Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shazback posted:

I can't understand how Google can be so supremely incompetent at times.

it's because promotions and raises inside google come from visibility, visibility comes from a successful launch of a novel product, novel products come from keeping your plans confidential internally, and at no time has an incremental improvement that benefits users ever been novel at google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
It's so funny though when Google so desperately wants to be like Apple, but I can't imagine Jobs letting half as much unfinished stuff be released. I changed phone (Android to Android) recently, and I had to do a whole song and dance just to transfer my SMS messages (not the same size SIM card), which I found hilarious given that seemed to be so obviously something that would have been foreseen and integrated into the basic app, or managed through a cloud transfer/record-keeping system.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Shazback posted:

It's so funny though when Google so desperately wants to be like Apple, but I can't imagine Jobs letting half as much unfinished stuff be released. I changed phone (Android to Android) recently, and I had to do a whole song and dance just to transfer my SMS messages (not the same size SIM card), which I found hilarious given that seemed to be so obviously something that would have been foreseen and integrated into the basic app, or managed through a cloud transfer/record-keeping system.

You're holding it wrong. My messages transfered instantly, seamlessly, and perfectly. As did all my apps and settings.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Smythe posted:

You're holding it wrong. My messages transfered instantly, seamlessly, and perfectly. As did all my apps and settings.

Hangouts didn't transfer my SMS/MMSes. I switched the "default" SMS app to Messenger and started again from a factory reset, and it didn't work either. I suck at Androiding.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's because promotions and raises inside google come from visibility, visibility comes from a successful launch of a novel product, novel products come from keeping your plans confidential internally, and at no time has an incremental improvement that benefits users ever been novel at google

its true i've read it on hacker news/this forum many many times.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dazjw posted:

its true i've read it on hacker news/this forum many many times.

i mean i'm sure there are exceptions for "core services" i.e. ones that generate revenue on their own

but nothing in duo or allo or anything couldn't be a hangouts feature and nothing in hangouts couldn't've been a gtalk feature

except hubris

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Shazback posted:

Hangouts didn't transfer my SMS/MMSes. I switched the "default" SMS app to Messenger and started again from a factory reset, and it didn't work either. I suck at Androiding.

Hangouts has seamlessly synced my every text and phone call across all my devices for many years without so much as a hiccup. That's the degree to which you are holding it wrong. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shazback posted:

but I can't imagine Jobs letting half as much unfinished stuff be released.

Since he died you have not needed to imagine, as that's just reality now. Can't wait to buy a tripple dongle combo pack so i can use headphones and my Apple Pencil at the same time.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Smythe posted:

Hangouts has seamlessly synced my every text and phone call across all my devices for many years without so much as a hiccup. That's the degree to which you are holding it wrong. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

epic samery, op

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
buhhh why didn't hangouts transfer my smses from one google account to another
guhgf why don't mmses on my old phone number show up under my new phone number

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

this probably comprises 50% of my time spent in chrome these days

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

He sees Google's products as split broadly into three bands: Allo and Duo for consumers; Hangouts for the enterprise; and services that are more carrier focused — like SMS, RCS, and even the Phone app.

:cripes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
do these people ever actually use their phones? like, for anything? or do they just have an assistant to deal with all that?

i can't imagine anyone who sends text messages on a daily basis thinking "yes, this is perfect, splitting my communications into three or four totally different apps depending on an irrelevant context"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

do these people ever actually use their phones? like, for anything? or do they just have an assistant to deal with all that?

i can't imagine anyone who sends text messages on a daily basis thinking "yes, this is perfect, splitting my communications into three or four totally different apps depending on an irrelevant context"

they do, but i think the issue is that they are morons, who should be fired. do you hear me google? merge everything into hangouts. don't make me come over there

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure they just hire xda superstars that only use their phones for flashing dev roms and tweaking poo poo and never actually use their phones the way a normal human does

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

nerds severely overestimate how much anyone cares about sms integration into hangouts or about the preponderance of messaging apps. i don't think i know anyone who actually cares that their social circles involve communicating over all of line/whatsapp/snapchat/fb/imessage.

i don't think i even care. it mattered on PCs when you didn't want to have all of ICQ/MSN/QQ/etc running all at the same time but if you don't have an android who cares how many apps you have installed on your phone

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dazjw posted:

nerds severely overestimate how much anyone cares about sms integration into hangouts or about the preponderance of messaging apps. i don't think i know anyone who actually cares that their social circles involve communicating over all of line/whatsapp/snapchat/fb/imessage.

i don't think i even care. it mattered on PCs when you didn't want to have all of ICQ/MSN/QQ/etc running all at the same time but if you don't have an android who cares how many apps you have installed on your phone

it just seems like it's easier to add on to the existing system rather than reinvent the wheel again

