Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the effort posts - just wanted to say I'm also vicariously enjoying your first time through.

But also this...

rndmnmbr posted:

I understand you're listening to the audiobook, but it's still bugging me.

Hathsin. Kandra. Sazed.

Elend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sab669 posted:

Also that was a good weekly chapter and I am very excited for next Tuesday, boys and girls. For those have been reading the weekly chapters, will you start fresh from the beginning or just jumping into where the serialization left off? The latter for myself; I'm too slow of a reader :v:

I'm going to start over from the beginning! For the seamless experience of binging the whole thing in one go. And I really want to revisit that hilarious chapter in the tavern with Jor's wedding.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

rndmnmbr posted:

I understand you're listening to the audiobook, but it's still bugging me.

Hathsin. Kandra. Sazed.

Ah! Thank you. I've avoided searching up any of the names since I got that Kelsier spoiler. I would have never guess that's how Sazed is spelt after how it is presented in the audiobook.

I think the only qualm I have with the audiobook is that the narrator Sazed's dialog with an accent mimicking something like a Tibetan Monk. While not completely inappropriate based on what his character is, it just feels slightly culturally problematic. Though I do love Dockson having something approaching an Irish accent. The narrator, Michael Kramer, is very good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Can't even comment on that list of assumptions and expectations except to say "hoo boy" again.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

It is done. What you have all been waiting for - I have finished Mistborn: The Final Empire. What a complete loving delight that was.

I've mentioned before that maybe it is just because I listened to the audiobook, but this novel felt incredibly cinematic. There's an... efficiency with the way Sanderson writes. It almost feels detail-lite compared to novels I'm used to (and I mean, to be fair, I haven't read many novels in the past decade). What I mean by "detail-lite" is that I never felt bogged down by scene descriptions. He would give you enough to picture the scene and then it was more about the action. And when I say "the action" in this context, I also mean the dialog.

One of my favorite books is Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. It's a beautiful book with an awesome mystery. But that book also spends at least 50% of the time talking about details. I remember there's like a ten page section in the paperback where he just describes a stained glass window. That's cool and all, but maybe just due to my ADHD, I don't often have the patience for that. I think it is why Perdido Street Station felt so impenetrable to leap into after a long break from books. I work in film and went to undergrad and grad school for it, and Sanderson's writing often makes me think of the pace and flow of screenwriting. Again, maybe it was just due to the audiobook nature of things, but the experience of going through this book felt more like a good TV series than a novel.

If you're interested in learning more about how Sanderson writes, you should check out his essays on Sanderson's Laws (https://www.brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/) and check out the lectures he posts on his YouTube channel (he's a lecturer at BYU for a creative writing class on sci-fi/fantasy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6HOdHEeosc).

I can't recommend it enough as a writer. The way he breaks down his thought process and frameworks is fabulous. For me as a reader, adds a whole new level of appreciation to what he's doing as I'm experiencing the books.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, Mordiceius, look up how Sanderson outlines stories before he writes them. It will definitely help you see how they end up feeling cinematic.

And you are in for a wild ride with the next two novels. You’ve made some good deductions and guesses based on the available information. Now go listen and find out (lafo).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The thing I like most about the novel is that everything feels like it's built to give the most satisfying moments possible in an action movie sort of way, if that makes sense.

I never think "drat, it would have been cooler if this character did <this> instead." because they're already doing the coolest dramatic poo poo at any moment.

I still think my favorite, most hype moment of the novel was the showdown with Shan. I was hootin. I was hollerin. It was escalated to be perfectly hype. I feel like Sanderson didn't miss any opportunities for poo poo to be cool.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

I still think my favorite, most hype moment of the novel was the showdown with Shan. I was hootin. I was hollerin. It was escalated to be perfectly hype. I feel like Sanderson didn't miss any opportunities for poo poo to be cool.

The Stormlight Archives is like that but even more so, so if that's where you're headed next ...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The Stormlight Archives is like that but even more so, so if that's where you're headed next ...

So I see people mention the Cosmere - that's like Sanderson's loosely connected universe, right? The Sanderverse? Obviously as an obsessive dork, I'm going to have to read everything.

Should I go in release order (in which case I already missed Elantris) or just series order? I was thinking of doing Mistborn 1-3, then going to Elantris, then Wax and Wayne, then Stormlight.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Your order is fine. Most people recommend throwing in Warbreaker anytime before Stormlight, but it's really not a big deal if you don't*.

You'll pick up on more easter eggs.

* Without saying a lot, this opinion is of growing discrepancy, but no way it's mandatory.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

So I see people mention the Cosmere - that's like Sanderson's loosely connected universe, right? The Sanderverse? Obviously as an obsessive dork, I'm going to have to read everything.

