Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They should ditch all that for an 80's nighthawk square sealed beam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

I would not have expected the Yamaha in a group of Triumphs to be the one with a mechanical issue.

Also, is it blasphemous to say that I wish Triumph would ditch the bug eyes and go back to dual round headlights?

Unless you go full-insect bug eyes are the worst.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

This looks so much better. It's stupid that you have to drop over $1k aftermarket for it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Let my buddy with the broken FZ ride my bikes today, and finally got out for a good ride myself. It was fun switching back and forth, and I love both of my bikes so much.

NICE!

doppler posted:

Tried to go on a trip to Åland, had to abort when the Yamaha in the gang decided to throw out it's front sprocket lock nut.

Jazzzzz posted:

I would not have expected the Yamaha in a group of Triumphs to be the one with a mechanical issue.

Also, is it blasphemous to say that I wish Triumph would ditch the bug eyes and go back to dual round headlights?

Not surprised. The WR250x was bulletproof, but my buddy's year old FZ-09 had the clutch basket frag itself, and the clutch disks crack like saltines. Apparently this is normal, and they are saying it's "normal wear and tear" and refusing to cover it. But people bitch about KTM all the time because it's fun even though the 690 has been pretty bulletproof in the last year and 9k.

It's not blasphemous. It looks hidious, and a single round headlight would look so much better. Doubly so if it's got the inset LED projector array thing that is so in vogue.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sorry, a clutch basket exploding isn't normal. Something is up with that dealership - if they're saying mother Yamaha won't cover it, assuming it's still under warranty, escalate to Yamaha of North America:

code:
Yamaha Sport Contact Us

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA 
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926 

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks, I passed on that information. I agree it's not normal, and he paid a ton for an extended warranty, so they shouldn't even jerk him around on this.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

Not fond of the headlights on my 2013 Street Triple. The new gen looks great though, IMO.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Digital Jedi posted:

Just bought my first bike! Sad thing is my insurance company is closed for the weekend so I have to wait till Monday to ride it.
But the little I have done on it I have loved every second of it.

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

Awesome! I have an 07 900 classic, you're going to have a lot of fun.

Slavvy posted:

Also that horrendous bar/clamp combo.

Also the wiring harness to the bars will cause you problems. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but one day the PO fuckery radiation emanating from there will start to affect poo poo.

That reminds me, the moron who owned my bike before me did put a horn relay in (probably for an airhorn), and did a poo poo job. Wires that are too short so he used whatever he had at hand and butt connectors to make up the difference, the relay he added isn't secured, it just flops around behind the side cover and half the connectors are bare so they're either packed with dirt or free to ground out against the frame (probably what made it beep on its own to begin with).

Moral of the story is if you're going to touch electrics, do it right instead of "eh, that'll do."

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
New bike! (previously an R3). This is the NA ABS that only comes in red so I had to change the panels to a superior color.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

-A n i m 8- posted:

New bike! (previously an R3). This is the NA ABS that only comes in red so I had to change the panels to a superior color.
I was going to do that until I sat on one, the key being in front just weirded me out for some reason. Looks good though. How do you like it?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

ilkhan posted:

I was going to do that until I sat on one, the key being in front just weirded me out for some reason. Looks good though. How do you like it?

The torque.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I want to ride and possibly own one of those so much.

If you would have told me a few years ago I would be pining over a 700cc ptwin instead of it's model's bigger triple package I would have called you and/or myself crazy.

Nice bike man.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

tjones posted:

I want to ride and possibly own one of those so much.

If you would have told me a few years ago I would be pining over a 700cc ptwin instead of it's model's bigger triple package I would have called you and/or myself crazy.

Nice bike man.

Yeah I sat on the 09 and it was just not right for me. Huge tank in front, seating position all kinda wacky...

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Voltage posted:

Very nice, now take off that pipe wrap so it won't rust :v:

I plan to. If they are rusted or just bad looking, beside getting new pipes what would be the best way to not have be an eyesore?

Slavvy posted:

Also that horrendous bar/clamp combo.

Also the wiring harness to the bars will cause you problems. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but one day the PO fuckery radiation emanating from there will start to affect poo poo.

I'm really new to riding. Can you explain what you mean exactly?

As Nero Danced posted:

Awesome! I have an 07 900 classic, you're going to have a lot of fun.

I already am! Short rides to and from work (6miles round trip, 10-15 minutes each way) but it has been a blast!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Digital Jedi posted:

I plan to. If they are rusted or just bad looking, beside getting new pipes what would be the best way to not have be an eyesore?
Hit them with a wire wheel if there is heavy rust or poo poo flaking off. A vigorous hand polishing with compound and cloth will probably be sufficient, though. You can also have them painted with high temp paint. You can do this yourself, but it really goes better if you have a pro with an oven do it.

quote:

Don't pay much attention to slavvy.

quote:

I already am! Short rides to and from work (6miles round trip, 10-15 minutes each way) but it has been a blast!

