Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Proper winter tires pretty much makes anything faster than non winter tire vehicles.

I loved it when people always say my red vehicles would be useless in the winter and I just quietly move along on some good snows while they were spinning their wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Sadi posted:

My gf just picked up a twin 97ex 5 speed for a grand. Eve taken it for 16 runs of rally cross besides DD duty and it's taken it like a chan. Reminded me of why I love Honda.

Just a slow rear end single cam D-bomber here :( still fun to thrash around a bit for the simple fact that it's so light and nimble. It should get me through until spring, when I plan to buy a shiny new Si.

travisray2004 posted:

I think you're racing someone in your imagination.

All the torque and horsepower in the world won't do you any good if you can't use it to propel you forward!

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
New Ride! (It had a defect notice from the PO for overly bald tyres. We have new ones put on now and it goes for inspection next weekend. Fixing it with my dad who has been a mechanic for 25 years.)
1989 JDM Celica GT-Four.

Also my car for the past year and the one that gave me the car bug, a 90 Corolla Seca SX. (Not my photo but it looks almost like this)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I bought a 190k mile Honda last weekend for $2k.

It's grey on the inside and has a manual transmission

The body is ugly, but the rust has been taken care of and it was cheap

Oh, I guess it has a badge on the back

And a motor that sounds funny above 5,000 rpm

And I got an extra set of wheels for free!

94 Integra GSR, mechanically pretty good and all stock minus the intake. Needs a rear cam seal cap to fix that little leak (already ordered an aftermarket one) and a gasket and small spot of weld on the exhaust (small leak). I would like to get a stock airbox for it but it seems people still want $150+ on eBay for one. I also ordered a couple cans of color match Paradise Blue-Green for the quarter panels just so they aren't grey. The extra wheels will get something very sticky for summer.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It's grey on the inside and has a manual transmission

The body is ugly, but the rust has been taken care of and it was cheap

Oh, I guess it has a badge on the back

And a motor that sounds funny above 5,000 rpm

And I got an extra set of wheels for free!

94 Integra GSR, mechanically pretty good and all stock minus the intake. Needs a rear cam seal cap to fix that little leak (already ordered an aftermarket one) and a gasket and small spot of weld on the exhaust (small leak). I would like to get a stock airbox for it but it seems people still want $150+ on eBay for one. I also ordered a couple cans of color match Paradise Blue-Green for the quarter panels just so they aren't grey. The extra wheels will get something very sticky for summer.

I'm pretty sure I have a stock gsr intake lying around, I'll confirm this afternoon when I head over to my friend's shop. If I do you can have it for shipping costs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

doogle posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a stock gsr intake lying around, I'll confirm this afternoon when I head over to my friend's shop. If I do you can have it for shipping costs.

That would be awesome! Thanks. Do you happen to have an extra stock exhaust?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 10, 2015

doogle
May 24, 2003

That would be awesome! Thanks. Do you happen to have an extra stock exhaust?

exhaust manifold or like full header back?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

doogle posted:

exhaust manifold or like full header back?

Just a cat-back actually

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Here is my winter beater. I got it for $1 from my father-in-law. 190k miles. I put a $279 timing belt kit on it and $100 set of craigslist snows. 1.8T 5speed. I'm now trolling for a used APR tune for it. I stupidly passed on a 2004 GTI for $1200 because it was automatic and "not shifting right" according to the seller. Oh well.

Firestones

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 11, 2015

doogle
May 24, 2003

Just a cat-back actually

Sorry man, I checked the pile at the shop and all the intakes were for Civics. I found an exhaust manifold for a b18c, but there weren't any cat backs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I wasn't expecting you of all people to be the poster of this.

G8 GT, Cobra GT500, M3, ...200k mile Integra.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

I like the way you keep your garage.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Raluek posted:

I wasn't expecting you of all people to be the poster of this.

G8 GT, Cobra GT500, M3, ...200k mile Integra.
He sold the M3 for a Hyundai!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

He sold the M3 for a Hyundai!

This is true, but each time I changed vehicles I did it for a reason: Mustang -> M3 = Not driving the Mustang, so traded it and got cash back plus M3. M3 ->Hyundai = Traded the M3 and got the Hyundai plus a bunch of cash for buying my new house, and enough extra to put a bunch of go-fast stuff on the Genesis. The Integra is just a cheap fun project car and not a replacement for any of the above vehicles. I still have the 2013 Civic Si daily beater, the Integra, Genesis Coupe, and the Explorer family-mobile.

ChewedFood posted:

I like the way you keep your garage.

Thanks. It's about twice as large as it looks in those photos as well; there's a two-car-sized workshop over to the passenger side of the Integra.

doogle posted:

Sorry man, I checked the pile at the shop and all the intakes were for Civics. I found an exhaust manifold for a b18c, but there weren't any cat backs.

Solid, thanks for looking. I appreciate the effort.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ThirstyBuck posted:

Here is my winter beater. I got it for $1 from my father-in-law. 190k miles. I put a $279 timing belt kit on it and $100 set of craigslist snows. 1.8T 5speed. I'm now trolling for a used APR tune for it. I stupidly passed on a 2004 GTI for $1200 because it was automatic and "not shifting right" according to the seller. Oh well.

Firestones

You dodged a HUGE bullet if the trans in the GTI is an O1M. Its a poo poo trans that regularly breaks hard parts.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

EDIT: Wrong thread. I'm a dummy.

PleasusChrist fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 12, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Got a new ride two weeks ago:

It is quite nice.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
94 SC400, 80k miles. Work in progress, gently caress electronics.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Fart Pipe posted:

You dodged a HUGE bullet if the trans in the GTI is an O1M. Its a poo poo trans that regularly breaks hard parts.

It was the 09A; I was just going to put in new solenoids and put the back seats down and use it like a turbo pickup truck.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

True to form, I traded one Audi for another.

2013 allroad Prestige. 2.0T, 8spd automatic. I've been wanting one of these for a while, and everything just fell into place to make this deal happen.

After picking it up on Saturday, I went straight from the dealership to a local shop and got the APR E85 tune. So far I've only been in 91 octane mode since that's what the dealer filled it with, so I'll switch to 93 on the next tank. I'll wait until spring to start playing with E85, since the winter blend here is crap. I'm taking the coilovers and everything else from my S4 that will fit. I won't really dig into it for a couple more months, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it already. It goes in for tint tomorrow. :)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My first Jeep. Just picked this up today. 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.0L I6, automatic, 72k miles, no rust, good maintenance records and clean history.

Feeling good about it. Will be nice for the trips up to Vermont and New Hampshire in the snow.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Ditched the Wrangler and went a bit upscale:

Will get better pictures next week or so when the new wheels and all terrains show up.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Bought my first ever new car a few weeks ago. So damned excited about it still.

Day I bought it at the dealer:

And now, filthy with snow tires:

Hooray New England winters.

2015 WRX base, no options except the sti short shifter and I still had to wait three months for it after ordering.

Weather forecast is saying it may actually be above freezing this weekend, might wash it and take it out somewhere nice looking to get some better pictures. I really like how the winter wheels ended up looking on it, went with them over something that looked closer to the stock wheels on a last minute whim when I bought them on tire rack.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

fralbjabar posted:

Bought my first ever new car a few weeks ago. So damned excited about it still.

Day I bought it at the dealer:

And now, filthy with snow tires:

Hooray New England winters.

2015 WRX base, no options except the sti short shifter and I still had to wait three months for it after ordering.

Weather forecast is saying it may actually be above freezing this weekend, might wash it and take it out somewhere nice looking to get some better pictures. I really like how the winter wheels ended up looking on it, went with them over something that looked closer to the stock wheels on a last minute whim when I bought them on tire rack.

Hah! I have the same car, same color. Are those sparco assetto garas?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

D C posted:

Will get better pictures next week or so when the new wheels and all terrains show up.

Most boss. That thing is going to be fantastic.

In CO, this is unfortunately the state of my cars:

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

D C posted:

THE L STANDS FOR LUXURY

How's the ride on that?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Doccers posted:

How's the ride on that?

Mostly depends on what mode its set to. :downs:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

D C posted:

How's your new tank? I mean, how's your new SUV?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

D C posted:

So- whats on the queue for next years' Kitchen Impossible, Bob?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

So- whats on the queue for next years' Kitchen Impossible, Bob?

idgi, are you guys being dicks about this guy's awesome land cruiser that can go more places than AI's entire fleet of XJs?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Tremek posted:

idgi, are you guys being dicks about this guy's awesome land cruiser that can go more places than AI's entire fleet of XJs?

I believe he's referring to this:
http://grewallevymarketing.com/2013/01/22/the-blurry-line-between-advertiser-and-content-provider-a-lexus-sponsored-food-channel-show/

I mean, I'd love to poo poo on someone's Lexus tank but given this is AI I'm assuming he bought it because he needs the space and functionality and not because he thinks he needs a tank to fit one kid in the back on the way to soccer practice like all the Lexus SUV's I see around my area.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 15, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

Tremek posted:

I've just got a hatred for any luxury badged econobox with TOYZ. As a SAAB guy, I know that makes no sense. Shut up.

More accurate, but I was trying for a self-referential joke as well.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I really want an LS430.. would that make me vilified here? :ohdear:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Thats because most of the XJs are getting bellhousings.

I'd take a broken jeep over any 90+ yota anyday

My functional hoopty.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got a better picture of the Forester after a small lift.

The amount of ground clearance it has now is pretty boss for a station wagon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
god drat that looks so good it hurts.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Thats because most of the XJs are getting bellhousings.

I'd take a broken jeep over any 90+ yota anyday

My functional hoopty.

Hell yea, I was trying to find some mud with the Subie just now but everythings frozen, haha.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
This poo poo was mostly frozen too, still had tons of fun.

heated grips are the cats-rear end.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

fingerling posted:

A front engine rear drived V8 Japanese luxobarge? I hope not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

fingerling posted:

Nope. IIRC those can be had for pretty cheap and they are very reliable with solid V8s.

Also superrrrrrr comfy.