Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Two weeks in India should be fine, tbh. You're not swamp trekking or working with livestock, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

peanut posted:

Two weeks in India should be fine, tbh. You're not swamp trekking or working with livestock, right?

Nah. Mostly city activities. I guess we'll see. I've got some time.

Next question. How many of you had similar pregnancy experiences to your own mother's? Is that any sort of indicator I can look toward for how this is going to go? Obviously every pregnancy is different, but my mom had several of them and never seemed bothered by the experience at all. I'm crossing my fingers that I somehow inherited this.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

a friendly penguin posted:

Pregnancy travel question! Sorry if this is a well trodden topic, I've only made it through 8 pages of the thread so far and if you know which pages, send me there and I'll read. I'll definitely be going through the thread since I just found out about 4 days ago (and my husband has already blabbed :rolleyes: )

As I said, just found out I'm pregnant and in a month and a half I'm scheduled to take a trip to Dehradun, India and I'll be there for two weeks. I hadn't yet gotten my vaccinations, so other than the usual ones, I don't have the shots for malaria, typhoid, hep c, etc. Add to that my GP telling me that no, don't go to India because Zika exists there. (She didn't actually say it to me, a nurse did supposedly after talking to her, over the phone, with no context what so ever, hadn't even had my blood test.)

Anyone have experience traveling while pregnant? I'll be around 10/11 weeks by then, in a part of the country that doesn't have malaria or the total of 3 cases of zika reported in the country. My husband (who is already there) doesn't seem too worried about it. He's an EMT and a pharm tech so does know a bit about medical related things.

Should I just cancel the trip or wait until I can actually have a conversation with an ob?

Go on the trip.

My wife and I did 10 days in Eastern Europe with a lot of walking involved while she was at like 25 weeks. Aside from a bit of morning sickness, everything was great. I guess there's no Zika in Eastern Europe... but 3 cases in a country of like over a billion people?? Have a much higher chance of dying in a car wreck on your way to the airport(probably)

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 18, 2017

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

a friendly penguin posted:

Next question. How many of you had similar pregnancy experiences to your own mother's? Is that any sort of indicator I can look toward for how this is going to go? Obviously every pregnancy is different, but my mom had several of them and never seemed bothered by the experience at all. I'm crossing my fingers that I somehow inherited this.

Not me. And our labors were totally different too.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My mom had five kids, all natural, all under five hours from q5m contrx to baby, none with broken waters until pushing, and said labor "really isn't bad."

I had fifty-plus hours of q5m or closer contrx, back labor, seventeen hours from broken waters to crowning, morphine/phenergan IM right after rupturing my membranes, fentanyl IV push during a 9cm stall that lasted three hours, an epidural at the end of the stall, and 3.5 hours of pushing ending with a 2° tear on my right labe. Soooo ymmv greatly.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Assume that you take after your father.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

If your periods are like your mother's, your body shape is like hers, and your first pregnancy occurred at about the same age as her first, your labors are more likely to be like hers than if those things aren't true, but I think that only applies to labor, and it's still only a "more likely".

elise the great posted:

seventeen hours from broken waters to crowning

The obstetrician I had during my first pregnancy was very alarmed that my water had broken in my sleep, and sternly informed me I wouldn't be allowed to go past twelve hours OR ELSE. My son was born before that, so I'd just been assuming the "or else" was "you get whisked off to the OR" but, honestly, "you have to experience an additional five hours of labor" seems like a respectable threat all by itself...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I fukken wish they hadn't let me go 12 hours past waters breaking.
PSA: Your water breaking is not an indication that baby is immediately coming into the world.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
My grandmother birthed seven children at home, no doctors. No issues either from what I hear.

My mother had a trickling amniotic leak with me from about 28 weeks on and I was born at somewhere around 38 weeks naturally, no drugs. My middle brother was an emergency c section for cord prolapse at 28 weeks and was born at a hospital with no dedicated NICU (but was successfully kept alive with no complications!). My youngest brother went to 42 weeks gestation and was an unmedicated VBAC, over 4kg. My mother smoked through the first two pregnancies and 'cut back' in her third. Five years between each pregnancy.