Should I go in release order (in which case I already missed Elantris) or just series order? I was thinking of doing Mistborn 1-3, then going to Elantris, then Wax and Wayne, then Stormlight.

There's a ton of intricacy in how everything is connected, though there's usually not a lot of immediate plot relevance. Mostly reading one series will alert you to how underlying things Really Work when you come across a similar thing in another series. As of Book 4 of Stormlight Archives we may be getting some crucial curtains pulled back, though. I have not been following the chapter pre-releases.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mordiceius posted:

From where you are, I would read in the following order.

Mistborn:
The Final Empire
The Lost Metal (Short Story from Kelsier's PoV pre- The Final Empire)
Well of Ascension
The Hero of Ages
Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania(Short Story)
The Alloy of Law
Shadows of Self
The Bands of Mourning
Secret History of Mistborn

Elantris (Shortish, and important.)
Warbreaker(Important to the cosmere)

Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Edgedancer
Oathbringer
Dawnshard
Rhythm of War

Add in Sixth of Dusk, and Emperor's Soul wherever. Both are short, but fantastically written.

Add in White Sand Graphic novels wherever as well. Maybe before Secret History of Mistborn though.

Someone tell me if I'm way off base.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sab669 posted:

* Without saying a lot, this opinion is of growing discrepancy, but no way it's mandatory.
I'm one of the people who think the "hard magic" rules Sanderson sets up are overwrought and not very compelling, so I'm not the main audience for this thread... I'm just here for Stormlight chat.

I read Stormlight as my first introduction to Sanderson, and I enjoyed it, but trying to read Mistborn was just not for me, as far as the step backward in writing quality. Most of the crossover easter eggs have been obvious enough that even if I don't know the specifics of what they were in the previous novels, it's clear that there's more to read and find out about them. So, as someone who's not going to read everything the man has ever written, read the stories you enjoy and won't worry about the stuff that you don't. If you're going to read a sub-series, obviously read it in published order, but don't worry about the order you read the separate sub-series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Warbreaker I'd put after mistborn 3. I think the time gap between mistborn serieses probably works better if you read different books in between.

Also it was based on a pun so that's always fun.

quote:

I had written Elantris and written Mistborn and they are both kind of dark and my editor said to me, I kid you not, "Your next book needs some color to it" and I said "Oh I'll do a color-based magic system then". And that's where it came from.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

So, as someone who's not going to read everything the man has ever written, read the stories you enjoy and won't worry about the stuff that you don't. If you're going to read a sub-series, obviously read it in published order, but don't worry about the order you read the separate sub-series.

yeah if someone really likes the mistborn books, i'd suggest they just jump straight to Stormlight, even though it's not technically the "right" order.

you can always pick up the side-works elsewhere and fill in gaps, but if you catch up with stormlight you can more or less start talking about the Main Stuff That's Going On much sooner and you will miss almost nothing going straight to it (in theory, you should read Warbreaker before you get to Oathbringer, but even that isn't that essential -- you could look at the relevant wiki and basically be good)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I plan on tackling all of these through audiobooks (at least for the ones that are available). From how I did with Mistborn, I figure I can churn through about 12 or so hours of audiobook per week. So the next two Mistborn books should take just over two weeks each. The Stormlight books seem much longer and will probably take me at least a month each. Either way, I'm pleased to have drat near a year of audiobooks ahead of me.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

From where you are, I would read in the following order.

Mistborn:
The Final Empire
The Lost Metal (Short Story from Kelsier's PoV pre- The Final Empire)
Well of Ascension
The Hero of Ages
Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania(Short Story)
The Alloy of Law
Shadows of Self
The Bands of Mourning
Secret History of Mistborn

Elantris (Shortish, and important.)
Emperor's Soul - arguably his best piece of writing and set in the same world as Elantris
Warbreaker(Important to the cosmere)

Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Edgedancer
Oathbringer
Dawnshard
Rhythm of War

Add in Sixth of Dusk and Emperor's Soul wherever. Both are short, but fantastically written.

Add in White Sand Graphic novels wherever as well. Maybe before Secret History of Mistborn though.

Fixed you goddamned philistine. I agree 6th can go anywhere, but you gotta palate-cleanse Elantris.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 10, 2020

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

Don't overly stress about reading order. I read Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, Warbreaker, then Mistborn followed by Elantris.

The biggest issue about reading out of release order is you'll notice the difference in writing quality a lot more. But if you're fascinated by the Sanderson constructs plot like me, then I can assure you it didn't bother me as much as it does others.