Did you take the MSF course? Do that if not.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hit them with a wire wheel if there is heavy rust or poo poo flaking off. A vigorous hand polishing with compound and cloth will probably be sufficient, though. You can also have them painted with high temp paint. You can do this yourself, but it really goes better if you have a pro with an oven do it.

Alright I'll look at them in a few days and see what the situation is. Thanks

quote:

Don't pay much attention to slavvy.
Will do.

quote:

Did you take the MSF course? Do that if not.

Yes. Aside from learning and being really helpful. Also saved me $50 off my insurance for a year of coverage. Highly recommend.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Slavvy /is/ correct, those bars are terrible

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

Those bars are terrible for riding, you'll have poor steering leverage on the bars and they'll hold back your skills. The bar clamps are just an eyesore but keep them if you like them?

The wiring looks like it's wrapped in that stuff they use on diggers and poo poo. That plus the bars and other aesthetic aspects correlate well with someone who does DIY badly and this will probably cause you issues down the line.

By all means ignore me.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Slavvy posted:

Those bars are terrible for riding, you'll have poor steering leverage on the bars and they'll hold back your skills. The bar clamps are just an eyesore but keep them if you like them?

The wiring looks like it's wrapped in that stuff they use on diggers and poo poo. That plus the bars and other aesthetic aspects correlate well with someone who does DIY badly and this will probably cause you issues down the line.

By all means ignore me.

Yeah, don't ignore this.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wait what about this guy who upgraded from an R3 to a FZ08 or whatever that is and no one is insulting him? Won't ilkhan be upset at this double standard?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

By all means ignore me.

I'll take that back and will not ignore you.
Thanks for explaining it. Really helps to clarify what you mean.

Here is a more up closer view of the setup. I should be able to remove the tape pretty easily. I'll have to add new bars to my list of things to work on at some point.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Wait what about this guy who upgraded from an R3 to a FZ08 or whatever that is and no one is insulting him? Won't ilkhan be upset at this double standard?

*FZ-07

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

I'll take that back and will not ignore you.
Thanks for explaining it. Really helps to clarify what you mean.

Here is a more up closer view of the setup. I should be able to remove the tape pretty easily. I'll have to add new bars to my list of things to work on at some point.

Ok so you've got double danger there because it's clearly had longer throttle cables put on to reach the new bars do another point of potential fuckery.

The bars having no sweep at all is pretty bad but they also have nearly no rake so they're dangerously close to the steering axis; in the meantime it might be worthwhile to loosen the clamps and tilt them back toward you a few degrees.

Do your hands feel awkward trying to reach the controls at an angle like that? If you're reasonably tall it probably isn't an issue but ergonomics are super important and one of the pillars of having a good time and not crashing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I agree that personally I think those bars look stupid but I think a bit much is being made of how "bad" they are in an ergonomic or handling sense. They're not THAT high, they're not THAT narrow. It's not like one of those awful Z bar setups or anything.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That depends on how much horsepower fz07 guy's mustang has. It's the only way to judge if someone needs the safety of a more powerful motorcyle.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

And the front stand failed gently caress it throw all my toys out and get a Civic.

gently caress you Oxford stands.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That pic is making me question my $20 stand I got online and really consider a pitbull.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

did you put a bike on a front stand only without a rear stand?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

did you put a bike on a front stand only without a rear stand?

Owner failure by the looks.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was taking it off the stands but yes, yes I did. Bike is fine at least, it crashes well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Front stands don't work without a rear, but at least you learned this with a KTM!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
And the wind whispers "Abba stands".

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And the wind whispers "Abba stands".

Omg I want these so bad! The center stand on the 250 no longer gets the rear wheel off the ground (possibly super sagging suspension) and my front steering head stand has never impressed me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

-A n i m 8- posted:

What "windscreen" is that? I actually like it

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

What "windscreen" is that? I actually like it

https://www.amazon.com/Windscreen-W...z+07+windscreen

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
My friend had a screen just like that on his FZ09 and hated it cause it made the key slot / key turn area really tight and a pain in the rear end.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

I'm at Skull Island in Tennessee, leaving in 20 minutes to continue west towards AZ. Deals Gap was pretty cool. Reminded me how much I suck at motorcycling.

Not a bad trip for a bike that "needs new cases."

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

More Tennessee.

Ozark, AR.

Santa Rosa, NM.

Finally arrived in Tempe, AZ.

You know it's a good machine when you're looking forward to the return trip. Going to have a few load-out changes made before I leave, though.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Welcome to Tempe! That's a long ride, how many miles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
And this is the bike that needed "new cases", right? :cheeky: