Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gold, or gray to match the triumph logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Changed the oil on my 701 @300 miles. There was so much metal on the magnetic plug I'm surprised the manufacturer suggests a change @600 miles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Changed the oil on my 701 @300 miles. There was so much metal on the magnetic plug I'm surprised the manufacturer suggests a change @600 miles.

Any time you have gears in the oil you have a poo poo load of filings on the first drain. This seems to be a thing universal to cars and bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, it's when the amount of chips doesn't decrease that you need to worry.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

High Protein posted:

Did you need to block off the hole the starter gear goes into?

Yeah, I had planned to remove the starter motor, then plug the hole with one of those rubber expansion plugs they sell at auto parts stores. In the end, I decided it would look better if I shaved that whole part of the engine, and made it look as though it never had a starter to begin with.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bottomed out the exhaust pipe on a non-regulation speed bump :doh:

If it's not pierced it's fine, right? It doesn't look dented either, just scraped.

e/ spent my lunch break extracting the rear brake light switch, which picked up a short circuit or something. My brake light is now no longer continuously on :toot:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 7, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's probably fine. Check the bolts where the header goes into the engine for tightness, though. (This wouldn't have knocked them loose if they weren't already loose, but its a good thing to check occasionally.)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Dented exhaust/headers apparently doesn't matter at all \
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Unless it's a 2 stroke I guess?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Actually some dirt bike magazine studied 2t dents and discovered they did almost nothing too. Depending on the dent it sometimes improved HP. I think the only dents that made it worse were massive, like the pipe was mostly crushed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

With two strokes it matters more what the overall length of the expansion chamber is much more than the shape and a bit more than it's volume.

So unless your dent is big enough to shorten the pipe chamber length, you won't really notice it.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Put a new LSL X00 Cross bar on, slightly lower, and slightly more forward. More comfortable, and stops me being sat bolt upright.

...and an aluminium 'screen'

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Did a little tail-chop last night. Didn't turn out quite the way I'd imagined it, but still better than that big 'ol mud flap on the back.

The license plate bracket was purchased at the local pimp-my-scooter shop for 17 euros.

Next project, I'll get rid of that big headlight/dashboard thing in the front. I'm thinking about replacing it with a MX style numberplate and an LED bar.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This is rad as hell

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pinny posted:

Put a new LSL X00 Cross bar on, slightly lower, and slightly more forward. More comfortable, and stops me being sat bolt upright.

...and an aluminium 'screen'

It's kind of amazing how much better the bike looks with just those 2 changes. Nicely done!

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Z3n posted:

It's kind of amazing how much better the bike looks with just those 2 changes. Nicely done!

Thanks, I made up the bracket for the clocks too, which tucks it under the screen nicely. They put the clocks on top of the bars where the clamps are, which with the stock bars, makes it so you pretty much have to bury your chin in your chest to see the drat thing.

I almost went for clip-ons to start with. I found some nice multi-adjustable ones that would work pretty well. I don't think the final riding position would be very comfortable though for day to day. The pegs are too far forward for the amount of leaning forward you'd be doing. They look quite nice though:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
That bike looks awesome and bars are superior to clip-ons in every form of riding except racing. Good choice.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Pinny posted:

m'otorcycle :monocle:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

-removed tool tube as it kept sheering the bash plate bolts when I came down from wheelies/jumped curbs. I wish I could think of a way to affix this stuff to the inside of the front body panels.
-removed passenger pegs
-installed gas cap foam seal

-MADE BIKE UGLY OH THE HUMANITY THOSE BODY PANELS.

After wasting the day trying to find all white body plastic parts, I realized I can just vinyl wrap it far cheaper. Probably gonna do a white wrap of the second set of plastics soon. Or go full lisa frank and get those rainbow holographic vinyls.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Coydog posted:

rainbow holographic vinyls.

Oh my god

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I actually have something better in the works, but I can't say anything or I'll just procrastinate forever and never actually do it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Emailed Heidenau to find out why it said "DRY" on the side of these treaded tires I bought.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Started installing and making a soundcheck video for the Sprint's exhaust, but spent so long fixing this loving rusty muffler clamp that I didn't have time to figure out how to load the new map in. :mad:

PB blaster and heat didn't work, and that tool just broke while trying to back it out with an ez-out bit. Finally just drilled it most of the way out and had to pry the rest out with a screwdriver. But hey, I saved $8 plus shipping!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

New crash bars and new stainless steel front brake line.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Refreshed the seals in the rear brake caliper, and wired up switched power source from the rear light to a USB contact and the gps cradle. I also finally wired up the brake light feature of my rear led indicators.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I rode the elite today, in the middle of February in Wisconsin. 65 degrees. :feelsgood:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fork seals, oil, Steerer bearing service, oil change.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Spent the afternoon with a brillo pad rubbing the melted plastic off my muffler, and removing the Wings medalion. It came off really well, to my surprise. Then I installed the muffler slider that I should have in the first place. Looks good.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I washed it for the first time since I bought it in September. :v:

(And checked the tire pressure and realized I'm awful and probably should have checked the tire pressure a very long time ago. It's like getting new tires each time!)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My tail lights conked out at some point on the way back from Bristol last week. Just my luck, it wasn't the bulbs.