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

atomicthumbs posted:

they do, but i think the issue is that they are morons, who should be fired. do you hear me google? merge everything into hangouts. don't make me come over there

This.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

dazjw posted:

yeah nobody cares until it doesn't loving work. that's why everyone uses imessage instead of google's five apps.

apple has one app that works. that's it. that's all that should exist.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

hangouts was itself intended to be a Grand Unification of gtalk, g+ messenger (lol), gvoice, plain sms, and hangouts the video chat

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
well, sure merge everything into one app, i just wish it wasn't called "hangouts". a generic name like "messaging" or something would have been better, because you can translate that

also i want a standalone desktop client, i don't want to run a web browser for the functionality. especially since the hangouts browser app/extension sucks.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

it just seems like it's easier to add on to the existing system rather than reinvent the wheel again

nobody gets promoted by deciding to not create a product

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

anyone who wants an iphone in 2016 could have one so people who own androids explicitly want them. apple should just put imessage on android and charge a buck or two a month for it and rake in untold billions

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wheany posted:

well, sure merge everything into one app, i just wish it wasn't called "hangouts". a generic name like "messaging" or something would have been better, because you can translate that

also i want a standalone desktop client, i don't want to run a web browser for the functionality. especially since the hangouts browser app/extension sucks.

hangouts is the one slowest thing i use in a browser lmao

brb waiting like 10 seconds for hangouts.google.com to finish loading and show me a page of text converstion

oh poo poo i clicked a photo attachment better just go get a coffee while some deprecated g+ backend revs up to send me that

meanwhile i have a bunch of poo poo open in slack all the time and never need to think about it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Wheany posted:

They've already got one called "messaging" and it's the default nothing-else-installed SMS app.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
google had a really great product on their hands when it was called Google Talk. they could have probably taken over the entire world market for instant messaging from MSN messenger and AIM and ICQ if they had just kept the fuckin thing working the way it always did.

instead they changed everything for no reason as google does and now qq and whatsapp have eaten their lunch

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Progressive JPEG posted:

brb waiting like 10 seconds for hangouts.google.com to finish loading and show me a page of text converstion

oh poo poo i clicked a photo attachment better just go get a coffee while some deprecated g+ backend revs up to send me that

meanwhile i have a bunch of poo poo open in slack all the time and never need to think about it
i've literally opened hangouts.google.com in a browser before, i just use the thing in my google inbox tab or the mobile app

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

hangouts being rubbish didn't help but whatsapp/line/snapchat/etc ate its lunch by being phone number and phone-address-book based (almost certainly why allo/duo are doing this now).

just leaving hangouts as gtalk wouldn't have changed much if you and your friends all have to both have google accounts and know each other's accounts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Progressive JPEG posted:

You're holding it wrong. Personally, I use the hangouts chrome app that works great, instantly, and works flawlessly. I can even paste graphics from the clipboard straight into the reply box and it loads in a nanosecond. Take care.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
time for a beer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

time for a beer

Drinking a cool can of the king of beers rn

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
i use hangouts but admit it, its for dorks, it feels like the dorkiest chat app possible, even its stickers are dorky, even its name is almost microsoft levels of dorky, i only use it because dad doesnt have a phone number

allo despite probably being dead in the water due to starting from zero users is going to get a viral attention thing going because its photo recognition and smart reply stuff will generate heaps of ridiculous screenshots to share on social media

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it is abundantly clear that Google has no idea what to do if a consumer product doesn't become a self-sustaining viral hit.

it seems all they know is launch -> become so successful that you can arbitrarily break things without losing users. if a product doesn't take that trajectory they stand around staring at it for a while just in case then move on.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
i too am a hostage to broken google features due to my ecosystem investment and now mum with her 6p is too

when a feature stops working for an indefinite amount of time i personally just accept it now

edit: still would hate to go back to iphone but every bad thing people say about google is true

Sinjang fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 17, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

trying to be a hardware partner with google for in development google services is p lol btw

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the hangouts app works mostly fine on my iphone for like the two people i talk to on it. only thing that doesn't seem to work is that it won't clear a notification badge if i don't back out of a specific chat, which is kind of annoying

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the iOS hangouts app is much better than the android one.

this really pisses android-havers off btw and is thus funny

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i interviewed at google once and after an interview pulled out my iphone to show a picture of a project or something. i made some joke about having an iphone at google and the interviewer said "oh don't worry about it half the company has iphones"

i assume thats the good half of the company

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

hobbesmaster posted:

i interviewed at google once and after an interview pulled out my iphone to show a picture of a project or something. i made some joke about having an iphone at google and the interviewer said "oh don't worry about it half the company has iphones"

i assume thats the good half of the company

uh yeah and 80% of them use MacBook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yes but google doesn't sell an ecosystem for development laptops

• Locked thread