Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I love Gulden's spicy brown mustard. Are there any other mustards I should look for with similar flavors? Any recipes I could use to go about making my own mustard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Heinz Spicy Brown is objectively the best spicy brown. Why it is not sold outside of the Pittsburgh area is a complete loving mystery.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Tamarind.
It is not readily-available anywhere near me. I can order it from a wholesaler at work ands the options are:

(brand / description)
CTF / Tamarind concentrate
TAMICON / Tamarind concentrate
WANGDERM / Tamarind pulp concentrate
SOMBOON / Tamarind seedless pulp

What should I get? I'll probably just be using it for an occasional Thai-style sauce. They aren't expensive, so I guess I could get a couple of them, if they were for different uses, but I'd rather not just buy all of them and experiment.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I love Gulden's spicy brown mustard. Are there any other mustards I should look for with similar flavors? Any recipes I could use to go about making my own mustard?

Tobasco made a coarse mustard I really liked, but it was only at the supermarket one time, so it might have just been a test marketing or something. People seem to like the Plochman's spicy brown; it has a weird name that sounds Japanese. I'm not that picky; I buy some cheap stuff called Woeber's and love it.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 8, 2013

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'm looking at tamale recipes and I see while most of them just use masa a few also use fresh corn. Can someone explain to me what difference, if any, this would make?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Slifter posted:

I'm looking at tamale recipes and I see while most of them just use masa a few also use fresh corn. Can someone explain to me what difference, if any, this would make?

I expect the fresh ones would be better, but fresh corn isn't in season on any part of the planet right now so use masa? Also if you wait for corn season, I think you need what americans call "field" corn - not sweet corn. It's, as you might guess, less sweet, more starch.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Wait wait, are you talking about making tamales using whole corn instead of masa? That's not how tamales work...

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Good call on the different types of corn, I had completely forgotten about that. This is roughly the recipe that I'd use, because of the lack of fresh corn I'd use frozen and if I could find some decent lard I'd replace the butter. I'm guessing that the two cups of masa and egg will make up for the lack of starch in the raw corn.

6 ears of corn (app 6 cups kernels)
2 cups harina de maiz
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz unsalted butter (softened)
1 egg

The last time I made tamales I had trouble where I packed them in the steamer and the didn't seem to get cooked all the way through. Should I have just kept cooking them longer, should I have spready them apart a bit, or is there some other third thing I should have done?

On that subject is it even possible to over steam tamales?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Very Strange Things posted:

SOMBOON / Tamarind seedless pulp
It will last a while in the fridge, and will taste the closest to real tamarind out of any of them.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Grand Fromage posted:

Turkey stock is nice, don't throw out any scraps. I always grabbed the carcass at Thanksgiving for a couple weeks of turkey soup. :getin:

Oh, stock from the carcass is a given. So legs and wings are for the smoker, wings for the soup pot then straight up eat the legs? Eat some, rillettes the rest? Any suggestion for the thighs from anyone? Thinking braise then tacos--they likely have too much connective tissue for grilling, I assume

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
How long can I keep (opened) miso paste before it goes bad in the fridge?
edit: The rest of the internet says it will last a very long time.

Angstronaut fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 9, 2013

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Can someone give me a quick and dirty idea of how to make some flavored oils at home? I have garlic and peppercorns on hand and olive oil and veggie oil.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Angstronaut posted:

I have a year old miso and it's still fine. Just make sure it's in something airtight so it doesn't dry out.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had a delicious side at an Indian restaurant called "Dal Dhungaree" this weekend which was described as: Smoked lentils / garlic / tomatoes / fenugreek. I am having dreams about this dish, but all of dino's recipes I can find don't look like they build out to the same thing. Does anyone have any pointers? The consistency was like if you made lentils, reserved a third, and blended them. Kind of like smashed-up lentils, but everything was very moist.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Angstronaut posted:

Basically forever as long as it's in something sealed. I've had a bag in a ziploc in a cold part of the fridge for at least eight months and it's exactly the same as the day it was opened.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Have a big tub of miso going on two years.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Knockknees posted:

I got some fresh picked morels for FREE! The basket had been super picked over, with all the ones of size already gone, and there were just a couple handful of tiny ones left in the basket. When I went to check out, the grocer told me that she was glad I appreciated how special they were, even if it was just the last ones, and that I could have them for free since she needed to clear out that area anyway.

