Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Oh man. I cannot stand Boston.

The band, not the city.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
As a sports fan, I want to see the city and the fans of their teams incinerated in nuclear fire.

The band I’m meh on. Their debut album is legit good, if hugely overplayed by classic rock radio for the last almost 50 years, so I can understand not wanting to hear it ever again unless deliberately seeking it out (I listen to it like once every other year and that’s usually enough).

For me, overexposure is big thing with a lot of music. There’s a ton of artists/albums/songs that are amazing, but have been so absurdly overplayed that I can’t fully enjoy them at random.

Like, an easy example is Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones. Yes, it’s a classic, blah blah blah, but I never need to randomly hear the album version ever again. I’m okay with live versions, which have different arrangements and tempos and whatnot, and if I’m listening to a concert that’s fine. If I hear it in a movie, not an issue. But if I have on shuffle, the album version is usually getting skipped unless I’m in a very specific headspace where “Eh, I somehow haven’t heard this in many months” and maybe I’ll let it play.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 25, 2024

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

fartknocker posted:

As a sports fan, I want to see the city and the fans of their teams incinerated in nuclear fire.

The band I’m meh on. Their debut album is legit good, if hugely overplayed by classic rock radio for the last almost 50 years, so I can understand not wanting to hear it ever again unless deliberately seeking it out (I listen to it like once every other year and that’s usually enough).

I just cannot stand that era's synth sound. Boston, Styx, Kansas, etc. I don't know. It's just not a style I enjoy at all.

But enjoy ur sports & music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hDFHu8a4w

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Escape From Noise posted:

Oh man. I cannot stand Boston.

The "band", not the city.

Would you say it's more than a feeling?

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I was into a lot of classic rock in high school and for some reason I loved Boston, I had that first album on cd and listened to it a lot. So now I associate those songs as strongly with high school as I do things actually from that time period such as Jimmy Eat World.

That being said I don't think I ever actually need to hear another Boston song again in my life. I don't hate it now but I've just heard it enough for one lifetime.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Would you say it's more than a feeling?

Yes. It's an instinct.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I like weird proto punk from that era like Rocket From the Tombs or goofy bullshit like Captain Beefheart and The Residents.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

more than a feeling is just a good dumb song you can sing along to with your friends on a sunny day on a road trip

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i've finally narrowed down my crazy face rash to "i am allergic to my friends puppy" and i am so bummed :cry:

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I was into a lot of classic rock in high school and for some reason I loved Boston, I had that first album on cd and listened to it a lot. So now I associate those songs as strongly with high school as I do things actually from that time period such as Jimmy Eat World.

That being said I don't think I ever actually need to hear another Boston song again in my life. I don't hate it now but I've just heard it enough for one lifetime.

100% same. A ton of other bands, too, that I am apathetical at best and I have no problem - a preference even - to never ever know anything about them ever again. It was a good run but I'm done.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Ruby Gloom posted:

i've finally narrowed down my crazy face rash to "i am allergic to my friends puppy" and i am so bummed :cry:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5KPT WE NEED EVERYONE ON DECK TO SEND THOUGHTS AND OR PRAYERS

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5KPT WE NEED EVERYONE ON DECK TO SEND THOUGHTS AND OR PRAYERS

on the plus side it's the huge german shepherd one, not tiny cocker spaniel Olive :3:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I just remembered that you used to be forbidden from using your phone at all in the subways in Sapporo years ago. Weird stuff.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Penis

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Huge, if true. :pervert:

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Escape From Noise posted:

I just remembered that you used to be forbidden from using your phone at all in the subways in Sapporo years ago. Weird stuff.

As in conversing vocally? Texting? Listening to music? What is the intended purpose of this rule?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

dudes rock lol

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

As in conversing vocally? Texting? Listening to music? What is the intended purpose of this rule?

Prevent upskirt photos I think. Or possibly some kind of cultural belief that it will attract sandworms, idk

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g5HZgukvD8

this is today's vibe, i think im finally gonna rebuild my youtube disco playlist in spotify. i love disco thank u

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Talking on the phone is banned on all public transit here but you can text or whatever. I guess the ban was lifted 15 years ago. Not entirely sure of the purpose.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I will pretty much buy any old bullshit if it comes with a neat glass.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I just remembered Papa Roach was a band name.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

In case you weren't aware today is the perfect date.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

definitely a light jacket kinda day

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Eh, I feel they’re a lot worse than a lot of major bands. An absurd amount of their songs, or at least the ones that get heavy radio airplay/pop culture exposure are done with essentially the same guitar tone and very basic riffs/song structure, and the vocalists sing every song the same way.

