Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Another article has been posted by Vanity Fair and it reveals a lot more info.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/10-burning-questions-about-amazons-the-rings-of-power

Thanks for posting this. Lots more detail than I expected at this stage. They are at least saying a lot of the right things, although the "we're making up a lot" is coming through loud and clear. also

quote:

The pair were quick to point out that the Jackson films were not their only inspiration. “The universe that this show wants to be in is Tolkien’s—and that’s an umbrella over Peter’s films—and Led Zeppelin, John Howe’s paintings, and The Hobbit cartoon,” McKay says.

Not gonna lie, if they could somehow close an episode with The Immigrant Song or No Quarter my 13 year-old self would be pretty darn psyched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
In other visual LOTR news....
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-release-date-1235181646/

quote:

‘Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim’ Anime Feature Set for April 2024 Release by Warner Bros. (EXCLUSIVE)

“The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” — the original anime feature from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Animation — is set for release on April 12, 2024 from Warner Bros. Pictures, Variety can report exclusively.

Set roughly two centuries before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings,” “The War of the Rohirrim” will explore the exploits of Helm Hammerhand, the King of Rohan, and the creation of Helm’s Deep, the stronghold featured in Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.”

Kenji Kamiyama (the TV series “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” and “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex”) is directing with “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” producer Joseph Chou through his anime studio Sola Entertainment, which has been working on the film since it was announced in June 2021.

As can be seen in this exclusive first look at conceptual art from the film, “The War of the Rohirrim” is also drawing much of its creative DNA from Jackson’s six features set in Middle-earth. Philippa Boyens, who was part of the Oscar-winning screenwriting team for “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” trilogies, is executive producing the film. Phoebe Gittins, Boyens’ daughter, and writing partner Arty Papageorgiou are penning the screenplay based on a script from Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews. And the creative team includes Richard Taylor, who won Oscars for makeup and visual effects for “The Lord of the Rings,” and Tolkien illustrator John Howe.

Voice cast announcements are expected soon.

“I’m in awe of the creative talent who have come together to bring this epic, heart-pounding story to life, from the mastery of Kenji Kamiyama to a truly stellar cast,” Boyens says.

“The ‘Lord of the Rings’ films took Tolkien’s masterwork to new cinematic heights and inspired a generation,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich. “It’s a gift to be able to revisit Middle-earth with many of the same creative visionaries and the talented Kenji Kamiyama at the helm. This will be an epic portrayal unlike anything audiences have ever seen.”

Warner Bros.’ movement on the anime “Lord of the Rings” film comes at a time when the studio is in a dispute with the Saul Zaentz Co., the longtime owner of “LOTR” film and TV rights, over whether Warner Bros. has done enough development on the franchise to maintain its hold on live-action and animated film rights. Variety reported last week that Zaentz Co. is putting its Tolkien holdings on the block, which spurred questions about “LOTR” activity within Warner Bros.

The last live-action Tolkien film, 2014’s “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,” grossed $940 million worldwide; all six films have earned over $5.8 billion. “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” won 11 Oscars, including best picture, tying the record for a single movie.

“The War of the Rohirrim” is also totally separate from Amazon Prime Video’s Middle-earth series “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power,” which is set millennia before the events of Jackson’s movies.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mahoning posted:

Howard Shore is back!

I don't know what to do with this information. :ohdear:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The more I hear these guys talk the more pessimistic I feel. Hopefully I'm wrong.

How could this not make you happy? It’s the most Tolkien thing ever.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I liked Blade Runner Black Lotus despite the uncanny valley of the character's faces. Literally everything else about it was cool af including the animation (except the faces)

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Mahoning posted:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/10-burning-questions-about-amazons-the-rings-of-power

Howard Shore is back!

That teaser poster featuring a sword with the sunburst on the hilt is Narsil

John Howe is working on the show

Also, their rights include everything in the LOTR books and the Hobbit, including appendices. But they can feature characters like say Gil-Galad simply from the song in…..is it Fellowship?

It sounds like they have the right ideas.

I don't like the Narsil design, though. I liked how Peter Jackson made sure it looked a bit dwarfey, especially around the pommel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress, Kenji Kamiyama, really? At least it's not Shinji Aramaki but I've been really annoyed at their massively overproduced but still dirt cheap looking CGI anime.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Mahoning posted:

I pretty much already assumed the elves would sound like upper class English people.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Give the Elves Finnish accents, cowards.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I pretty much already assumed the elves would sound like upper class English people.

Uhhh that’s not what I meant. I meant certain races speaking in iambs and others in trochees. That is SO Tolkien

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will flip and forgive all other trespasses if they speak in OE alliterative verse during normal conversation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

There is a difference between creating your own story while being informed by lore/narratives that existed before and changing an already existing story to fit your creative vision.

Tolkin did not write "Lord of the Rings - A Beowolf Novel" but his own original story.

How faithful an adaption is to the original is a valid discussion in my view, even though a very loose adaption is not necessarily bad.

