You want to put the hurt on someone, you get under 400m of them, always keep direct line of sight, and stack TAG + ARTEMIS bonuses to concentrate damage and make their torso light up like a magnesium strip.

You are, in particular, the hunter of other assaults. Something that happens in nearly every match with my 3H: an Atlas or Direwolf pops a corner all gung-ho, I TAG him and slam 50 points of instant damage square in his fat CT, he immediately freaks out as his cockpit rings like a bell and tries to backpedal at a blazing 25kph. Then I slam him again and whoops look his CT is already open, oh boy how did that happen,

Touhou final bossing someone sounds rad, yes...

Sounds like having a teammate with BAP or carrying your own would be good, yes? :v:

TheParadigm posted:

It works out well due to the robots/hardpoints I play. On mediums, for example, the difference between an xl 280 an a xl 300 is 1.5 tons. So if i feel I don't want the extra speed or heatsinks I bap it up.

But yeah, that situational awareness with the sensor range mod is fairly fantastic. Its pretty much the cornerstone of the Amazing Spider Man.

What do you consider when deciding if you want to toss a sink? Obviously that is what I am looking at now. Is the Amazing Spider Man a Spider build? What is it?

Edit: ah gently caress I will give it a go. Pauses to aiming in brawls means that I will have time to cool down and 1 more DHS on top of the 7 additional DHS I added on top of the heatsinks the Nova comes with and in its engine won't help too much. Plus I have a good medium range punch and it would be good to know where to aim it.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 14, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

Sounds like having a teammate with BAP or carrying your own would be good, yes? :v:

Not in the slightest, actually. The most important benefit, ECM countering, is already provided much better by TAG. The sensor range boost is mostly way beyond the range I like to shoot at, I don't particularly care about shaving a second or so off of info acquisition time, and targeting shutdown mechs under the IS LRM's minimum range is literally worthless.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
just remember that LRMs mostly stop being super useful as players start getting better. How you use them is important, but what's more important is how the enemy player reacts to them. Bad players constantly get lurmed to death, good players just break the lock or step behind cover

like I'm just OK and I haven't been actually killed by lurms in months, and when I have I would have gone down earlier had the lurmboat been packing other weapons

I'm not saying don't play them, just be aware is all

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

just remember that LRMs mostly stop being super useful as players start getting better. How you use them is important, but what's more important is how the enemy player reacts to them. Bad players constantly get lurmed to death, good players just break the lock or step behind cover

like I'm just OK and I haven't been actually killed by lurms in months, and when I have I would have gone down earlier had the lurmboat been packing other weapons

I'm not saying don't play them, just be aware is all

Breaking locks or getting into cover generally doesn't work well in a brawl situation right? But having to maintain the lock does suck since you cannot shield.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Quick question, is there a consensus best choice between SRM6s and SRM4+Artemis for the Splatcat? I remember it used to run the former, but I'm seeing the latter recommended now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Generally, if I don't have the tonnage for SRM6+a, then I use SRM4+A.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tonnage is the main difference. You can fit some more stuff in with SRM4A's than with 6's.

Buschmaki posted:

Why does someone put a bunch of lrm launchers on an assault mech? How is it any fun to sit staring at a wall shooting missiles you can't aim at something you can't see for 10 minutes at a time?

LRM's also print money, or so I've been told. You really have to get good with them in order to do so on an assault. (Mainly fighting the urge to sit behind cover and spam them.)

Artificer posted:

BAPs are in a weird place. They benefit your team more than they do you, and the thing they're most valuable for (anti ECM) can be done better by two better modules: ECM (since you can switch between cloaking and disrupting) and Tag.

They're generally better than Narcs at least but you won't find crazy gimmick builds that can be insanely effective (Narcs + 2-3 LRM boats = Deadly Narcs) built around them.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
I have been trying to get back into this, but I have run into a problem.

I have 60 days premium I never used from release, but I have no more mech bays, nor left over MC.

What is the best thing to do to overcome my troubles?

* I would feel better about giving them actual money again if they had any plans for A. More destructible terrain B. Destroyable AI ground vehicles/poo poo, alla older mechwarrior.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Artificer posted:

Breaking locks or getting into cover generally doesn't work well in a brawl situation right? But having to maintain the lock does suck since you cannot shield.

So this is true but broadly in a brawl situation you want all of your robots either a) sharing armor or b)focusing down specific components quickly or c) both. LRM boats cannot do this because they can't control where their lurms hit. You can (and should!) have a longer range robot sitting out of the fight a bit on overwatch, picking off specific components, but only with direct fire. Not having extra armor or pinpoint in a brawl has a multiplicative effect in how that braw turns out. So you take three or four more seconds to bring an enemy mech down, which means the other team gets one or two extra alphas on you, etc.

Usually what happens is that a fresh LRM boat gets set upon by three or four badly wounded robots and quickly wrecked.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
So the Viper quirks are out.

Those agility quirks.....oh my. AND laser quirks on omnis that we can move around. Yeah this is going to be a pretty decent mech. I haven't seen a +50% or +60% for a looong time. Gawd drat.