I went to 41+2, unmedicated birth of a 4.2kg baby, very minor tearing that probably didn't need the two stitches in the end. Probably 8-10 hours from the first sign of my waters before the first sensations started, and maybe 6 hours later kiddo was out. I don't smoke though :shrug:

The funny thing we did have in common is the low intervention approach in both hospitals- hers by dint of the fact that it was 30 years ago in a third world country, and mine from the best midwife we have in our facility. I'm looking into going with a private midwife next time around and birthing at home (we're in Australia).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Steve French posted:

Thanks, that's reassuring. I think my wife is doing fine with it now, and is recovering well and very cheerful, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on whether that continues. It was mostly very scary during the brief lead up to surgery, and to be honest she seemed to handle it better than I did, which I give her huge credit for.

It has also given me an unbelievable amount of appreciation for nurses and doctors beyond anything I've had before.

Hey Steve French, congrats and I'm glad everyone is healthy and OK! My wife also had to have a c-section that was unplanned but luckily not in a "has to happen right now!" kind of way, but it was still alarming and scary to have to suddenly make the decision to do it and have her bundled up and out the door and into the operating room while I waited outside.

Knowing an inordinate amount of people in health policy I've gotten to hear many times how much riskier carrying and delivering twins is so I'm glad things worked out for you and your family.

I'm just a random internet guy more or less but take care and good luck! It's tough and tiring (and I can't quite imagine how it is with twins) but there's a lot of fun and great stuff ahead of you too.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I think I ate something a couple of days ago that has not sat right with me. I'm not talking out of control diarrhea, but definitely an upset stomach.

Worth seeing a doctor about?

Edit: turned out okay, but will be watching what I eat more carefully. Had a listeriosis worry but I think it's all good.

femcastra fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 1, 2017

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Weird Mom thing number 348: When I flash my hungry daughter it makes her giggle :3:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My wife gave birth on Sunday, our newborn is a beautiful angel all day, sleeping and eating and sleeping some more.

Once it gets to around 5-6 pm though, she is a terror. I guess they call this the Witching Hour?

At least it only lasts... about three months?!?

Oh man. If anyone has any advice, I'll take it. I'm so sleepy right now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sleep when baby sleeps and expect it to change every week, then be cautiously delighted when babby finds a reasonable rhythm.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

If you can have a third adult be a night nurse you'll thank me. Or perhaps a postpartum doula? Someone who can hold the baby for 4-6 hours while you sleep. Otherwise side car a crib and don't leave bed for the next couple of weeks except for the essentials- that was one thing I wish dearly I'd done. Nothing is more important right now then you keeping fed and watered, sleeping whenever you feel like it and snuggling that baby.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Speaking as a new mom who's baby will be 4 months old tomorrow, it does get better, but also not. You'll get used to the crying somewhat, to the point where it doesn't drive you quite so batty. Once baby is a little older and not needing to eat every 2-3 hours you'll start getting slightly longer stretches of sleep. But to be honest I can count on one hand the number of days I've gotten 7 hours of sleep since he was born.

At the early stage what worked best for us was taking shifts. I needed to be able to skip one feeding to get at least a 5 hour stretch of sleep, so after 10 days of insanity I started pumping and letting my husband give him a bottle for the first one of the night. I'd go to bed immediately after feeding him (somewhere between 7-9), hubby would stay up and feed him 2-3 hours later, then come wake me up for the feeding 2-3 hours after that. He slept in the guest room for almost 2 months since baby was in our room, so that he wasn't up every time we got up. If pumping/bottle feeding isn't something you want to get into, then simply letting mom sleep/waking her to feed baby/taking baby out of the room right afterwards so she can sleep again would also work, even if it's during the day. The point is splitting your time so that someone can sleep while the other is on duty and then switching.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Speaking as a new mom who's baby will be 4 months old tomorrow, it does get better, but also not. You'll get used to the crying somewhat, to the point where it doesn't drive you quite so batty. Once baby is a little older and not needing to eat every 2-3 hours you'll start getting slightly longer stretches of sleep. But to be honest I can count on one hand the number of days I've gotten 7 hours of sleep since he was born.

At the early stage what worked best for us was taking shifts. I needed to be able to skip one feeding to get at least a 5 hour stretch of sleep, so after 10 days of insanity I started pumping and letting my husband give him a bottle for the first one of the night. I'd go to bed immediately after feeding him (somewhere between 7-9), hubby would stay up and feed him 2-3 hours later, then come wake me up for the feeding 2-3 hours after that. He slept in the guest room for almost 2 months since baby was in our room, so that he wasn't up every time we got up. If pumping/bottle feeding isn't something you want to get into, then simply letting mom sleep/waking her to feed baby/taking baby out of the room right afterwards so she can sleep again would also work, even if it's during the day. The point is splitting your time so that someone can sleep while the other is on duty and then switching.

