Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Musk is just all about appeal to novelty. Real solutions are expensive, boring and require rich people to be slightly less rich, fancy toys with silly names let them pretend they're contributing to society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Well according to the Horseshoe theory metric of (potentially) successful companies, Amazon has had many quarters where it was not profitable, therefore it had no hopes of ever becoming a successful company. To be the next Amazon is actually, contrary to common belief outside of this thread, to be the next major failed company.

Nah - Amazon invested money into their business which created GAAP losses but was actually growing their market share whereas Tesla blows money on crazy poo poo because Elon Musk is a poor man's Hank Scorpio.

My favorite company that showed GAAP and taxable income for years but still went bust was Steve and Barrys, which was only profitable because of anchor fee income that they reported as ordinary business income (that stopped during the GFC and they promptly went out of business).

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
There's a lot of Hank Scorpios in the top bits of business, it's based upon the Simpsons writers (who were like 90% Harvard grads) recollections of the kids who wanted to go into business from their school

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

curufinor posted:

There's a lot of Hank Scorpios in the top bits of business, it's based upon the Simpsons writers (who were like 90% Harvard grads) recollections of the kids who wanted to go into business from their school

Simpsons writing is more elitest than nearly any other domain of human endeavor

You can look at the quality of Simpsons writing and think about the concomitant quality of our drat elites nowadays

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

curufinor posted:

Except that Scorpio at least made money through his super villain business (i.e, extortion) whereas Musk has yet to even do that.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Horseshoe theory posted:

Except that Scorpio at least made money through his super villain business (i.e, extortion) whereas Musk has yet to even do that.

Man exited successfully from PayPal, which is also an extortion business

Don't see any differences

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

curufinor posted:

Man exited successfully from PayPal, which is also an extortion business

Don't see any differences

Nah, that was Thiel's handiwork.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Horseshoe theory posted:

Nah, that was Thiel's handiwork.

Guy owned more than the vampire tho

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

curufinor posted:

You can look at the quality of Simpsons writing and think about the concomitant quality of our drat elites nowadays

cromulent?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Have you loving watched the Simpsons lately

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Scorpio was an incredible boss. Well, his entire gimmick was that he's a Bond villain whose personal quirk happens to be treating his employees well.

For that matter, Homer is shockingly effective middle management, if only because he doesn't try to mess with people who seem to know what they're doing, and focuses on keeping them happy.

They did have briefly recurring Artie Ziff representing the last tech bubble and the kind of people that make money off of them.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

curufinor posted:

This is actually true.

https://twitter.com/solmaquina/status/878252029960966146

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

curufinor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlRV6yxZUSQ

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Klyith posted:

That's their stated intention, they're just doing it in a very dumb way.

Amazon was making losses every year for their first 5 years or whatever. It wasn't because they were buying a book for $10 and selling it for $5. They were buying a book for $10, selling it for $15, and spending $2 on capital investments like warehouses, distribution networks, and a super-reliable website. Eventually those investments are finished and start paying back, and you have a big company that makes billions of dollars. They could have sold the books for $17 and been profitable all along, but that would have gotten them nowhere because everyone else was already selling books for $17.

Uber, on the other hand, is buying a book for $10, selling it for $5, and hoping that all the other booksellers go out of business or something.

Uber is basically Groupon, they have a simple legit business model that's absurdly overhyped and mismanaged but could (and probably will) survive after a crashing back down to earth because, again, summoning cars with an app is a legit if not world changing business model.

Tesla is a legit accomplishment and downplaying a car startup (incredibly hard) that created the first good electric car that the mainstream talks about is dumb and only done by people who don't have a coherent understanding of what innovation is.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

Uber is basically Groupon, they have a simple legit business model that's absurdly overhyped and mismanaged but could (and probably will) survive after a crashing back down to earth because, again, summoning cars with an app is a legit if not world changing business model.

Ride hailing capability is commodity software at this point.

quote:

Tesla is a legit accomplishment and downplaying a car startup (incredibly hard) that created the first good electric car that the mainstream talks about is dumb and only done by people who don't have a coherent understanding of what innovation is.

What exactly was innovative about Tesla at the start, aside for capitalizing on personal brand making?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

archangelwar posted:

What exactly was innovative about Tesla at the start, aside for capitalizing on personal brand making?

