Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
$130 for ABS seems steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

surebet posted:

well yeah if you want the international kit and the cyrilics kit and the dvorak kit (plus everything else) it adds up to $500, but that's the same as any other drop

pretty sure you can entirely skip the base kit though, i think you'd be good ergo & cyrilics kits for that full :ussr: flavor. that'll knock you somewhere between $125 and $145, add novelties to taste after.

I wouldn't exactly say that. The DSA Miami Dolch is $91 for the same bare bones kit. The matt3o kit is $83 for the same set. GMK sets are demonstrably more expensive than other keycap group buys by a substantial amount.

betterinsodapop posted:

$130 for ABS seems steep.

Because it is

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
For something that can be made for about a nickel each, a dollar+ markup (per cap) is nuts.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Jack Forge posted:

For something that can be made for about a nickel each, a dollar+ markup (per cap) is nuts.

If you seriously think people are making consistent 20x or more returns on keycap group buys I have to ask why you aren't dedicating all of your time to getting into the industry.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
he probably doesn't speak chinese

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Hypersphered my Novatouch today, greatly changes the experience by quieting down the sound on key rebound.

Also, does anyone in this thread have a board built on a GoN NerD PCB with LEDs? If so, I have a question.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My wife is working from home right now and browns keep waking up the baby.

What am i looking for? Is this a Oneness With Cup Rubber situation?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

HEY NONG MAN posted:

My wife is working from home right now and browns keep waking up the baby.

What am i looking for? Is this a Oneness With Cup Rubber situation?

Topre is a good option, but there are also Matias Quiet Click switches that are worth looking into.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Maybe rubber rings on the keycaps to soften the bottoming out.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just submitted my payment for the first group buy I've ever done for a mech. Now to wait for the shipment in July. :negative:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Code with clears TKL flavor.

betterinsodapop posted:

Seconding this. Maybe consider replacing the stock keycaps w/ Vortex doubleshot PBT's at some future point.

I've ended up with a tkl code with mx clears. I can't believe it took me this long to get a real keyboard. I think i will need to get a wrist rest but I'll give it a chance before spending any more money.

Instead of buying a macro pad i ended up following these instructions and ended up with this.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just submitted my payment for the first group buy I've ever done for a mech. Now to wait for the shipment in July. :negative:

That's pretty early for Massdrop, some of them take 6 months or more.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Megalixir posted:

Well it's a Reddit group buy actually.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megalixir posted:

Mass drops on average take like a month....

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Okay, so I'm looking at a Corsair K95 Platinum deciding if I should get it or a K70 Lux

Opinions?

Edit:

Like how useful would those G keys on the far left of the K95 really be?

Edit 2:

Nvm, getting the K95

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 20, 2017

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
So I have a Ducky 1087XM and several of the keys are broken now because I dropped it while I was moving out of my apartment. I'm looking for replacement keycaps but can't find anything for the green ALPS switches it uses.

Does anyone know where I can get some replacement caps? I need a spacebar and a few letter keys.

Fleshwizard
Oct 23, 2010
I'm looking for my first mechanical keyboard and from a post a few pages back i found this https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-STRA...sair%2Brgb&th=1
for 87 bucks which is a good price range for me. I primary play Mobas but have general gaming needs too with some minor typing.

The Brown switches appeal to me for the tactile feel over the red because while in mobas you wanna be quick on the keys, i feel pressing the key at the right time tends to be more important and i worry the reds would be too light and a accidental key press could ruin a team fight.
Is that a good keyboard for a beginner and is my understanding that Brown are generally better for mobas correct?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ColHannibal posted:

Topre PBT spacebar
July 15, 2016 $20.74
Delivered on 10/13/2016

Hifi HE 350
May 26, 2016 $114.99
Delivered on 9/27/2016

Taihao PBT keycaps
Nov 1, 2015 1 $37.99
Delivered on 12/1/2015

Whitefox keyboard
Aug 7, 2016 1 $226.74
Delivered on 1/12/2017

GMK Plum
Feb 15, 2017 1 $130.24
Still waiting.

Pok3r RGB
May 15, 2017 1 $146.21
Still waiting, ships at the end of July.

I could go on, but... yeah, you get the point.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Putting Vortex caps on my CODE tonight (thanks teethgrinder). Anything I should know? Which keys have stabilisers, what type are they, and what's the best way to get them on and off?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I needed to use tweezers to transfer the stabilising plastic dick bits off the old set onto the new one.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

shifts/enter/backspace/spacebar and the 2U numpad keys have stabilisers.

I didn't find them to be much trouble. I'd usually first put the pegs into the key, then lift the metal loop attached to the keyboard, and then hook the pegs into the loop.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

ColHannibal posted:

Nope. Keyboard group buys on MD generally take several months.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I agree with you guys, normally takes ages. My Varmilo numpad exceptionally just shipped to me after less than three weeks from the buy date though. Wasn't promised until late July.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Sniped this last night off Y!JP.

55g uniform TKL Realforce in white, used. Even using a proxy this is a really good price, I never see them for sale in anything other than black these days. I had the black version a few months ago, but didn't like how it looked, I prefer something I can see in the half dark, and I managed to sell it off pretty easily. Also god it feels good when they don't use auto-extension/early close.

There's also a Realforce RGB for 20k with a palm rest that I saw close off and relist if anyone's interested: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s530168076

Also sold off my 30g Realforce and HHKB JP, which is a good thing because I still have a Tada68, and 2 Pok3rs on order.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

For my ~~serious computing~~I use a Pok3r (and previously a Choc Mini). But, I just got a computer-tv-media-thingie setup in my living room and needed a keyboard and mouse for it. Back in the day I had a fullsize bluetooth kb+mouse, but it was awful, took up a ton of space, always running out of batteries.