To contrast it with the ones you mentioned, Journey has at least a solid bit of diversity among their big stuff (Don’t Stop Believing, Separate Ways, Only The Young, Any Way You Want It, among others). Boston is a bit more samey sounding tones and production, but they have a far smaller catalog than most band. Essentially everything you hear on radio is from their first album, with like two songs from the second, so there isn’t much change overall. There are a few that do sound similar, but they’ve still got more variety in song composition and vocals among them. Foreigner falls into the same generic “70s arena rock” category, but at least their big radio staples aren’t all the same exact tone doing the same basic riffs every time.

That's their thing though. That's what works. Not every band has to be virtuoso. Not every band has to break new ground every song or new album. AC/DC found their niche, they stayed in it, and were very successful at it. Kudos to them, I say.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oh man, 2014, Foxoboro, Tom freakin Brady taking the field, AC/DC's Thunderstruck starts playing, a rumble in the distance, here comes a B-2 Stealth Bomber fly over....

THUNDER!!!!!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ruby Gloom posted:

more than a feeling is just a good dumb song you can sing along to with your friends on a sunny day on a road trip

Or air band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAgT8KOLF8

Ruby Gloom posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Ruby Gloom posted:

on the plus side it's the huge german shepherd one, not tiny cocker spaniel Olive :3:

Send me the German Shepherd puppy I’ll hug it and love it and play with it as the puppy uncle for a day or two.

redshirt posted:

That's their thing though. That's what works. Not every band has to be virtuoso. Not every band has to break new ground every song or new album. AC/DC found their niche, they stayed in it, and were very successful at it. Kudos to them, I say.

Oh yeah, I get that, and there’s nothing wrong with frequently staying with a recognizable style and format, and there are absolutely bands I love who very much did to some extent. I just think the way AC/DC did it is loving terrible, or at least in regards to the majority of their “classic”/most famous work. It’s all done in the same tone, essentially the same tempo, and not being able to distinguish half the songs until you hit the course at the same point a minute in, and Brian Johnson’s vocals* just not being my vibe at all. If I’ve heard one song, I don’t need to hear any others, since they’re often barely distinguishable anyway.

* I have found the only songs by them that I can tolerate are some of the earlier Bon Scott stuff, like Dirty Deeds and to a lesser extent, Highway to Hell. But, even back during my heavy music :filez: days when I was grabbing anything and everything I vaguely kinda sorta was interested in or just might want for shits and giggles (Which is how I have greatest hits albums of stuff like the aforementioned Journey and Foreigner and all sorts of other insanity), I never got anything by them, since even those handful of songs just weren’t worth it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

redshirt posted:

Oh man, 2014, Foxoboro, Tom freakin Brady taking the field, AC/DC's Thunderstruck starts playing, a rumble in the distance, here comes a B-2 Stealth Bomber fly over....

THUNDER!!!!!

That B-2 should have nuked Foxboro.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

4/25?

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i don't mind ac/dc, not a huge fan or whatever but the usual bangers are pretty ok

right now i am listening to poison do not @ me

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ruby Gloom posted:

Ruby. No.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ruby Gloom posted:

i don't mind ac/dc, not a huge fan or whatever but the usual bangers are pretty ok

Did you fall down a YouTube hole of Scrubs music after watching the air band video too?

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

Did you fall down a YouTube hole of Scrubs music after watching the air band video too?

uhh yeaah that's it, it's definitely not my own spotify :ninja:

but EFN

every rose has its thorn

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Speaking of Scrubs The Blanks made some incredibly catchy renditions of popular music.

I'm not even joking when I say I have their Facts of Life theme cover in regular rotation.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ruby Gloom posted:

but EFN

every rose has its thorn

Oh man.

Not the ballads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCiXKpO94g

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ruby Gloom posted:

It's nothin' but a good time.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

redshirt posted:

THUNDER!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRieOPQ8XsQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

A guy I knew knew a guy who started a green chili business in Portland with a guy from The Shins and they'd get drunk and the shin's guy would try to play his music for the other guy and the other guy would always be like "I'm sorry, but I hate your band."

That's my Scrubs story!