But I've never cooked them before! I think you are supposed to cut them in half to rise the dirt out of them? Whats the best, simplest single person dish I can make with these two small handfuls? I was thinking of sauteeing them with garlic, and serving them on with caramelized onions on top of some pasta and olive oil. Does that seem reasonable? Should I add some basil or rosemary or pepper or something? Is there something else I should do? I want to make sure I really want to appreciate them....

I went with my gut and stopped worrying and just cooked and it was incredible!

I did them up with a little onion, garlic, chopped spinach, fresh thyme, and a tiny bit of chevre on angel hair

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Iron Lung posted:

Just opened up a vac-pack of chicken from Whole Foods, smelled very slightly of sulfur even after a rinse but it says use or freeze by 3/4/13. Not too bad, just enough to notice so I'm right on the edge of feeling ok with it. Toss or is it fine and just because it was sitting in its own juices for awhile? Usually buy fresh from them so this is a new one for me!

Edit: disregard, found some stuff online about this smell and the consensus is to toss (SALMONELLA). Going to do that and take the rest back for a refund in a day or two.

Sorry to bring this up again - but this just happened to me again with a different brand of chicken (this time breasts, not thighs) even. The smell is very slight, it doesn't bowl you over when you open the pack, but if you get in there you can smell it, even after a rinse. I'm cooking it to see if it goes away, and I called the butcher at Whole Foods who said not to worry about it since the packaging was tight and the sell by date is 4/19/2013. Is a very slight sulfur smell normal for cryopacked chicken/meat? Finding mixed information online, some say its death, some say its just the cryopackaging! What would GWS do?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes, vacuum packed meat often has a bit of a smell when you open the bag. Take it out and rinse it off, let it sit a few minutes, if it still smells bad toss it.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
So I tried to make pumpkin bread for the first time and hosed it up. It's burnt on the edges and undercooked inside. What's the best way to salvage!? Toast it in slices in the toaster oven? I can't do anything right now because its nearly 1am and I have to be up in 5 hours. Halp :( it smells so good I want to eat it!!

Miranda fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 9, 2013

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
It's really really obvious when chicken goes bad. If you can't tell, it's probably okay.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Since it's not the real thing I don't want to pollute the Chinese thread, but has anyone ever made egg roll wrappers before? Or egg rolls in general? My Chinese friend wants to try Americanized Chinese food and I feel like it's just not complete without an egg roll, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Slifter posted:

The last time I made tamales I had trouble where I packed them in the steamer and the didn't seem to get cooked all the way through. Should I have just kept cooking them longer, should I have spready them apart a bit, or is there some other third thing I should have done?

On that subject is it even possible to over steam tamales?

Yeah, it sounds like you crowded the steamer too much. They can touch, but you can't jam 'em together. The steam has to touch the food to cook it. Or you just didn't steam 'em long enough. Hard to say from here.

Oversteam? I'm sure it's possible. So much fat in that dough...I'm not sure I'd know when it had occurred.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wait wait, are you talking about making tamales using whole corn instead of masa? That's not how tamales work...

Normally I'd defer to the wiggleman but rick bayless and pretty much the rest of the internet disagree.

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=79
https://www.google.com/search?q=fresh+corn+tamale

I mean, it makes sense to me that you could just use the fresh corn at harvest, and use masa the rest of the year.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 9, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So there's all sorts of articles about that upcoming cicada brood and I read something about eating them. Anyone here crazy enough to have tried them before??

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

pr0k posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you crowded the steamer too much. They can touch, but you can't jam 'em together. The steam has to touch the food to cook it. Or you just didn't steam 'em long enough. Hard to say from here.