Turin is based on a Finnish folktale

Numenor is literally (literally ) Atlantis

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mahoning posted:

If nothing else, a number of people working on this care a lot. That bodes well. I'm ready for it to be trash, but these are good things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Yeah that actually could be very good

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Mahoning posted:

Highbrow dialogue: "my AXE is LODGED in HIS nerVOUS sysTEM!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Not gonna lie, if they could somehow close an episode with The Immigrant Song or No Quarter my 13 year-old self would be pretty darn psyched.

Excuse you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_AfMHCVoxA

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

good grief

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Howard Shore is back!

That teaser poster featuring a sword with the sunburst on the hilt is Narsil

John Howe is working on the show

Also, their rights include everything in the LOTR books and the Hobbit, including appendices. But they can feature characters like say Gil-Galad simply from the song in…..is it Fellowship?

That season one writers room was packed with talented minds who know a thing or two about creating in the genre space. Game of Thrones’ Bryan Cogman worked, briefly, to get the project started, while Jason Cahill (Fringe, Halt and Catch Fire), Stephany Folsom (Thor Ragnarok), Justin Doble (Stranger Things), Gennifer Hutchison (Breaking Bad), Helen Shang (Hannibal), and Glenise Mullins (Star Trek: Discovery) fleshed out the rest of the team.

these are mostly shows that suck balls

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the reason i think it wont be good is that most modern shows (and movies, like anything jj abrams) like that tend to meander and lack an ethical or philosophical core, tolkien needs catholicism to work and i think theres no chance in hell theyll buck the trend this time and have a consistent tone and thrust without character driven filler and sideshows about an elf who wants to gently caress a dwarf or whatever

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the best I'll be getting out of this is like what I get out of those neat paintings people do of the setting. Just leave the interpretation to the viewer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My reason for concern would be the amount of original material/dialogue they'll have to write for this. Got did manage to write some good stuff that didn't originate with Grrm but a lot of their original material sucked rear end and trying to properly capture the spirit of Tolkien is even a harder task than channeling Grmm imo.

Of course it's an adaptation so it doesn't have to perfectly capture the tone of Tolkien's stuff but there's a lot of potential to veer way off the rails here, for better or worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean there's a lot of headroom between "close enough to JRRT dialogue that it's sort of uncanny valley, but ehh good enough" and "axe in nervous system"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

I mean there's a lot of headroom between "close enough to JRRT dialogue that it's sort of uncanny valley, but ehh good enough" and "axe in nervous system"

and orc menus

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

if they stick to the meters thing that can help a lot to at the very least avoid the most modern stuff working its way in

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

and orc menus

You lost me there. That line owns. I absolutely love it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mahoning posted:

You lost me there. That line owns. I absolutely love it.

yeah, it's a very funny line, just not at all tolkienish

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Just treat it like there's a Red Book of Westmarch the dialogue is translated from, it's not like the orcs spoke English

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The menu line is kind of stupid but it’s not THAT far off the way orcs talk. They have a noticeably more colloquial and modern mode of speech. The biggest problem with it is it makes them out to be cannibals, which is very shabby accusation to make about orcs. You can argue forever about whether it’s reasonable that orcs would know about menus but it’s not among the worst one-liners they came up with for the movies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unfortunately "menu" doesn't appear to have an Anglo-Saxon translation

At the mercy of the Normans once again

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure the concept of a menu even exists in that world. When the Hobbits go to Bree they don't order anything, they're fed and given beer but it's brought out to them and not something they sit there and order. Without modern transportation it would be pretty difficult if not impossible to run a restaurant in the way we'd be accustomed to. In the context of lotr, it's probably more like a standing fee you pay at the inn to get boarded/fed/drink. I doubt there's a la carte services.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Menus are a lost Numenorean technology. Guarantee the coffeehouses of Andunie at its height had very tasteful menus

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Two flung themselves to the ground at Éomer’s heels, tripped him, and in a moment they were on top of him. But a small dark figure that none had observed sprang out of the shadows and gave a hoarse shout: Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

:hmmyes:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Were restaurants invented by the French. Did they independently invent restaurants in other parts of the world.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Menu does not imply a la carte imho. It’s just a list of what’s available for food and drink

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd be kinda down for letting Númenor be quite a bit more advanced than "Third Age Minas Tirith", as per the original steam-engines concept.

Maybe not "Age of Legends" style, but coffeehouses and electric lights maybe?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Were restaurants invented by the French. Did they independently invent restaurants in other parts of the world.

Ancient Romans had restaurants/outdoor lunch counters, because not everyone in the big cities had their own kitchen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopolium?wprov=sfti1

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The orc(1) that says that line is from orthanc which actually has tons of food and different foods .

1 orc-human

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

The orc(1) that says that line is from orthanc which actually has tons of food and different foods .

1 orc-human

Are the fighting Uruk-hai still part men in the movies? I thought they were just designed slime beasts

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I figure Orcs don't have restaurants but could conceivably have mess halls or canteens as part of Mordor and Isengard's industrialized militarism, and those could have "menus" in the sense of what's available on any given day. But maybe I'm unclear on how the word is used since I'm not a native English speaker.

That or they picked up the word while raiding human taverns and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

Are the fighting Uruk-hai still part men in the movies? I thought they were just designed slime beasts

Yeah I guess the movies confuse it .