Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mustang posted:

If you get the chance you should check out the first CoD:Modern Warfare, I think it has the best campaign of the modern CoD games. There's a similar portion where you get to shoot in thermal imaging from an AC-130 spectre gunship and then it switches back to the troops on the ground as the enemy is getting blown the gently caress up all around you. The sniper missions in Chernobyl are also well done. The first Modern Warfare also isn't quite as over the top as the later titles are.

I picked up Battlefield 3 for $0 a couple of days back and was grinding my way through the tedious single player (mainly to coo at the graphics on my new computer) when I got to the bit where you are a rock hard Spetznaz rear end in a top hat shooting your way through Paris and holy poo poo this is amazing and then you're in a huge metal bastard of a tank and omg this is also amazing. Why the hell they didn't start with that instead of Cutscene and Follow the Guy While He Opens the Door I have no idea.

E: oh and just cut fuckin Grainy Hard Men Interviewing Each Other. Just snip it, fire those pixels. We can either work out the plot or we don't care, Dice.

sebmojo has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Shooters in general need to work on their openings. CoD: Ghosts did it right; you get about 30 seconds of walking back into town with your dad and brother at the end of a camping trip, then suddenly poo poo starts exploding. Then the camera pans about 22,000 miles upwards and you're in a zero-G shootout with enemy Combat Astronauts on an orbital weapons platform :rock:

Mass Effect 2 opening with the character you created and played with for 40+ hours getting blasted to pieces and set adrift in the vacuum of space was pretty good too.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Mass Effect 2 opening with the character you created and played with for 40+ hours getting blasted to pieces and set adrift in the vacuum of space was pretty good too.

Say what you want about the ebb and flow of quality in Mass Effect, when they bring in the Normandy on a cool approach with that amazing music it's an absolute Goddamn triumph every time. They stretch out the prologue hand-holdy Cerberus base this is how you shot mans part of ME2 reaaaaallllllly long after the initially amazing SHEPS NOOOOOO moment, but it's all worth it to get the SR2/Joker reveal payoff.

I actually really felt that they nailed it in ME3 (stupid dead kid bit aside), largely because I live in Vancouver, where it just so happens they set the cold open and suddenly REAPERS YO :frogout:

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Jun 6, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

Hell, they had working mirrors in Duke Nukem 3D. You needed to have a large blank sector behind the wall for the effect to work, for some reason, but work it did!
You could put stuff in the mirror sectors and it would be visible in the mirror, like put some writing on the opposite wall or something. You could even put enemies in there, and they can see the player through the mirror and will basically stand there staring at you when you play the level.

EmmyOk posted:

It's probably been posted multiple times but I just got Watch_Dogs and it's a really neat feature. When you set a waypoint it not only maps it out as a coloured line on your mini-map, but also a blue line onscreen. Kind of like the objective beam in Dead Space (which is another small thing I loved).
Sleeping Dogs did a similar thing that I liked, putting floating arrows in the air telling you when you needed to make a turn.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Tiggum posted:

Sleeping Dogs did a similar thing that I liked, putting floating arrows in the air telling you when you needed to make a turn.

I like Saint's Row 3's way of just putting up a "wall" of light and arrows saying "TURN HERE". It was almost always the best path, and if it wasn't, you could find a shortcut that would then have a popup saying "shortcut unlocked!" and it would use that path in the future.

Then Saint's Row 4 gave you super speed and super jump and super glide, and who gives a poo poo about cars I'm a god drat super hero. Also SR4's repeated digs at Mass Effect's romances. Ro-bro is always the best choice.

Final SR4 thing, the ending music to Enter the Dominatrix. They had an opportunity and they loving took it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPouPKGmFE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kruller posted:

I like Saint's Row 3's way of just putting up a "wall" of light and arrows saying "TURN HERE". It was almost always the best path, and if it wasn't, you could find a shortcut that would then have a popup saying "shortcut unlocked!" and it would use that path in the future.

