Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Is the general consensus that any OLED tv is going to be better than QLED, U4K etc?

Considering this: Toshiba OLED 55"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Youll find that QLED is, in fact, better than OLED. 2 better to be exact.

Reapost: QLED is just a marketing brand made up by Samsung to sow the exact confusion seen in this post. OLED is a superior technology. And 4K/UHD (different names, same thing) are a resolution and media format.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Aha, thanks for the heads up, it really is a minefield buying a TV these days!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Owner consensus on avforum is that its fine. Its a Vestel tv built around an LG panel.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm doing the typical "fretting about burn in" thing new OLED buyers do after realising how often I just leave the tv on. And it's usually CNN with their never ending breaking news notification. :(

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Make sure your OLED backlight it set under 50 and more importantly stop watching CNN for multiple hours a day.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

American McGay posted:

Make sure your OLED backlight it set under 50 and more importantly stop watching CNN for multiple hours a day.

The latter is for your mental health.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Visio 65" M Series for $600 at Costco

For Costco members only, a pretty good value 4k TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This 10 year old plasma looks pretty good for a free tv. But it's 64 pounds and I don't want to put that on our IKEA dressers so I need a wall mount for this beast.

This has 26K review and 90% of them are 4/5, this should do the job yes?

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-ML...ps%2C157&sr=8-3

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm doing the typical "fretting about burn in" thing new OLED buyers do after realising how often I just leave the tv on. And it's usually CNN with their never ending breaking news notification. :(

I connect my laptop to my tv whenever it's on the vast majority of the time so when I get my oled I'm mostly worried about the task bar burning in

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

beep by grandpa posted:

I connect my laptop to my tv whenever it's on the vast majority of the time so when I get my oled I'm mostly worried about the task bar burning in

Why don't you just extend the screen instead of mirroring it?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just shut the laptop and use a wireless mouse/keyboard

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Rhyno posted:

This 10 year old plasma looks pretty good for a free tv. But it's 64 pounds and I don't want to put that on our IKEA dressers so I need a wall mount for this beast.

This has 26K review and 90% of them are 4/5, this should do the job yes?

As long as the bolt pattern is right, yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it looks to be correct.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

beep by grandpa posted:

Auto hide taskbar?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't recommend using an OLED TV as a desktop display no matter how many preventative measures you take.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dogen posted:

Owner consensus on avforum is that it’s fine. It’s a Vestel tv built around an LG panel.

Thanks! It's between this and the LG B8 55" OLED, only £200 more expensive.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

At least you know the panels good. Apps and scaling/motion handling might not be as good, but for 200 pound, eh

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Theres a 65" LG SK8000 on open box at best buy that's $400 off ($615 total) that's listed as satisfactory (missing the box and remote is all I can tell). Worth it?

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 4, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The last time it was brought up:

Number_6 posted:

I don't have it, but based on everything I've read, it has poor black levels and poor local dimming. (And is not very bright). About all it has going for it, is a decent viewing angle (since it's an IPS panel). Unless you need the viewing angle, almost anything else would be better. Below is a detailed review.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sk8000

Also satisfactory sounds like it might be pretty low down the scale of condition, so might be more issues than no remote.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

EL BROMANCE posted:

The last time it was brought up:

Also ‘satisfactory’ sounds like it might be pretty low down the scale of condition, so might be more issues than no remote.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't the best of that range of TVs. It looks like it was a return. It would come with a 1 year warranty. I would probably come out even if I drove down to Portland and bought a TCL 6 series instead. I'll pass on it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65S425 $598 shipped from Walmart

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Im guessing I already know the answer, but are wall mount anchors reusable or are they meant for one-time installation? Im asking because my wife and I bought a house which came with a wall mount installed.

The previous owners had a smaller TV mounted to it, and when they left they didnt leave any documentation behind. The mount has no branding info, so from looking at pictures online, it could be a Peerless or a cheap Chinese knock off from aliexpress...

The TCL manual says use one rated for 5x the TV weight but I dont know what the mounts limit is, so...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are you even able to buy the TV side mount separately anyway? It just seems easier to just replace it with a whole new set rather than trying to work out which exact one it was, just to buy the set and discard half of it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Oh sorry, I should have been clearer. I have the whole mount system - I just have no idea who made it, what size range its for, its weight limit, etc.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Im guessing I already know the answer, but are wall mount anchors reusable or are they meant for one-time installation? Im asking because my wife and I bought a house which came with a wall mount installed.