Oversteam? I'm sure it's possible. So much fat in that dough...I'm not sure I'd know when it had occurred.

Normally I'd defer to the wiggleman but rick bayless and pretty much the rest of the internet disagree.

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=79
https://www.google.com/search?q=fresh+corn+tamale

I mean, it makes sense to me that you could just use the fresh corn at harvest, and use masa the rest of the year.

Both of your links refer to the use of masa. That's like, what a tamale is: masa steamed inside a leaf of some kind. You can have fresh corn in that, and it's pretty good (I make them in the summer), but there's still masa.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So there's all sorts of articles about that upcoming cicada brood and I read something about eating them. Anyone here crazy enough to have tried them before??

Not yet, but I'm considering getting ice cream gear in anticipation of it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/07/cicada-ice-cream_n_872704.html#s288827&title=Cicada_Ice_Cream

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Who here has an electric range and oven?
In said oven, who here lifts that bottom coil and lines the bottom with heavy duty aluminum foil?

Should I be doing this?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

I see that there. posted:

In said oven, who here lifts that bottom coil and lines the bottom with heavy duty aluminum foil?

Should I be doing this?

It's not really a great idea. A properly made oven is engineered to keep reflecting heat back at the food evenly, a lining of foil can mess with that. There's also a small, but non-zero, chance of heat damaging your oven.

It's better to just keep a drip guard on the rack and under the dish if you're cooking something messy, and clean regularly so gunk doesn't have a chance to get permanent.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

I see that there. posted:

Should I be doing this?

I don't know about 'should' but we've been doing this ever since something managed to spill down there and catch fire. Rather than risk buildup of crud down there again we've just been keeping foil which can be easily thrown away if necessary. The coils did burn/cut through the foil right underneath though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I have that type of electric oven, but I avoid fires by cleaning it regularly.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I have a largish pizza stone I keep on the bottom rack which keeps anything from landing on the element.

This raises a safety question I have about roasting chickens. In order to get a good crispy skin I roast chickens uncovered in a 13-14" cast iron pan. A little oil tends to splatter out of the pan.

Is there any real risk of a splatter catching fire and igniting the fatty water in the pan? Should I be doing anything differently?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have that type of electric oven, but I avoid fires by cleaning it regularly.

Yeah, I wasn't the one who put the foil or made the mess (it caught fire within 10 minutes of spilling). I argued against it but it's been working so I can't disparage it. A bit of a placebo perhaps.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Any recommendations for what to do with thin cut steak? It was on sale so I bought in on a whim.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What cut of meat? If it's NY strip or ribeye sear it in a cast iron pan as hot as you can get it for 30s a side. Do that straight out of the fridge.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Bottom round. Does that make a difference?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Normally that's more of a braising cut because it's kind of tough. The good news is being thin won't ruin its ability to be braised.

I don't think I'd sear it off quickly and eat it. You want to make things like beef stew or pot roast.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Dang, I already thawed it out and I don't have any broth to braise it with. I do have some red wine though--would some sort of a mushroom-wine sauce work?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Ron Don Volante posted:

Dang, I already thawed it out and I don't have any broth to braise it with. I do have some red wine though--would some sort of a mushroom-wine sauce work?

You could simmer it in wine (sear it first) and then add the mushrooms later, so they don't get overcooked.

You could also slice it thin and pan fry it over high heat with some cumin / chile powder and eat it in taco form.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ron Don Volante posted:

That should work. Low and slow to break down connective tissue, or grind it into hamburger meat / chop it real fine for tacos.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tendales posted:

It's not really a great idea. A properly made oven is engineered to keep reflecting heat back at the food evenly, a lining of foil can mess with that. There's also a small, but non-zero, chance of heat damaging your oven.

It's better to just keep a drip guard on the rack and under the dish if you're cooking something messy, and clean regularly so gunk doesn't have a chance to get permanent.

If I've got a drip guard on the rack under the dish, can you explain in what way that doesn't affect heat reflection as much as, if not more so than putting foil under the coil at the bottom?