Oh yeah, I forgot that SR3 did it as well.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Jun 6, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Didn't Just Cause 2 do this when you were in a car too?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Croccers posted:

Didn't Just Cause 2 do this when you were in a car too?

You could drive in that? I thought it was just lashing yourself to jets and launching all over, like God intended.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Kruller posted:

You could drive in that? I thought it was just lashing yourself to jets and launching all over, like God intended.

How do you expect to bail out of a car, have it run into the enemy, and explode while you fly away if you couldn't drive?

By the way, if you bail out of a car and it hits something, it will almost always explode.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

pussy riot police posted:

How do you expect to bail out of a car, have it run into the enemy, and explode while you fly away if you couldn't drive?

By the way, if you bail out of a car and it hits something, it will almost always explode.

Within the first 15 minutes of playing that game for the first time, I'd managed to lash the hood of a jeep full of bad guys to the highway, cause the jeep to flip tits over ankles, slam into another jeep full of bad guys, and explode all over a bridge, taking out two more jeeps full of bad guys. I got such an action movie boner I blacked out.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Jehde posted:

I'm not sure how common this sort of thing is in race sims, but in Assetto Corsa if you just sit in neutral gear and keep the engine revs in the red, your engine will gradually get damaged. If you're flying down a straight at 200 kmph and in 6th gear and then instantly slam down to 1st gear, it will surely just kill your engine entirely.

The F1 racing game I had for the N64 did that depending on how realistic you set the damage to be, but that was the first and last racing sim I ever played.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Can I just say I am loving everything about Luftrausers right now? Its so good I need to tell somebody.

It has that Hotline Miami thing going on, some reviewer said that Hotline Miami was almost more like a racing game than a beat em up game, because of how fast you do the same level over and over and over trying to shave time and mistakes off from your lap. Luftrausers has the same amazing thing, you're dead just as soon as you started and then you're back playing again. There's no investment at all, so you don't even feel bad about dying, just go go go go go. As a result, you hit a certain rhythm, a groove, and its fantastic.

I love that there's no story or anything and its just a freaking arcade style game. Games need to stop trying to be movies. Sometimes its good but like 95% of games nowadays want to set up an epic franchise... enough! I just wanna shoot laser beams.

And the music is freaking awesome. Reminds me of Red Alert's hell march.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Kruller posted:

Within the first 15 minutes of playing that game for the first time, I'd managed to lash the hood of a jeep full of bad guys to the highway, cause the jeep to flip tits over ankles, slam into another jeep full of bad guys, and explode all over a bridge, taking out two more jeeps full of bad guys. I got such an action movie boner I blacked out.

A typical day on Panau. Just Cause 2 really is brilliant.

Also I need to get round to SR4's DLC apparently. Dunno why I haven't yet, to be honest. I think I even had that season pass thingamaajig.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
A little thing in Lightning Returns is that the metal chocobo music is back, as a boss theme.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kruller posted:

Final SR4 thing, the ending music to Enter the Dominatrix. They had an opportunity and they loving took it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPouPKGmFE

Also, if I'm not mistaken that's Steve Blum doing the voice of D'artanan there.

What else has he done, you may ask. Also the zombie voice option in SR3.

Oh, and the main character from Bulletstorm and basically every version of Wolverine for the past 10 years or so.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, and the main character from Bulletstorm and basically every version of Wolverine for the past 10 years or so.

EVERYTHING

Just gonna touch that up for you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CzarChasm posted:

Peak Steve Blum is in War hammer 40k Dawn of War 2 where he plays two space marine heroes and the chaos villain. And he uses his normal voice just with different audio effects.

I'm so glad he isn't in everything anymore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, nowadays it's all about Nolan North. You might know him as Nathan Drake, Desmond Miles, 10 different heroes in Dota 2 (11 if you count Ogre Magi as two), Deadpool or the 'Nolan North' voice option in Saint Row 4's character customizer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Peak Steve Blum is in War hammer 40k Dawn of War 2 where he plays two space marine heroes and the chaos villain. And he uses his normal voice just with different audio effects.