The previous owners had a smaller TV mounted to it, and when they left they didnt leave any documentation behind. The mount has no branding info, so from looking at pictures online, it could be a Peerless or a cheap Chinese knock off from aliexpress...

The TCL manual says use one rated for 5x the TV weight but I dont know what the mounts limit is, so...

Hang from it (your body weight, like hang or try to do a chin up). If you can hang from it and its solid, then its safe for your TV.

Older TVs were heavier than new ones (generally) and older mounts were usually pretty well made. Relatively speaking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SourKraut posted:

Oh sorry, I should have been clearer. I have the whole mount system - I just have no idea who made it, what size range its for, its weight limit, etc.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah its amazing how much lighter TVs are now than they used to be so its most likely fine. Id like to think itd feel obvious if its too much strain, maybe someone here has been on the wrong side of it all and might be able to advise better.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

SourKraut posted:

TCL says 5X the TV weight? That's interesting. Seems like some serious CYA stuff from them. I spec mounts as part of my job and I always try to leave some wiggle room, but 5X is pretty hilarious to me. I'd have to find a mount rated for 800lbs whenever I want to do a 90" TV I guess...

Since you said TCL, I'm going to assume you have a fairly recent 55" or 65", which top out at 50lbs. Literally the cheapest mount I can find ($10 Harbor Freight pull-out mount) is rated for 60+lbs, so I suspect there's probably not a mount that exists that's not rated to hold your TCL. I'd be more concerned about confirming if the old mount hit the studs etc.

That said, I can understand exercising caution, especially if you have kids.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Never reuse wall anchors.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hang from it (your body weight, like hang or try to do a chin up). If you can hang from it and its solid, then its safe for your TV.

Older TVs were heavier than new ones (generally) and older mounts were usually pretty well made. Relatively speaking.

Im 200 lbs and was able to hang from it briefly, though I started to hear some noise and stopped quickly.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

TCL says 5X the TV weight? That's interesting. Seems like some serious CYA stuff from them. I spec mounts as part of my job and I always try to leave some wiggle room, but 5X is pretty hilarious to me. I'd have to find a mount rated for 800lbs whenever I want to do a 90" TV I guess...

Since you said TCL, I'm going to assume you have a fairly recent 55" or 65", which top out at 50lbs. Literally the cheapest mount I can find ($10 Harbor Freight pull-out mount) is rated for 60+lbs, so I suspect there's probably not a mount that exists that's not rated to hold your TCL. I'd be more concerned about confirming if the old mount hit the studs etc.

That said, I can understand exercising caution, especially if you have kids.

Yeah, its a TCL 55R617 (from the special a few pages back), and the manual has a line that the wall mount has to be able to bear minimum five times the units net weight to avoid doing damage. But I looked online at some of the reputable wall mount manufacturers and the highest common load limit I saw was 165 lb, for a mount that goes up to 90 TVs...

Heres some pictures of the current mount for reference:

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'd think nothing of reusing that as long as those screws are into studs.

Lowest prices ever on the 75" TCL 6 series today. Best Buy $1299, Amazon $1399 but 15% cash back with a Prime card = $1189.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Really happy with my LG B8, seems like a noticeable upgrade over even my broken Samsung KS8000. Though the thickness makes me worried about breaking it too if I ever have to move it.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

My LG C7P is still kicking rear end. No regrets on the OLED purchase. I think we use it something like 14 hours a week, and it looks as great as the day we bought it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My best buy had the 2018 Sony OLED 55" for $999 Open Box the other day. Then I realized a store display OLED is probably not the wisest open box investment.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hell, if it's got warranty I'd roll the dice on it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The TCL 55" 6-Series is currently $499 on Amazon, which is apparently a really low price for it? If anyone's interested.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55R617-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079N9HDNQ

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Motherfuckers. Not even a month after I buy one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Motherfuckers. Not even a month after I buy one.

Always seems to happen.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The TCL 6-series went on sale a couple of times in the last month so I imagine it'll happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 49S515 $270 shipped

LG 55" C7C $999 shipped - today only

TCL 65S421 $478 shipped