4 MONTHS MUST MAKE SURE YOU KNOW about the 4 month sleep regression

A third of babies at that age start sleeping like poo poo for a while. Fair warning.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

silvergoose posted:

4 MONTHS MUST MAKE SURE YOU KNOW about the 4 month sleep regression

A third of babies at that age start sleeping like poo poo for a while. Fair warning.

Yes I'm very aware. It's (*fingers crossed*) so far not as bad as expected, but we've definitely had more wakeups in the past week than we had been. But the warning is much appreciated!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Yes I'm very aware. It's (*fingers crossed*) so far not as bad as expected, but we've definitely had more wakeups in the past week than we had been. But the warning is much appreciated!

:unsmith:

We told our friend "man he was sleeping so well and then around 4 months he started sleeping like poo poo and" and our friend said "Oh my god we didn't warn you about the 4 month sleep regression I'm so sorry".

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
A bit of a dilemma in our house. We’re renovating. When I say that though, I mean we’re getting professionals in to renovate.

Kitchen is done, bathroom still to do. I’m due Feb 23ish, they can only start Jan 23, and said that it’ll take a maximum of 6 weeks.

We plan on getting a portaloo and camping shower for the time things are unusable, and my bedroom can be closed off from the noise and dust.

Is this a terrible idea or something we can probably manage? This is my first bub so I’m completely out of my depth.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

femcastra posted:

A bit of a dilemma in our house. We’re renovating. When I say that though, I mean we’re getting professionals in to renovate.

Kitchen is done, bathroom still to do. I’m due Feb 23ish, they can only start Jan 23, and said that it’ll take a maximum of 6 weeks.

We plan on getting a portaloo and camping shower for the time things are unusable, and my bedroom can be closed off from the noise and dust.

Is this a terrible idea or something we can probably manage? This is my first bub so I’m completely out of my depth.

Even without considering the baby yet, I think it depends on how well you'll be able to sleep through construction noise, and how far away the portaloo is (alternate option, how comfortable you would be just using Depends). The first weeks postpartum you will be exhausted like you've never been exhausted before, and you'll be recovering on top of that. You'll want to sleep at all hours of the day when you're able to, and you'll probably have to go to the bathroom more than usual, plus it will be slow and somewhat uncomfortable to even make the trip to the bathroom, especially if you end up having a c-section to recover from. Even if you are usually a fantastic sleeper, if you're trying to grab some z's with baby in the same room as you, you're gonna be a light sleeper as "mom-hearing" seems to kick in upon birth. You'll probably wake up to every little noise baby makes, which might also make you more susceptible to any other noises. Plus there's all the hormones, mood swings, crying for no reason, frustration trying to figure out breastfeeding (hopefully it goes smoothly for you, but it doesn't always), etc etc.

I know for me, I would not be able to handle it (though if you'd asked me while I was still pregnant I might have said that I'd manage). But I've always been a very light sleeper to begin with.

The noise shouldn't bother the baby at all, they'll sleep through anything at that age. The dust... depends on how well you think you can keep the baby isolated from it, inhaling that stuff can't be good.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is staying with your parents or in-laws an option? Here, new moms often stay with their own parents for 1-2 months before and after giving birth.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
We just finished a five week bathroom remodel and I have a five month old. It was our guest bathroom, so it didn't impact my own bathroom usage except for my five year old running into the master suite at 5 am and turning the bathroom light on in my face. That said, it was not the most fun experience and I wouldn't want to be doing it with a newborn. There were random guys traipsing in and out of the house throughout the day, so I felt like I needed to keep a cover nearby whenever I was going to pump just in case someone was going to come in. The contractor wanted to talk with me at various times that weren't always convenient. The noise was pretty insane at times. I have an awesome video of my five month old (who is a third child) sleeping through a nail driver, but I certainly couldn't and that made me quite grumpy. Making decisions will be hard with postpartum hormones (at least, they would have been for me). I think stability is really what you want during that time period and home renovation does not lead to a stress free, stable existence.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
My wife is due right around Christmas and I wanna get her gifts together reasonably early before the weather / holidays / panic properly sets in. I'm usually pretty good at picking stuff she likes but if anyone has any tips for presents that might go over particularly well with a very new mum, I'm all ears. I know there's the whole 'push present' thing which I'll figure out but, thanks to timing, I wanna get her (and the baby!) a few different bits and pieces beyond jewellery / perfume.