Actually, he's THREE Blood Ravens (Cyrus, Martellus and the Apothecary) in the original campaign. I think he's some of the generic ork voices too.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Red Dead Redemption was a really really really good game, but probably the best part is when you first set foot in mexico, and this happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oWKCp102ic

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Red Dead Redemption was a really really really good game, but probably the best part is when you first set foot in mexico, and this happens

Even better when you get there at night, IMO. I think if you start the mission that ends there around mid day, it's late dusk when the music starts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mierenneuker posted:

Well, nowadays it's all about Nolan North. You might know him as Nathan Drake, Desmond Miles, 10 different heroes in Dota 2 (11 if you count Ogre Magi as two), Deadpool or the 'Nolan North' voice option in Saint Row 4's character customizer.

Troy Baker's getting up there too, but he hasn't reached the point of talking to himself.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

HOW COULD YOU posted:

BRB just gonna go play through red dead for a 4th time.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

McDragon posted:

A typical day on Panau. Just Cause 2 really is brilliant.

Also I need to get round to SR4's DLC apparently. Dunno why I haven't yet, to be honest. I think I even had that season pass thingamaajig.

What I love about Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 4 is that they are both the fullest expressions of "We made an open world game have as many fun features as possible, not just by ignoring realism but by kickflipping over it while making GBS threads into its mouth."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
When asking what other voices has steve blum done its better to ask what he hasnt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Troy Baker's getting up there too, but he hasn't reached the point of talking to himself.

Someone never played Persona 4.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't count for Troy Baker! Now JYB...he does talk to himself as to completely different characters.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

David Copperfield posted:

What I love about Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 4 is that they are both the fullest expressions of "We made an open world game have as many fun features as possible, not just by ignoring realism but by kickflipping over it while making GBS threads into its mouth."

Really, Volition is great if only for the "bug" in Saint's Row 2 they turned in to a feature.

If you earn the shock paddles from doing ambulance missions, you can bring people back to life with them, or kill them. A tester found that if someone is dead and you turn around and walk about 20 feet away, the ragdoll ends up laying flat on their back. If you hit them with the shock paddle while they are in this position, instead of coming back to life, they launch in to orbit. Rather than fix this bug, Volition released a youtube video of it to show people how to do it, just because it's funny.

Also I'm fairly certain Just Cause 2 has a typo in the title, and it's intended to be Just 'cause 2.

Here's a little thing from a game I'm currently playing, Rune Factory 4. A lot of games translated from Japan don't bother with humor. There may be attempts at jokes, but they are almost always either weak, or just make no sense because they're a literal translation. Rune Factory 4's localization was clearly done by native English speakers, because there are tons of little flavor texts all over the place that are just genuinely funny. The story and dialogue is still pretty weak and overwrought with every emotion possible, but that flavor text is great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

That doesn't count for Troy Baker! Now JYB...he does talk to himself as to completely different characters.

Well, there's also Lego Batman 2 where he voiced both Batman and Two Face. :colbert:

(I like Troy Baker but the dude is in eeeeverything these days.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

Well, there's also Lego Batman 2 where he voiced both Batman and Two Face. :colbert:

(I like Troy Baker but the dude is in eeeeverything these days.)

Probably because he's cheap(er) and he's good. I mean, he's recognizable, but he can actually act, which is more than you can say for a lot of video game VAs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

That's deliberate and basically the same character, it doesn't count. Persona 3 counts for Yuri Lowenthall talking to himself, though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kruller posted:

Really, Volition is great if only for the "bug" in Saint's Row 2 they turned in to a feature.

If you earn the shock paddles from doing ambulance missions, you can bring people back to life with them, or kill them. A tester found that if someone is dead and you turn around and walk about 20 feet away, the ragdoll ends up laying flat on their back. If you hit them with the shock paddle while they are in this position, instead of coming back to life, they launch in to orbit. Rather than fix this bug, Volition released a youtube video of it to show people how to do it, just because it's funny.