Anyway, snagged this for :20bux: on Amazon. It's incredibly great for a media-center-computer kb/mouse. It's a Rii i8+, just wanted to recommend it for this niche.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

Putting Vortex caps on my CODE tonight (thanks teethgrinder). Anything I should know? Which keys have stabilisers, what type are they, and what's the best way to get them on and off?

Thanks for the help guys, went off without a hitch. These caps are excellent. I wasn't expecting the key actuation to feel so different. I mean maybe it's just the fact that they're not shiny as gently caress like I'm used to, with a bit of placebo effect but they feel a lot more chunky and satisfying to type on compared to the stock caps. Feels even easier not to bottom out the clears, like there's just a touch more resistance. I'm probably imagining it.

chippy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 23, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That feeling could also be attributed to the caps settling onto the stems.

Enjoy your feeling.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The stock caps were spectacularly lovely in comparison. I don't think all ABS is that bad, but those particular painted caps were.

I know some CODE owners though that haven't had the paint-wearing-away problem that chippy and I had.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
They do seem pretty poo poo, side-by-side with some decent ones.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
To be fair though, it's taken probably 2 years of me coding on it 8 hours a day at work for the paint to properly start to wear through, although they were pretty shiny quite a long while before that.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Debating if I want to wait for Mechanical Keyboards to get the black Leopold FC980C back in stock for $260, or just order it off Amazon for $305 or ebay for $291...

Really interested in that modified Cherry 18xx layout, and this seems like a good opportunity to finally get a Topre board.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

Thanks for the help guys, went off without a hitch. These caps are excellent. I wasn't expecting the key actuation to feel so different. I mean maybe it's just the fact that they're not shiny as gently caress like I'm used to, with a bit of placebo effect but they feel a lot more chunky and satisfying to type on compared to the stock caps. Feels even easier not to bottom out the clears, like there's just a touch more resistance. I'm probably imagining it.

I've just noticed that the heights on some of these are somewhat uneven. Notably, the 5 in the number row seems distinctly taller than the keys either side of it. Anyone know why this might be? It seems like it's fully pressed down onto the stem. I don't want to use shitloads of force in case I break something.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

GokieKS posted:

Debating if I want to wait for Mechanical Keyboards to get the black Leopold FC980C back in stock for $260, or just order it off Amazon for $305 or ebay for $291...

Really interested in that modified Cherry 18xx layout, and this seems like a good opportunity to finally get a Topre board.

Do these use any padded silencing tech like the 660m? Is it just plastic behind or is there a steel backplate?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
After working on these Vortex caps for a few days, I don't know why all keyboards don't ship with them. Surely they can't cost that much to manufacturer? It seems like it would add a lot to the perceived value - I remember when I first got my CODE, I liked it, but also I was slightly underwhelmed. Decent caps would have helped a lot.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 26, 2017

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Pbt is more difficult to work with compared to abs. There is also a problem of larger pieces like space bars warping when they cool down. It's not worth the hassle for mass market since a lot of people don't really care ( niche in this niche basically).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've been having an intermittent issue with my WASD v1 (purchased late 2011). The W key sometimes doesn't register, and when pressed doesn't stay registered. Makes it very annoying to, say, walk forward in a video game. I'll have to press it multiple times to get it to register, then once it does it'll randomly just stop and I'll have to re-press it. Anyone heard of something like this? It's definitely a hardware issue, and just the one key (that I've noticed).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've been having an intermittent issue with my WASD v1 (purchased late 2011). The W key sometimes doesn't register, and when pressed doesn't stay registered. Makes it very annoying to, say, walk forward in a video game. I'll have to press it multiple times to get it to register, then once it does it'll randomly just stop and I'll have to re-press it. Anyone heard of something like this? It's definitely a hardware issue, and just the one key (that I've noticed).

It's almost certainly an issue with just that one switch. If you've done any electronics work the easiest way to fix it will be to desolder that switch, and then either replace it with the same kind of switch (I think wasdkeyboards sells single switches) or pop it open and clean it out with contact cleaner or whatever.
Here's a video of some guy replacing a switch (well he's doing a whole keyboard, but he does just the one to show the process at first):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4U75kF1Jw

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Rexxed posted:

It's almost certainly an issue with just that one switch. If you've done any electronics work the easiest way to fix it will be to desolder that switch, and then either replace it with the same kind of switch (I think wasdkeyboards sells single switches) or pop it open and clean it out with contact cleaner or whatever.
Here's a video of some guy replacing a switch (well he's doing a whole keyboard, but he does just the one to show the process at first):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4U75kF1Jw

Any idea whether WASD v1 use plate mounted or PCB switches? Plates are available on Amazon but I don't see PCB. I've never done any soldering but I have a buddy who could probably do it for me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Clanpot Shake posted:

Any idea whether WASD v1 use plate mounted or PCB switches? Plates are available on Amazon but I don't see PCB. I've never done any soldering but I have a buddy who could probably do it for me.

I think the WASDKeyboards are all plate mounted. To double check you can just pop off a keycap and see if there's a plate under there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
if you can't directly see the pcb under the keycap, it's plate mounted. if you're unsure, just get a pcb mount switch and cut off the two extra plastic prongs on the bottom if the pcb does not have those holes.

• Locked thread