Zyphoid fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 15, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's just an ERPPC velocity quirk. Those quirks are actually quite mediocre.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Plus it's got a nose like Barbara Streisand. Even with otherwise OK hitboxes that will suck.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

A.o.D. posted:

It has a 60% accel and decel quirk. That's insanity wolf levels of crazy movement!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's really not that huge. There are about 20 IS mechs that have the same levels of accel/decel quirk, and they're all bad except the Locust. Hell, the Vindicator has 90-loving-percent accel/decel, but it's still garbage.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Viper gets a whole eight tons for weapons and ammo, so they'll be hitting about as hard as an Arctic Cheetah, but a lot bigger and without ECM.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah, it's pretty much the Clan Locust.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Couldnt you emulate the Nova with it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

Quick question, is there a consensus best choice between SRM6s and SRM4+Artemis for the Splatcat? I remember it used to run the former, but I'm seeing the latter recommended now.

I think the a4s are lighter, cooler and similarly deadly because of the spread pattern.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Artificer posted:

Couldnt you emulate the Nova with it?

Looks like it. 6 ersl and 2x srm4A look to be possible running at 139kph. With massive agility and like......6 JJ? May not have counted those JJs right.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zyphoid posted:

Looks like it. 6 ersl and 2x srm4A look to be possible running at 139kph. With massive agility and like......6 JJ? May not have counted those JJs right.

The Viper has 8 jump jets.

In TT, that's actually kind of sweet, and the viper is a strictly better mech than the Ice Ferret.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is that 5 medium lasers on a mech with no heatsinks beyond the original engine sinks?

Isn't that a little hot?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

What do you consider when deciding if you want to toss a sink? Obviously that is what I am looking at now. Is the Amazing Spider Man a Spider build? What is it?

Mostly how the mech handles. Sometimes different mechs in a series have differing mobility quirks, and sometimes eliting out a mech is a factor. If its already a fairly lower engine cap mech, then sometimes getting speedtweak means I just save tons to go roughly the same speed.

The spider is the 12 jumpjet one. Its sole, stupid gimmick is 'Hi, I'm a UAV on demand'. Playing it on river city is good times.

Derakarsis posted:

I have 60 days premium I never used from release, but I have no more mech bays, nor left over MC.

Put in customer service tickets to refund mechs you don't like or want, say they're not fun and be polite about it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Add the Grand Titan, there aren't really many "iconic" FWL mechs in the game. I mean I guess the Orion is, but its trash in this game or at least used to be.

I would also be happy if we got some more light mechs to pilot its been awhile since one got released, but I guess not too many people actually primary lights.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

sebmojo posted:

I think the a4s are lighter, cooler and similarly deadly because of the spread pattern.

ASRM4 > SRM6 always, there should be a spread graphic in the OP. Beyond better spread you have better rate of fire and better heat.

ASRM6 is great though on a pure splatboat if you can do it, but in a few cross-boat chassis it makes sense to step them down to ASRM4 for synergy with laser cycling. (There are also the gently caress YOU MISSILE builds like the Atlas where you stack all ASRM6s and your AC20 because gently caress it your missiles are really doing the work.)

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 15, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

4s are also faster on their 3 second cooldown, while 6s are on a 4s timer.
While theyre cooler, you shoot them more often, resulting in roughly the same problems with heat management. Mechlab will show heat efficiency as basically ignorable, but soon that bar will threaten to hit the top. Especially in brawls.

Means in 12 seconds you shoot your 4s 3 times and your 6s 2 times.
If we do some math-wank, lets assume you fit 4 launchers, thats 4x4x2x3= 96 damage from the srm4s vs. 6x4x2x2 = 96 from the srm6s.
Means after the 12 second mark of launching with no downtimes, the 4s pick up the lead in dealing sustained damage.
On top of that you can probably fit a 5th srm4 for the weight you saved by not taking 6s provided you have the ports and slots to do so.

If you expect to not fire as soon as they come off cooldown, 6s will deal more damage. If you can spam them to no end, srms will be superior after a short time.

Rule of thumb is
srm6 = higher alpha
srm4 = higher dps

Another point worth considering, srm4 doesnt spread as much as 6s, so less of your damage is "wasted" on locations you didnt actually want to shoot.
If youre going for CT, everything that lands on ST is just excess heat generation. Ive quite come to love the srm 4s while doing the scouting event in the Griffins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I feel one advantage I personally noticed when I ran 4x ASRM6's on my Griffin vs the 4ASRM4's is the OH gently caress FACTOR. People tend to freak out if in one shot you're doing nearly 48 damage in one blast even if it spreads a bit more compared to 32 damage in a little more concentrated blast. Even decent pilots probably think of noping out instead of firing back on your pretty fragile mech, if I run into splat boats I won't deal with them because even if I win I will be badly mauled and I think alot of people feel that way. However most splat boaters are idiots who don't know when to flank and push and if your team refuses to close your wasted tonnage.

The tighter spread on the 4's made dealing with light mechs less of a pain because even the reduced alpha its still enough for a hit to cripple a a section.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 15, 2016

• Locked thread