That's not quite true. What testers found was that if a dead body just happened to be lying flat on their back when you shocked them, they would fly into the air. Volition added that walk 20 feet away thing in afterward to make it easier to do intentionally, while also not making it obvious.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

That's deliberate and basically the same character, it doesn't count. Persona 3 counts for Yuri Lowenthall talking to himself, though.

Not really, considering the same principle. Main Character and Pharos/Ryoji are all the same person, in a sense.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Legit probably the greatest moment in video games like ever. It's insane how good that game is, especially with the music cues and licensed music they used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_dBxGThEx8
Skip to 2 minutes or so

Continuation from that the dynamic music from GTAV is downright brilliant. From the same guy who did Red Dead's music too.

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Jun 7, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TontoCorazon posted:

Legit probably the greatest moment in video games like ever. It's insane how good that game is, especially with the music cues and licensed music they used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_dBxGThEx8
Skip to 2 minutes or so

I was actually taking my horse slow on that ride, just enjoying the musi- OH gently caress COUGAR

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kruller posted:

In the same vein, in Saints Row 3, there are no vehicles without fuel or engines but one. During one short sequence, you liberate a character from a sex dungeon and are pursued by gangsters with the only transportation available: rickshaws pulled by gimps. Since up to this point there had been no need to program any vehicle to do otherwise, the rickshaws explode with a huge fireball when they take enough damage. Since this is hilarious, it was not changed when the developers realized it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

In the same vein, in Saints Row 3, there are no vehicles without fuel or engines but one. During one short sequence, you liberate a character from a sex dungeon and are pursued by gangsters with the only transportation available: rickshaws pulled by gimps. Since up to this point there had been no need to program any vehicle to do otherwise, the rickshaws explode with a huge fireball when they take enough damage. Since this is hilarious, it was not changed when the developers realized it.

They actually did plan to have the rickshaws have their own special destruction animation, but when they saw it with the placeholder default explosion they said "gently caress it, this is way funnier"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cleretic posted:

Because there will be at least one goon who doesn't get that reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

While some people do not like the AI in Watch Dogs I think it was done amazingly well. Dudes spot you and relay your position and they close on that position. If you can escape unseen, they will continue to shoot at, grenade, and move in towards your last known position while you duck around the back to kill some dudes. They give you tons of ways both through your items and through interacting with the environment to lead people around by the nose into hazards or proxy mines or whatever else you want to use. It's the first time that I've ever played a stealth game which you could blow up every one of 20 dudes in an area and never actually have them alert to you if you have a good hiding spot or some set up time.

I also love hacking dudes grenades because the behavior varies. Sometimes they get the grenade free and toss it away from them in a random direction which might or might not result in someone dying, other times they don't get rid of it in time and attract attention so that everyone is watching them when they go. There's one where the guard yells as he rips it off "Tell my wife... Tell my wife... I WAS loving HER SISTER!"

Also, there are some pretty dark random moments. Anyone who's seen a trailer knows human trafficking gets involved. Well, at one point you get a side quest to look up dudes who buy and sell women. You hack them, get the location of an item, and go find it. As with most things when you hack you don't just get random info, you get some context with phone calls or texts.

I hacked a trafficker dude who starts sending messages. "I miss you so much... It's not the same without you... I've done some horrible things to fill the gap you left in my life... SEND FAILED"

Some dude was sending texts to his dead wife/girlfriend's deactivated cell phone admitting that after he lost her he started dealing in sex slaves. Just all kinds of hosed up. And then you send the cops after him because gently caress him and his grieving process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mierenneuker posted:

Because there will be at least one goon who doesn't get that reference:

My mind first went to Quake 4, where Steve Blum voices at least 60% of the background marine chatter, so it's really easy to bump into Steve Blum shooting the poo poo with Steve Blum on the marine ship.

• Locked thread