Neither of us ever want or expect really practical gifts so I'm not gonna try to put a bow on a nappy subscription or something similarly dumb dad-ish.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Tenterhooks posted:

Neither of us ever want or expect really practical gifts so I'm not gonna try to put a bow on a nappy subscription or something similarly dumb dad-ish.

For the first few weeks she's not going to give a drat about anything but eating and sleeping, so while practical gifts might usually not be your thing, something like one of those easy meal subscription might be a good idea. Or super luxurious pillows/blankets might be a good mix of practical and fun.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

A post partum doula/night nurse support for the first four weeks, a cleaner and catering, all make pretty much the best possible early puerperium gifts imo. And if you think 'practical' gifts like that aren't worthwhile you're frankly out of your mind. Don't waste your money on goofy poo poo, either get keepsake stuff (newborn photoshoot? Hand/feet prints) or the former I mentioned. You don't get those days back. They only happen once. Spend them doing chores at your peril.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thai foot massage and/or meals.
I found that while I could get people to buy/do things for me while I stayed at home w babby, what I really wanted was a chance to go out alone and do errands and eat lunch without a huge babby bag or a strict time limit.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Thanks all for the input on the renovations. Not what I wanted to hear, but definitely what I needed to hear.

I have a bad habit of piling too many things on and then struggling, and definitely don’t want to do this with a newborn when I’ll already be wiped out.

No matter what we do, it won’t be ideal, but I think a renovation with a slightly older baby and a mum not raw from childbirth is a better bet.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

femcastra posted:

Thanks all for the input on the renovations. Not what I wanted to hear, but definitely what I needed to hear.

I have a bad habit of piling too many things on and then struggling, and definitely don’t want to do this with a newborn when I’ll already be wiped out.

No matter what we do, it won’t be ideal, but I think a renovation with a slightly older baby and a mum not raw from childbirth is a better bet.

I had house renovations run over giving birth (whoops) - kitchen, master bedroom, and bathroom. It would have been wholely impossible for us to be back in the house. Luckily we had a place to stay. I was in and out of the bathroom a ton. A dirty construction bathroom on top of it would have been miserable.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

femcastra posted:

We are going to be in this boat (renovations to our apartment at the same time as yours, but our baby will be around 9 months then).

I don't know what the baby's gonna be like in another 4 months but we have decided we are not going to be trying to live in the place through the renovation. Daily life as a new parent is already pretty hard pre-renovation, I don't think I want to deal with trying to live through a renovation at the same time, no matter how straight forward.

Examples of things that happened post-baby:
- baby stuff (bouncers, cribs, strollers, playmats, toys) became trip hazards everywhere
- keeping the floor clean enough for baby to play on (because the best play for their development is on the floor) is impossible; we have settled on just keeping her floor mat clean and to hell with the rest of the apartment (we only manage the energy to vacuum once every...few weeks)
- baby gets bored by being in the same place and wants to move around to different parts of the apartment all the time
- our baby hated baths for a long time and it made bath time an ordeal. Now, she loves bath time, but requires one of us to get in with her, ducky and her bath book. If your baby turns out to hate bath time, it's going to be hard to wrangle a wriggly baby in a camping shower

I'm sure I'm leaving a million other things off that list. You didn't mention whether/when you/your partner are going back to work? That was a big adjustment that has taken us a while to get to a point where things are working smoothly as well.

Anyway, re-evaluate once you've had the baby, see what your baby is like and how you all feel. But making some contingency plans to not be there (rent short-term accommodation, stay with relatives/friends, go on a babymoon/vacation) would not go amiss.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Cheers for the advice, I really appreciate it.

While the bathroom is unusable, we’re considering short-term accommodation in an Airbnb. Unfortunately we’ve got no relatives in easy driving distance we can stay with, closest is 3 and a half hours away.

Partner will be back at work not long after baby is born, but I’ll have close to a year off work, so things will be a bit easier hopefully.

Feeling a bit more clear-headed about it all. Seeing the midwife on Friday too so will see what she has to say about it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I guess posting in this thread here now!