I can't think of another luxury electric vehicle that existed at the time. Whether you think that's innovative or not is up to you, but it was an untapped market to make electric vehicles cool.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

silence_kit posted:

Well according to the Horseshoe theory metric of (potentially) successful companies, Amazon has had many quarters where it was not profitable, therefore it had no hopes of ever becoming a successful company. To be the next Amazon is actually, contrary to common belief outside of this thread, to be the next major failed company.

Amazon was the first company to ever truly prove that online retailing as a business model had the potential we today know it has. They changed the face of retailing and later did the same in cloud computing. Meanwhile, Tesla is an unprofitable luxury car manufacturer in a sea of car manufacturing competition with nothing innovative to offer to even remotely have a a chance of knocking off market leaders. To use the most relevant buzzword humanely possible, there was nothing disruptive about what Elon Musk has done with Tesla.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I can't think of another luxury electric vehicle that existed at the time. Whether you think that's innovative or not is up to you, but it was an untapped market to make electric vehicles cool.

Yeah, it's pretty much this. So many people don't know about/forgot about the Tesla Roadster (electric Lotus Elise), which was not only completely unique at the time but was also setting EV-distance records. While they may not have invented any of the core technologies, they were the first to put them together into a very nicely working package that was also fun to drive.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Motronic posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much this. So many people don't know about/forgot about the Tesla Roadster (electric Lotus Elise), which was not only completely unique at the time but was also setting EV-distance records. While they may not have invented any of the core technologies, they were the first to put them together into a very nicely working package that was also fun to drive.

You can change out the engine how much you want, it's still just a low-volume luxury car. The car that got Tesla buzzing was the Model S and even with Norway putting absurd numbers of state subsidies on the car (driving sales through the roof) Tesla could still not seize upon the momentum and actually get anywhere with it. We're still waiting around for someone to actually popularize the electrical car, because it has yet to happen.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Model S also has obscene torque and can outgun most supercars. Seems pretty innovative to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pokie posted:

Model S also has obscene torque and can outgun most supercars. Seems pretty innovative to me.

Again, business as usual when it comes to luxury sport cars. When we are talking about innovation in the context of startups incremental innovation is not enough. To be 'disruptive' something has to be revolutionary and have mass market adoption, it can't just be a slight variation on something that already exist which barely anyone uses.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just because you cannot think of any doesn't mean they didn't exist. The issue was timing as poor battery performance and lack of range suppressed any pent up demand and pushed larger manufacturers subject to traditional economic factors from attempting more than a token push into the market. Tesla hit upon the right timing, where lithium-ion performance coupled with resurgence of tech bubble economics and brand-making which allowed for reach into a potentially shy market, and leveraged it to start-up style success. The roadster itself was just a frankenstein of parts from other car manufacturers, with a slick new coating of marketing and freedom to eschew traditional economic success indicators. I will certainly grant that leveraging timing to such a degree requires some positive effort on behalf of the company and I am grateful for its position as market catalyst.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MiddleOne posted:

Again, business as usual when it comes to luxury sport cars. When we are talking about innovation in the context of startups incremental innovation is not enough. To be 'disruptive' something has to be revolutionary and have mass market adoption, it can't just be a slight variation on something that already exist which barely anyone uses.

Really? It's like 2-4 times cheaper than competitors.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

pokie posted:

But did Tesla invent torque?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Name a real innovation for us please.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Name a real innovation for us please.

Not being an incremental improvement on something that already exists, preferably by popularising a new field of products or services in the process. Apple did not invent the MP3 player and while the Ipod was succesful it was hardly more than an incremental improvement. Compare that to the iPhone, which innovated smartphones from niche product into mass-market. The Tesla Model S was undeniably innovative, the question if it was relevantly innovative, which I argue it was not.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 23, 2017

asdf32
May 15, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Not being an incremental improvement on something that already exists. The Tesla Model S was undeniably innovative, the question if it was relevantly innovative, which I argue it was not.