The Cosmere crossovers are Easter Egg like enough that up until Oathbringer it doesn't matter if you've read the others or not. Rhythm of War starts bringing more Cosmere level conflicts into the foreground hence the comments from early reviewers but Sanderson is hyper conscious about it and I trust that he'll include enough context for anyone who hasn't read anything other than Stormlight (only the most die hard of Cosmere geeks remember everything without reminders anyway). I think from the plan per the last State of Sanderson Dragonsteel is the only series that you'd wanna read after everything else since it deals with the Cosmere endgame.

Plus there's a lot of reread value in what Sanderson writes so you get a different experience rereading something after you pick up a different connection from somewhere else.

RC Cola posted:

You forgot to mention the essays in Arcanum Unbounded which includes a bunch of the various Cosmere stories in your post plus an extract from White Sand Prose and Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell!

Sanderson has 3 unpublished books widely available which are interesting to see from both a writer's perspective and Cosmere theorycrafting: Aether of Night (available on 17th Shard), the full version of White Sand Prose (on newsletter sign up) and Way of Kings Prime (on his website, released as part of the Kickstarter rewards for Dawnshard). A fourth unpublished work, Dragonsteel Prime, can be read if you happen to be able to get access to the BYU library (it was his masters thesis and has major Cosmere end game spoilers).

All of those are totally optional and the kind of thing you should read when you need a Sanderson fix but you've run out of published books.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Leng posted:

Sanderson has 3 unpublished books widely available which are interesting to see from both a writer's perspective and Cosmere theorycrafting: Aether of Night (available on 17th Shard), the full version of White Sand Prose (on newsletter sign up) and Way of Kings Prime (on his website, released as part of the Kickstarter rewards for Dawnshard). A fourth unpublished work, Dragonsteel Prime, can be read if you happen to be able to get access to the BYU library (it was his masters thesis and has major Cosmere end game spoilers).

All of those are totally optional and the kind of thing you should read when you need a Sanderson fix but you've run out of published books.
Also worth mentioning that you can read a lot of different versions of warbreaker, including the final cut sent to TOR for publishing by downloading the PDFs/word docs from his website.

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-rights-and-downloads/#versions

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Dawnshard spoilers:

I love that we got more info on the deal with the Peaks and everything. Excited to see how this shakes out.

Also the Lopen's third ideal had me howling, loving amazing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/dawnshard-is-out/

kindle and apple books have finally gotten it through review

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I liked Elantra’s but sort of forgets how it slots into the Cosmere overall. Can someone hook me up with where it slots in with what we know, minus Rhythm of War possible spoilers?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The only thing I remember whatsoever was, I think Way of Kings "spoiler", someone in an interlude at the Pure Lake said, "merciful Domi" but I'm probably missing other clues.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sab669 posted:

The only thing I remember whatsoever was, I think Way of Kings "spoiler", someone in an interlude at the Pure Lake said, "merciful Domi" but I'm probably missing other clues.

That’s right. Hard to keep it all straight.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Sab669 posted:

Oathbreaker: The lighthouse keeper in Shadesmar is generally regarded as an Elantrian and they pop up in another story: Mistborn: Secret History

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh I forgot about that in OB too. Don't think I know that second thing, though...

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I liked Elantra’s but sort of forgets how it slots into the Cosmere overall. Can someone hook me up with where it slots in with what we know, minus Rhythm of War possible spoilers?

In tWoK there's an interlude where some outsiders visit the Purelake looking for someone. One of the outsiders is Galladon.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Also as far as reading order, I think that Warbreaker could be between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer just for... reasons. Maybe between WoK and WoR. But thats just me.

E: For sure remembering things, I could see it at any point in Stormlight but actually probably after Way of Kings but before Words of Radiance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I think one of my favorite moments in the Stormlight books is the incident that I'll just describe as Wrestlemania (from an earlier book but I know we have new readers here).

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also as far as reading order, I think that Warbreaker could be between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer just for... reasons. Maybe between WoK and WoR. But thats just me.

E: For sure remembering things, I could see it at any point in Stormlight but actually probably after Way of Kings but before Words of Radiance.

Warbreaker has to take place before the present day Stormlight time period. Zahel has been on Roshar long enough that he trained Adolin, among others, on how to use shardblades and Adolin's had his for a while at the start of the first book, IIRC.

e: I'm real interested to see what would happen if Zahel or Susebron had been present in Oathbringer when Dalinar spoke his Third Ideal given their natures and that there was so much investiture flowing (which they can likely absorb directly like Breath) through the area that it was satiating Nightblood's investiture consumption among other things.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 11, 2020

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think one of my favorite moments in the Stormlight books is the incident that I'll just describe as Wrestlemania (from an earlier book but I know we have new readers here).