Got out the multimeter and it looks like the fault is somewhere in the main bus between the tail light plug and the ignition switch. Pulled the tank up to try and get at the ignition switch plug to narrow it down, turns out the bloody thing is buried under the airbox, so I can't do much without fully removing the tank, which I'm not equipped to do tonight.

Go to bolt the tank back down, stripped one of the loving bolts :cripes: So my bike went from inadvisable to ride in the dark, to unsafe to ride at all. FML.

It looks like there's 5mm or so of thread left in the bottom that the stock bolt couldn't reach; I'm going to get a longer bolt first off and try finger tightening it and praying that doesn't shred as well.

If it does, would I be better off re-tapping the hole (that's drilled directly into the frame next to the headstock) or going with some kind of expanding bolt thing?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

My tail lights conked out at some point on the way back from Bristol last week. Just my luck, it wasn't the bulbs.

Got out the multimeter and it looks like the fault is somewhere in the main bus between the tail light plug and the ignition switch. Pulled the tank up to try and get at the ignition switch plug to narrow it down, turns out the bloody thing is buried under the airbox, so I can't do much without fully removing the tank, which I'm not equipped to do tonight.

Go to bolt the tank back down, stripped one of the loving bolts :cripes: So my bike went from inadvisable to ride in the dark, to unsafe to ride at all. FML.

It looks like there's 5mm or so of thread left in the bottom that the stock bolt couldn't reach; I'm going to get a longer bolt first off and try finger tightening it and praying that doesn't shred as well.

If it does, would I be better off re-tapping the hole (that's drilled directly into the frame next to the headstock) or going with some kind of expanding bolt thing?

You could drill through it and run a bolt to the other side. I would do that as a last resort, but preferable to replacing the frame. Before that, why not try just first helicoil, second, retapping it for a slightly larger bolt?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Got the clutch side of the bike apart for my shifter repair/upgrade, only to find that I didn't order both of the springs I needed (the broken shaft return spring, which I didn't order, as well as the shift-star detent arm spring, which I do have). I could put it all back together, but I'd just be draining fresh oil and coolant again next week, and I'd still be dealing with having to manually reset the shifter to go up and down gears. I think I'm just going to go to the dealer today to see if they have the spring I need, 09444-20001 (pasted so I can find it again easily when I go to the dealer).

I did find the broken piece of spring in the bottom of the oilpan though, right next to the drain plug. Stick magnets are the greatest, I tell ya.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Got the clutch side of the bike apart for my shifter repair/upgrade, only to find that I didn't order both of the springs I needed (the broken shaft return spring, which I didn't order, as well as the shift-star detent arm spring, which I do have). I could put it all back together, but I'd just be draining fresh oil and coolant again next week, and I'd still be dealing with having to manually reset the shifter to go up and down gears. I think I'm just going to go to the dealer today to see if they have the spring I need, 09444-20001 (pasted so I can find it again easily when I go to the dealer).

I did find the broken piece of spring in the bottom of the oilpan though, right next to the drain plug. Stick magnets are the greatest, I tell ya.

New bits got in today. Spent 30 minutes scraping the old gasket off the sidecover.

Shifts so much nicer now. The action feels much more solid, almost heavy. Harder to find neutral now, but that's fine. I kinda wish Suzuki had the positive neutral setup my Ninja500 had, it was nice to be able to simply click into N at a light you knew was going to take a minute or two.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

New bits got in today. Spent 30 minutes scraping the old gasket off the sidecover.

Shifts so much nicer now. The action feels much more solid, almost heavy. Harder to find neutral now, but that's fine. I kinda wish Suzuki had the positive neutral setup my Ninja500 had, it was nice to be able to simply click into N at a light you knew was going to take a minute or two.

Clutch adjusted properly? Shifter linkage got no loose joints?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Clutch adjusted properly? Shifter linkage got no loose joints?

Linkage is solid. Clutch has about 5mm cable slack. I think I just needed to get used to the new detent spring and shift star, I'm not having issues clicking it in anymore.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Installed a 2016 enduro r gas cap assembly. Looks way more leak proof and completely redesigned. My lock is 1/2 inch longer than the new locks, so I'm gonna find a local machine shop to cut mine down and drill a new retaining pin hole.

Baby steps.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Changed the oil + filter and cleaned it up a bit so it's nice and shiny for the guy coming to see it tomorrow. Hopefully the FZ1 will have a new home soon!

Pulled the Multi into the other garage so I have more room to work on it tomorrow when I go to put the new driving lights, rad guard, and crash bars on it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fresh S21s

Rev2 throttle kit

Brembo MC rebuild

90% ready for the season

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Put me down as envious of your garage setup. I'm struggling to find apartments that have motorcycle-specific parking, and even worse, some places flat-out told me to not own a motorcycle and live there due to theft.

Also is the throttle thing a progressive cam setup? I was thinking of one of those as I've yet to meet an EFI bike that doesn't decide that a 1/1000th of an inch throttle movement means "full power".

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Do those of you with a secure community garage chain your bike to anything or use other anti-theft devices? I just recently moved to a place with a garage and am debating getting a big chain. I feel like it's secure enough, but have known people with bikes stolen out of this type of set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Just get comprehensive insurance