And what's an example of something that's not incremental?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MiddleOne posted:

The car that got Tesla buzzing was the Model S and even with Norway putting absurd numbers of state subsidies on the car (driving sales through the roof) Tesla could still not seize upon the momentum and actually get anywhere with it. We're still waiting around for someone to actually popularize the electrical car, because it has yet to happen.

I don't mean to be all USA chauvinist on you, but Norway does not matter to the fortunes of Tesla, or any other non-Norwegian company. You probably shouldn't extrapolate your local results to judge that they're gonna fail.

In the US they sell every car they can make and their main problem is that they're always falling short on production, followed distantly by labor practices that they really should fix. For one thing, maybe if labor was happier they'd be more productive!

asdf32 posted:

I don't care what people think about innovation, which is pretty subjective in a lot of cases. I'd just like them to have a coherent understanding of capitalism. The guy saying that the irrational exuberance over Tesla's stock is keeping them afloat for example.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Something that actually changes the market. The internet did not look the same before Google's search engine showed that searching could be non poo poo. Cloud computing was not a mass industry before Amazon perfected it and made centralized server-hosting seem overly complicated. No one loving thought they wanted a slightly larger smartphone for home use before some idiot at Apple thought up the iPad.

Tesla and Space X is not Paypal is what I'm saying.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

asdf32 posted:

Not incremental?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

MiddleOne posted:

Something that actually changes the market. The internet did not look the same before Google's search engine showed that searching could be non poo poo. Cloud computing was not a mass industry before Amazon perfected it and made centralized server-hosting seem overly complicated. No one loving thought they wanted a slightly larger smartphone for home use before some idiot at Apple thought up the iPad.

they may get their face smashed in, but if they get their face smashed in it'll be by all the established companies giddying up and making a decent electric car by copying the gently caress out of some of tesla's ideas

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MiddleOne posted:

Something that actually changes the market.

Space X

SpaceX hasn't changed the market for space launch. Ooooookay.

You see, MiddleOne hasn't taken a ride on a rocket, and teslas aren't popular in Norway. Not innovative!

But he does have an iphone and an ipad. That's innovation!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Something that actually changes the market. The internet did not look the same before Google's search engine showed that searching could be non poo poo.\

If you know the first thing about the Internet from that time (like, you were around to use it) this is the definition of incremental. Search arguably started with Gopher, but pick your starting point. It was largely hand indexed. Then came along the next wave of search engines with hand indexing plus submissions. Then web crawling. It all kinda still sucked, but then Google took all of that an come up with a better algorithm for ranking crawled results and displaying them.

MiddleOne posted:

Cloud computing was not a mass industry before Amazon perfected it

If there was something to perfect it was by definition an incremental improvement.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Well this is done and drat I still have a bunch of time to kill.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Lol that people in this thread are arguing that human advancement isn't always incremental. Everything is born out of the context from which it came; the collective knowledge of that context. There are no original ideas that spring forth from either the vacuum or from the mind of some libertarian technologist.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I sometimes wonder whether the mass market will even matter in 10 or so more years when nobody but the 0.00001% has any money left.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

To use the most relevant buzzword humanely possible, there was nothing disruptive about what Elon Musk has done with Tesla.

In the academic sense of the word, this is spot on. Tesla is not serving an ignored low end market segment in a fundamentally new way. It's a luxury product.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

In the academic sense of the word, this is spot on. Tesla is not serving an ignored low end market segment in a fundamentally new way. It's a luxury product.

I'm far from a Musk fanboy even though in the context of some of the posters here I'll probably be accused of it: he said early on he wanted to bring this down market, and drat if they aren't. $110k, roadster to a $68k model S ($82k Model X) to a $35k Model 3.

You might say that's......incremental.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Klyith posted:

SpaceX hasn't changed the market for space launch. Ooooookay.
Musk is sort of libertarian so everything he does is auto-poo poo, okay?

BrandorKP posted:

So it's literally impossible to disrupt a luxury market with a different kind of luxury good? That's a dumb definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cicero posted:

So it's literally impossible to disrupt a luxury market with a different kind of luxury good? That's a dumb definition.

I'll see if I can find the for you tonight (I'm PST so it'll be late) I think I had a link to the HBR paper where the term was coined in my MIS notes. But yeah what Musk is doing is just normal competition by a business for a high margin luxury market. It's not disuption.