Warbreaker has to take place before the present day Stormlight time period. Zahel has been on Roshar long enough that he trained Adolin, among others, on how to use shardblades and Adolin's had his for a while at the start of the first book, IIRC.

Agreed with the wrestlemania thing

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: I'm real interested to see what would happen if Zahel or Susebron had been present in Oathbringer when Dalinar spoke his Third Ideal given their natures and that there was so much investiture flowing (which they can likely absorb directly like Breath) through the area that it was satiating Nightblood's investiture consumption among other things.

I just mean read it then since the Cosmere stuff in both of them. Not timeline wise

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

speaking of mistborn, saw this from the first ROW chapter

“Navani spotted the house steward—a white-bearded man with too many rings on his fingers—hovering in the stairwell to the palace proper. He was fidgeting with the rings on his left hand.”

then later

“The Vorin man wrung his hands, reminding Navani of the palace steward, though this man seemed much younger. Somewhere… in his twenties? Maybe his thirties? No, he could be older.”

so one of the people at Gavilar's meeting with the Heralds appears to be a Terrisman that reduces his age with an atium metalmind. that's uh that's something

(someone already asked about this and it was RAFOed but there's basically no reason he'd go out of his way to mention those rings and the age change, those are big worldhopper alarms

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 11, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just finished Dawnshard. While chronologically it’s Stormlight 3.5 it feels almost like because of how heavily Connected it is it would fit better in the reading order after Rhythm of War if not Stormlight 5. Similar to how Secret History is best enjoyed after Bands of Morning.

Dawnshard and major greater Cosmere: Hoid was only mentioned once, as far as I can tell, and only by his horn eater name. Which almost seems quaint since he is likely one of the most major players seeking the Dawnshard, although his goals might not reach the same level of danger as some of the other ones. I assume holding CHANGE as well as full access to Allomancy, Rosharan Lightweaving and Soulcasting, the Original Yolish Lightweaving, A few heightening from Nalthis, and who knows what else would magnify his power to a yet unimagined point.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

M_Gargantua posted:

Just finished Dawnshard. While chronologically it’s Stormlight 3.5 it feels almost like because of how heavily Connected it is it would fit better in the reading order after Rhythm of War if not Stormlight 5. Similar to how Secret History is best enjoyed after Bands of Morning.

Dawnshard and major greater Cosmere: Hoid was only mentioned once, as far as I can tell, and only by his horn eater name. Which almost seems quaint since he is likely one of the most major players seeking the Dawnshard, although his goals might not reach the same level of danger as some of the other ones. I assume holding CHANGE as well as full access to Allomancy, Rosharan Lightweaving and Soulcasting, the Original Yolish Lightweaving, A few heightening from Nalthis, and who knows what else would magnify his power to a yet unimagined point.

Dawnshard spoilers: I'm not sure that Hoid searches for a Dawnshard. Did you read the Dawnshard annotations that Brandon posted?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

M_Gargantua posted:

ALL BOOKS Spoiler + Sanderson Reddit Post Spoilers:

Brandon confirms Hoid was a/the Dawnshard at some point. He wasn't the Change Dawnshard that Rysn becomes but he was definitely was one (the one that prevents changing) and is why the way he is. A lot of the heightening, etc. seems to come directly from the Dawnshard investiture which we learn from Rysn.

Last ROW Spoiler Chapter:
Stonewards are in play! Also why do the Honor spren dislike Kaladin? That is crazy... Is it because he almost broke his oaths or something else? I also thought it was kind of nonchalant how they determined the envoy to the Honor spren, but that seems very human like to not pay much attention to something you don't think is that important. I think that is a HUGE mistake though and getting the spren on board should be priority #1

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sometimes I worry about Brandon:

https://twitter.com/CosmereNetwork/status/1325263208471552001

He has already begun writing? Of course, I don't really expect anything different, but... some people take breaks after writing a 1000+ pages book.

Exciting news of course. I'm one of the many who thinks that Emperor's Soul was his best written book, and I was glad that Dawnshard was (to me) quite similar in it's quality to Emperor's Soul.

Going back to Sixth of the Dusk will also be cool. Perhaps we will get more clues about the Ones Above.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 11, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You should know by now that his "taking a break" is by just writing something else :v:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Going back to Sixth of the Dusk will also be cool. Perhaps we will get more clues about the Ones Above.

He said in a reddit comment the sixth of dust sequel likely won't be any time soon because it would spoil too much space era cosmere stuff so yea that seems like a given.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I kinda forgot the emperors soul existed. Does that tie into the Cosmere or should I just assume everything does at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Emperors Soul takes place on the same planet as Elantris