My wife and I have been trying to get pregnant for a year and a half now. She got pregnant in January and it’s ectopic. She was given a couple of doses of methotrexate and all good but was obviously a little stressful. No lasting damage the doctors said.

Anyway she’s pregnant now which is great and the doctors are super all over it due to the ectopic. Her last period was September 29 so by our count she should be 7-8 weeks however she had a really long cycle the month before so who knows. We’ve also been in touch because she’s had light spotting for two weeks straight now which they can’t figure out why but seem unphased by. They took her in yesterday for a early internal ultrasound to check for ectopic which they ruled out but also they couldn’t find the baby either. They’ve said don’t stress it’s often a case of what they can’t find but then her bloods came back and her HCG level last week had gone from 99 to 250 to 500 every 48 hours but had only gone to 850 in 4 days from there.

Anyway roundabout way to say are we focusing too much on hcg levels? We were getting excited this week as it was further than the ectopic had gotten and the one two punch of they couldn’t find it (even though they assured us before and after they might not) and the hcg combined with the bleeding has really taken the sail out our winds on it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

It could be nothing or it could be something. It's really hard to say with early pregnancy- which is super stressful, especially with a scary history like she has. I wish I could be more help, but it's one of those only time will tell scenarios.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

teacup posted:

My wife and I have been trying to get pregnant for a year and a half now. She got pregnant in January and it’s ectopic. She was given a couple of doses of methotrexate and all good but was obviously a little stressful. No lasting damage the doctors said.

Anyway she’s pregnant now which is great and the doctors are super all over it due to the ectopic. Her last period was September 29 so by our count she should be 7-8 weeks however she had a really long cycle the month before so who knows. We’ve also been in touch because she’s had light spotting for two weeks straight now which they can’t figure out why but seem unphased by. They took her in yesterday for a early internal ultrasound to check for ectopic which they ruled out but also they couldn’t find the baby either. They’ve said don’t stress it’s often a case of what they can’t find but then her bloods came back and her HCG level last week had gone from 99 to 250 to 500 every 48 hours but had only gone to 850 in 4 days from there.

Anyway roundabout way to say are we focusing too much on hcg levels? We were getting excited this week as it was further than the ectopic had gotten and the one two punch of they couldn’t find it (even though they assured us before and after they might not) and the hcg combined with the bleeding has really taken the sail out our winds on it.

I'm sorry you've gone through such a rough time trying to get pregnant and with the ectopic. If her hCG is below 1500 or so, a pregnancy in the uterus won't usually show up, so please don't get downhearted about that. The value of an individual hCG is much less important than how it is changing. We expect hCG levels to go up by at least 50% every 48 hours in a normal pregnancy in the uterus (which the 99 to 250 to 500 follow). I'm not sure why they checked it after establishing the normal rise, but 850 is lower than I'd expect 4 days after 500. That being said, I have had patients with an "abnormal rise" who went on to have normal pregnancies. She should be getting another ultrasound (and potentially a blood draw) soon which should help shed some light on the situation. Be sure to watch out for danger signs for an ectopic (sudden, severe abdominal pain, dizziness/lightheadedness, etc).

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I looked through the OP and the last few pages, but am looking for a couple of good resources of what to expect from Pregnancy. My wife is pregnant (not a surprise because we did IVF after 2 years of no luck) and I want to not be a moron on her pregnancy related issues as we move forward. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

I looked through the OP and the last few pages, but am looking for a couple of good resources of what to expect from Pregnancy. My wife is pregnant (not a surprise because we did IVF after 2 years of no luck) and I want to not be a moron on her pregnancy related issues as we move forward. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The books 'The Expectant Father' and 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' are both good resources.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Spadoink posted:

The books 'The Expectant Father' and 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' are both good resources.

The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Spadoink posted:

The latter isn't great. Definitely seconding mayo clinic though.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
I think The Expectant Father might be the one I got my husband. He stopped reading when the guy suggested that you demand to see your wife’s cervix during a prenatal pelvic exam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

teacup posted:

Just as an update, we went in for a follow up hcg test and they plummeted down and then later that day my wife had bleeding like a period again. Frustrating, in the same year an ectopic and a miscarriage.

How long are we meant to wait before trying again? How long until she would generally ovulate anyway? I see a lot of places saying wait until a cycle later?